• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Health trivia: Did you know? (Add yours)

Bumping this thread:

Cruciferous vegetables are a class of vegetables including broccoli, cabbage, and brussels sprouts.

Brussels sprouts and others that are overcooked can have a pungent odor due to a sulfur compound. While not very tasty, compound may actually inhibit colon cancer formation.

These veggies are high in vitamins and fiber, but also can interfere with the thyroid and increase drug metabolism by CPY450 enzyme.

Still, the health benefits likely outweigh the negatives, eat up! (I find that adding lime juice to these veggies greatly helps their flavor and gets rid of any pungent odor due to overcooking)

^ Do they have to be overcooked for the compound to be released, or is it just in there for your body to utilize? I rarely cook Brussels/broc/cabbage longer than a quick steam/stir-fry--They never taste bitter or anything, always delicious. :p

Bumping this thread:

Cruciferous vegetables are a class of vegetables including broccoli, cabbage, and brussels sprouts.

Brussels sprouts and others that are overcooked can have a pungent odor due to a sulfur compound. While not very tasty, compound may actually inhibit colon cancer formation.

These veggies are high in vitamins and fiber, but also can interfere with the thyroid and increase drug metabolism by CPY450 enzyme.

Still, the health benefits likely outweigh the negatives, eat up! (I find that adding lime juice to these veggies greatly helps their flavor and gets rid of any pungent odor due to overcooking)

I love broccoli and cabbage and not bothered about sprouts.

And lime juice makes everything great :D I add it to everything! A wee squeeze of lime in all my teas, glasses of water, anything I cook!

eppileptics who listen to Mozart have less seizures appernetly?? dont know if it is true but found on the net :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1251839.stm

this is one of a few articles I found on it.

as for the chocolate well, if you are coughing too much to eat it it would defo not work then lol, I think it means more for a mild cough. But next time I have a cough I will try it and let you if it actually works, ok it is any excuse to have chocolate lol

eppileptics who listen to Mozart have less seizures appernetly?? dont know if it is true but found on the net :)

I've always loved classical music for the relaxing journey it takes you on, but since abusing drugs to the point where my seizure threshold is significantly lower and having had suffered 4 near-fatal grand mal seizures, I can attest to this being true.

Every night I listen to various classical music artists and really feel it helps me feel more "stable", for lack of a better word. It's a difficult feeling to describe, when you kind of know you are on the brink. Not that you will definitely have one, but there are times (and this is something only those who have suffered from or do suffer from seizures will understand truly) when you just feel close to it.
Various things can help take you out of that such as drinking water and replenishing your glycogen stores, lying down and/or having a snooze, listening to relaxing ambient/classical music and meditation.

My fun fact is:
Simple good old magnesium (in IV sulfate form) can help alleviate seizures and epilepsy (notably in pregnant women during the 3rd trimester). It relaxes the muscles and blocks neuromuscular transmission.
As a fatter of mact, magnesium can alleviate anxiety and depression as well. Many find it lifts the mood and relieves anxiety effectively.
Magnesium is a really great mineral, absolutely vital to the cellular function and every organ in the body.