• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Has weed fucked you/anyone you know up?

Cannabis ruined my life and gave me paranoid schizophrenia and sever anxiety, got me arrested and hospitalised. I am on meds to this day because of my previous cannabis addiction.

Yet your name is Benzo man?
Could it be possible that maybe you had a problem with benzos at one point?
Because withdrawal from that sounds quite like what you described .

Also, can we narrow down these 'Weed fucked up my friends life' to , people who STRICTLY used marijuana not in conjecture with other drugs.

Also, "Imissmybrain", Gastritis is a very common, unspoken of effect of very regular marijuana use. Many people goto the E.R. , or doctor , with severe complaints of stomach discomfort.
This , usually isn't diagnosed properly because many people lie about their drug use to their doctor. Look up Cannabinoid Hypermesis Syndrome, tell me if that matches up with anything? Because I used to get that when I was a heavy smoker (Morning, Mid morning, Mid after noon, after noon, you get the point)
I would get extremely sick in the morning and couldn't quite figure out why. Until I stopped.

Also, Alot of the effects you mention are effects that seem to be alleviated when stopping the use of marijuana, as I'm sure many people here would agree. Just because you're body reacts differently to a drug doesn't give you any right what so ever to blame the people in this thread or on this website. You should be looking after your own health and not having people on the internet do it for you. Please don't take this as me being rude, quite the opposite, I just think you need to look a little deeper into the problem.

If 100 people smoke weed, have side effects, and of those 100, 99 of them have side effects that subside, are you seriously going to sit and blame the 99 people because they didn't have adverse effects and told you so?

I've heard it preached on here hundreds of times.
-Know your mind, your body, and your soul. -

-Sorry if I was taking this in the wrong direction, apologies if that is the case.

Last edited:

Very smart listing your number on the internet, asking for drugs :) either that or you are trolling and that's a police number, possible as well. Anyways sourcing is not allowed here. This is a harm reduction forum, if it was implicated in criminal activity they could shut it down...

More on point: I've got a lot of negative effects from weed, anxiety, paranoia, social awkwardness, low self esteem (I know these are issues that were already present, but weed exacerbates them)... But it has influenced me more in a positive way than it did in a negative way, so I'm quite content I met MJ about 12 years ago, even though I regret abusing her like I do =D

Last edited by a moderator:
I will never understand some peoples' will-power...or lack thereof. How does anyone become addicted to weed? It's beyond my comprehension. If a person doesn't like the effects of weed, then I fully understand...but to say you became a weed addict? I find that very hard to believe...do you tear the room apart looking for resin? Crush stems to smoke?:?

Addictions are easy to understand, and cannabis is very similar to other drug addictions. Why is it so hard to believe that people can get addicted to weed, which is becoming ever more potent these days as drug dealers and growers seek to get more people hooked on the stuff to profit off it?

I see it this way: many people drink alcohol socially. They might think, "I just don't understand how someone could get addicted to alcohol! I just have a few drinks with my friends to wind down"... but the rare person they just have one drink and they become a different person, they lose control and they go on hardcore benders, they just can't stop. It's not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that person, I know plenty of average people who got caught up in drugs. It's possible for people to be strong minded and have self control and wind up with drug addictions, it's almost like a disease, you need the drug for your body to function. As soon as the drug is in your system, you become a different person. Self control, common sense, logic and reason go out the window... the drug is in the front seat.

If I didn't have weed, I would become severely depressed and anxious, and I wouldn't be able to eat food without puking at first and it would take weeks to get my appetite back. I was a gym rat, but I had to take time off of the gym because I was "dope sick" and I couldn't eat. I wouldn't be able to sleep, I'd be up all night shaking. The severe rebound depression would last for at least 2 weeks, and for that time I would be bedridden, I'd be depressed over nothing for more like a month - for the first 3 days I would literally be suicidal and I'd think of slitting my wrists and shit like that - THAT IS NOT NORMAL FOR ME - and the rebound anxiety would take even longer to recover from. This was quite clearly a withdrawal and I recognized it as so: I was waiting to see the next day, throughout these miserable time periods. Eventually, I would feel great again, like my good old self who never had much anxiety or depression before I got addicted to cannabis. Except that my brain was still primed for addiction - if I took so much as one little puff after a 3 month break, I'd be a fiend with withdrawals again a couple weeks down the road.

If I was broke, I would smoke empty pipes. I would go to smoking sections in school grounds in search of roaches to hit from my pipe. I would steal from my grandmothers in order to get a hit, and I was completely out of control. I would pawn stuff from my little brother. I just couldn't handle the agony of the withdrawal, I was so desperate to get that hit and then my body would stop freaking out... I would NEVER do any of that now that I have quit weed, looking back it had turned me into a monster. You don't need to tell me I was junkie scum back then, I know damn well that I was. It was the #1 priority over anything else. There was no way you could stop me, I needed that fucking hit... and it was absolutely pointless, I never had a good reason to smoke weed. There was no medicinal reason for me to smoke weed at all, I was addicted to chasing the euphoria of the high. I started using it to experiment with my consciousness and have fun with my friends, I was never forewarned that it had addictive properties... once I realized I was hooked it was already too late. It took me years of failed attempts to finally beat the miserable habit.

Like other addictions, this one progressed over time. I needed more and more weed, I would never be satisfied. I smoked more than I could afford or than I needed to in order to stay high my whole life. It was like being a crack fiend. I would take a big oil dab. 20 minutes later I would take a big bong rip. I'd never be satisfied with how high I was, because I wasn't capable of getting enjoyable highs anymore. I had lost the pleasure of the drug completely. I was using it solely for the purpose of warding off miserable withdrawal symptoms and satisfying an uncontrollable urge for more and more dope.

I just find it weird how people don't think this can happen with weed... I've seen more than a few cases. It's more powerful of a drug than people give it credit for. My main point is that most people don't get addicted, so they think it's impossible for others to get addicted. It's generally a pretty safe drug, I'm not anti-marijuana or anything like that. I had a HUGE problem with it though, it was ruining my life. It's not like everyone who gets drunk with their friends recreationally winds up as an alcoholic... but that's exactly how it happens sometimes. It starts off as a party, before you know it their hangovers turn into 3 day withdrawals that are relieved by more booze. I know only one or two alcoholics, and I know hundreds of binge drinkers. It doesn't mean that those alcohol fiends are not out there, who would exhibit similar behaviour as I used to except they would be less functional while drunk than I would be as a pothead.

I held a job as an engineer for 6 months as a big pothead, I would chair meetings and shit like that and nobody had a clue. So long as the drug was in my system, I was completely normal. Otherwise, I would be a total wreck and it would be two months before I had recovered by about 90%. But 2 hours into my shift as an engineer I started fiending for another hit, and it would be in my mind until lunch time when I would REALLY start to freak out... I'd race my car home like a maniac to get back to the volcano, thinking about that beautiful hit the whole time, and hit it like crazy for half an hour before heading back to work, at which point I could function completely normally again, in an attempt to stay high for as long as possible so that I wouldn't hit the withdrawal by the end of my shift.

Now that I don't smoke weed anymore, these problems have been resolved. I couldn't give a fuck less about that silly plant, that consumed my life for so long and left me with serious long term effects, notably extreme anxiety that I never had before I abused marijuana. I never had a panic attack in my life until I quit weed once and for all. Obviously, abusing a powerful consciousness altering drug to this extent is going to have some long term effects on the brain. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that I was a weed junkie, it's weird how people will flat out deny it. I get that we want it legalized, but we don't have to pretend that it is always, in every case, a harmless drug and that everyone has a medicinal reason to benefit from it. Recreational use of weed? That doesn't make sense! Withdrawal? Hold on a minute! Are you fucking kidding me here?! No, is this some sort of joke! You're an utter fool to think that a powerful euphoria inducing drug can cause addiction! I was depressed and anxious to begin with, right? Except that I was not, not whatsoever to the extent that I speak of. I was not in any way mentally ill. As my addiction progressed, side effects including different forms of anxiety, psychosis, and depression began to emerge.

I mean, it's not even you who had the problem. We're talking about myself here, and I know just what my issue was. I lived through that miserable hell of having a silly, pointless addiction to a stupid weed. I was obsessed and consumed by the cannabis plant for many years, now that I don't smoke weed anymore, I'm not fiending for a hit and I am living a normal life. My life isn't perfect but I have recovered from most of the ways in which weed was fucking with my head. It was the weed that was the problem, not me. Well it was myself of course, but it was my lack of control over my weed use and the psychological and physical side effects of the withdrawal that led me to be hooked like this. As soon as I smoked weed, I would turn into a different person who lost control. Really, I wanted off the shit the whole time. I just couldn't quit, it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. Take weed out of the picture, give me a good few months to withdraw, and the problems would be resolved.

Luckily, I finally managed to get off it and I'm nearly one year clean. I am feeling so much better now, so that's my story of weed addiction and withdrawal. I'll never smoke that stuff again as long as I live though, it obviously fucked with my head. If you can smoke it all day long and you have no issues, then that's great. Keep it up, I hang out with plenty of stoners and I don't mind at all. I just think it stinks like shit now. Drugs have different effects on different brains. There's nothing to be proud of though, it's just a weed that gets you baked. People talk themselves up about how they can handle so much weed, like it's a boost to their ego. Who the fuck cares? There is so much more to life than a silly weed. It is highly overrated and generally unimportant in the grand scheme of things. I'm not missing out on anything, my life is significantly better without it.

By the way, it took a full 6 months for the obsession and cravings to go away. Before that, it was a constant internal battle with myself, like I had a split personality and I was always confused. Am I quitting the dope? Should I get back on the dope? On one side, I was only "taking a break" so that I could enjoy weed again after I went through the hell. On the other hand, I was beating that harmful pest to a bloody pulp and saving my soul from one hell of a bad habit. The voice of reason eventually prevailed.

Last edited:
^
I recognize a lot of aspects from this post, though to a less extreme degree. Don't know if I'm all for saying "yeah it's a straight up addiction in the traditional sense of the word" but indeed for some people it wreaks real havoc on certain aspects of their life and their mental state. However for me it does have medicinal qualities (psychological ones, concentration being one of them, it's also a stimulant for me for some reason) and imho that makes it even harder to quit, as I do get a lot of positive effects from smoking, which I lose if I stop. The downsides start to outweigh the benefits over the years though

I'm not going to elaborate but I too have done some very questionable things just to get high. It's this little voice that takes control once you are sober and out of weed which makes you go out and get more, almost on auto-pilot. And a few minutes after the first few hits you think "here we go, I've done it again"

Ah well at least it's not heroin or something. I'll quit when the time is right. I've had enough failed attempts. The next one is going to be the final one, so this time I'm going to make sure I am first in such a good place in my life that smoking becomes redundant. I'm going to wait until I have my life fully on tracks first, which imho is going to make quitting much easier. It's shameful to know a stupid plant has such a grip on you, but hey it isn't the end of the world =D I'll manage. And it has made for very interesting times, memories I will carry with me forever, but it's time to move on

Oh one more thing: it's because of weed that I never tried any drugs that had any real addiction potential. I only did the harder kinds of drugs that do not have physical addiction. This is because I was very much aware of how bad I am at impulse control even with something as benign as weed. This is something I am grateful for, as almost all my mates from when I was really young have crashed, burned and damaged themselves beyond recognition with amp and coke. It was very easy for me to say no which is, if you knew the kind of people I hung out with when I was 16, a very very good thing. It would have cost me my head. For me weed was not a stepping stone drug, on the contrary, it made me make some very good decisions along the way when presented with a plethora of different drugs

Last edited:
I guess you would have had to see me try and eat a small sandwich at midnight, after skipping 3 meals because I didn't feel hungry, and then puking my guts a few minutes later and dry heaving, getting fed up with not being able to eat and taking a hit, then raiding my fridge and feasting on everything in sight to make up for a days loss of nutrition, to see what was going on: a hardcore physical dependency. I wanted out, but my body wouldn't let me. I consider not being able to eat food pretty serious, and that was just one of many symptoms. This was going on for so long, so many years and it was so consistently in alignment with the lack of cannabis in my system, that I am doubtless that it was a physical dependency on cannabis in order for my digestive system to operate, completely unrelated to anxiety or anything like that. If that's not a serious addiction, then what the fuck is? Like it wasn't going to kill me, but heroin addiction is typically non life threatening and technically it's "all in your head" but people have no trouble saying that's a crazy addictive substance. Plus I loved the stuff so much it was like a romantic affair, I think I cared about weed more than I cared about my girlfriend... now it's just a stinky ditch weed to me haha.

I get that this isn't common, and that weed has different effects on people. But I think that in order to see who you are without weed in your life, involves taking at least a year off the stuff if you are using it daily. For most people, this isn't going to happen, so people might be deluded into thinking the effects are beneficial because they have to wait a really long time to see with clarity that weed was bring them down. Or that keeping up a weed habit is the path of least resistance, so people just go with it. Things tend to worsen before they improve, even if the withdrawal effects are mild.

I mean I can only speak for myself, it's not like I'm calling out every daily smoker on being an addict, or that it doesn't have positive effects sometimes. That's ridiculous. All I care about is how much weed I smoke (which is none whatsoever), not how much other people smoke. But I'd just be careful with the weed and treat it with respect. If you are using it on a regular basis and never take long breaks, I would be cautious in making claims about how it affects you positively or negatively. How would you know, if you're always stoned. But I think that it is typical for people to make claims like it helps them sleep, because they would have sleep disturbances for a month if they didn't ever smoke, and they never take a break that long. I'd just call it what it is for most people: getting high. I find it highly suspicious that everyone I know in life is either "on the dope" and stoned every single time I see them without question, or "off the dope"... there seems to be little middle ground here.

I have no qualms with people who use drugs, including cannabis which usually isn't a big deal, although it has definitely without question ruined many lives. It made me lazy and stupid too, there's no denying that I'm feeling a lot smarter now and I have a significantly increased motivational drive which took months to pick up again. But when people get all caught up in weed and try to make it a part of their identity, and will stick up for it over their common man, that's just silly. So many people will put it on the pedestal like that, when it's just a weed that gets you baked. There's nothing magical about it, and it's usually purely for recreation. There's no need to get defensive over a plant that you smoke, there's nothing stopping you from smoking it, and there's no shame in using it just to get high and trip out, or to experiment with your consciousness, or to wind down at the end of the day, or all day even. There's also no shame in having cravings for it, or making it a regular part of your life and using it on a regular basis. But I think that people are highly motivated to use this drug because it effects the pleasure and reward centres of the brain, which is great. It's a relatively safe way to get high. There's no need to act like it's an effective medicine that is harmless when 99% of the time it is used recreationally or simply out of habit, and that it never does any damage. It clearly does damage some people, and it's possible to have long term effects from using it too much.

I suffer from full blown panic disorder ever since I quit. Weed without a doubt played its part, although it wasn't the only factor for me. I suffer from long term chronic pain in my spine, which would drive anybody mad after awhile. Weed never did shit for my pain, unfortunately. Eventually I had a mental breakdown which was mainly due to the constant excruciating pain in my spine, but my addiction to weed was a constant stressor too and I can't deny that. By the way, my injury in the gym happened a couple years ago. I was addicted to weed long before then, so everything I wrote above is unrelated to this problem of mine. But I started smoking way more weed once I hurt myself, and I started getting panic attacks after I began hitting the hash oil. I'm not saying the weed caused the panic attacks, I don't think it did because the chronic pain I experience is much worse than any weed withdrawal I have been through. I have very severe pain in my spine. But the only times I ever had panic attacks before I quit weed, was when I smoked too much weed on occasion. Never sober. And when I quit weed after smoking way too much of it, that's when I started getting them when I was sober. There seems to be a direct correlation, although it's hard to say because chronic pain would drive anyone bonkers too.

Last edited:
For me it's the other way around. I smoke about 2-3 grams of high grade stuff daily, have been for about 7 years. After years of daily smoking I have developed a pretty solid psychological dependence to it. But not a physical one. Because if I smoke weed I can't sleep, I can't eat and I get active. Heart-rate increases, physical activity increases and I can concentrate 10x better than when sober. It's been like that for me since I lit my first joint. It is a stimulant for me, and I have no doubt that that's not psychological, it is a physical response to the drug. So whenever I quit I gain weight because I eat a lot more as soon as I quit. I'm a very skinny guy, until I quit smoking, then my body returns to baseling. I sleep better as soon as soon as I quit, from day 1. If I smoke inside an hour of going to bed I lie awake for at least 1.5h. Downside is I lose that stimulation, I get less active, my concentration is back to how it was before I started smoking (very bad) and I generally feel less inclined to be talkative and social. And this is not a temporary withdrawal effect or something. I was like that before I started smoking and I return to that baseline as soon as I quit

So I developed no physical dependence, on the contrary my body returns to 'normal' function as soon as I quit which has its' downsides. I am however not saying physical dependence is impossible. The only thing I aim to do with my post is a comparison. It seems like this dependence can take on many different forms. What complicates it for me is that I use cannabis as a tool foremost, as it has stimulant properties for me. That makes it harder to quit because I lose those effects

but heroin addiction is typically non life threatening and technically it's "all in your head" but people have no trouble saying that's a crazy addictive substance.

This is however something I strongly disagree with. It's not technically all in your head, it is very much in your body as well. The withdrawal symptoms are absolutely brutal and I do not think physical withdrawal from weed would be anything near as bad (it doesn't however surprise me physical dependence is possible, not saying you don't experience this)

Last edited:
All I meant is that, it has to do with the opioids leaving the brain. It's the brain-body connection that is leading to the physical symptoms. The main side effect of opioid abuse is constipation isn't it? I don't think there's any evidence of physical damage that it does. Of course people get sick as dogs when they withdraw from opioid abuse. Same with my weed addiction, how there was a physical basis for the withdrawal symptoms in my brain. It is a part of the brain that the conscious mind cannot control, like how I couldn't eat food because my brain was fucked up. I was having extreme panic attacks too, 24/7 around the clock for months. I could not control the adrenaline racing to my heart creating intense tightness in my chest like my heart was being ripped out of my body and I was about to die. There were SO many physical symptoms, constant nausea. The cravings were the last thing on my mind, I was fighting for my life. I won't get into it anymore, because you wouldn't believe how bad my withdrawal was. Nobody would, I was strung the fuck out from a silly weed and I don't want to get flamed for making that claim. What happened to me when I quit, will stay with me. And it technically did, as I am still suffering 10 MONTHS later from problems I didn't even know existed before I quit weed for the 4th and final time. It was worse than anything I mentioned above though, I had a complete mental breakdown when I finally gave it up and I have yet to recover almost a year later. I had to see addiction specialists, councillors, and multiple doctors in order to get clean. For the first 3 months I completely isolated myself from society as well. But that's enough of that. The shit fucked me up.

It doesn't sound like you have a problem with weed, you don't need to defend your weed use. It does sound like you are mildly addicted, since you claim to have tried to quit. Perhaps it is beneficial, and it does sound like it man. I didn't mean any harm or to get in a debate. Your pot use sounds like it does you well. This topic is about people who fucked themselves up smoking too much weed. I am a classic example of the worst that can happen. It wasn't too far off from being a straight up junkie. Of course everyone will retaliate to this claim... and I get that, but every single person I know in life would agree with this claim I am making. I know darn well what it's like to be "dope sick." Everybody wanted to see me quit because it was fucking with my head so bad and I was destroying myself.

It always seems to wind up with people defending their use of the herb. Fuck, it's just a weed that's not worth a damn to even talk about really. I only write to warn other constant abusers of what can happen. Smoke it all day, that shit just might fuck with your head after a few years, if you're one of the unlucky ones. It's sure as hell no vitamin or natural herbal supplement. I really don't think it's healthy.

Last edited:
My aim was not to defend my use. There's really no point in doing so because those are my choices, I don't care what anyone else thinks of them. It wasn't to start a debate either, as I do not disagree with you about anything. It's just that I read your post and thought to myself "damn that's an extreme and unique situation he's/she's in. Perhaps I should also share my situation as I view it to be unique as well. Maybe it could provide some contrast for him/her". I found it interesting to see what different forms this dependence can take and wanted to share this. I am not one of those people that thinks "such a thing like weed addiction is impossible" or "physical withdrawal symptoms are bullshit". I once thought even psychological addiction is impossible with weed and I now find myself in this situation so why can physical addiction not happen for some other people? I am not flaming your claim, I would be the last person to do so. In stead I am saying that that's extreme, but looking at what powerful effects (negative and positive) it has on me it doesn't surprise me one bit. Especially not with how powerful some strains and forms (hash oil, edibles, ...) of weed have become. It is highly psychoactive, the effects are not subtle with some strains and forms, they are intense. So it's only logical that such a thing is possible, though extreme...

I have a pretty solid psychological dependence to it, not a mild one. Perhaps I should have put a bit more emphasis on the negative sides, as weed is detrimental for my motivation and self esteem. So much so that it hardly outweighs the benefits anymore. I've indeed tried to quit multiple times. Made it up to 2 months. As soon as I forget what it was like to be stoned 24/7 I relapse. And I've done some really bad shit to be able to buy weed and because of this habit in general, don't want to elaborate much but I'll say I caused a lot of grief to people around me. I do have a problem with weed, a pretty big one. However in my case it's psychological, purely psychological, it causes low self esteem, anxiety, slight depression and so on. But it also provides benefits. However it is time I move on, but I have got to plan this right this time, so I'm taking it slow and I'm taking steps to ease the process. I wish you all the best. Your story made for a good read and some insights into weed dependence...

Last edited:
Those are common side effects man. I think it's safe to say that they would clear up if you stopped (but that it takes a while). Would it be worth it though? Only you can make that call, perhaps there isn't any harm in taking a break and finding out for yourself. Or just smoke that weed, and try to make sure you have the money for it in the future. It's generally better to be using weed than other drugs, if you can manage your habit. I found that for a very long while, it was only an issue if I ran out. I also found it to be a stimulant drug, and to the extent that if I smoked too much of it at one time I would get a panic attack. Depending on how much I smoked though - if I smoked too frequently it would become less of a stimulant, and more of a depressant that made me lazy / burnt out etc... but then when I quit I would get panic attacks and rebound anxiety.

Perhaps I didn't put enough emphasis on the few positives that I got out of my habit. Usually I had the money for it. It used to make me feel great, too. I experienced strong consciousness altering, psychedelic effects from weed and I was still able to function so long as I had it. I was generally a happy person as a pothead. I had low self esteem, but I was generally extremely calm. No anxiety while high unless I smoked too much. When I was stealing money and stuff for it, that was when I was much younger before I had a real job. The physical withdrawals came about long down the road, maybe 7 years after I started smoking. Even with those kind of symptoms, I was still living a relatively normal life apart from the constant fiending of bong rips which was a little time consuming, unhealthy, and excessive. I spiralled out of control when I had the injury to my spine, and I lost my career because I couldn't function in so much pain, that definitely played a role in why I was smoking way, way too much of it like I never had before. I was smoking it non-stop because of my chronic pain, I was feeling lost in life because the doctors couldn't help and that's when I fucked myself up and triggered a panic disorder. That's when the physical dependency became a real issue too, when I was smoking constant bong rips and hits of hash oil from morning til night because I was in a lot of pain and generally miserable (it didn't actually help the pain at all though... just psychologically made me happy).

After 10 months though, I'm still getting daily panic attacks and extreme anxiety. So in regards to the long term effects of my cannabis use, it played a big role in why I am experiencing those problems now. I should not have chosen to deal with my chronic pain by smoking weed excessively when I already had a problem with it, and when it wasn't helping me keep physically active. I was still bedridden. That's the only way it really "fucked me up"... eventually I started getting panic attacks. I am one of those people who all of a sudden couldn't smoke anymore because they started getting panic symptoms. But when I stopped smoking, the panic attacks became much worse. If I were to take the tiniest puff of weed right now, my heart rate would sky rocket and I would be begging for mercy... I'd probably even show up at the ER or more likely just pop a few benzos to calm myself down or otherwise risk having a heart attack.

But yeah, good luck figuring things out man. I'm just a bit of a loose cannon these days, but I'd like to make a constructive contribution here without offending anyone. It's easy to forget that I used to love weed, because it ended so poorly. I was doing just swell as a pothead until I hurt my back, too. I'd get horrible withdrawals, yes, but I would stay high 24/7 so it didn't matter. My story is extreme, but it's compounded by my terrible back problems. Nobody in their right mind would ever smoke the amount of weed I was smoking, if they didn't have a problem like that, and if I wasn't smoking so excessively then I wouldn't ever have triggered a panic disorder. I'd most likely still be using the stuff.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, how much would you to smoke daily on average? Myself I'm at about 2-3g of high grade cannabis daily, have been for quite some years. I rarely get hash or hash oil and once a month I'll get some edibles from someone who makes them at home. Just wondering if there's any correlation between daily dose and severity of symptoms or that that only plays a small part and the determining factor is differences between people (neurological workings, mental state, physical condition,...)

Last edited:
There is definitely a strong correlation between daily dose and the severity of withdrawal symptoms (for me). There was also a correlation between the severity of the withdrawal and how long I continuously stayed high on a regular basis since my last break / attempt to stop. After staying high regularly for 6 months, it was going to be torture. In terms of my mental or physical states, I don't think they mattered as much as the chemicals withdrawing from my body. If I was doing great as a pothead and I had my stuff together, it wouldn't have an impact on the withdrawal. I just needed weed no matter how good or bad I was doing. When I hurt my back and that really affected my mental state, the withdrawal became more severe but only because I began to use much more cannabis as a coping mechanism. The chronic pain has made me a person who is more tolerant to unbearable suffering.

When I was smoking less weed, around a gram or 2 daily, I would withdraw pretty easily. It was still a miserable agony of hell for me, but I didn't need medical attention. I would still be bedridden for 2 weeks and severely depressed, had no appetite, felt very weak, a lot of anger, insomnia and severe anxiety (no panic attacks though) but I knew I was going to recover and within 2 months I was feeling awesome, like my old self. I would proceed to forget about how bad things used to be when I was a stoner, or smoke it thinking I could control it better, so I ended up going through this type of withdrawal a good few times since it was always all or nothing with myself and the dope.

And every time it was worse, even if I wasn't smoking more weed than before. I think there is a strong correlation between the total number of years you have been a pothead and the severity of the withdrawal (if you are prone to this type of thing). When I finally quit, I had been a pothead for a decade.

I finally quit last August. For the entire year I had been stoned from morning until night. I had been smoking on average over an ounce of high grade a week - all sorts of potent strains like jack herer and strawberry haze, blue cheese, many varieties of kush. This was all smoked through my collection of large bongs, or vaporized in my volcano. I was living in a continuous haze, my cloudy mind was constantly overloaded with THC and I wouldn't even feel the hits one bit, but I still had insane cravings to smoke all day. It was such a waste of weed... but I could rarely control it enough to experience any sort of drastic alterations in consciousness when I smoked, as in the good old days. I was still really baked obviously... I'd be getting crazy euphoria and stuff like that. It was just different than when I used to smoke weed in moderation... it would be more of a quiet, intense, introspective meditation back then... more like a spiritual experience - not a foggy, goofy and euphoric lifestyle of someone who just seemed really out of it and really fucking high all day while fiending cannabis perpetually.

This did not include going through an ounce of hash during that year, and also an ounce of hash oil. I was really into dabbing too, despite my heavy weed habit. I was always looking for a heavier hit so I resorted to hash oil, which certainly allowed the predicament to progress as it made it easier to overload my brain with THC.

Now that last withdrawal cannot be spoken of. Nobody would believe what happened to me, or that I am still recovering in post acute withdrawal syndrome nearly a year later. I can hardly believe the horror of it myself. It stressed me out so much that I doubt I will ever be the same. I was very strung out, I had to get medical attention. Months down the road it got worse too, I thought I was going to get better but the post acute withdrawals hit HARD around the 4 month mark, when my body really knew for sure that it was never going to have weed in it again. My panic attacks became worse months into it, even though I was getting my shit together in life, and I slowly seem to be recovering now but if I ever get back to normal it's going to take years. It was so much worse than the other withdrawals I went through previously, and I'm sure that the hash oil had something to do with this (it was that budder hash stuff). I was ripping massive dabs of it, inhaling clouds of vapour that looked like I was exhaling a bong rip almost. One after the other. It really was out of control... even without considering the oil and hash, I was hitting more potent strains than ever before, in much higher amounts.

I wonder sometimes if they were spraying synthetic cannabinoids on my weed, or if my hash oil contained a little heroin or meth (which are both very cheap where the hash oil originated). But I doubt this to be true. My withdrawals were severe enough before the higher potency products came into the picture, and I was using 10 times as much as before, out of higher quality bongs and a volcano not to mention the titanium nail. The THC overload more than accounts for the horrific symptoms that are ongoing at nearly a year later. The THC is gone now, but it screwed with my brain. There is evidence that abusing it can cause changes in the density and shape of certain structures in the brain - I mean this sort of thing doesn't surprise me. It certainly explains a lot. Obviously using it to this extent is going to have a long term effect on my brain. Even with the drug out of the system, it can take a really long time for the body to adjust to functioning without it. I'm going through a very long, drawn out recovery process - I hope at least that years down the road, I will be feeling great again and liberated from these panic attacks which were never a reality in my life before I was hammered by that final cannabis withdrawal from hell.

Last edited:
I'm distressed to learn that weed has had such a negative effect on some people. the first time a person told me that he was having anxiety problems due to smoking weed, I didn't believe it was that. I thought it was something else. But now I have heard others say the same thing so they can't all be wrong. I still think it must have to do with the person's mental condition to begin with. And that the weed only brought it out. The brain is a delicate thing.
The slightest chemical imbalance would likely cause problems. Its a shame that not everyone can enjoy weed. I've smoked for 39 years and I don't plan on stopping......ever.

How many grams per day sir?

I smoked between 3-5 grams of hash oil at my peak usage. Needed a bong rip at least once an hour. During the night I would wake up multiple times, take a dab, then pass back out for more sleep. So i quit, and haven't looked back. In my opinion, weed is evil. So many of my friends are content with being pizza delivery drivers, or mowing lawns for minimum wage when they could be doing so much more. They actually stopped talking to me because im a "buzzkill" now that I don't have smoke to share.

I got paranoid drug-psychosis from smoking weed everyday. It happened very slowly, but after a few years of everyday use, I slowly started to have loop thoughts and could not stop speaking inside my head each time I was high. I then started to hear voices when I got high. These symptoms progressed to the point where they would occur while sober...this scared me and I quit smoking.

Took almost a year to return back to half normal. Now it has been almost 5 years free of weed and I still have very bad anxiety and paranoia. If I have one puff now, I go anxiety crazy. I would have been better off using heroin everyday, but I chose cannabis and the "harmless" bandwagon...wrong one, but all the claims about psychosis made by science WAS hard to believe because of all the other lies...

Cannabis causes psychosis in people that are at risk. Period, full-stop. Now that it is becoming legal, more and more people are going to start showing up to mental hospitals and it is going to strengthen the Drug War, sadly. If I had done heroin everyday, I would never have experienced psychosis, so for people like me, cannabis is the single, most dangerous drug where mental health is concerned. Any other argument against this is just kidding yourself. It is true and has a link to this type of stuff. I am not the only one that got mental illness from cannabis out of my friends, and that says a lot.

Give legalization and good 5 to 10 years, this problem going to start propping up everywhere.

I got paranoid drug-psychosis from smoking weed everyday. It happened very slowly, but after a few years of everyday use, I slowly started to have loop thoughts and could not stop speaking inside my head each time I was high. I then started to hear voices when I got high. These symptoms progressed to the point where they would occur while sober...this scared me and I quit smoking.

Took almost a year to return back to half normal. Now it has been almost 5 years free of weed and I still have very bad anxiety and paranoia. If I have one puff now, I go anxiety crazy. I would have been better off using heroin everyday, but I chose cannabis and the "harmless" bandwagon...wrong one, but all the claims about psychosis made by science WAS hard to believe because of all the other lies...

Cannabis causes psychosis in people that are at risk. Period, full-stop. Now that it is becoming legal, more and more people are going to start showing up to mental hospitals and it is going to strengthen the Drug War, sadly. If I had done heroin everyday, I would never have experienced psychosis, so for people like me, cannabis is the single, most dangerous drug where mental health is concerned. Any other argument against this is just kidding yourself. It is true and has a link to this type of stuff. I am not the only one that got mental illness from cannabis out of my friends, and that says a lot.

Give legalization and good 5 to 10 years, this problem going to start propping up everywhere.

This sounds exactly like me. I quit about 6 months ago and still have these looping thoughts and voices in my head. I actually tried smoking about 2 months after I quit, and had the worst panic attack of my life, thinking I was going to die. You sound just like me. I smoked all day every day, spending thousands of dollars on it, because I believed it was harmless and there was nothing bad that could happen. But you're right, I would have been a lot better off just using opiates. I probably would have spent a lot less money too, as I spent over $100 a day on hash.

Kyle, the reason why my story sound similar to yours is because I am telling the truth. The truth has lots of synonyms and people generally go through very similar scenarios with minor variances depending on the situation.

I started young and was anti-all other drugs lol. In hindsight, cannabis was the single most dangerous thing to touch...I wish I had chosen heroin first, so the weed high would not cut it if I were to try it.

The loop thoughts are hard to get rid of, my advice, resist the urge and try ignore it. It is similar to OCD.

I was smoking weed for 13 years with no problem until I had a drug induced psychotic episode 1 year and 8 months ago and spent a month in a psychiatric unit in hospital. I've been off the weed since and am on a low dose of the antipsychotic respiridone which I will be coming off soon. I loved smoking weed and would like to know will I ever be able to smoke weed again maybe the ocasional spliff or a certain strain.

I was smoking weed for 13 years with no problem until I had a drug induced psychotic episode 1 year and 8 months ago and spent a month in a psychiatric unit in hospital. I've been off the weed since and am on a low dose of the antipsychotic respiridone which I will be coming off soon. I loved smoking weed and would like to know will I ever be able to smoke weed again maybe the ocasional spliff or a certain strain.

Would you be able to smoke weed again? Maybe but I think you definitely should not. You may have another episode.

You will NEVER, repeat, NEVER have the same type of positive effects from weed ever again. You may get one smoke out of it and think "you have recovered", then on the second and third smoke, your psychosis WILL RETURN with a vengeance and you will realize it never really left. It may or may not come back if you are on respiridone, I don't know...but is it worth it? To take an anti-psychotic just to smoke weed?

There are plenty of other drugs that don't cause psychotic symptoms. Peace.

I agree with this, and a lot of what has been said in these past few posts. It has been almost a year - I am half-normal, half fucked by anxiety. Doing a lot better than I was on the dope. However I am somewhat of an extremist now in regards to my opinion on cannabis, due to the severe extent of the suffering in my life that was caused by weed abuse and has been ongoing since I quit.

I would have been better off as an IV heroin user - MUCH better off in the long term. I wouldn't have killed my head, fried my fucking brain developing crippling, extreme anxiety that I never thought was possible for a human to experience. This whole mental illness thing is completely new to me, ever since I ripped too many dabs and bong rips last year. Apart from constipation and addiction there aren't too many side effects with the opioids if you keep it under control, which I can manage reasonably well, along with any other drug on this Earth apart from weed. I've never fiended 50 hits a day from morning til night of anything else while never being satisfied, the selfish bastard of a pothead that I was. There wouldn't have been the risk of developing sudden onset full blown panic disorder after years of heavy use, since weed is the only drug that ever caused me panic symptoms as a side effect. I could never control my weed use since day 1. If I had a bag lying around, I was going to compulsively smoke way too much of it, more than I even needed to be high all day. And getting high just made me stupid and anxious. I'd be totally physically calm, except I'd be craving a hit because I was addicted to the disgusting filth. Then I'd get the shit in my head, and I'd have a full blown panic attack. I just called it "getting too high" back then so I didn't have to face the fact that I couldn't physically handle weed and never could, since it fucks my head with anxiety that I never had without weed in my life. Plus I didn't know the word "panic attack" back then, I didn't know they could be a sober reality. Now I know this all too well due to this addictive filth of a weed.

Don't say it just amplified my anxiety that I had to begin with. That's bullshit. I had normal levels of anxiety that were completely manageable as a sober person before I got hooked on pot. It CREATED anxiety, forms of physical anxiety/feelings of panic that I never, ever would have experienced without weed in my life. Makes me wonder why I would even smoke it if it never agreed with me - but then I remember, it's extremely addictive to me - and a pointless, brain damaging, miserable one at that considering I never even liked being high. Absolutely not worth it. Biggest regret and mistake of my life falling victim to that 'weed is harmless, smoke as much as you want' mentality. That was just a mental construct to strengthen the denial. I despised weed; I had uncontrollable cravings for it though and a psychotic obsession with it so I just went with it until one day I started getting the panic attacks from hell. That very quickly set me straight. I'll never touch this filth of a drug again and I don't miss it one bit. The fucking torture and agony I've been going through due to the existence of this bastard of a drug. I started at a young age, didn't know what the FUCK I was getting into until it was too late.

I have plenty of experience with hydromorphone, heroin, oxycodone, and various benzodiazipines. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, has ever come close to fucking my mental health like that silly weed which consumed many years of my life. I am furious that I allowed this to happen to myself. I live with extreme, crippling anxiety now, all thanks to smoking too much of that retarded fucking weed. It never did me any good, I never learned a thing from it.

I ended up trying to use it to medicate chronic physical pain, as my stupid stoner mentality was that weed was a medicine for anything whatsoever, playing around with the hash oil and all. It wasn't doing shit, I still couldn't get out of bed and cook myself a meal yet it was "helping my pain". Plus I was too much of a burnout to bug the doctors enough. Now, I'm referred to like 4 specialists and a chronic pain clinic. This is because I have initiative without weed in my life, but cannabis destroys the part of my brain responsible for doing that. I was smoking so much of it that after nearly a year of abstinence I am still living with extreme forms of anxiety that so much as a year or two ago I didn't even know existed in sober life, and that I only ever use to experience after smoking too much weed.

I should have been using opioids to treat my chronic pain (since nothing else allows me to live without chronic pain). They don't turn me into a socially stupid dumbass with an inexplicable lack of self esteem, for one. The constant smoking was so unhealthy too. I also don't get obsessed with them, like how weed literally consumed my whole entire life and I spent $20,000 fucking dollars in a god damned year on a FUCKING PLANT that pretty much just made me stupid and lazy - and don't say I was stupid and lazy to begin with, because now that I quit I am picking up where I left off, after dealing with months of rebound depression mind you - going back to school for a second degree and getting my shit together finally. All of a sudden I am interested in all my old hobbies again, the lifelong makeup of my individuality which was stolen for a while by an evil weed. I was doing fuck all as a pothead but smoking my brains out, going nowhere in life even with a great degree. I was too demotivated and socially anxious from the weed abuse to make use of it back then. That has since been corrected. I am making use of my brain again.

Cannabis was a lying, deceiving, deluding, stupefying, and cheating bitch to me. I devoted my life to her, and she turned her back on me. I developed sudden onset full blown panic disorder one day, almost a year ago. The tiniest puff would send me into a full blown panic attack all of a sudden. Not to mention I have had hundreds to thousands of full blown panic attacks since I quit, and I never ever had a single sober one in my life before last year. So much miserable stress on the heart. Anxiety was always an issue for me when I was stoned, not anywhere near as much when I was sober, but a day came along where I couldn't physically handle a speck of weed anymore without risking a heart attack. My heart rate would skyrocket to very dangerous levels, almost like I smoked too heavy a hit of crack or something? Never done many stimulants, but it felt like a stimulant OD. Even after hammering my system with booze or other downers, that smidgen of marijuana would ruin my whole day and it would take multiple days for me to calm down from that insane, insane fear.

I may be damaged goods, but at least I'll die without a trace of that miserable, god damned THC in my system. Harmless, innocuous though right? Weed never hurt anyone - I call bullshit on that one. It hurt me very much.

Last edited: