• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Has the shroom season begun? UK Mushy Mushy!

vuiz15

Greenlighter
Hi! First time shroom hunting this year and I was hoping someone can clear up when it usually begins, I've seen posts saying July October etc. I'm in the UK and it's around 18°C at day and 6°C at night.

It's usually some time between now & the middle of october, depending on location & weather. It's rare to find them before September in the Peak District, October is usually the peak of the season, before any hard frosts (frost kills them off). It's about 12c at night here now, which is too warm for them, maybe you might find some in the Scottish mountains.

Yip, it's started. Technically it started in July, according to posts people made on shroomery. You're only really going to find them in established spots in higher ground though. October is peak season.

If it's your first time then wait until September/October.

Great, looks like maybe it started early this year. I've seen some in summer before, but it's rare & never a lot.

I don't know about the rest of the country but in Newcastle it's been fucking cold. Can imagine conditions being good up on those hills. Still, it starts around this time every year, if you're as eager as the guys on shroomery (and have access to cold, wet hills).

I won't be venturing out until about October, I expect. September is usually the warmest month!

We had one or two cold nights, other than that it hasn't been too cold here, near the Peak District, probably been a bit colder & wetter on some of the hills. I haven't started looking yet, they don't usually really start coming out until mid-september. I've seen a few in July & August before, but just 4 or 5 usually, not found enough for a trip before september before, but looking at the shroomery it seems it's worth a look. I suppose if it's been damp & 5-10 degrees C for a few nights in a row then it's worth looking. At least it's a nice walk in summer even if I don't get any.

I find they're easier to spot if it's dry & sunny, shortly after a cold wet spell, it's better light & the mushrooms are a lighter colour, there aren't as many as later in the season, but they're easier to spot. Looking for tiny wet muddy dark brown mushrooms in a wet muddy brown field in the rain can be tough until you get an eye for them, I often wonder around for half an hour before I find any & then they all pop out at me.

I never found any below 200m either, but early on in the season it usually needs to be bigger hills, like 400-500m+

I try to spread the spores a bit too, not managed to start a patch in my back garden yet, but I'm sure I seeded some bowling greens in the park one year.

If it's your first time shroom hunting then please go with somebody more experienced until you're confident you can identify them. I don't think there are any deadly mushrooms that look anything like liberty caps, but there are a few similar looking shrooms that might possibly make you a bit ill & inexperienced wild mushroom pickers have sometimes picked deadly mushrooms (I think it's usually people looking for edible mushrooms rather than libs though). There is good information on the shroomery, but it's not a substitute for experience. Need to check they're the right shape (nipple on top, etc), size, the gills/spores are dark, thin wavy stem, right colour (between light beige & dark brown, depending how wet they are).

Last edited:
Now that I notice it, this thread would probably be better suited in EADD :) I'll move it on over.

The second Saturday in September was always a good starting point up Hadrian's Wall way. Although I haven't been picking for a good few years now.

If people have been finding em as early as July I guess I'm gonna go look in the usual spots near my parents this week on the off-chance. Been fairly cold and hoying it down for the past week or so there and I know in winter up on the hills it can get down into minus double digits on occasion. Any excuse for a wander out into the country, even if there aren't any yet :D

Luckily, I don't have to go far to check. I just need to have a gander in the gardens on my way to shop, which is about 100m from my house. There's not a peep of psilocybes yet but there are a good few other species. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some on higher elevations, west of the river. I don't plan on taking any this season but I'll most likely store a few hundred incase I'm up to it in the new year.

They definitely were & the ones in the photos on shroomery are too. I've had over 20 years experience picking them every year. You haven't been looking carefully enough. They can come out in July if it's particularly cold & wet, just it's rare to find them, or enough for a decent trip before September.

Weather has been shocking for the last couple of days, it feels like October, I'll probably find some next time I go up a hill.

This thread only makes me sad in our lack of shrooming with Sham man. Masses of land and prime spots yet nothing! Think we were too late that year!

Many years to come though. * evil smirk*

*returns evil smirk and adds evil laugh*

September/October is generally prime season around Wales' waist. Even a little later in warm years if memory serves. I've not picked around here really but know folk who do and have usually acquired fresh from them. Definitely too early here in my little corner of Welsh Wales - and this year has been relatively rather roasting and not very wet so won't be expecting any for a while yet.

I know that's not an evil laugh, I know your laugh branch holder, that's a dirty laugh baby! Don't think that I don't know my man! HAHAHAHA!

We'll get our chance at some point!!! Just timing really.

Timing and/or cultivating anyway - homegrown cubensis are a great option for those who aren't overly concerned with the legal side of things. Obviously a very bad option for those that are.

(and you knows me so well, belobed pebble holder of mine ;))

I should look for some waterproof walking shoes/boots.

Why cultivate when better mushrooms are growing wild abundantly in some very scenic places? Get some fresh air, exercise, trench foot & magic mushrooms. I'm sure the trip feels better when you've spent all day foraging for it.

Trust me, we've gone foraging. Very fond memories many years ago. Autumn is my fav season anyway so whats better than to go out and about in the most rural of places with the one you love at antisocial hours??? Tis a thing of beauty!

In all my attempts I have yet to capture the elusive shroom. Even in known growth areas. I must be unlucky in the shroom department.

I think cultivating would be a means to an end for someone like me who seems to have no luck but tbh, I think I rather enjoy the hunt more! Bit of cinnamon tea ( laced with geebie even better) in a flask and away you go!

Gah, this thread has got my receptors watering impatiently :|

Gotta be my favourite psychedelic as it just kicks my arse every time, and I usually dose quite low at ~ 35 liberty caps.