• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Good, non-addictive anti-anxiety drugs ?

because it is a fucking disgusting drug, fuck zyprexa.

if you are talking benzos, the least, or supposed to be least addictive ones are clorazepate which is a prodrug for desmethyldiazepam, a partial-agonist at benzo receptors. also, oxazepam is good because it is the benzo with the slowest absorption rate

Why is it a "fucking disgusting drug" ?

Well it's an atypical antipsychotic meaning that by most standards it has a harsher side effect profile than many other classes of drugs used to treat anxiety. Also, its success rate at treating anxiety isn't all that great.

Just bear in mind that everyone reacts to different types of medications in a unique way based on their brain chemistry. So if it happens to be something that is working well for you, and you aren't feeling many bad side effects, by all means, great. Discard the opinions of people that haven't had success with it and don't look back.

If you can find a non benzo option that works well for you, that's better than you know.

^^^^^thanks for answering my question. Yeah I've given up on it. Waking up in morning with drool on my pullow/mouth seems like bad stuff. Someone mentioned atarax ?

I have some personal experience with Atarax (hydroxyzine) which I can share. First, it's a first generation antihistamine (similar to Benadryl {diphenhydramine}). However the difference lies in hydroxyzine being a bit less sedating, and being somewhat effective at relief of general anxiety.

Its side effect profile consists mostly of drowsiness which wears off for the most part after a while, though the anti anxiety effects don't typically diminish as sharply as tolerance builds. Another noteworthy and bothersome side effect from my experience with it is dry mouth and dry eyes.

All that said, I did find it to be helpful at treating my anxiety with minimal side effects for the benefits. In my case I also suffer from severe panic attacks, and unfortunately it was not strong or fast acting enough to cut through those.

By all means though, I'd say it ranks on the list of non addictive medications for anxiety disorder that are well worth a try.

This was from a good while earlier in the thread so I'm not sure if you have seen it or not... Also not sure if that is an option where you are at?

Buspar (Buspirone) was actually the first medication that I had tried for my anxiety and panic attacks. It went through a phase of approximately two weeks of odd side effects, vertigo mainly (normal according to my doctor). After that it did become very effective at combating my anxiety, though it's a case of a take daily medication, not one you can just take when you feel you need it.

This went on for about 3 months, and then sadly it just suddenly lost effectiveness. I say it's a medication worth a try before benzos though. Also, stopped taking it with no tapper, and experienced no unpleasant side effects.

This was from a good while earlier in the thread so I'm not sure if you have seen it or not... Also not sure if that is an option where you are at?

From my memory when i brought Buspirone up with my dr i THINK he refused to prescribe it to me because he said it was worse than alprazolam or similar in addiction potential...

Preach brother preach!
All u benzoheads read this carefully

I've been taking daily, lenghty walks into the countryside on my own. I've been rambling across fields here and there, finding peaceful places to rest and talk to myself. It's made me feel fantastic. I'd forgotten how high you can get by blowing off all that carbon dioxide by taking a good, sure-footed trek! And nature!! Get close-up and friendly with nature! Buy yourself an old pipe and prop up a bridge under which flows a gentle river. Breathe!

these might be psychologically addictive (only in the same sense as pot), but ive always had great results with smaller doses of trazadone. they soothed my anxiety and jitteryness when going thru heroin w/d's back in the day so much

I have some personal experience with Atarax (hydroxyzine) which I can share. First, it's a first generation antihistamine (similar to Benadryl {diphenhydramine}). However the difference lies in hydroxyzine being a bit less sedating, and being somewhat effective at relief of general anxiety.

Its side effect profile consists mostly of drowsiness which wears off for the most part after a while, though the anti anxiety effects don't typically diminish as sharply as tolerance builds. Another noteworthy and bothersome side effect from my experience with it is dry mouth and dry eyes.

All that said, I did find it to be helpful at treating my anxiety with minimal side effects for the benefits. In my case I also suffer from severe panic attacks, and unfortunately it was not strong or fast acting enough to cut through those.

By all means though, I'd say it ranks on the list of non addictive medications for anxiety disorder that are well worth a try.

Atarax really really helped me when coming off Suboxone (after a very long and slow taper though). I wouldn't mind getting a prescription for it for mild anxiety. I found it didn't make me as drowsy as Dipenhydramine or Unisom either, which allowed me to take it during the daytime.

I should note that for some of this time I was also on Clonidine (BP med used for WD, not the benzo)... those two together made it easier for me for sure.

Well Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is probably about the closest to that you will find OTC. It does work somewhat for anxiety, but more intense daytime drowsiness should be expected.

i mean i guess you can call hydroxyzine an anxiolytic. its not the greatest, but its not addictive

Therapy is honestly more effective in lots of cases than medication, as the meds are either weak, or addictive. I advise anyone to at least try therapy first, and even if you do medicate, it works at its best in conjunction with seeing a psychologist / therapist on a regular basis.

I know it's already been said but buspar. It worked very well for me at 10mg. I take it for panic attacks or if my anxiety levels get extremely high and I can't really function. I haven't had any side effects at all and it usually kicks in within 10 minutes.

yea stay off benzos if at all possible... For me xanax is the only one that works but i can't get it prescribed because i won't ask my doctor and i'm sure if i did he'd either call me a drug seeker, or give me something like .25 mg 2x a day.

I'm fed up with going to doctors to try to get any relief. they don't really give a shit i don't think.

I know it's already been said but buspar. It worked very well for me at 10mg. I take it for panic attacks or if my anxiety levels get extremely high and I can't really function. I haven't had any side effects at all and it usually kicks in within 10 minutes.

How would you compare it to a Benzodiazapine? eg.Xanax?