• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Good, non-addictive anti-anxiety drugs ?

Thats all and fine, thanks for the clarification.

Still, i think benzos are just dangerous for anxiety. Your far more likely to get addicted to an already really addictive group of drugs when your self medicating, even legally w/ a script. Like your psychologically/physiologically predisposed to the incredible relief they can provide, making them more addictive to people with anxiety than those w/out. But if the individual can keep their use responsible they work very well.
what alternative is there? SSRI's? no thanks

Exercise works wonders for reducing anxiety, but I understand if you want to take a pharmacological route. My friend (not swim bs) is taking buspirone, and she says it does wonders for her anxiety. Buspirone is a serotonin agonist, and is a non-addictive anxiolytic agent. Ask your doctor about it, my friend says it really helps her

I feel ya man, anxiety drugs are shitty as far as safety/addictiveness from what I've experienced. Alot of the non-addictive ones aren't all that affective ime. I agree that I'd rather go with a benzo than ssri any-day for anxiety.

Its either terrible side affects from ssri's/discontinuation, or benzos with no where near such bad side affects, and w/d's that aren't terrible if your responsible, none at all if using a few/one times a week. Just saying you have to be extra careful with them even if your not predisposed to addiction, since anxiety technically is going to have the same affect with benzos (makes you more likely to abuse them imho). But they can be used responsibly, i just detest ever getting into a habit of taking them daily, for many with anxiety disorders thats necessary with benzos (but medically not very safe/recommended). For occasional emergencys like panic attacks/bad trips/stim OD they are a godsend.

having looked a little into buspirone, i think i would give it a try. might mention it to my gp, next time i see them

Have you at least tried Hydroxyzine HCl? Thanks to tricomb for reminding us of the benefits of hydroxyzine, I had a bottle from two years ago that I signed off as useless at the 50mg dosage (full tablet), I almost forgot about it actually, but now I realize that 10-12.5mg Hydroxyzine HCl is a great nighttime sedative, and doesn't have disgusting anticholinergenic effects, and it also metabolizes in to Zyrtec (cetirizine), so it's one of the most effective antihistamines for opiate itchies.

The 5-HT2C antagonism property of Hydroxyzine is what makes it really special, imo, only a few other drugs have that mechanism, among those few are tramadol (also a SRA), O-Desmethyltramadol, and Prozac (one of the only SSRI's that has this 5-HT2C antagonism).

This is definitely an underrated anxiolytic, everyone should try it out at a 12.5mg dosage (half of a 25mg Atarax tablet), then move on to 25mg if 12.5mg isn't effective for you. Now that I ran out of tramadol, at 50-75mg/day, which was immensely helpful for my non-compulsive OCD anxiety and for panic attack prevention, the Hydroxyzine fills a nice a gap as an antagonist at the 5-HT2C receptor, one of the only useful anxiety-based serotonin receptors, imo, which is why some people like Prozac for anxiety but get nothing from Zoloft, for example. I wouldn't dose more than 25mg hydroxyzine, too sedating.

I worry about the risk of developing tardive dyskenesia (thorazine shuffle) from Hydroxyzine, but it seems to be present in a tiny minority of people taking large doses chronically.

Last edited:
Thanks, Ergic, I'll look into this. I spent last night stuffed with diazepam (gp-prescribed) but it did nothing but give me a headache and heart palpitations.

Have you at least tried Hydroxyzine HCl? Thanks to tricomb for reminding us of the benefits of hydroxyzine, I had a bottle from two years ago that I signed off as useless at the 50mg dosage (full tablet), I almost forgot about it actually, but now I realize that 10-12.5mg Hydroxyzine HCl is a great nighttime sedative, and doesn't have disgusting anticholinergenic effects, and it also metabolizes in to Zyrtec (cetirizine), so it's one of the most effective antihistamines for opiate itchies.

The 5-HT2C antagonism property of Hydroxyzine is what makes it really special, imo, only a few other drugs have that mechanism, among those few are tramadol (also a SRA), O-Desmethyltramadol, and Prozac (one of the only SSRI's that has this 5-HT2C antagonism).

This is definitely an underrated anxiolytic, everyone should try it out at a 12.5mg dosage (half of a 25mg Atarax tablet), then move on to 25mg if 12.5mg isn't effective for you. Now that I ran out of tramadol, at 50-75mg/day, which was immensely helpful for my non-compulsive OCD anxiety and for panic attack prevention, the Hydroxyzine fills a nice a gap as an antagonist at the 5-HT2C receptor, one of the only useful anxiety-based serotonin receptors, imo, which is why some people like Prozac for anxiety but get nothing from Zoloft, for example. I wouldn't dose more than 25mg hydroxyzine, too sedating.

I worry about the risk of developing tardive dyskenesia (thorazine shuffle) from Hydroxyzine, but it seems to be present in a tiny minority of people taking large doses chronically.

Buspar (Buspirone) was actually the first medication that I had tried for my anxiety and panic attacks. It went through a phase of approximately two weeks of odd side effects, vertigo mainly (normal according to my doctor). After that it did become very effective at combating my anxiety, though it's a case of a take daily medication, not one you can just take when you feel you need it.

This went on for about 3 months, and then sadly it just suddenly lost effectiveness. I say it's a medication worth a try before benzos though. Also, stopped taking it with no tapper, and experienced no unpleasant side effects.

i would say etizolam but the non-addictive part is gonna be down to each individual. i can take them or leave them, but i do notice a marked improvement with my anxiety issues with this drug. it really is a good medication and easy to get hold of but i realised that some people could grow to rely on it, so dunno if it fits the bill.

Exactly, me for example, when I was a kid I liked to shove in 10x caramilk pieces at a time to the point of having a mouthful, all in one shot. The same was with chewing gum, I would stick 4,5, or even 6 spearmints at a time in my mouth. When I grew up I liked to go rough, balls deep. I like intense stuff, taking stuff a little at a time only pisses me off lol. I guess I have an addictive nature, love it tho :)

The alternative is either really finding the source of your anxiety and problems, or using shitty weak herbal supplements for the rest of your life. Realistically though, attempt option b some more or else you'll just become a slave to benzos or whatever other prescrip drug for the rest of your life. Or attempt too beat your anxiety from the root, although I honestly don't know if that is actually even fucking possible.

My first panic attack

I am going to look into these natural remedies. I am extremely anxious and I just can never sleep. I take xanax prescribed. I am allowed 3 1mg tablets per day, but I cut them in half and take them only when I am jumping out of my skin. When I was in my twenties, I was at work and I got my first panic attack. They called an ambulance for me and took me to the hospital. I thought I was having a heart attack. I believe they gave me a shot of valium - which worked of course. I had no idea at that time that there were panic attacks.

I've heard of more than one person who swore that exercise and a good diet did more for their anxiety than any drug could