• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

EADD Film Recommendations v5 - TBC

It's no Dead Man's Shoes anyway.

Tried several times to watch that on dissociatives. Very Bad Idea. One of precious few films that can represent fukked-uppness in ways that even dissociatives can't reach.

Watched it sober and disturbed me more or less as much as any film of that ilk would... just don't try it on dissociatives. Trust :|

As it happens, I ended up watching the deluxe boxset edition of this...

... to reacquaint myself with a considerably less disturbing form of reality. And it worked.

Probably, or you could use the IMDB website

... if you want to never see a decent film again. How have people managed to confuse an utterly arbitray points system with actual quality? What does this say about y'all? As people?

^^^sorry slightly off-topic, just curious as to why you keep showing EE Content lock on your posts? I had a few issues with that a few months back , was annoying.

Evey

I have no idea what EE Content Lock is. If my posts are showing it that'd be interesting for one reason or another. Nothing I choose to add if indeed it has been added. Could you explain further what it is you are talking about? Really would be of interest.

... if you want to never see a decent film again. How have people managed to confuse an utterly arbitray points system with actual quality? What does this say about y'all? As people?

That i use IMDB, or amazon reviews, or youtube reviews as a rough guide, and something is rated fuck all % by quite a few people then i'll probably avoid it. I see nothing wrong with that tbh. No confusion there

I think everyone and their pet giraffe uses IMDB Coltdan, ffs. That's a bit like recommending someone try bread is it not?!

IMDB can be used without having to use the rating system. I tend to just find some lists that are the sort of thing i want (like there's a a few 'all sci fi films ever' lists which you can filter or sort by date); and then try and decipher a balance of skimmed reviews. Saying that i want to get out of the habit cos i don't really want to help amazon particularly

I've recently watched a couple of biopics. One was about Charles Bronson, a notorious british criminal dubbed the most violent in Britain. The guy just trys to beat the shit out of everyone. I remember a scene where he strips naked and covers himself in butter before he goes head to head with prison guards.

The other one was Chopper which is about another notorious criminal, one from down under. I'm not sure whether the film was meant to be funny or not but i couldn't help but laugh.

^ Both excellent films. I do believe Chopper was intentionally comedic in places cos it clearly is, when it comes down to chopping toes with bolt cutters it's a tad less comedic, mind...

IMDB can be used without having to use the rating system. I tend to just find some lists that are the sort of thing i want (like there's a a few 'all sci fi films ever' lists which you can filter or sort by date); and then try and decipher a balance of skimmed reviews. Saying that i want to get out of the habit cos i don't really want to help amazon particularly

I'd agree on that cos there is sense present. It's folk who go by ratings that baffle me. I see no real difference between that and standing outside Blockbusters asking passers by what you should watch tonight. Utterly bizarre.

recently saw Ran ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089881/ ), by Akira Kurosawa.

Quite impressive movie... saw a few others by the same director but only recenlty had the time to enjoy this one. Id quite recommend it, though it might be best to save it for when you can get in the mood.

I've just been to seen the new John le Carré film... A Most Wanted Man

Although I liked the last John Le Carré adaptation, this one was much more entertaining in my books. Good performances from all the actors; notably the last leading role for Philip Seymour Hoffman.

This Boy's Life

A great coming of age film set during the 50s with Ellen Barkin, Leonardo DiCaprio & Robert De Niro. DiCaprio gave an amazing performance in what was his first major role. Robert De Niro also played his part as an abusive stepfather rather well.

Seen a couple of movies yesterday...

Blue is the Warmest Color - very good movie. well acted, realistic, moving. Explores the relationship between 2 women, but honestly ive rarely been so impressed. Some scenes just creep up on you and the on screen chemistry is fantastic. Dont be scared of the onscreen quite explicit sex scenes. Highly recommended

Transcendence - not as shit as i imagined. An average movie, true, but from the trailers and critics bashing i was expecting far worse. Theres a better movie to be made of the same script, and given the talent involved im surprised it came out like this. Johnny Depp seems to be in remote control mode, and but for an involved Rebecca Hall all the actors put in as much effort as ordering pizza over the phone... the effects are unsurprising and plot holes abound, but for a scifi idea it was interestingly hijacked by the romantic plot...

Transformers Age of Extinction : man, this movie franchise just keeps finding new ways of being worse and worse. Shit script, shit plot, weird if not completly shit acting... and all this for the longest time yet in this crapfest 2:45minutes of sheer on screen michael bay rectum.

Seen a couple of movies yesterday...

Blue is the Warmest Color - very good movie. well acted, realistic, moving. Explores the relationship between 2 women, but honestly ive rarely been so impressed. Some scenes just creep up on you and the on screen chemistry is fantastic. Dont be scared of the onscreen quite explicit sex scenes. Highly recommended

Yeah was expecting not to be that fussed, but it was really affecting. Adele Exarchopoulos has such an expressive face (I may or may not be a bit obsessed with her). I did see it at a time when I was still reeling from a slightly less lesbomatic break-up, so might have hit me harder than it would have otherwise.

Last edited:
she does come off as quite the sensitive type, but at the same time quite "girl next door". she reminded me a lot of all the girls i used to fall for in highschool (and would probably still if it werent for the gf). the director did a really good job of not falling into anything too mundane but still capturing moments. like the talks on the benches, or the flirtations in the cafe when they first meet.
if anything, i found the lesbian angle a bit irrelevant. i can see why it bothered the original novel's author (perhaps it had more of an agenda like that) but as a human drama it excells.

I wouldn't say it was irrelevant - it's necessary to establish a fraught coming together in any 'love story'. There would have to have been some other obstacle to make it interesting otherwise.

Last edited:
Transformers Age of Extinction : man, this movie franchise just keeps finding new ways of being worse and worse. Shit script, shit plot, weird if not completly shit acting... and all this for the longest time yet in this crapfest 2:45minutes of sheer on screen michael bay rectum.

Awful isn't it, was surprised at just how bad it is. probably one of the worst films i've ever seen.

Gonna mention it again, Edge of tomorrow is deffo worth a look

Tried several times to watch that on dissociatives. Very Bad Idea. One of precious few films that can represent fukked-uppness in ways that even dissociatives can't reach.

Watched it sober and disturbed me more or less as much as any film of that ilk would... just don't try it on dissociatives. Trust :|

Y'know how I just said that just recently like? Funny things are dissociatives cos - for reasons not especially important to go into beyong the fact that I had no idea what it was other than I do likes me some Miike - I watched Visitor Q t''other day.

There are layers upon layers and wheels within wheels when it comes to fukked-upness. Also watched whilst heavily dissociated - and perhaps not in cheeriest of moods initially - but found this far less downright depressing and headfukky despite it being (certainly on the surface) way, way more so. Genuinely shocking (even to jaded fucks like me) but... hard to explain given the sheer levels of fukked-upness invovled but... darkly comic and - in a very odd way - kinda uplifting. Admittedly not immediately obvious to all I'd grant ya... Is a quality film but in no way for the feint-hearted.

recently saw Ran ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089881/ ), by Akira Kurosawa.

Quite impressive movie... saw a few others by the same director but only recenlty had the time to enjoy this one. Id quite recommend it, though it might be best to save it for when you can get in the mood.

I;d also highly recommend this. Perhaps his masterpiece but, yeah, not necessarily light viewing. Incredible film though for when in the mood for epic samurai meets Shakespeare in uber-extra-laden, colourful-banner-waving heaven.

saw
The Master (2012), with Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix. Impressive acting job (leads are amazing) and pretty good script... Probably better suited for those looking for more artsy movies than a straightforward drama, but id recommend it!

This is excellent, deffo worth watching

THE UNBELIEVERS (2013) - Official Movie Trailer (Richard Dawkins & Lawrence Krauss)

'The Unbelievers' follows renowned scientists Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss across the globe as they speak publicly about the importance of science and reason in the modern world - encouraging others to cast off antiquated religious and politically motivated approaches toward important current issues.

Saw Gone Girl on Tuesday - worth a watch. Got a good pace to it and it's a lot more darkly funny than I expected.

Been a bit ropey of late so watched a few films. To whit...

Frequencies - I believe the general cliche term would be "offbeat" indie sci-fi fillum. "Near future" tale of people whose lives are defined by a variant on IQ scores defined in childhood tests. Do the star-crossed lovers break the system or does it break them? You can probably guess but very nicely done all the same.

Transcendence - found it kinda meh to be honest. Hackneyed plot not especially well done. On t'other hand, is the first time this particularly hackneyed plot has made it to big cinematic plot status and isn't so bad it's shite. Just incredibly predictable and not especially well done.

John Carter - yes, it's a Disney film and I watched it. Surprisingly violent and also surprisingly inventive. Genuinely liked it (mostly). Indiana Jones meets The Martian Chronicles. Yes it is a big CGIfest but I must admit I thought it was rather well done for its ilk.

13 Assassins - more Miike but very much at his "more acceptable" end of the spectrum. Brilliantly done Samurai flick. First hour or so is all slow 'n' brooding build with the last hour or so being insanely explosive Miike Mayhem (tm). There's some depth there too but I suspect the sheer brutality and inventiveness of that last extended scene will be what sticks in the mind for most.

This is excellent, deffo worth watching

THE UNBELIEVERS (2013) - Official Movie Trailer (Richard Dawkins & Lawrence Krauss)

'The Unbelievers' follows renowned scientists Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss across the globe as they speak publicly about the importance of science and reason in the modern world - encouraging others to cast off antiquated religious and politically motivated approaches toward important current issues.

You forgot to mention the most important part - it's by Werner Herzog whose documentaries (and films) are worth watching purely cos they are by Werner Herzog. Looking forward to it.