• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

EADD Film Recommendations v5 - TBC

Yeah look on IMDB and amazon top lists, youtube top 10 film review lists

Really enjoyed this movie. Should it have a 'message' though ? (suggesting and in no way implying)- have you ever slept with somebody purely on looks ? Scratch a few layers off and they repugnant / alien ? Hi I'm this that the other, get absorbed into my life, I will destroy you ?

you have a point... i just invested a bit in trying to understand the protagonist and perhaps was expecting something else, instead of the (cold) alien...
dont get me wrong, i still think it was a pretty good movie, and indeed, as i read somewhere, a bit reminiscent of kubrik

yeah cheers Dan and Bear, i was already aware of imdb, i know they have a list of the 250 All Time Greatest, last time i checked it i had seen every film on there that i would be interested in seeing, i guess i could easily enough do a bit of rummaging around the net to find what im looking for. For instance it was relatively easy to find 'best tracks of the 1990s' etc. Though of course not everyone will agree on all the choices, and some things are just a matter of taste and personal preference.

I'll re-check the 250 list to see what 'new entries' have made the pile over recent years (just checked and there's nout immediately jumping out at me, apart from 'Untouchable' (2011) ). I usually prefer members/regular peoples lists over critics lists though. Im definately not a movie buff, but i love films with some depth and substance but would be put off by stuff rated by 'high brow' critics, though i might try again with some of the oldies critics favourires like Citizen Kane or The Seventh Seal etc. TSS did nothing for me when i first attempted to watch it in my teens.

Looking over the 250 again there are actually loads on that i havent seen, particularly anything pre 1970. There seems to be far more 'oldies' on imdbs list, than on other lists like Rotten Tomatoes.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?ref_=nv_ch_250_4

Lord of the Rings is in the Top 10. 8o Definately dont agree with that. Never got all the fuss over Bladerunner either, what a dull film that is. :\ At least they havent got fucking Starwars in the top 10, I'm thankful for that much at least. :sus:

Last edited:
Ah i see, i had just looked at a couple of reviews on RT over the years, hadnt realised that it was geared towards current and new films, whereas imdb seems to be geared towards a historical movie buff kind of thing. RT sounds like it will be far more useful for what i want to get out of it.

Lovefilm.com itself has a lot of good lists on it; members favorites and stuff like that. Often completely different to the imdb top 100.

Ah i see, i had just looked at a couple of reviews on RT over the years, hadnt realised that it was geared towards current and new films, whereas imdb seems to be geared towards a historical movie buff kind of thing. RT sounds like it will be far more useful for what i want to get out of it.

I mean it's got everything but those are what I find it most useful for. I guess you could say it was geared towards current films what with the opening / box office / coming soon / rentals all on the main page though.

I think everyone has their own methods of finding things... :)

I shall have to have a look at Lovefilm lists... never used them before.

Her (2013) - enjoyed this movie very much actually. its about a not-too-distant future where the development of AI enables intuitive computing. the protagonist, a lonely sensitive man, falls in love with his operating system. a very sensitive, meditative look at love, techology and really ehat it means to be human.

watched this last night. pretty much standard south korean revenge/retribution story, but well done. the Imdb mark might be misleading - a 7.9 movie this aint. fun and watchable nonetheless
The Man from Nowhere
MV5BMTgzMTkxNjAxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDU3MDE0MjE@._V1_SY317_CR3,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Not sure if i mentioned Aftershock, depicting the effects of an eathquake upon several generations of a family in China. An extremely moving film, The film currently holds a 90% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Her (2013) - enjoyed this movie very much actually. its about a not-too-distant future where the development of AI enables intuitive computing. the protagonist, a lonely sensitive man, falls in love with his operating system. a very sensitive, meditative look at love, techology and really ehat it means to be human.

Best bit of Her

I have one recommendation as to a film you shouldn't watch while doing any hallucinogens/dissociatives....Enter the Void...

On another note, does anyone have any suggestions for a decent comedy something along the lines of the wayans brothers type films or something similar to the hangover etc. In the mood to watch a decent comedy.

I was really disappointed with Enter the Void. I suspect that's largely due to massive overhyping around PD due to the (admittedly rather well done) DMT sequences. That and it being yet another retread of the Tibetan Book of the Dead. I have nothing against the latter (nor indeed the former) but felt somewhat lacking in substance (as it were) when I watched it. Am planning to give it another chance at some point cos I really do like the director and would probably appreciate it more without the hype.

Most recent fillum I watched was Sky Captain & The World of Tomorrow which I do believe was a massive flop and universally panned by everybody. Found it kinda dull but quite spectacularly pretty in places. Also got some pure genius accents in there somewhere. If I were on the right substance I'd likely quite enjoy it for what it is. I wouldn't look for what isn't there though. I suspect some of the clearly deliberate cheese was mistaken for accidental cheese at the time (spot the references drinking games would be a very, very Bad Idea :|) but taken on its own terms it wasnae half as bad as I expected... but kinda dull with it all the same.

Seen Enter the Void mentioned quite a few times, yet to see it though, might watch it tomorrow

Watched Into The Wild again last night, about one charismatic but a bit naiveley idealistic young man, having an indignantly strong moral code he feels betrayed and let down by his parents, with their lies and shallow materialism, he gives away all of his life savings to Oxfam, burns the cash he had in his wallet, and sets out on the road, to become "Alexander Supertramp", eventually ending up in the wilderness of Alaska for the winter. It does have a couple of wince inducing moments, but overall its a beauty of a film, for the sentiment, the idealism, the scenery, the wilderness, the cinematography of it all, the soundtrack. All based on a true story iirc.