• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives [DXM Subthread] Long-term DXM Effects & Addiction

because I noticed the beginning of my mental degradation after using DXM.

It could just be something called "getting older". When you're at school you're constantly learning and your mind is getting plenty of exercise. After school that slackens off and unless you make the effort to use your memory then it fades.

Apparantly the best exercise for your brain is doing lots of simple sums like "8 x3". Get a book on improving your memory and with 6 months of practise you'll have a better memory than 99% of the population who have never taken DXM.

But you will have to ask yourself the question "does having a good memory warrant the effort it takes to maintain one"? For most people the answer is "No".

It could just be something called "getting older". When you're at school you're constantly learning and your mind is getting plenty of exercise. After school that slackens off and unless you make the effort to use your memory then it fades.

Apparantly the best exercise for your brain is doing lots of simple sums like "8 x3". Get a book on improving your memory and with 6 months of practise you'll have a better memory than 99% of the population who have never taken DXM.

But you will have to ask yourself the question "does having a good memory warrant the effort it takes to maintain one"? For most people the answer is "No".

Do know of any quality memory books that you speak of? I have a shitty memory in general along with ADD, and blah blah blah. I've recently had the desire to really improve my over all self especially my brain (starting uni has really boosted this desire).

You'll have to read through them and see which ones you like. Each has different methods.

If you want the cheap method, write 5 words on a sheet of paper, turn it over and then remember what they were. When you can do 5, do 10. Eventually read a paragraph in a book and then try writing it down verbatim.

There's all sorts of little tests like that you can do to keep your memory tip-top. But it's hard work - that's the bit most people don't want to face.

Can we please be a bit nicer guuys? I don't see any reason to think this is a troll post for gods sake....

But yeah, I think Dalfir is pretty on target; weed use does really fuck your short term memory. It doesn't seem to last after one stops smoking for a while ie. your good stuff will come back :) Just keep doing things like reading, even if its frustrating, and other things to exerise your mind a bit more.

sorry, I just don't want any more lie-based fuel for anti-drug zealots fire. Propaganda sets me on edge and makes me cranky. Sorry ckid :<

I used DXM weekly for a couple months and I noticed a decline in my mental capacity. So I stopped, abstained for a long while. However I can't attribute all my mental decline to DXM because I also finished school around about the time of the abuse. I attribute it mostly to my lack of mental stimulation (which I'm working on of late). I feel most of my mental faculties have returned. Its all about belief in memory and the like, exercising your brain and keeping it active. I like to write a lot, read, have metaphysical debates with whoever I can :p.

But don't get me wrong DXM abuse will fuck your shit up. But I did DXM recently again with 2c-e, was magical and I actually feel slightly more mentally switched on, maybe it was my rediscovering of psychedelia :) was a magical trip but thats a story for another day.

-one of the reasons i quit chuggin that shit. It's fun... but it fucks you up for ever.

Again there is no evidence it fucks you up forever orangelicker.

Obviously ANYTHING can be over-used. If you go 2-3rd plateau 3 times a week for months you will probably have issues.

I've had periods of dull mindedness since I was about 12 years old, always during periods of depression. My mind always returns to normal during breaks in depression.

If you have had any issues with depression, that could be the cause of your problems.

Again there is no evidence it fucks you up forever orangelicker.

Obviously ANYTHING can be over-used. If you go 2-3rd plateau 3 times a week for months you will probably have issues.

But it does fuck you.......:p

sorry, I just don't want any more lie-based fuel for anti-drug zealots fire. Propaganda sets me on edge and makes me cranky. Sorry ckid :<

dude, this is a harm reduction forum. there are real risks from drug use, you can't just pretend it's all good. just as harmful and misguided as pretending it's all bad!

as for DXM... yes, I think from my massive DXM abuse years ago I did get some damage that lasted quite a while. I often wonder if I'm completely back to "normal" yet. I think I am, though.

Last edited:
Heavy use can cause cognitive impairment for several months after cessation of use, but there have been very few reports of permanent cognitive impairment, and with your dose and frequency of use, cognitive impairment really isn't an issue. It's safe to assume that DXM is not the culprit. Erowid has a pretty comprehensive FAQ http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/faq/dxm_faq.shtml

+1 concerning the cannabis use; I notice some muddling of the mind for up to 10 days after stopping daily use.

Have you been using any other drugs. o_O??

Could be them...or maybe just the combo of all the drugs taking it's toll.

Try staying sober for a bit...

Just keep doing things like reading, even if its frustrating

That's good advice. Actually, any worthwhile mental stimulation has to result from a good challenge (obviously). I challenge myself by, for periods of time, ignoring any 'instinctive' thoughts I have, and coming to a logical conclusion for almost every action I take. Don't know if that makes sense to you, but it seems to be a good exercise for me.

I smoke pot almost every night

+2 on this. Smoking pot daily can make me feel dumb. Cut it out for a couple weeks and see how you feel.

It also might just be the power of suggestion i.e. you're hypersensitive to any cognitive fuckups. As someone said, a depressed state of mind could be exaggerating this? Get some love and cut yourself some slack - it works wonders...

I seriously doubt it was the dxm, but again, a definitive answer will be hard to come by.

i've always wondered if any of this could be related to the bromide in dxm Hbr (most cough syrups except for delsym)... anybody know anything about it?

by the way it's my first post here, long-time lurker :D

I'm not sure what would make you think this is a troll post. I used to do two of the big bottles of robitussin (CF I believe) I calculated the 400mg off of two 4 ounce bottles (I know where more than 4 ounces, I want to say 8 ounces, but I can't be sure). According to the labeling, there is 10mg of DXM per 5ml, so there would be approximately 225mg of DXM per bottle. If I was taking 8 ounce bottles, then it would have been more like 900mg. I used to take it about once a month for 3-4 months, and then I've done it twice since then.

I'm not blaming DXm, I am just curious, because I started noticing my mental degradation about a month after the 3-4 months I did the DXM.

I'm asking also because I cannot find much information on the harmful effects of DXM. Maybe it's just because I'm looking in the wrong places.

I don't know which bottles you were drinking from. THe big bottles I used had 720 MG, so two would be 1440 MG.

You say you did 400 MG once a month for a few months? Are you serious? That is essentially a minimum dose. I don;t see how htat could have caused the problems you described.

Its not minimum really...

400mg takes my friend to 6mg/kg, thats still pretty solid 2nd plateau. It all depends on weight. I mean if this guys a big dude then 400 is nothing. 400 gets me to 4mg/kg.

And some people dont process DXM as well as others. Its a strange chemical.

Its not minimum really...

400mg takes my friend to 6mg/kg, thats still pretty solid 2nd plateau. It all depends on weight. I mean if this guys a big dude then 400 is nothing. 400 gets me to 4mg/kg.

And some people dont process DXM as well as others. Its a strange chemical.

wow. I weigh 150 pounds and I took at least 720 mg almsot every time.
If 400 mg isn;t a min dose, what is? 200? 250? Surely that would do almsot nothing?

Yeah it depends on everyone. I consider minimal dosage under 3mg/kg.

And it does something. In fact i LOVE the effect from dxm at 1.5mg/kg. Its perfect social lube. I become more rowdy and fun and lose some inhibition. Take me to a ball game and I'm a lot more active in the crowd. At friends houses I start the party.

Its such an odd drug. Such strangely different effects at different levels. Its really something.