• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives [DXM Subthread] Long-term DXM Effects & Addiction

I have been an abuser of DXm for five years on and off and have used it probably around 400 times or more... I have decided to quit after experiencing what I believe to be kidney problems due to my use... I have yet to go to the doctor about it but I am on Monday... I have difficulty urinating at times and fear that I may have irreversible damage due to my use... Has any other heavy user experiences anything similar to this? If so what what the outcome and what happened? The last thing I want is a catheter at 19..

Im not worried about anything of this exsept for the fact that I might have long term damaged my brain

lol lol lol

you remind me a friend of mine who died after overdosing on crack and meth... afterwards, he always said, "i am not worry about anything except for the little issue of being dead"

i lost motor control after doing dxm and could easily do front flips and back flips. i started using dxm, i tried doing back flips and front flips and nearly broke my neck. it messed up my equilibrium

long-term tinnitus developed because of dxm

i had atleast 6 months of hppd because of dxm use that lasted a year.

I have not used dxm in two years and my ears ring 24/7 now because of that disgusting shit.

I was abusing it for a few years severely from 15 to 18. I have been having so many issues and beginning to think it is linked to damage from that abuse. I wish I never did that to myself. I tried to get help in this regard but mental health staff danced around it focusing on medicating me. Those medications caused issues as well. Man I forgot about tying my health issues to something over a decade ago that was plain stupid. This post of yours helps me feel less crazy about what is wrong with me.

-Shanna Banana-

So coriciden is bad? I abused it severely for 3 years with the Z's and Robo. I was diagnosed with bipolar 10 years later and getting worse with age. starting to shake and muscles are mega tight. Please I need more information. I am desperate for knowledge. I tried getting information on this through mental health facility but they just wanted to push more pills down my throat.

-Shanna Banana-

Coricidin Questions

I abused coricidin for 3 years along side other cough medicines. This was from 15-18 now I am 30. However I have had cognitive issues and disorders that are getting worse with age. My memory is nearly non-existent at this point. Are there any sources that get into the in depth nature of long term damage? I feel lie I am losing my mind at times and I know this is why. It changed me took my creative nature away and memory after i stopped when I was a teenager entering adulthood. I am no asking for a pity party. I really badly need to find a way to confirm this. My brain is misfiring everything. My equilibrium and depth perception is worthless these days. I am losing control with this shaking that has began.

-Shanna Banana-

I have been an abuser of DXm for five years on and off and have used it probably around 400 times or more... I have decided to quit after experiencing what I believe to be kidney problems due to my use... I have yet to go to the doctor about it but I am on Monday... I have difficulty urinating at times and fear that I may have irreversible damage due to my use... Has any other heavy user experiences anything similar to this? If so what what the outcome and what happened? The last thing I want is a catheter at 19..

I've experienced this though I've only used dxm maybe 15-20 times (at one point FAR too frequently though). Anyway, it turned out to be related to dehydration which I'm sure is a very common problem for dxm abusers. Dxm almost always causes some level of dehydration, even after one use, but with chronic abuse it can definitely get severe enough to cause some urinary symptoms. I got my kidneys checked out as I had a history of infections before ever using drugs, and they're perfect according to my doctor. No signs of any damage to the bladder or urinary tract either. It's always a good idea to get your kidneys checked out, but in my case it was simply dehydration.

I have been taking DXM at a dose of roughly 1-2 times a week for a little over a year now. However, around the 5 month period, I stopped all DXM use for about a month and a half and experience HORRIBLE short-term memory loss, complete loss of tickle sense, much more monotone voice, and my proneness to boredom increased significantly.

Also not sure if this is related or not but I have always had a tendency to take DXM on an empty stomach to increase the effectiveness of the high and I presently have a pretty difficult time keeping average amounts of food down without throwing up and have to eat food in small portions periodically throughout the day. Not sure if this is a result of DXM messing with my stomach lining or what but thought i'd throw it in there if anyone else can confirm.

Shanna Banana-

Have you been clinically diagnosed with any disorders?

It seems that what you're experiencing now may be the product of a thought loop. Like a form of chronic anxiety thats been growing for so long that it pulled down with it a curtain of depression. This can be a traumatic experience. It's almost as if the sun has been steadily setting over the course of 15 years, and has now met the horizon.

Psychological disorders by definition can be a frightening thing. But interestingly, the psyche and the body are a single thing. So before getting too crippled in thought, we can look at what thoughts and what actions we display on a daily basis. If this relationship isn't considered, healing cannot take place. The mind will reflect the body, and the body reflects the mind. So any stimulus has direct impact on the body and mind. Put a drug in the body, feel the drug in your mind. The way you react to the feeling of the drug reflects back into the body as a form of physical sensation.

Anxiety, looping, and depression can lead to bodily misalignments. Perceptual distortions, tremors, and an array of other ailments.

So it's just an idea, but maybe you can ask yourself .. what have i done, what am I doing, and what am i going to do now With my BODY? What improvements can i make to my physical health? Because we can't change what happens in the mind by thinking. The mind has done its job. It's given you the realization 'Something is wrong'. Now that you realize it, look at your body and take the first step in repairing it. It can be as simple as switching from juice to water in the morning. Maybe adding a fruit into the cereal. Everybody operates at different levels. Medical intervention is always an option but I believe we ultimately hold the key to our own health.

Last edited:
I'm very much with crashing on this one [MENTION=407894]shannabanana11[/MENTION] it's going to take an effort to make changes that disrupt the feedback loop you're in. Juice to water is both a mindset and a practical suggestion for changes you can make in your life to break the pattern. As someone who chased intense experience I can say it has a disruptive effect on ones internal experiential barometer. All or nothing. Well, in spite of that mindset even I concede that it is the accumulation of little things -- changes in this feedback loop we call life -- that is gonna get you there. It may be a few iterations before you experience real joy from it, but damn it, you know how to pay attention enough to see if something is working. Go in that direction. Don't deny yourself that inner voice of knowing no matter how messed up you believe yourself to be.

I don't have a long history of DXM use but have used dissociatives rather aggressively for periods of time and more recently took a very large dosage (overdosage) of DXM that had a strong effect on my mental state afterwards, including some of the effects you describe. I tend towards intense experiences so I to often devalue the mundane and ordinary. I'm working on this too, but can tell you the mundane is the door to the extraordinary. At the risk of sounding like a broken record in the PD I want to recommend a breath work modality like rebirthing, holotropic breath work or transformational breath. I'm as tough a nut to crack as they come having gone to real extremes myself and it has been a source of grace in my life. I'd strongly recommend it to you and if you are interested in learning more feel free to PM me or do a google search on those terms. Best wishes.

Clarity

Shanna Banana-

Have you been clinically diagnosed with any disorders?

It seems that what you're experiencing now may be the product of a thought loop. Like a form of chronic anxiety thats been growing for so long that it pulled down with it a curtain of depression. This can be a traumatic experience. It's almost as if the sun has been steadily setting over the course of 15 years, and has now met the horizon.

Psychological disorders by definition can be a frightening thing. But interestingly, the psyche and the body are a single thing. So before getting too crippled in thought, we can look at what thoughts and what actions we display on a daily basis. If this relationship isn't considered, healing cannot take place. The mind will reflect the body, and the body reflects the mind. So any stimulus has direct impact on the body and mind. Put a drug in the body, feel the drug in your mind. The way you react to the feeling of the drug reflects back into the body as a form of physical sensation.

Anxiety, looping, and depression can lead to bodily misalignments. Perceptual distortions, tremors, and an array of other ailments.

So it's just an idea, but maybe you can ask yourself .. what have i done, what am I doing, and what am i going to do now With my BODY? What improvements can i make to my physical health? Because we can't change what happens in the mind by thinking. The mind has done its job. It's given you the realization 'Something is wrong'. Now that you realize it, look at your body and take the first step in repairing it. It can be as simple as switching from juice to water in the morning. Maybe adding a fruit into the cereal. Everybody operates at different levels. Medical intervention is always an option but I believe we ultimately hold the key to our own health.

Let me tell you I have been generally drug free for over a decade. I just want to understand what is going on with my body. What is looping? I am getting tremors and my hands have their own mind like I drop stuff I am trying to hold onto or my hands lock up. I have a desperate need to understand this all. I was diagnosed with PTSD Bipolar social anxiety and social phobia. All of which is getting worse with age. I went thru dbt for a few years it helped but not everything. I just want to know is the coriceden the reason?

I can't say what the reason for this malady may be. Seemingly, it's the accumulation of your life from point of coricidin abuse up until now. I'm not far from you in terms of age but in general just a lazy drug taking thinker - far from a doctor, but i feel like anybody can uncover mysteries within themselves at the proper moment.

I truly believe we all experience the same things at different points on the same line.

I actually have a very similar thing going on right now in my body. It's not from DXM, it's from heavy abuse of heroin.

Now, not that the heroin itself caused damage but the things that I did while on heroin. Like, nod out in a chair. Doing this for years, just sitting there. Nothing happening. No body movement. This had detrimental effects on me which i was completely oblivious to up until years after the event.

Physical ailments that mirrored my anxieties that stem from the abuse i put my body through. I've damage a part of my Ear/Nose/Throat physiology, causing a very rare disorder called patulous Eustachian tube. When it is triggered, I literally go insane because I can't stop fixating on it. Why is this happening, how do i stop this, why me, I don't want this feeling. So in a public scenario, anxiety can trigger this physical ailment and then as my auditorial equilibrium is thrown out of balance, i suddenly become very self conscious about the way i sound and the volume at which I speak. It really is a crippling experience.

The muscle tissues in my legs had whittled down from a young athletes legs to two spindles not unlike a dying man of age 80, according to Doctors. But, as the muscle structures in my legs deteriorated, and I remained high.. it wasn't until much much later that I realized, the way that i am walking is literally destroying my body. Because i'm walking on legs that i used to have, thinking i'm the same body i've always been. Well, it's not true. Now, i've hyperextended my right knee, honestly not even sure if i'll be able to work tomorrow. But I have to, so I'll hyper extend it even more.

One night I fell asleep after a long meth binge onto my right arm. Being a bass player, i cherish my hands and fingers. Coincidentally, I was using being in a band as a disguise to be able to abuse drugs. What did I create for myself? Well, i woke up with no feeling in my right hand at all. I had fallen asleep when the meth wore off for around 14 hours on the hard floor with my arm curled under my chest. I wasn't able to feel my hand for half the day, and from that day forward I feel the tendency in my shoulder and elbow to snap that nerve out of whack and cause me instant pain and numbness in half my hand. So now I deal with chronic cubital tunnel.

But all these physical ailments are just memories resurfacing in the mind which is at times more obvious in the body.

Anyway, I realized how to heal myself. Realize you are not alone, we can heal ourselves, the answers all arrive at points that may seem unclear at the time. The fact that you want to understand the nature of your ailments, the mind/body relationship shows that you are already on the path to healing. How long it will take depends on how honest you are with yourself regarding your own health.

I personally am trying to consistently think about healing and slowly add more and more actions on a daily basis. I know some scars will never heal but remain as a physical memory.

But I need to make drastic lifestyle changes, or my ailments will spiral out of control and eventually become a barnacle upon my vessel.

In summary, coricidin may be the biggest contribution, but it may not. I have measurable physiological and physical damage from psychedelics, opiates, and stimulants. Ultimately we travel into the mist together on this one. Gotta get up and change something.

One nice piece of wisdom i can give is that we are cyclical by nature. So 15 years to the coricidin, 15 years until now... the pattern reveals a change is soon to come, in my opinion.

I recently did 4 trips, 2 of them on consecutive days, waited a week, then another 2 during the next saturday and sunday. I notice a tiny bit of mental slugishness the next day, but I still feel well. They were only 330mg(aprox.) trips.

What I've noticed is that I've started to get really intense dreams, like feeling odd sensations in the dreams, and dreaming vividly Every night, even when I take an hour long nap. Usually im not a heavy dreamer, maybe once every 2 months...
Has anybody else had realistic dreams after dxm use? Like where you're kinda surprised it wasnt real when you wake up in your room?

Edit: the dreams arent on the night of the trips...but after a couple nights after the trips

I get more dreams the nights after DXM also. I used to remember them well, but not anymore, but I know I still dream more the nights after DXM.

I've been addicted to this stuff for like 10 years. My short-term memory isn't as good as it used to be.

I had 100 mg of dxm and had a really intense bad trip and now it's two days later and I'm constantly having panic attacks and feeling like I am still om the dxm although the feeling is not as intense as the actual trip itself... if anyone has felt like this / knows how to make this stop please help.