• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives [DXM Subthread] Long-term DXM Effects & Addiction

MrDiamondFDC said:
I drank 4-8 ounces of tussin just about every day the whole year of 2003. After that I started getting the powder. My friends and I took 500 mgs twice a day for seven days in a row and I had tunnel vision for two weeks afterward and had a hard time holding onto things because me hands were so gittery. It was cool tho because all I had to do was smoke some weed and I would start tripping. My OCD has gotten much worse. I still use DXM maybe 4 times a year but all it does now is make me feel retarded for a day.

8(

holy fuck dude. Do you notice any long term effects from that? Besides the ocd, do you have any lasting effects? Thats fucked up, every day? i would go insane man, when i do it once i feel like im.. lost in this world, like im dreaming for about 3 days. It's real hard to describe but, i guess i feel like i have no sense of what reality is. Its pretty fucking messed up. But doing it every day for a year?!!? Id be perma fried tbh.

When I take DXM once in a month (over a gram) I feel like I'm on fire the whole next week. I get courage and a natural boost of energy and I don't desire drugs etc. But when I do it more often it goes to waste and I can get more foggy. DXM makes me less intelligent but I think that is a good thing. I start to trust my feelings and intuition much more and believe in what I am doing because my fucked up brain doesn't know how to control me anymore. I've got a big problem with my brain and DXM helps to shut it up and let me be myself and actually feel things insted of thinking about them.

In this study they say that DXM does not give lesions to rats http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17573115
With huge dosages for 30 days straight and even with dosages that kill them! I still wonder why people are so scared about DXM. Is there something wrong with the study? There is no proof that DXM causes lesions but there is proof that it doesn't cause any and actually protects from many forms of brain damage. The only reason to think that DXM causes lesions is that it is slightly similar to PCP and MK-801. It's like when they tested speed on rats and claimed that MDMA is horribly toxic. But DXM definitely changes you. Probably not permanently but it is a good reason to be careful and know what you are doing.

Last edited:
my memory is sort of fucked, so I can be positive, but I believe I've taken DXM over 200 times in the span of about 3 years. Starting off with Tussin DM syrup 4oz to 8oz to 12oz to 16oz to coricidin...the most I did of that was probably 30 at one time....after I found out about the dangers of Triple C's I started downing two bottles of Robogels to downing 5 bottles of Robogels....and then Zicam came out with the Cough Melts and Cough Mist. These are what would finally curb my enthusiasm towards DXM use altogether. The most frequent I was doing DXM was probably a few times a week at the beginning to every few months in the middle and now I only take DXM to potentiate opiates.

I can agree with Elinisti in saying that many times after I would use DXM, the whole next week I would feel great about things and would also be into a more sober lifestyle but it would fade after about 2 weeks and I would end up feeling worse than before.

I have had unexplainable things happen to me on dex... one time I drank 3 Zicam Cough Mists...the daytime kind, not the night (daytime is like 340mg opposed to like 540mg plus some alcohol in the night kind). I had swiped these from Walmart and didn't realize that one of the three had Phenylephrine in it, the decongestant that replaced psuedoephedrine. I walked to the Mcdonalds five minutes down the road to meet a friend that was picking up my money because they were getting me a quarter of some reggo's....I vaguely remember getting back to my house...but I remember distinctively feeling and thinking "Oh shit, this is coming on strong..and fast...not in a good way" somewhere between my driveway and mickey d's (maybe 2000 feet tops). This fateful night would send my soul out of my body and show my true self what I was getting into...who I could be joining and where. It was just like this dark and evil dimension that was packed with very bad entities of people that had done bad shit and been drug addicts. I don't remember any language being spoken or any one being talking to me...I just already knew why I was there and what was around me and why I was being shown this. At this point, I remember my mom somehow coming into the OBE with me and pulling me as I was being pulled by another force. I remember her saying some sort of prayer or something of the sort and feeling like I knew she had to give up something significant in order to trade for my life. While I was blacked out (something that has never happened before while taking DXM, even with alcohol)..I guess I was falling down my stairs and doing ridiculous things. I thought it was nuts that my soul could be somewhere else while my body was still doing things. Like I was in two places at one time. I told my mom about how I saw her and felt her presence during what had happened and I knew how she had given something up to save me from being torn into another world....she immediately got super quiet and said, "yeah well it better not happen again because im not going to be your little trip sitter" she has never fully admitted to what happened, because I think she just doesnt want to talk about it, but I know she helped save me. After this I went to rehab a week later after using dex again at a much much lower dose, but using again nonetheless...

I liked whoever said that this is the psychedelic version of huffing gas. It's poor man's acid. I mean, pure dextromethorphan hydrobromide or hydrocholoride is one thing, but all these OTC products with inactice ingredients and all the other shit thats packed in there....theres no way it is healthy...sure, it may be beneficial and I love to use it in combination with Tramadol or other weak opiates to make them a little bit better...but I think DXM really fucked up my head for a long time. My muscle were weaker, my thoughts were crazier, my concentration was nonexistant, my emotions were all over the place and I embarassed myself and my family becoming a stupid cough medicine junkie.

Oh another unexplainable thing that happened involving dimensions and Out of Body Experiences was when I took 30 coricidin and sat on the edge of my futon and learned how to go anywhere in the world I wanted to with the power of my mind...I remember figuring it out and being in total disbelief by what I had just stumbled into...I tried testing it...And thought about New York City (somewhere I've never been) and boom, it was like I was there walking in Times Square and then I tested it again to a more complex level...If I could be in certain places could I also see certain things? Apparently, yes, I could...I tried to imagine looking at the bumper of an early 90s white ford 150...and there I was looking at my reflection in the shiny aluminum bumper. I've had more experiences but just typing this last two has taken a lot of time and thinking.

shannonsensimilla said:
I can agree with Elinisti in saying that many times after I would use DXM, the whole next week I would feel great about things and would also be into a more sober lifestyle but it would fade after about 2 weeks and I would end up feeling worse than before.

I try to make sure that I don't slip into my old habits. It is the most important thing to do. Basically I try to keep my self off anything that brings me pleasure for as long time as possible. I try not to get angry to myself when I slip and I try not to be too fanatical about it so I wouldn't turn in a masochist. I do things that I love and the more I'm filled with love the less I desire the old habits and the less depressed I am. The problem is to know what you really love instead of what you think you love. But DXM helps with that. It reconnects me with my true feelings insted of what I've learned to feel.

Thug Love said:
Well I don't know about long term but the day after i do dxm i feel like a fucking faggot. Like everything is boring, i feel deppressed, i just sit around all day. It makes me not want to do dxm. Which is a good thing cause if i felt fine the day after i'd prolly do it more often ha.

LoL. This makes me never wanna even try and find it.

I'll stick to the basics, thanks: thc, mdma, mda, alcohol, coca

Nah i'd say it's worth trying just once. i didn't get these side effects the first like 4 times i did it.

moonyham said:
8(

holy fuck dude. Do you notice any long term effects from that? Besides the ocd, do you have any lasting effects? Thats fucked up, every day? i would go insane man, when i do it once i feel like im.. lost in this world, like im dreaming for about 3 days. It's real hard to describe but, i guess i feel like i have no sense of what reality is. Its pretty fucking messed up. But doing it every day for a year?!!? Id be perma fried tbh.

No physical effects but I don't like being in in large groups of people anymore. Other than that, I seem the same as I was before I started tripping( OCD & Bi-Polar excluded)

I'd like if we could discuss what we think the possible physical dangers of DXM are:

For example, is it proven that it can do any permanent heart damage. I notice how my body gets very warm on DXM and I know it can raise blood pressure, can't it?

Also, can long-term heavy DXM use be damaging to the liver?

What about the kidneys? Can all the sugar and crap in cough syrup damage one's kidneys over time? A friend of mine who was a very heavy DXM user now has kidney stones.

Can DXM permanently damage the lining of the stomach and one's esophagus if you throw up frequently enough from DXM?

I thought it might be easier for us to reach a consensus on the physical dangers of DXM rather than the mental dangers, as those are so hotly debated.

The fact the nights I use DXM I awake next morning with no sign of a physical hangover suggests to me it can't be TOO terribly physically harmful to me. I've prob. used DXM close to or over 1,000 times now in my lifetime and when doctor's do physicals of my health it looks fine for a 25 year old. Most my DXM use was at the 700 mg level over the years. Sometimes I had phases where I did 1,000 mg+ each time but mainly 700 mg.

The Wizard said:
I'd like if we could discuss what we think the possible physical dangers of DXM are:

For example, is it proven that it can do any permanent heart damage. I notice how my body gets very warm on DXM and I know it can raise blood pressure, can't it?

Also, can long-term heavy DXM use be damaging to the liver?

What about the kidneys? Can all the sugar and crap in cough syrup damage one's kidneys over time? A friend of mine who was a very heavy DXM user now has kidney stones.

Can DXM permanently damage the lining of the stomach and one's esophagus if you throw up frequently enough from DXM?

I thought it might be easier for us to reach a consensus on the physical dangers of DXM rather than the mental dangers, as those are so hotly debated.

The fact the nights I use DXM I awake next morning with no sign of a physical hangover suggests to me it can't be TOO terribly physically harmful to me. I've prob. used DXM close to or over 1,000 times now in my lifetime and when doctor's do physicals of my health it looks fine for a 25 year old. Most my DXM use was at the 700 mg level over the years. Sometimes I had phases where I did 1,000 mg+ each time but mainly 700 mg.

Ok well:

1: i dont think so, your blood pressure and heart beat rising isnt neccasarily bad for you unless its sustained over long long periods of time, like days/weeks/months.

2: not sure

3: Thats not dxm, merely what its suspended in. DXM by itself doesnt contain sugar.

4: I dont know about this, but does pure dxm make you vomit/feel sick? Or is it just because of the cough syrup? I dont know but when i feel sick its after ive downed some cough syrup and tahts it, kind of like alcohol, i only want to vomit strait after ive done a shot etc, but not a min or so after.

I dont think DXM is *too* bad for you, my body doesnt feel fucked and i wake up just feeling spaced out etc and feel like im dreaming. If theres any danger i think its(physically) to your brain.

Do not reply to this thread if you have nothing to add to the fucking topic at hand. I don't care if you hate DXM, that isn't why I made this thread. I don't care if you think it's disgusting and toxic or what your during-trip experiences were, I am only interested in it's long term effects on the mind and body. Take your trip stories somewhere else. Don't you people know how to stay on topic?

Definitely. OTC preparations are exceptionally harder on the kidneys compared to pure DXM. I suffered from light kidney damage from doing Zicam Cough Max too frequently a few months ago.

The DXM itself wouldn't, but the stomach acid might.

It is the DXM itself that causes the most nausea, but sugars from syrups, and polysorbate 60/80 in Zicam products also cause nausea.

Regarding my original post... These mental and physical effects manifested after a period of one and a half months of abstinence from DXM. When I started using again (powder, this time), they went away. I now have no powder left and am content that I have tried every preparation of DXM and experienced every plateau (including sigma) that there is to reach. I do not plan on doing DXM like I have previously ever again. It has been two weeks since I have used and I feel at peace with myself once again. I now respond to a tickle, and my personality has returned to normal (at least as normal as one can feel after a year of using a heavy dissociative :p)

it seems that people who are involved in psychedelics take dxm towards the beginning of their career because there is very easy access to it. I stand by that this shit is dangerous and no one should taking any drug at an exponentially higher level than the medicinal dose of dxm more than once a month. I mean i remember taking 500mg and being FUCKED for way more than a day. you guys all take way too fucking much and it is obvious there are side effects but you refuse to stop.

where is the harm reduction!!!

would you really sacrafice your mental cognition on something? you guys all recognize impairing or frusterating side effects that last for months or sometimes years but still indulged CONSTANTLY. i just dont get bluelight sometimes

I spent an entire summer dosing 300mg a day, and so far I have noticed no ill effects. This was of course wreckless and I am in no way advising it in any shape or fom. It did however serve it's purpose in bringing me out of a 2 year long deep depression and kept me out for quite some time (after discontinuation that is). I don't use it any longer, simply because the effects have waned and it's mostly just an anxiety trip. I will indulge with a benzo however, once in a blue moon.

Ketamine would be the far better choice if your into dissociatives.

Definitely. OTC preparations are exceptionally harder on the kidneys compared to pure DXM. I suffered from light kidney damage from doing Zicam Cough Max too frequently a few months ago.

Does this apply to coughgels as well? I never took syrup, only the robo coughgels.

dimensiontripping said:
it seems that people who are involved in psychedelics take dxm towards the beginning of their career because there is very easy access to it. I stand by that this shit is dangerous and no one should taking any drug at an exponentially higher level than the medicinal dose of dxm more than once a month. I mean i remember taking 500mg and being FUCKED for way more than a day. you guys all take way too fucking much and it is obvious there are side effects but you refuse to stop.

where is the harm reduction!!!

would you really sacrafice your mental cognition on something? you guys all recognize impairing or frusterating side effects that last for months or sometimes years but still indulged CONSTANTLY. i just dont get bluelight sometimes

DXM is extremely addictive, though the addiction and cravings do not last very long, they are very intense and strong. I would say this has something to do with the cause of people becoming heavy users.

moonyham said:
DXM is extremely addictive, though the addiction and cravings do not last very long, they are very intense and strong. I would say this has something to do with the cause of people becoming heavy users.

I grew up with a friend who got totally hooked on otc dxm and dramamine. he was dosing them and mixing them ALL the time. nearly every day or other day he would be tripping balls for nearly 2 years. he lost his personality and now is dull. though he does tour in a band full-time now and has stabilized himself financially but dxm made him dull. he has a lack of emotion and is completely indifferent to all negative and positive interactions. it breaks my heart to see somoene suffer that way from a drug. its not like heroin or alcohol where the person can stabilize themselves outside of addiction eventually. he literally has become perma-fried; sacraficing part of him to a drug.

I experienced loss of depression and a feeling of extreme dissociation and apathy, all of which were good. No bad side effects. And it was maybe 10 times a month.

I wonder how many middle aged and older folks are out there who've used DXM recreationally on and off for decades. DXM abuse dates back to at least the 1960's so surely there must be some much older people out there who used it steadily/sporadically for decades and are still alive to tell us about it. Wonder what their bodies/minds look like...

Are you guys of the opinion most DXM induced mental/physical damage can totally repair itself with abstinence?