• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives [DXM Subthread] Long-term DXM Effects & Addiction

Isn't life strange?

Some people can have drug-induced epiphanies off of an over-the-counter cough medicine.

hey iox,
here's photo documentation from a recent study conducted by DARF CA (the dextromethorphan abuse research foundation of california).
dex.jpg

i spoke to the chair of DARF at a recent conference and he suggested that anyone with the s/n of iox should huff a fart and die. if you need instructions, i can supply you with a pdf. take care!

I really have nothing useful to add. Except that I would like to sincerely thank iox for reminding all of us PDers of our inadequacies, and reinforcing the commonly-held belief in the PD forum that we're all worthless retards that have nothing of substance to say. For a minute, I was starting to get delusional and assume that this actually is a quality forum and that iox is just a douche; however, thankfully I've come to my senses and now realize how awesomely cool iox is--and also, how much we can learn from such a strong and virile personality that is "iox".

I abused DXM almost daily for about 6 months, when I stopped I suffered from short term memory loss, stuttering, I found myself constantly not being able to think of a certain word that I wanted to use, I would try to speak but I would re-arrange words in the sentence or phrase, before DXM I had near-perfect vision and after DXM my vision has diminished quite a bit.

It has been 5 months since I stopped using DXM, and all of these effects still persist.

Roger&Me said:
I really have nothing useful to add. Except that I would like to sincerely thank iox for reminding all of us PDers of our inadequacies, and reinforcing the commonly-held belief in the PD forum that we're all worthless retards that have nothing of substance to say. For a minute, I was starting to get delusional and assume that this actually is a quality forum and that iox is just a douche; however, thankfully I've come to my senses and now realize how awesomely cool iox is--and also, how much we can learn from such a strong and virile personality that is "iox".
Thank god for sarcasm, I'm sure that's what really contributes to the quality of this forum :p

Dear iox,

Please go back to one of those other drug forums from whence you came if you plan to continue your douche baggery. The repliers to your thread were attempting to provide the information you requested. Half of the excerpts you quoted in your rebuttal actually did contain useful information. It is not the fault of the posters of Bluelight that you don't feel like our replies are adequate, and/or you do not feel like actually reading every word posted. Here are Bluelight, the creation of a thread goes beyond the immediate value of the person who posted it... we are an open forum which is dedicated to the spread of knowledge to everyone. If you'd prefer to be a member at a forum where the thread starter can delete or edit replies, then I eagerly invite you to return to said forum(s). Otherwise, kindly take your negativity and self-absorbtion elsewhere so we can continue useful discourse in the real-world... we did not sign up for iox-world when we joined Bluelight. You, however, did agree to the Bluelight User Agreement when you joined Bluelight.

And if you continue posting inappropriately, warnings will be issued. Have a nice day. :)

-Xorkoth

As for my real opinion on this issue.

What it does to behaviour?
My friend who used habitually for over only 1 yr(tripped every other day kinda thing with maybe little breaks here n there).
Is now no longer my friend... just because he is to "out of it" "fried" if u will.
He is like an excited puppy and gets up in your face and just laughs and smiles like a nut and creeps everyyyyyyyyyfuknbody out. Its sad. I mean he literally throws himself an inch from your face n just laughs, no he had no underlying mental conditions. The DXM just messed him up, n it sucks because he was a cool ass guy before his use.

Does this mean this is an affect of DXM? not necessarily hes just one case.
but beware...

Drownrat said:
stuttering, I found myself constantly not being able to think of a certain word that I wanted to use, I would try to speak but I would re-arrange words in the sentence or phrase, before DXM I had near-perfect vision and after DXM my vision has diminished quite a bit.

It has been 5 months since I stopped using DXM, and all of these effects still persist.

When I was using heavily , under influence I was sometimes suffering from heavy stuttering. It was so embarrassing , that I decided to quit for a while.

The effects you suffer, are those still as bad as they were?

I, too, used to sometimes notice my speech being seriously scrambled the day after a heavy DXM trip (1,000+ mg) and to a lesser extent the days after that. I mostly only noticed this side effect back when I was a teenager and abusing Delsym. I think this extended release form of DXM in Delsym (Dextromethorphan polystirex) is MUCH more toxic than Dextromethorphan hbr.

Regular DXM hbr these days generally doesn't make me feel really spaced out and disorganized the day after. At the worst I might have a little problems with focus and short-term memory and articulating myself but this quickly goes away.

Maybe another reason my DXM hangovers were worse as a teen than an adult were my brain was still developing and I wasn't using vitamins/health supplements/nootropics.

Lasting damage from DXM

I was wondering if there are lasting, permanent effects of DXm. I'm in a hurry atm, so I cannot make a long post, but in a nutshell, I used to take tussin (about 400mg of DXM) about once a month for a few months. After that, I had noticed a significant decrease in my mental functioning, and it has only gotten worse over the years. I used to be very intelligent, I could remember everything, and all around very smart. Now, I have an absolutely terrible memory, I have a hard time talking to people because I know what I want to say, but words don't come out how I want them to, I don't understand a lot of things anymore, and now I'm all around kinda dumb. I'm just wondering if this could have been caused by DXM, because I noticed the beginning of my mental degradation after using DXM.

Sounds to me like your DXM usage just uncovered your latent idiocy. Congratulations; you've become anti-enlightened!

dude wtf?

The lingual symptoms you describe are shared by many people who have abused DXM so yes there is a good change that part of this is due to your past usage.

do you currently take any drugs?

also, do you do as many mentally simulating things as you used to do? if not, that could be part of the problem (and maybe some of the solution too).

400mg once a month for a few months? Is this a troll post?

I'm not sure what would make you think this is a troll post. I used to do two of the big bottles of robitussin (CF I believe) I calculated the 400mg off of two 4 ounce bottles (I know where more than 4 ounces, I want to say 8 ounces, but I can't be sure). According to the labeling, there is 10mg of DXM per 5ml, so there would be approximately 225mg of DXM per bottle. If I was taking 8 ounce bottles, then it would have been more like 900mg. I used to take it about once a month for 3-4 months, and then I've done it twice since then.

I'm not blaming DXm, I am just curious, because I started noticing my mental degradation about a month after the 3-4 months I did the DXM.

I'm asking also because I cannot find much information on the harmful effects of DXM. Maybe it's just because I'm looking in the wrong places.

Last edited:
do you currently take any drugs?

also, do you do as many mentally simulating things as you used to do? if not, that could be part of the problem (and maybe some of the solution too).
I smoke pot almost every night, and occasionally I'll do lsd, doc, 2c-x, or shrooms. The most mentally stimulating things i've really done was school, and im still in college. I used to read a lot, but I've stopped reading for the most part because I cannot remember most of what I just read (when reading books), so it was too frustrating to keep trying.

Honestly I highly doubt this is the cause. But anything is possible.

Personally I dont seem to see a lot of evidence for lasting DXM effects, but on the side there hasnt been much in the way of research.

It could be possible that due to something else in your system (diet, chemical imbalance etc) that perhaps it reacted in a bad way. Although again such is purely speculation.

I've used it at upper 2nd plateau doses and a couple low 3rd plateaus, for a few months myself now, probably 3-4 times a month. Nothing bad yet :)

Evidence proving that brain damage results from dextromethorphan use appears to be nonexistent. DXM's alleged neurotoxic effects seem to be based on speculation. Since it is in the same class of chemicals as other neurotoxic dissociatives--MK-801 and PCP--the reasoning was that DXM caused brain damage as well. Recent tests seem to indicate that DXM is not neurotoxic at all.

Which isn't to say that DXM might not be the cause of your possible mental degradation. DXM does inhibit glutamate in the brain, and glutamate is an essential neurotransmitter for memory and learning, among other things. Maybe DXM use causes a long-term reduction in glutamate levels? I don't see how it could, but it might be a good idea to find out one way or the other. Maybe somebody with more understanding of this subject can share their knowledge?

Personally, when I take DXM I feel clear-headed, especially the next day. It seems to allow me to think more smoothly and efficiently, plus my imagination is enhanced dramatically. Not everybody feels this way when they take DXM, which means it's not for everybody 8) I know for certain that I get an imagination boost from the drug, but the other effects might just be a feeling.

Maybe what's happening to you is also just a feeling, and once you allow yourself to believe there's nothing wrong with you, things will get better. Belief plays a big role in our lives, whether we know it or not. If you are really concerned, see a doctor. When he tells you nothing is wrong with you... believe him!

-mec

Last edited: