Votes: 62 17.2%
  • I am female and do not want kids

Votes: 38 10.6%
  • I am female and am undecided yet

Votes: 22 6.1%
  • I am male and am undecided yet

Votes: 34 9.4%

• Total voters
^^^ I'm a firm believer in population control . . . no more than two babies per couple, per lifetime.
Are you proposing that this should be a law?

Why not :) We could have tradable "single offspring rights" cards. Every person gets one. You can give/sell yours to anyone you want, or use it.

The planet can barely provide for the population it already has... look at the starving in the world, which is only going to get much worse as the developing world's growing middle and upper classes increase meat intake (meat uses a lot more land and resources than vegetables).

Maybe because it would be an absolutely ridiculous imposition on the liberty of the individual? I can't believe that anyone in their right mind actually believes that they have the right to decide who can and cannot have children. Where on earth do you or I gain the authority to take charge of someone else's decision to procreate?

Maybe because it would be an absolutely ridiculous imposition on the liberty of the individual? I can't believe that anyone in their right mind actually believes that they have the right to decide who can and cannot have children. Where on earth do you or I gain the authority to take charge of someone else's decision to procreate?

I'm sorry... maybe you missed the smiley face, denoting a light tone to the reply.

I don't seriously believe that a law such as that should be put in place, but something sure as hell needs to be done.

It is a law in China, as far as I know.

Also, in many countries children ( people really ) are considered a resource.

Families have more children so they might go out and work to support the family unit--now and into the future. Adult children take on more financial responsibilties and physically care for aging parents and grandparents as they become less able.

I'm sorry... maybe you missed the smiley face, denoting a light tone to the reply.
Apologies, I took it to denote satisfaction and pride in the beauty and simplicity of your solution. Now a winking smiley face would have got the message across...
It is a law in China, as far as I know.
It's actually a one-child-per-couple law- any couple who have kids lose any right to a state-sponsored education, and there are a lot of reports of forced abortions and sterilisations. Nasty stuff. I must admit I'm not sure what you're getting at, China has an awful lot of bad laws.

This digression might be better suited to CE&P.

I can split these few replies away from this thread and send them over there, if you are in the mood to continue.

:)

I hear education is supposed to be good for population control. Meaning the more girls we have going for their masters and PhDs, the less likely they are to have children early in life.

Maybe some good parenting too because my friend's wife is a Math Teacher in an inner city school and she always has several classes full of teenage girls who are pregnant.
Education solves so many problems, yet America keeps on making it worse and worse. Why is that? Don't answer here.

I babysat for years and years, worked in daycare, and I love kids.
Pregnancy sounds really gross and unappealing. For 9 months.
There's always adoption, but having my own kid sounds great too...
I voted undecided.

Apologies, I took it to denote satisfaction and pride in the beauty and simplicity of your solution. Now a winking smiley face would have got the message across...

It's actually a one-child-per-couple law- any couple who have kids lose any right to a state-sponsored education, and there are a lot of reports of forced abortions and sterilisations. Nasty stuff. I must admit I'm not sure what you're getting at, China has an awful lot of bad laws.

In rural areas, the one-child policy does not necessarily apply. More on that and other info about the one-child policy here

Apologies for the derailment, Noods.

I have decided fairly firmly that the answer is yes, and that I am 50/50 on having a bio-kid or adopting a foster child. I am not hung up on passing on my genes and I'm not going to do either anytime soon as I am still working on a loving and stable home for myself. I had a dream recently where I found a toddler in a bad home and adopted her. So many such children exist. Once I get that loving and stable home, I would welcome a child gladly.

I should really just get a dog. ;)

I would LOVE to have kids someday.
Although I am in no hurry.
I am going to make sure I am completely ready to be a father.
Until then its condoms and birth control hahah..

Adoption sounds like a pretty good option to.
I feel bad for all of the individuals that are deprived of feeling true love.
I love almost all kids ;)
That are raised right atleast.

cluckiness = (hormonally) desiring urge to have children

recently i have dreamed quite a lot about babies.

i felt clucky in a previous relationship, and it was weird getting that urge in my twenties. it's a funny sensation, more than just an increased libido. it's a subtle yet ravenous lust for making babies. rar!

dunno why i just decided to describe it. just thinking about it out loud, i guess.