• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Debate] What is ego-death?

i dont understand the question, what do you mean "does it matter?"?

Does anything matter?
that is the question. I think jesus just represents hope to some people and thats all. My point was that the only questions worth asking are those that lead to answers to the question "does anything matter?".

Instead of focusing on the point I was making about the fundamentals of zazen (sitting and meditating, nothing more)

But does mindfulness have to be associated with buddhism? I certainly think being present in the moment is a good idea but I don't like to atribute that idea to buddhism. Does the fact that you can pick good bits out of most systems of thought validate the entire system?

Yes, that includes me too...but the key words are, "create their own belief systems".
The problem with so many is that they let others create these systems for them.
I grew up in the deep south of the U.S.A, so I've been surrounded by people like that. their zombies.

Do you subscribe to the "stories" in your mind control model.

what do you mean "subscribe to"? Im talking about the stories that occur in religious scriptures and the different ways of interpreting those stories, i dont know what you mean by "mind control model"?

what is an allegory if not a "story" that "teaches"?

Allegory means the same thing as 'metaphor' - ie describing something using terms that ordinarily describe something else. So in the case of the Jesus crucifixion story, you could say that Jesus' physical death on the cross is an allegory/metaphor for psychedelic ego death.

The stories do not necessarily "teach" anything, rather they describe events such as the crucifixion of Jesus. The question is are these events literal historical events? or are they allegory/metaphor/symbolism for something else such as psychedelic experiencing?

But does mindfulness have to be associated with buddhism? I certainly think being present in the moment is a good idea but I don't like to atribute that idea to buddhism. Does the fact that you can pick good bits out of most systems of thought validate the entire system?

I was not trying to sell you on Buddhism, let alone 'the entire system'. I just said that I have been on Zen-Buddhist related retreats and found the large amounts of meditation to after a while be in certain ways surprisingly similar to what LSD can do. I doubt that would be much more or less so if the meditation-focused retreat happened to have been officially christian or hindu 'themed' since there was very little influence of any tradition. (Apart from the fact that the very heavy emphasis on meditation is rather typical for Zen-Buddhism, especially western and open-to-all Zen organisations).

Tibetan Buddhism only is a part of Buddhism if you consider its full scope, which is not necessarily something you should do. Ignoring Tibetan traditions is not opportunistically picking and choosing. Their tradition is one of many, one form of it, it is not part of the essential basis that could be considered inextricable. Nevertheless I am all for making philisophical and spiritual views personalized rather than treating it like package deals, isms and institutions you can become a member of. All of that is such pigeon hole thinking. : (

Yes there are some fundamental ideas of Buddhism (mainly Zen related) that I came to 'subscribe to', i.e. it is now a part of how I theorize how the world manifests. It is mostly the school of thought that generally appeals to me. When I learned about several ideas I found them to be 'explanations' that best match spiritual / mystical experiences I had. It never or hardly ever happened the other way around for me I think.
But I am not trying to force that on anyone here or try people to sell on it here... those ideas are my personal business. I do share them sometimes. Not sure if they are entirely relevant to the discussion now though.

I do think that while skepticism is a healthy and important thing, it is also rather safe, lazy and easy to make absolutely no attempt to explain or formulate experiences of a "trans-personal" nature, or better and more generally said: experiences the Shroomery might label level 4 or 5, whatever their actual specific definitions.
Of course I don't know if nothing mind-blowing like that ever happened to you on a psychedelic, I assume they must have since you keep reassuring us that you have taken it far enough... but it is easier to criticize and doubt things other people are thinking about their own extraordinary experiences than taking a risk and saying something interesting yourself, about the most intense experiences you ever had.
Not everything you think or formulate has to be true and scientifically verifiable right away as long as you acknowledge the uncertainty of your theories. You can't really ever get anywhere if you don't dare trying experimenting or playing with ideas. But what are you actually contributing constructively or creatively? What alternative explanations or ways of describing are you actually offering if you disagree with some of the things others are reporting? (Which I still think is inappropriate to do with subjective experiences)

Last edited:
what do you mean "subscribe to"? Im talking about the stories that occur in religious scriptures and the different ways of interpreting those stories, i dont know what you mean by "mind control model"?

Allegory means the same thing as 'metaphor' - ie describing something using terms that ordinarily describe something else. So in the case of the Jesus crucifixion story, you could say that Jesus' physical death on the cross is an allegory/metaphor for psychedelic ego death.

The stories do not necessarily "teach" anything, rather they describe events such as the crucifixion of Jesus. The question is are these events literal historical events? or are they allegory/metaphor/symbolism for something else such as psychedelic experiencing?

Max, you should be a politician. You understood my question perfectly...your skirting of the issue has already answered my question anyway.
People who slither from scrutiny as you seem to, give me the impression that they are somehow ...???...GREASY?
Like a roach bolting when the lights come on.

I think our ego is self made, meaning that it takes years for it to develop and develops thought life experiences and what we've been taught. It's what defines our reality so in a sense when it dies, so does part of our reality. Seeing a dissolved reality is quite an outstanding experience. But it means something different to each n every one of us. This is why we can't label it like we're trying to do here.

I have no idea where this debate has reached but it's gotten so complex. Not that that's bad or anything, it's healthy for us to have our own truths about these higher thoughts.

I think our ego is self made, meaning that it takes years for it to develop and develops thought life experiences and what we've been taught. It's what defines our reality so in a sense when it dies, so does part of our reality. Seeing a dissolved reality is quite an outstanding experience. But it means something different to each n every one of us. This is why we can't label it like we're trying to do here.

I have no idea where this debate has reached but it's gotten so complex. Not that that's bad or anything, it's healthy for us to have our own truths about these higher thoughts.

Yeah...your thread has been officially hijacked...sorry Taterman.
Religion is just one of those hot-button issues that is too fun to pass up.

The wise know that religion and politics cannot be argued towards a point of compromise. So what's the point of the endless argument?

Of course I don't know if nothing mind-blowing like that ever happened to you on a psychedelic

Maybe it did but I didn't choose to interpret it as an "ego-death"?

Are you suggesting that if you take psychedelics for 10 years there's some hidden experience that you won't have experienced? How can that be? Does the psychedelic attach to completely different brain receptors once every 10 years?

What alternative explanations or ways of describing are you actually offering if you disagree with some of the things others are reporting?

That the "ego-death" experience is more to do with the person than the drug? As I've explained about born again christians - that's only going to happen to certain people.

What you're saying is like saying because there's a billion muslims in the world that means we're all just as likely to one day wake up believing in Allah. It doesn't work like that.

That doesn't make sense, when I had my most major ego-death experience I was not primed to experience it or interpret it that way. I told you this before: I was completely unaware of states of consciousness like that being possible. (It happened during my 2nd psychedelic experience ever)
And no I am not brought up with any religion or other belief system.

But yes I actually do think that some people are wired more to experience states like that than others, physically or psychologically though not culturally. So to me yes if you put it like that, you seem unusually unsusceptible to it and maybe I am relatively on the sensitive side although I am generally a rational and skeptical person (high functioning autism plays a role in that).

Still, I find it very curious to hear about even moderate ego-loss not seeming familiar to you and related effects of gradually losing grasp of time and space. As I keep saying, if you stick to the definitions related to sense of self rather than elaborate religion related ideas... I really don't understand what seems esoteric about it. The idea of having a sense of self seems alien to you?
What on earth happens when you take dissociatives then by the way? Please elaborate on that, describe it...

As I said before: I don't think ego dissolution is sane, but it is not a belief either. It is more akin to brain / psychological dysfunction from heavy dysregulation of brain function by psychedelics than an interpretation or belief. It happens prior to interpretation I think, in the sense that although exact descriptions may vary a bit, I still think that generally it is inescapable to completely stay away from typical descriptors of it.

Last edited:
I'm always perfectly aware that I've taken a drug when I'm on psychedelics. I can't imagine that ever changing. Albert Hoffman said that was one of the reasons psychedelics were so valuable - because you retained the knowledge of what was happening to you and you wern't simply delerious and insensible.

So if that means I've never had an ego-death that so be it.

EDIT@ RE: dissociatives - yep, I'm always perfectly aware I've taken a drug then too.

Do you also reject the idea that a K-hole type experience can happen (never mind where the line is drawn right now)? Are all those K-heads being religious sheep as well?

I think that combining a psychedelic or dissociative with meditation is a relatively more sure way to achieve ego loss or mystical type states of consciousness than taking a dose as high as you possibly can.

There are also other things that can trigger it, in my experience I have gone through such a torturous trip that I accepted death over the trip continuing. When I did that I felt as though I ceased to exist in any normal capacity, it triggered the ego death / ego loss experience. Apparently it was so traumatic that I was cut off from normal consciousness. This was that second time I ever tripped and like I mentioned earlier it lasted for hours.
Another time I was during a trip surprised by the beauty of a certain song and that was such a touching experience to me that it triggered a rebirth experience (I never did any research on christian born-again stuff so I can't compare), I just experienced the end of any sort of awareness (again it is different from going unconscious, I felt very conscious of that), then a void / nothingness... followed by me starting to exist again, this alternated a few times (I felt like I died and was born a number of times!) before staying in a state where I felt alive. I had a huge tendency at that point to cry out like a newborn, it was like being 'booted up', deeply therapeutic and refreshening in a way.
While I don't think there is any significant difference between the 'voids' I experienced during different trips that involved ego dissolution, the context is definitely important and that traumatic time was shrouded in the context of a negative trip while that other time was in a positive setting. But that mostly relates to any emotions felt at the times ramping up to going to that void / nothingness or coming back from it.

You can just say that I hallucinated all that and it would be just as true, nothing would change with that. And I don't presume to derive any truths from having felt those things.

My roommate has also gone through multiple (even many) states of ego dissolution, he had had some before we ever met each other but we also experienced it together / while being together. That rebirth type trip I just described was with him there.
I think we would agree that LSD + ketamine together was the most annihilating for us, external triggers like that traumatic trip and that music excluded. But those external triggers kind of do suggest that extreme states like that may be unpredictable and hard to trigger. They really took me by surprise.

Last edited:
I'm always perfectly aware that I've taken a drug when I'm on psychedelics. I can't imagine that ever changing. Albert Hoffman said that was one of the reasons psychedelics were so valuable - because you retained the knowledge of what was happening to you and you wern't simply delerious and insensible.

So if that means I've never had an ego-death that so be it.

EDIT@ RE: dissociatives - yep, I'm always perfectly aware I've taken a drug then too.

Have you smoked salvia? Amnesic experience is very common on strong salvia trips, you dont only forget that you took a drug, you also forget what "taking drugs" even means in the first place, a very extreme degree of dissociation.

You talk so much about what you havent experienced on psychedelics, it leaves me wondering what you actually do experience when you take them!

One of the key aspects of ego death experience is the loss of mental control, from what you say it sounds like you always remain firmly in control of your mind when you trip, well within your comfort zone. Ego death by contrast is a very uncomfortable experience, the feeling that you have lost absolutely everything, forever.

If you want to experience ego death, you need to trip harder, push the boat out into unchartered territory, instead of focusiing your attention towards the external world when you trip, turn it inwards towards yourself, then the real magic happens....

Last edited:
Have you smoked salvia? Amnesic experience is very common on strong salvia trips, you dont only forget that you took a drug, you also forget what "taking drugs" even means in the first place, a very extreme degree of dissociation.

You talk so much about what you havent experienced on psychedelics, it leaves me wondering what you actually do experience when you take them!

One of the key aspects of ego death experience is the loss of mental control, from what you say it sounds like you always remain firmly in control of your mind when you trip, well within your comfort zone. Ego death by contrast is a very uncomfortable experience, the feeling that you have lost absolutely everything, forever.

i don't think anyone is saying that^ at all..
First, an amnesiac experience doesn't even count as an experience...so that point is moot.

Second, i can only speak for of course, but just because I am aware that i'm tripping doesn't mean that i haven't "had the feeling that i've lost everything", my mind included...i just don't call it "ego death".

My drug of choice is DMT and for someone to say i haven't tripped because i haven't experienced your version of ego death is ludicrous...I have seen the formation of the universe from the beginning of time...to the present, and I was aware that "I" was "I" every second of that bazillion years....

Lastly, what exactly is "loss of mental control"...if your mind was truly that out of control...you'd be back to the amnesiac experience, which, as i've pointed out isn't an experience at all.

amnesiac experience doesn't even count as an experience

It is quite commonly reported as an aspect of the Salvia experience - radical amnesia.

My drug of choice is DMT

with DMT you need to ingest it orally to get the full psychedelic effect, if you only smoke it you dont get the chance to have the long trip that plays out over multiple hours

Lastly, what exactly is "loss of mental control"...if your mind was truly that out of control...you'd be back to the amnesiac experience, which, as i've pointed out isn't an experience at all.

Loss of control is not the same thing as loss of memory, these are 2 very different things.

You normally experience yourself as being in control of your thoughts, ego is precisely the "thinker" behind the thoughts as in - "I think, therefore I exist", but during a strong psychedelic experience this ordinary feeling of effective mental control is replaced by the experience of non-control, literally losing control of your own mind. This is where ego death happens, the egoic mental configuration (cognitive mechanism) breaks down and self-destructs by claiming its own nonexistence to itself, because the egoic mind identifies with the controller of the stream of thoughts - the ego/I/self, so loss of control is the same thing as loss of identity, if egoic self-control doesnt exist, then the ego cannot exist.

Last edited: