• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Crystal Meth Withdrawal Length

...Yes, shake and bake. No it's not garbage. Yes it is the same thing they both are L-methamphetamines.
L-isomer meth isn't what you want, you've got them mixed up. D-meth is what gets you high.
L-meth is mainly used as a decongestant and is what they put in Vicks inhalers.

Methamphetamine in large amounts is an SSRI, depending on your brain chemistry, you can go through withdrawals similar to coming down off an SSRI. They're referred to as brain zaps. It is an unsteady, swooshy feeling when you move your eyes or head. I haven't met many people who this has happened to.

I recently had a break and apart from toilet runs and feeding the cat, I slept about 50 hours.

I also had a few brain zaps. I knew what they were as I've been on SSRIs before, but I couldn't figure that out since I'm now on Mirtazapine. After reading this thread, it all becomes clear.

For me, missing the ritual involved with smoking is probably the hardest thing...

Meth withdrawls pleasant? I can see how it may be when your withdrawl symptoms are just sleeping and eating.

Mine have never been pleasant. I spend 2 to 3 days sleeping. I sometimes get a very deep hibernation like sleep and no matter what i do i cant stay awake even too eat. Pretty much dead to the world and when i am awake im overly emotional, crying over sad commercials and my whole body aches like i got hit by a dump truck. Sometimes i get horrible migraines.

I have also been in a withdrawl state in which staying asleep can be very difficult. I get the most vivid scary dreams that make my body tense up and jerk around. they startle and wake me up all scared. That usually last like 2 days. Brain zaps and all the other effects i mentioned above. Also bad anxiety fiending to relapse like a mofo.

It gets better after the 4th day. Than the fun part starts. Haha jk pretty much your mentally and emotionally dead to the world. Till your dopamines and serotonin get to that right level. Im no dr but i think that what keeps your brain from getting bk to normal.

Well thats the whole kit and kaboodle. My withdrawl experiences. I binge for a few months back to back with small breakes in between. I have a high tolerance and smoke big bowls.

Im also bipolar. So i dont know if the vivid dreams i get are because of that. I need to get off the ride down the icy slope soon. Tomorrow is my last night than i go cold turkey. I hate the crash, not looking forward to it but i guess thats the price you pay ugh fml.

Keep it sleazy!!

Stims do not cause any type of physical withdrawal, yet nicotine, a stimulant, is claimed to be physically addictive drug (nicotine)×(stimulant) what this crock.a shit ablut

+1 just wanted to add agreement. I had an addiction to coke and the "withdrawals" are really just mental cravings.

I did coke for no less than 15 years, eventually smoking it as my nose couldnt handle any more, and you are right that getting off of cocaine is all mental, but a person who does coke, even daily, can stop and only experience a desire to do more but if you do meth daily for a long period of time, even 4 to 6 months and just stop, it's entirely likely you will not be able to function as normal for a week at the very least. To say there is no physical withdrawal from meth is not really true, because if you just stop doing it, you wont be able to do much of anything you do in the course of a normal day while using. Thats a fact and I know people who have kicked an opioid habit will swear to sweet jesus meth has no physical withdrawal symptoms, and I'm not trying to minimize opioid withdrawal, but anyone who has done meth daily for a period of time will for sure tell you their life came to a crashing halt when they stopped...

Stims do not cause any type of physical withdrawal, yet nicotine, a stimulant, is claimed to be physically addictive drug (nicotine)×(stimulant) what this crock.a shit ablut

Nicotine is entirely different beast compared to more traditional "speedy" stimulants. It's the most addictive substance there is, partly with how it works on your brain's reward center so subtly, and down to the sub-conscious level.

Meth doesn't really have a withdrawal syndrome, that's just called pure exhaustion. Some people find wellbutrin to be helpful in easing off of meth, and there's research on some new drug that affects glial cells, fucked if I can remember what it's called, I think I posted an article on it a year or two ago. Google might be enlightening.

At any rate, good luck! Meth basically sucks, nasty habit.

Ya your right with no withdrawal and it is an exhaustion from lack of sleep and dehydration , i have quit cold turkey a few times in my 25 years of use and it was no problem , sleep and eat always .

First week is the hardest, you'll have some fatigue for probably a month or so, after that, its just about finding something to occupy yourself with, find a hobby. And long term heavy meth usage definitely has a physical withdrawal.... nothing like heroin or benzos/alcohol, but it does happen....

^ blight you're making cpt jealous he is only possessing wax and alcohol

:(

Meth has a lot of "punishments" that IMO can be worse than mere physical dependency. Like...psychosis, agitation (psychological as well as psychomotor), anorexia, stereotypy, and more. Frankly I think I would rather kick heroin again than have psychosis.
I had my first psychosis two nights ago after not using and sleeping for 7 days and for two days it’s fucking scary.

I feel bad for the new users who don't have access to, or just aren't aware of the holy blessed benzo ✝🙏
Those early comedowns are truly nightmarish experiences that nothing really prepares you for.

I would've burst into tears of joy if someone told me back then there was a way to bypass the crash completely with a fucking pill lol.
Sadly, my first experience with benzos required a trip to urgent care with my dad during one of my noob meltdowns.
After telling the good doctor what i had done and how much sleep i'd lost, he gave me a single, tiny .05 Ativan to "help me sleep".
This doc must've gotten a Ph D in subtlties lol. The aprehensive look on his face said it all.

I could tell i had struck gold before we even left the parking lot lol 👌

Last edited:
Meth affects serotonin as well as dopamine. It has a physical withdrawal the same as any SSRI. I even had the dreaded 3 days of "brain zaps" akin to withdrawal off of an SSRI. Scientists can say whatever they like. Until they have experienced it for themselves, their conclusion that it does not cause physical withdrawal is incorrect to me.

Science contradicts itself all the time and this is something they are 100% wrong about

Meth affects serotonin as well as dopamine. It has a physical withdrawal the same as any SSRI. I even had the dreaded 3 days of "brain zaps" akin to withdrawal off of an SSRI. Scientists can say whatever they like. Until they have experienced it for themselves, their conclusion that it does not cause physical withdrawal is incorrect to me.

Science contradicts itself all the time and this is something they are 100% wrong about

What about the "individual experience varies" argument? I've never had any of those very antidepressant-specific symptoms after quitting meth. Just a day or two of hardcore rebound hunger and sleep followed by a week of blank depression. Then I'm out of the woods.

Speaking of SSRI's, I wanted to ask if you knew of any SSRIs that noticably BLOCK the effects of meth, specifically Zoloft.

I've heard prozac specifically singled out as being acutely dangerous to mix with anything because of it's unique formula, but nothing else mentioned.

I was mainly just curious about any dulled effects i might be experiencing on 50 mg (low dose), either serotonin or dopamine.

Wouldn't a drug that targets serotonin over dopamine pose a bigger risk for SS, like MDMA?

Yes, serotonin is the main culprit here.
The severity depends on what you're taking.

All SSRI's are serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Meth, cocaine and other drugs cause a temporary flood of serotonin. Because of the SSRI, the body is unable to use the excess serotonin and it overloads your body, causing toxicity.

Basically, all SSRIs will seriously dull the effects, being on a low dose may make it more likely that you can adjust your dose to achieve your high without getting SS, but I say be safe and don't mix. Find out the half life of your prescription and abstain for that period of time.

I know that all SSRI's affect serotonin, but methamphetamine is a dopamine releaser first and foremost, over serotonin, right? That's the part i'm confused about.

Anyway, that's a drag 😣 But it might explain why I have such a hard time reaching a satisfying high when I try to smoke these days. I've been on 50mg Zoloft since i relapsed last August.