• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Buprenorphine as a recreational drug?

I use opiates daily so I have a tolerance. It's not very often I take suboxone, when I do I have one 8mg sublingual, that keeps me bouncing all day and most of the next. Compared with other stuff its an expensive treat, it is one of my favorites though :) some people get nothing off it, I am one of the lucky ones who does. If you take it more than once in a while your body gets used to it ridiculously quick and the happy effects drop off fast, then you end up doing it to stay straight. BTW the wds are nasty, you have been warned.

well I might try sniffing a 2mg bump & see how it feels at that dose. i;ll wait a while (goof to know how long to waitP & take the of that tablets sublingually & another 8mh> or maybe just go through th first tablets. i dont know. i dont care if it gives me a high tolerance. i probably wont be using any opiates for a while anyway,. So i may as well have 32mg unless someone can tell me a good reason not too. like does it have a lot of side effects or something? what kind of side effects? drowsy & itchy i dont mind.
Not long ago I tried it & an ended up having 32 mag but having 4 8mg. but im beginning to think the tablets were actually 0.8mg only given me 3.2mg. I have little tolerance if any to opiates.
I could be getting some bupe today I guess I'll just take 1 every hour until im happy or until I reach 32mg. I dont know.

I merged this with the Buprenorphine as a recreational drug? Thread.

With buprenorphine, less is usually more, especially for recreational effects. Sublingual BA is approx. 30%, insufflation 50%, rectal 54%, oral 10%.

IME the best way to get consistant "recreational" effects from buprenorphine is to take dosages under 2mg. I don't really believe that the cieling effect is at 32 mg, I seem to notice that there are no increased effects after 8mg. In order to achieve a full agonist high off of subs, you really cannot take them every day though. Wait at least 3 days between dosages, and take about 1-2mg, and you will feel a nice, stimulating high that lasts a very nice ammount of time.

The most "recreational" experience I ever had was with 0.5mg rectal buprenorphine many years ago.

I get as high on subutex as i do on heroin (shoot tar in my nose). Anyways my heroin habit wasn't big but sub's definitely give you a nice opiate high. I don't understand how people can feel nothing on them, best part is they last ages as well. On 2mg atm, gonna go nod out in bed.

Yeah, you can usually only get high on buprenorphine if your tolerance is relatively low. Someone doing a bundle of decent heroin a day will only feel relief from withdrawal most likely, but someone with a moderate OC habit (60-80 mg/day) or even a light dope habit, will be able to get a very long lasting high.

Yeah I've noticed a trend of younger opiate users, usually with a small tolerance, particularly those still in highschool, are using a lot of buprenorphine.

Back in my days of HS, I remember it was all the OG OxyContin, Opana, Dillies and Heroin. I think that these kids are getting high off my generations maintenance drug.

Titus, you get as high off of your bupe dosage as you do on your heroin? How often do you take suboxone/subutex?

No way, not at all. Not even close. But I'm coming to a point in my life (I've done A LOT of a lot of different drugs) where I'm finding increased desire to feel 'normal' and less desire to get high. I want to be a functional, content, possibly even happy person and getting and staying high doesn't do that for me. With dope I can't manage to use an ammt that keeps me on an even keel without overdoing it. And I'm married and now have a new baby. So my priorities are changing.

Subutex/suboxone doesn't get me high, but that with some klonopin and I can wake up and go to work and live life and be content and happy. With dope (either with or without benzo) I bounce between doing ammt's that I feel good at, mildy high and able to maintain functioning, and getting sloppy and being not able to function. If I could plan and predict those occasions and keep them to a minimum I would prefer the dope, but I'm coming to the realization that I simply can not do that. I've never tried, but my sense is that, and from what I hear (and I sensed it before I even read it here) MORE subutex/suboxone isn't 'better'. With dope, it's either like built into the drug, or built into me, or some combo of the 2, that drives me to do more and more. It was the same with me and coke. I did ridiculous ammt's for a ridiculously long time.

I was able to turn myself from a SEVERE alcohol abuser to someone who is a light social drinker (I might get drunk 1x every 3-4 years) but typically drink 1-2 drinks less than 10 times/year. When I was 19 I would drink a pint of whiskey and a 12pack at a keg party when everyone else was sticking with the 12 beers or so. I would wind up waking in towns not knowing how I got there or where I was and this happened weekly. I drank so severely that I could only drink every other night b/c I was too sick the next day and night to drink. Through years and years of personal growth type recovery work, as well as traditional 12 step type recovery work and a period of like 8 yrs of abstinance mixed in there I was able to accomplish this. But with the coke and dope I don't think I ever would be able to do this. And my life is a lot more complex now with a lot more responsibilities so can't justify trying to figure out a way to be a functional dope head the way I would like to be one. I think bupe and klonopin is the answer for me over the short term and need other shit as well from a psychiatrist. But I have things pulling me towards drugs too so it's complicated. Very complicated. I'm burnt out. Bupe and klonopin snuffs that burnout. The remaining question is will I be able to get back to that and stay there?

I have a few questions about buprenorphine. I can get Subutex, not Suboxone but feel free to answer accordingly if it would be different with suboxone for others who might be interested
I've little experience with bupe so I'm hoping some long-term users can help me out.

The active metabolite of bupe called norpube is apparently more recreational than bupe itself. Problem is bupe saturates ya opiate receptors including the effects of norbupe at around 2mg.
So, Im wondering if it would be more recreational to take 1.5mg-2mg when the norbupe is still active or if it would be more recreational to take higher doses which are 2mg-32mg (the ceiling dose according to wikipedia)?
I've been told the side effects also increase with the dose so I suppose that has to be considered. Ive only really noticed minimal side effects from taking large doses of bupe though but if there is no little difference in effect from 16mg-32mg it would be better to take 16mg to reduce side effects.

If 2mg of bupe is more recreational than taking say 16mg of bupe than how long after taking your last dose of bupe would the saturation of ya opiate receptors reduce enough to get any euphoria from just 2mg?

I know the onset of sublingual use 1/2hr-1hr with peak lasting 1-4hrs but what about if u snort it?

Ive read varying opinions on the BA of sublingual vs snorting. some say it's 1/3 sublingual & 2/3 snorting. others say theres only a 20% increase in effect when snorting. Does anyone have any more accurate figures?

If anyone could answer any of these questions that would be appreciated.
this thread may belong in ADD Im not sure...
Sorry to bump my old post but cold someone at least tell me which has the STRONGEST effects of bupe, 2mg, or 32mg?
I'm sure someone out there has tired a very small dose of buoe (<2mg) & also a high dose of bupe (2mg-32mg) Im going to assume 32mg is stronger than 2mg. but if uve read what I've quoted u'll understand why Im confused. I'll try to google it maybe

EDIT: I foind this post by Effie
I know, I just meant that if you were debating with someone it might come across aggressive so I'd try to avoid it generally

No you misunderstood me, sorry - norbuprenorphine is a metabolite. Buprenorphine is broken down in the liver by various enzymes, and forms norbuprenorphine.

In doses of 2mg or less of buprenorphine, the norbuprenorphine that is formed in the liver attaches to receptors in the brain along with the buprenorphine, and both play a role in the opioid effects that are experienced.

In doses of greater than 2mg, the buprenorphine overpowers the norbuprenorphine and doesn't allow it to attach to the receptors in the brain, so it is only the buprenorphine contributing to the experience.

As norbuprenorphine is a full agonist, doses of 2mg or less have some full agonist action, where as at over 2mgs we only get partial agonism.

Not everything can be answered with a simple yes or no, anon, and bupe is especially complicated. Yes 32mgs is a stronger dose and would produce more pain relief. It might be more recreational in a lot of people, but others might get better effects by dosing at <2mg as some people don't find buprenorphine recreaional, where as they might enjoy norburenorphine.

32mg is a high dose and would be dangerous for a lot of people. No one should need 32mg for recreation. If your tolerance is that high, then you're unlikely to find bupe recreational at all. If your tolerance isn't that high but you've increased the dose anyway as you weren't finding it recreational at lower doses, then you are probably one of the people who won't find it recreational at any dose.

I don't understand what you mean by the best time span for re-dosing. If you take the right dose, you don't need to redose all day. If you're trying to determine your dose then I would say wait at least 2 hours as bupe takes a long time to reach it's peak as I said in my last post.[
So I guess Ive found the answer to my first question. some ppl find the weaker full agonist norbupe more recreational & some find the stronger bupe more recreational.
that's pretty interesting.If I get it again I'll try 2mg first but jsut wondering how long it takes to peak after snorting so i know whether its any good or not before taking my usual higher dose

Last edited:
From what I understand, it is not exactly a sure fact that norbuprenorphine is even the reason why low dosages of buprenorphine give people on maintenance a more full agonist type buzz. It could also be explained purely that buprenorphine has more extreme spikes in the blood levels at low dosages, as it is leaving your system faster, once it is under a dosage that saturates your opiate receptors.

However, I do not think that taking more than 16mg a day will increase effects, as after twelve days on that dosage, the total ammount of bupe that is in your system from the built up half life, is fourty milligrams (already above the supposed "32mg cieling dose"). Pretty much everyone finds subs at low dosages to release more euphoric properties, than when taken at high dosages.

does the BA of subutex taking sublingually get accounted for with the celing dose?

according to wiki the BA of bupe is 35-40% (sublingual, high-dose tablet)

I dont feel like doing maths right now so lets just assume it's 50%
would that mean u would have to take 64mg to get the ceiling dose (32mg)

Basically when they worked it out did they mean the ceiling dose is 32mg that actually gets into ya blood or as in 32mg worth of tablets taken sublingually?

Why would you want to take that much bupe? From what I understand less is more with it.

cool. Im still good at maths. I worked it out the dose to achieve the ceiling dose taken sublingually to be 80mg-91.5mg
what do u mean? less it more. Im quite new to bupe. what would be the best dose & why?

I get what u mean u dont wanna get ya opiate receptors saturated so u can still get a good effect ya next dose. but I mean if it was for ya first dose or if yav taken a dose that isnt good enough & u dont care about whether ya opiate receptors get saturated.

im talking about if u were taking it a one off recreationally. & u were used to taking high doses of other strong opiates.
if ya on a maintenance program ya dont wanna saturate ya opiate receptors but if ya wanna get high the more u take the stronger it is, right?

taking a larger dose will get be stronger but it will saturate ya opiate receptors more so u have to wait longer to dose again....

i dunno. ive been taking it the last few days. but ive been using it to try to relax. im used to doing oxy. ive been getting close to no effects from the bupe. well i did get slightly relaxed.
what dose SHOULD I be taking to have the best effects?

ive been doing a bit of reading on bupe & this dosing thing is STILL confusing me

ok ive done a bit of reading & bupe tarts to block the reacreational norbupe at 2mg right?
so 1.5mg would be the most recreational dose?
or is there a dose where the bupe starts to get more recreational than the norbupe?
i dont care if my receptors get saturated cuz im not taking it every day & probably wont take any more opiates for another few weeks. so i can take any dose i want.

now what i dont understand is why they have 8mg pills. if 2mg has a better effect. i might understand. does saturating the opiate receptors HELP w/d?

no that's not right either it puts ya into participated w/d... can someone please explain how the dosing works.

Last edited:
Bupe isn't really recreational. But the best you're gunna feel is at a 1-2mg dose. But as I said. It isn't meant to get you high.

I read a few reports on erowid of ppl getting recreational effects...
if the best ya gunna feel is at 1-2mg im assuming ya mean that's the strongest of its effects?
why do they have 8mg tablets is 1-2mg is the strongest?

quoted from wikipedia
Buprenorphine is also used recreationally, typically by opioid users, often by insufflation. Recreational users of Suboxone who crush the tablet and snort it report a euphoric rush similar to other opioids in addition to a slight "upper"-like effect. Those already using buprenorphine/Suboxone for opioid addiction therapy find that insufflation is only slightly, if any stronger than taking the pill sublingually, although it may have a quicker onset. Those taking it for addiction therapy also report that obtaining euphoria is virtually impossible after the first few doses. Many recreational users also report withdrawal symptoms. Due to the high potency of tablet forms of buprenorphine, only a small amount of the drug need be ingested to achieve the desired effects.
so the first few doses ya can get an effect from i guess untill it saturates ya receptors?
I'll do some reading on google on how bupe works
i did get some relaxation from bupe though it was kinda sedating. I liked it.
more from wiki
Even a partial agonist at the µ-opioid receptor (like buprenophine) releases serotonin and dopamine in the CNS, but to a lesser degree than full agonists do. This slight release of serotonin and dopamine may contribute to the anti-depressant properties of buprenorphine, especially those with a pre-existing mental disorder.

so should i just throw these pills away because im not addicted to opiates?
io dont think so im sure they made me a little relaxed for 1/2hr

I'll go do some reading now on why it helps with w/d.

i sorta get it. if a normal person takes an antipyshotic it makes them feel like shit. but if someone with an inbalance of dopamine takes it, than it makes them feel normal?

if someone who doesnt take opaites takes 1-2mg than its kinda recreational but if they take more it doesnt do anything where to someone quitting opiates it corrects an inbalance?

well i should have googles it in the first place.
http://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=8
Opioids attach to receptors in the brain, with three main effects; reduced respiration, euphoria, decreased pain. The more opioids ingested the more of an effect. The process of opioids binding to the opioid receptors can be thought of as a mechanical union, the better the fit the more the opioid effect. Buprenorphine is different. It too binds to the receptors, however, without a perfect fit. As a result the Buprenorphine tends to occupy the receptors without all of the opioid effects. The receptor is tricked into thinking it has been satisfied with opioids without producing strong feelings of euphoria, and without causing significant respiratory depression. This, in turn, prevents that receptor from joining with full opioids; therefore if the patient uses heroin or painkillers, they are unlikely to experience additional effect. Buprenorphine tends to stay with the receptors, blocking them, much longer then opioids do. This stickiness, is what makes Buprenorphine last so long, up to 3 days.

I'll look up norbupe now cuz apparently that's slightly recreational. but ive fucked it up for myself now as my receptors will be to saturated for me to take 1-2mg.
how many days should a wait to try 1-2mg?
geez its gunna be hard breaking up a 8mg pill. if u take 1-2mg how long does it saturate ya receptors. could i take that dose every day and get a weak opiate effect?
how much codeine would taking 1-2mg of bupe be equal too recreationall?
wouild it be as good as 200mg?
im not talking about affinity. im talking about recreationally cuz i looked at the opiate conversion & according to that id be high as a kite.

Last edited:
They do 8mg to help addicts. They don't get you high. Any bupe user will tell you less is more with them. You can't compare it to codeine because it is NOT A RECREATIONAL OPIATE. I would reccomend waiting for some replies from some bupe users before taking anything.

Like I said, I think you should wait until someone who has actually used bupe can reply to this before taking anything. And the fact that it says recreation in SOME PEOPLE should tip you off.

no offence but arnt u taking the HR a little to far. ive swallowed drugs made in backyard laboratories with unknown doses of substances i assume are the drugs i asked for cut with who knows what. but i cant hold a quarter of a pharmaceutical pill under my tongue...
ehh i dunno. u'r the one with the experience i guess

32mg is the highest dose used, and that is taken SL, so I suppose the actual clinical ceiling dose is 32 x .35 (for 35% BA). So something like 12mg.

One thing to note with bupe is that the ceiling analgesic dose is around 3 mg, and most people are able to taper down to that point easily, or even start maintenance there. it is chronically over-prescribed in terms of dose and necessity.

Please don't ever shoot suboxone - it has pharmaceutical grade flavoring in it, which is sticky, sweet sugar, and because sugars are water soluble, it will pass through any filter, including. Microns. Bacteria love sugar, as evidenced by the large numbers of suboxone injecting addicts with abcesses caused by shooting subs.