• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Big and Dandy Loperamide Adddiction Thread

I've now taperd down from 120mg×2 a day lope to 70mg×2 a day. Im not feeling the greatest but im determined to keep going. Ive also stoped taking cimitedine with it but im still taking it with white grapefruit.

Irishgypsy are you still doing ok with your taper? I am now down to 16mg every day but using with kratom, and my kratom will run out this Friday. I ran out of my 5mg hydros on Sunday evening so now just using lope and kratom 3-4 grams every 4 or so hours.

Yes, im still tapering. Im trying to go faster than I probably should though because im so sick of it. Im now down to 60mg× 2 a day. Im not feeling the greatest but im pushing through. Ive never used kratom but ive always wondered how well it works. Im not even sure where to get it locally. I hope you are doing well and would hope you continue to post your progress.

Im now down to 60mg just once a day instead of twice. Im not sleeping at all though. It hits
Hardest at night, with the body achs. Im so sick of all this. I was counting down the hours last night and I ended up taking them an hour earlier. Im going to try taking them in the evenings and see if it helps. Im determined but its getting harder. Id love to see more updates from everyone else.

keep it up..you got it in you to do this..

i just started a journal myself here detailing home heroin detox with lope and gaba, so im here with you

kep trucking...

keep it up..you got it in you to do this..
i just started a journal myself here detailing home heroin detox with lope and gaba, so im here with you

kep trucking...
Thank you so much. Ive had to separate myself from all my old friends because they are still doing the stuff that got me here in the first place, and my family gave up on me years ago,which I cant blam them...lol. its nice to come on here and get support. I hope you keep posting your progress. Im here also if you need to talk. Your welcome to pm me as well. :)

I stopped taking loperamide today. I was only on 6mg per day but after yearsof opioid dependence the wds are still pretty bad. The only reason I'm able to cope is because I got ahold of 8 .25 mg xanax. Im taking these twice per day for 4 days and hopefully I can tough out the rest

I was on Adderall for a very brief period. If anything, the side effects of Adderall made me use more loperamide to counteract them.

I started at about 40 pills 3 years ago. 200 is where I ended up. I didn't need to increase the dose, but I did anyway because I'm an addict and that's just what we do. When I started increasing the dose, I couldn't go back down without losing some of the relief it gave me. 200 is just where I happened to be when I came to the conclusion that I had to stop.

The muscle weakening is scary as shit. I've almost choked on food too many times. I also got extremely lightheaded when having to even mildly expend energy. Going up the stairs to my bedroom would cause me to faint because going up stairs was too much work for my body to handle. I fainted getting out of my car once. If it had happened a minute sooner, I'd have killed myself or someone else. Even pushing a cart of groceries out to my car caused me to faint. I fell and smacked my head against this guys bumper. He was nice enough to help me up and walk to my car. I shouldn't have drove home though.

Another thing it messed with was my vision. My eyes were OK when looking straight ahead, but if I tried to move my eyes to the side to look at something, I didn't have the strength to hold them there. They'd start shaking and return to center. To look to the side, I'd have to turn my head.

Breathing was always way too shallow, and it was impossible to take a deep breath. Shortness of breath probably contributed to my constant feeling of faintness. I also got a really severe chest pain from time to time, sort of like something was stuck in my throat near my heart and lungs. It was very painful, and often times pretty damn scary.

All this mostly occurred with 144 pills or more. When I was at the stage where I was using 100 or less, I never experienced any of these side effects. I can't comment on doses between 100 and 144 because I never took any in that range, but I assume from the severity of the symptoms at above 144 that they would be there with lower doses, but maybe not as severe.

If a Mod could be kind enough to merge my previous posts, I'd be forever grateful. I'm posting from my phones browser on the mobile version of the site, and the logistics of editing and merging them all myself is complicated. There may be an easier way to do it on this new version of VB, but I'm not familiar with it, and I apologize if it is there and I'm not seeing it.

Yes, it does block loperamide, and the reverse - Suboxone precipitating withdrawals from loperamide - is true too.

As for it crossing the BBB, people misunderstand this, thinking it doesn't cross AT ALL. It does, but in very small amounts, which was why it wasn't adopted as an alternative to methadone, which was the hope when it was created (the more you take, the more that gets through, but if I remember correctly, there's a ceiling on the amount that can get through, but don't quote me on that part; and various sources of information on loperamide that I have read in the past put its potency on par with fentanyl, active in microgram doses, so even if just a tiny amount got through, that would theoretically be enough), but you also have peripheral receptors in your intestines where it isn't inhibited by the BBB. I suspect this is why there really isn't a traditional "high" from loperamide, but it is sufficient enough to ease withdrawals. You are certainly correct that placebo would definitely not completely negate withdrawal symptoms. It's simply not that powerful of an effect.

Edits - correcting my autocorrect

I could have posted this very post and it would apply to my life, verbatim. Insane.

I have been basically clean for a couple of years now and even now in my extremely opiate non-tolerant state (the opposite of what it was some time ago) I get zero effects from loperamide... I have experimented with it extensively.

Loperamide is an opiate, but it is not known to cross the blood brain barrier. If you are getting high off of it then you should be studied extensively by modern science... as you appear to have blood on the brain.

And before anyone says "but I hear people say that all the time".... yes I am aware of this... but I have to write it off as a placebo effect at best... unless I am missing something

Just because you didn't have any success with it doesn't mean no one else did. It DOES cross the BBB, but in very small amounts. Any journal article that talks about loperamide says most of it is inhibited from crossing, due to PGP pumps pushing it back out. Some does though. And there are peripheral receptors in the intestines, which are not inhibited by the BBB. If you're taking 10, 12, even 30 or 40 pills, it's probably only active in the peripheral receptors. But take 150 or 200 (actually, don't). There is definite CNS depression. It makes me extremely tired and makes breathing dangerously shallow. My pupils would become constricted as well, and there was a faint "warmth" that's associated with opiates, but like I said, it wasn't really pleasurable. The muscle weakness, disgusting dry mouth, vision problems, and faintness are not worth whatever "high" that's supposed to be.

The "high" from loperamide is not a traditional high by any means. It's awkward, sometimes dysphoric, and overall very unpleasant. But it's not placebo. It pisses me off to no end when someone tells me that I took loperamide for 3 years and had no withdrawals from my 9 year heroin habit because of placebo. That's bullshit. There's no way in hell it was placebo. There's no way in hell the withdrawals I experienced, all the way down to almost dying from heart failure in rehab, were all in my head. I am not someone who is inexperienced in these things either. I know CNS activity, addiction, and withdrawal when I see it.

I'm just wondering how the lope tapers are going? Would also like to thank those of you who posted about your withdrawls from lope and the situaion you now find yourself in after using lope, for wd, maintenance, or attempts to get high. I just started using lope for wd from percocet and methadone. I can tell you that yours stories have encouraged me to quiclkly taper the lope. I started with 48mg on day 1, then 40mg day 2, and today I took 32mg. I am 2 days backed up so it looks like a miralax is in my future today. I am also taking dxm, which is known to reduce tollerance, and gabapentin (Neurontin), which helps the wd symptoms as well. So far this has been amazinly easy. I hope it stays easy and in a few more days I can jump off the lope without any problems. I'll never be completely free from opiates due to chronic pain, but its nice to find that lope will work to get me through, or like now with a quick taper, its allowing me to reduce my tollerance quickly and comfortably. I plan to continue to take the lope for just a few more days while I taper it down. Dont get me wrong, I am hurting prety bad and am achey like I have a low fever, but I can deal with that for a bit. Good luck to all of you, and keep posting, its great to follow others experiences with lope.

Former Opiate User

Hello Teo, I have been reading all the posts and replies. I can relate and will be 100% real with you. Although I have a legit injury, it doesn't matter why or what opiates you take. It matters if you truly WANT to stop. I am not going to preach to you as you sound like an educated person and have realized that you NEED to stop.

My Situation:
I have been on oxy, subox, and hydrocodone. Suboxone is worse then doing the opiates themselves as the w/d from this is even worse than w/d from a 15 - 30mg roxy habit. Like yourself, I also had an endless supply or access to it. I have been to rehabs, admitted, etc...I have 4 children and a lovely wife who has put up with all this bullshit.
I have a post grad education and I am a professional. My injury was sports related in my undergrad, however I continued to use these opiates for so much longer after truly needing them.

I can tell you that its a tough road. However, you can mentally prepare yourself for complete w/d. I can go on about my situation, however I think you get the point.

Here is what I did the last time and some kind advice

1. I don't care what you hear or read about Kratom. But it works. Although it is a MU receptor natural drug, its not a pharmed complex. I took about 2 -50x concentrated Maeng Da "00" pills per day and 8-9 "00" 600mg Maeng Da capsules throughout the day. I used <snip> for my sources. This stuff works. I felt almost zero w/d symptoms. If you can afford the habit you had, you can certainly afford these, buying them even at head shops. It took away 99% of my w/d. It also kept me in a nice mood to be able to deal with life. As I said previous, I have a professional career and a large family. I just couldn't be in bed and suffering PAWS around my children and wife for the 3rd time.
2. I took 5-10 Anti-Diarrhea pills per day.
3. I have mentally prepared myself for what could lie ahead. You should as well. Be a warrior. Be ready to feel a possible sickness. Although I am VERY confident if you follow my kratom/anti-diarrhea pill method, you will have success.
4. Get busy. Stay Busy. The more you are not thinking about drugs and when to take your next pills will make you that much more successful. A hobby, do some work around the house, take 15 showers, masturbate all day long...play video games.
5. Just know you can survive and have a life of fun and happiness without opiates. I can totally relate to wanting to feel that high, play some games and be social, but I can tell you living without the haze of the opiates is so much better. Although at first, you may have some depression and might not feel as this to the case.
6. Excercise and sweat as much as you can. This might be difficult at first, but start slow. Walk, then jog, then run.
7. You should do this regimen for no more than 3 weeks.
8. Get new friends. Ones that do not enable you. I have both still in my life. Normal wives with kids, buddies, etc...Then I have the friends who cannot seem to hang with me unless we are doing something. I am hanging out less and less with these folks. Having positive people around will bring positive effects on your personal life.

Reach out to me if you need any support and have questions. You can do this.

Bless,
TG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much. Ive had to separate myself from all my old friends because they are still doing the stuff that got me here in the first place, and my family gave up on me years ago,which I cant blam them...lol. its nice to come on here and get support. I hope you keep posting your progress. Im here also if you need to talk. Your welcome to pm me as well. :)

how have you been making out? i got slammed with work and needles to say went back to H n maitance ( no bs ) shots 2 bags 3xday to feel normal....

i have been though waking up ppping 2 bags and takin tagamtent and quinne the hr latre lope the wait till midnight that night from lik 6am to see how i am holding..im really just to scared to go all lope plus 3 bundles laying around dont help...

so i am trying to see if 40-50mg of lope can hold me 18hrs or so decent so i have an idea of a taper...

how is your story progessing mate??

Sorry to hear about your set back, but dont give up. I've also had a set back, but Im trying agian.I won't get into the details,(its embarrassing) but Im back to 60mg x2 a days and Im going to keep tapering. I hope you are doing ok, and thanks for posting, :)

I'm just chiming in to join the set back train. It happens. Life wouldn't be life without set backs. I was doing well, ready to jump off the lope and fell into an opportunity to obtain 10 oxycontin 60mg for next to nothing. While my intentions were to stash them for horendous days of pain, I ended up taking them all over the course of 4 days. Oops! They were too convenient trying to get through Christmas with a 2 year old. So I ended up worse off than when I started, and 48mg of lope wouldnt do. 70mg total on day 1, then 48, 42, 36, 34, and tonight I will take 30mg. Just picked up another bottle of dxm, which I take at therapeutic doses to help with tollerance. Today is the first time adding dxm this time around and I can say that it helps alot with the all over achey feeling. I do feel better today than the last 4, although a bit nauseous today. Set backs happen. What matters is that we overcome them and continue to fight another day.

I've been in the ICU for 11 days from the combination of loperamide and cimetadine. The muscle weakness you guys describe, is your heart giving out. I went into ventricular tachycardia and am extremely lucky to be alive. The cimetadine elongated the half life, so if you think your taking 150mg a day, your accumulating 25% per day. My blood levels were in the multigram range, and this prolongs your QTc interval of your heart. If you want to live, stop taking them now, go to the ER and get a EKG. I shouldn't be alive

I am able to speak from experience that if you have at least Desoxyn(pharmaceutical grade methamphetamine hcl) that is helps FUCKING wonders for WD.. Now I don't condone what I did for anyone else, but staying up for 2 days at at time with some solid sleep in-between and doing it again, staying up for 2 days at a day completely got me through WD's... I didn't exactly need to take 20mg of lope today but I passed my bowel movement and I want to feel fantastic today, not a slightest feeling of WD.... Stay Safe, stay informed.. Please ask questions if you have them, I did not give you a full debrief of my experiences..

STAY SAFE, STAY INFORMED.

I've been in the ICU for 11 days from the combination of loperamide and cimetadine. The muscle weakness you guys describe, is your heart giving out. I went into ventricular tachycardia and am extremely lucky to be alive. The cimetadine elongated the half life, so if you think your taking 150mg a day, your accumulating 25% per day. My blood levels were in the multigram range, and this prolongs your QTc interval of your heart. If you want to live, stop taking them now, go to the ER and get a EKG. I shouldn't be alive

Wow. I dont even know what to say other than to thank you for posting your experience and I am so glad to hear that you are still with us. I would like to know a bit more of your story though. How long were you taking lope and at what doses? Was this to aid in opiate wd or were you taking it to get high? Did you take the cimetidine every day with the lope? The most I have taken was 70mg and I immediately taper my dose every day until I can jump off without any wd. The only time I felt the extreme muscle weakness and extreme lethargy was after my 70mg dose. The next day was 60, then 48, 40, 32, and so on. I never felt anything but releif from wd on the subsequent doses. It really helps and with the taper it gets my tolly down and I can function just fine. Please eloborate on your experience. The bad side of lope definitely needs to be talked about more.

This is absolutely correct, and has always been my hypothesis. Thanks for the anectode. It only occurs at about 200mg or more; anything less and this cardiovascular bearing is not present, in my experience. Still, getting off of loperamide is the only healthy option... a hurdle I am facing with dread.

This is crazy to hear so many peeps on here stuck on loperamide. I'm actually getting on suboxone so I can get off lope, this sounds backwards I know, but after hearing of these health issues from chronic lope use, in combination with my continued propensity to use full-agonist opiates on occasion, suboxone seems the most logical decision right now. I got my appointment to get my sub script, just have to hold out until then with my daily dose of 24mg of lope/day.