• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Esoteric [Bad Trip Subthread] How Do You Define "Bad Trip"?

Great post and you said... this...-->I basically consider a bad trip when I cannot get my thoughts back on positive and everything seems to take a negative feel to it.

That sounds more like the aftermath of heavy use.
I for one have never seen anything negative but I know more about some things then others...Oxymoron, for sure.. hint,, hint..... choose your suppliers or learn the kraft of making it... So simple!

I'll tell you what I consider a bad trip. LSD. That's a bad trip.

Every single time I've dropped acid, I've become the person I never wanted to be. A terrified, anxious, and confused little coward. People say you become very creative whilst tripping. I lose all sense of creativity.
But I kept taking it anyways because everyone kept telling me I'd be alright, and it was "chill", and then they always asked me why I wasn't laughing whenever I was back in anxiety mode. Then again all my friends were punk-ass fucking ravers who were only in it for the drugs, I shouldn't have expected them to understand.
Haven't had a single positive experience. I've had some excellent hallucinations, but it would always end up with me thinking that if I keep tripping out on something someone's going to know I'm tripping and then I end up tripping on the idea that I'll be tripping on a cop. And my friends never helped. My friends always act like they know how to keep their cool, but in my mind I look at them and they're just as obvious as I am, which probably means not obvious at all, but I don't know that.

These were my conclusions after every acid trip I've had.

1- Parties are bad, all parties, bad
2- Going to LA (my favorite place to go) WILL kill you
3- My two best friends are wimps
4- I've made the wrong friends, the worst friends any decent human being could ever ask for
5- If I try to make friends with people who like drugs as much as I do, I'll be repeating #4

Basically what I'm trying to say is that I'm fucking jealous that you guys can have so much fun with LSD. But, then again, all of my experiences were in public, sadly I don't have any private place to trip. I think I'm gonna hold off on acid until I have my own place, but I think by then I'll have no friends who do drugs, and if I do, they'll probably be the ones driving me off the deep end.

I remember back when I thought I could handle bad trips because I could handle scary hallucinations. Nobody ever told me that psychedelics manipulate the hell out of your conscience. But mushrooms sure did take me by surprise. The whole thing was just happy happy, suspension of disbelief, positive outlook, worry-free, controllable, understandable, and ended with "holy shit every single thing we do in this life is based around ONE universe! i have something in common with EVERY SINGLE THING EVER!! WTF!!"

this was Disneyland. now my favorite theme park ever, can't wait to go back.

hmm, I seem to have gone way off subject, but that always seems to be my intention.

I don't have bad DXM trips. I mean, I've had very spoiled robo-trips, very frustrating interferences, but I always feel like I'm in my rightful place whenever DXM is in my system, like it was meant for me. They always start with me thinking I'm gonna die and end with me realizing that I spent the last six hours as if they were the last hours I had left on the planet, and I'm not dead. That's probably the most refreshing feeling ever. But one thing I know that definitely destroys the trip, is when you split up. God that's the worst feeling in the world. Probably for most other trips actually, but not when your bad trip is the result of the person you're tripping with. Ditching them is like the sun brightly dawning on your future. My post is huge, I have nothing more to say, so I will stop now.

Walking home to find my grandmother looking like complete death and the image and thought of it not escaping my head for an hour or so... That is the only 'bad' experience I have had so far. The rest of that trip was nice...

I've had a couple of bad trips the worst would have to be when i experienced 2c-e in its full form. I was running away from people in the street i thought were following me, rocking back and forth in my room terrified people would come to take me away and generally hating myself. this one turned out to be an incredible trip since afterwards i stopped drinking, taking drugs and i was vegetarian for 6 months. however i have always had bad aspects of trips. i call it going into the depths where you introspect a lot, CEVs turn into skulls and maggots nd shit, but they are usually complimented by rainbows and stars, wierd spirals and purple visuals. my only advise to stop going into the depths is to actually accept the darkness and look for whatever is freaking you out. just push into the fray and you should be fine in minutes. its always worked with me. just get into the darkness and love it, its hard but you come out the otherside well and free, usually feeling much better than before :) hope this helps

I don't think its actually a "bad trip" unless you end up hospitalized, get arrested or have some kind of psychotic break. Other than that, all trips are learning experiences...

I've had two trips like that, one in which I cut myself- was taken to hospital.

The other one was early last year, I utterly wigged out in the CBD in Melbourne, disrobing, fighting police, screaming about god and hell (I think)- was in hospital for a day, then back after having a bad reaction to seroquel; then to front the courts, leaving me wth assault charges and a suspnded sentence.

For what its worth, the second "bad" trip didn't feel that bad- I was just totally manic and dissociated from myself, that it had a euphoric feel to it.

The worst trip I have seen was a friend on datura and DiPT; seizures and the eyes of death. He went to hospital....After that, he still takes datura :|

I'm actually not sure, I think i've only ever had one bad trip, which was on mushrooms two years ago. It was just me and a friend and somewhere in the middle of the peak my friend passed out while making a chocking gurgling sound with her eyes rolled back twitching her arm. Well, looking at that in the middle of the peak of my own trip caused me to freak out and scream for help; and help came, after that it only got worse. My friend woke up soon and was very overheated for a while but we gave her water and after 30 minutes she was fine, only crying from being scared by the experience herself. There were from that point on also other people present and the worst was where I felt like I wasn't allowed to enjoy any part of the experience anymore (people frowned upon me pointing out beautiful visuals, and thats really the thing I do in trips); so for 4 hours I sat there focussing on feeling sober trying to ignore some really beautiful visuals.

One thing I know for sure, if it ever happens again I try to fix the person up myself fírst and as soon as things are fine I'll distract myself with music / fun instead of sitting on the ground for 4 hours affraid to enjoy it again.

Not exactely a horror bad trip, but still by far the least pleasant trip I've ever had. Mushrooms have had dark edges on more occasions but not quite like this; always very managable and part of the fun too.

when your friends face begins to mutate in a scary way... ..
and then you convince yourself that you're gonna see shit like that forever, and that you're officially insane.
(2nd shroom trip)

I would consider an anxiety ridden trip bad as it is am unpleasant feeling.

Last edited:
out of the many times i've chosen to trip i've only had one 'bad trip'. i ate waaaaaaay too many really potent mushrooms at a music fest/campground. i slowly started to get very very nauseous, then i puked on and off for about 2 hours, then non stop dry heaved for the next 4.. so about 6 hours of vomiting as hard as humanly possible while curled up in the back seat of my car in basically a catatonic state tripping face in an uncontrollable state literally having the most vivid out of body hallucinations then puking myself back to reality for hours. oh my god it was the worst experience ever. or there was the time i did a huge rail of what i thought was cocaine, but ended up being ketamine.... i had never seen ketamine before, or even knew wtf its effects really were. so needless to say, what i ingested was waaaay too much and im in what i guess is called the 'k-hole'... terrible. vomiting non stop, no idea where i am (my bedroom) or if im even alive. unbelievably frightening. terrible trip but a wholly unexpected one.

Last edited:
i simply disagree with modern "philosophy" in general. our over dramatized culture has its roots in a very draconian moral structure, as though everything is either ultimately evil or good.

in this, there is no is good or no is bad, no evil or good. there is no ego. therefore, the trip simply is.

it is a learning experience. there is no "bad" learning experience, every learning experience is what you needed at that time.

and it was my experiences on psychedelic drugs which blessed me with this tiny piece of enlightenment. i once thought it was all about me, my ego, and something being enjoyable for myself or not. the moment you let go of that need for sating some drive or desire, or all desires, and shed the ego as well, you can truly experience infinity with these catalysts.

as soon as you recognize things as "good or bad," you shut the door on how high you can take yourself with psychedelics.

when i was on acid and the people i was with seemed like they were trying to fight me , but really subtly ? i think it brought some psychosis back ... during the trip , been kinda paranoid recently now that i think about it . but yeah everything just seemed negative , but then when i was alone immediately i got back on track , so i guess i have never actually had a bad trip , only scary moments in trips that always get better .

Only bad trip I've had was in a horrible setting. It was physically, not mentally. I was on DXM and it was about 100 degrees outside and my air conditioner kept failing.. I still had somewhat a clear enough mind to understand what was happening to my body, and thankfully someone was with me. It wasn't very devestating but it was extremely uncomfortable and scared me a little. Good thing I experienced that at that time so I don't make the mistake again. I felt my whole body sweating, hot and cold waves, heart pounding, palpitations etc.. Wasn't very fun at all :/ but a great learning experience!

Abject terror for objective hours (that feel whoever knows how long subjectively). However, you will probably learn more from these experiences than 'good trips'.

ebola

Mostly I consider bad trips those that are ruined by a horrible bodyload. 5-MeO-MiPT could maybe be an interesting compound for me but it's completely overshadowed by vomiting (and generally an intense nausea) and having tremors 6 hours non-stop. Also trips that are so confusing you can't integrate anything from it are quite bad. These I've mostly had with combining tryptamines with MXE.

Feeling fear is in no way automatically a bad thing on a trip, I've learnt some things about fear which have been useful. It's not fun, but definitely not "bad". Sheer and utter terror/panic is quite bad, because those feelings are also very confusing.

being in hospital arguing with the doctor that it was not speed i had taken but a blotter with what i believed at the time to lsd as i now know could of been some rc instead while having what the called a cardiac episode thinking i had died saw my long dead gran walking down the hallway my mum n dad where demons plus the total rambling incoherent drunk in the next cubical at the time i could swore it was me as if my dying corpse was in there and my soul was in the one i was in .
then they wanted to give me water with activated charcoal to absorb what was in my blood quicker but i was convinced they just wanted to turn my blood to dust . all in all a very interesting 12 hours or so but that's what happens to 17 year old kids who drop acid at least one a week be warned it may sound funny when you read it but it sure as hell wasn't .

I once had a full blown paranoia attack, after a bunch of drunk people kept touching me while I was on a heap of acid. I was asking people to help and tell them to stop being pricks and chill out, everyone was too wasted, so I stupidly ran to the street alone.

Yeah being alone in the street thinking people are going to kill you, and being physically attacked by trees and grass made for not a very fun night, but you certainly learn a lot about yourself.

I look back on it now, and don't even consider my most intensely negative trip, although definitely the scariest.
LSD has evolved into often a very emotional experience for me now so, since then I've had some very difficult thoughts to ponder rather than terrifying visuals. That can be much more impactful, you see some crazy shit you wake up the next day and move on.

i know just what you mean iv run down the street screaming for help think i was going to die . i had a couple of episodes in the weeks up to being hospitalised i just simply burned out if i wasnt on acid i was speeding or drunk or at the time i would go through up to six cans of butane gas a night so in the end i had a full blow physical and mental break down on lsd not a good thing to go through but it sure changed my out look on the world

I used to think the best lessons came from the bad trips, until the mushroom / sirian rue combo twisted me into knots and wrung my soul out like a wet rag, convulsions, vomiting, feeling like your elbows knees and wrist joints are being torn apart, having full poltergeist type activity banging and shaking the bed, begging pleading crying whimpering, nothing good about that trip and nothing good was learnt from it apart from a deeper respect for mushrooms and a hope to fuck a trip never turns in that direction again.

It didn't dampen my enthusiasm though :) just made me do a few more diligent set and setting rituals and rules and pay attention to diet in the run up to the experience.