• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Esoteric [Bad Trip Subthread] How Do You Define "Bad Trip"?

I used to think the best lessons came from the bad trips, until the mushroom / sirian rue combo twisted me into knots and wrung my soul out like a wet rag, convulsions, vomiting, feeling like your elbows knees and wrist joints are being torn apart, having full poltergeist type activity banging and shaking the bed, begging pleading crying whimpering, nothing good about that trip and nothing good was learnt from it apart from a deeper respect for mushrooms and a hope to fuck a trip never turns in that direction again.

It didn't dampen my enthusiasm though :) just made me do a few more diligent set and setting rituals and rules and pay attention to diet in the run up to the experience.

Holy fuck man you got some demon mushrooms, that's insane. Mushrooms have always given me a good shock at high doses, they're really unpredictable.

first thing i lost it on was shrooms but the arse hole who gave me them gave me stupid dose on just so he could screw me up . it took a good six months to come back round to reality as to where i knew i was really back here on earth sick bastards did a real job on my head that night just for fun

i simply disagree with modern "philosophy" in general. our over dramatized culture has its roots in a very draconian moral structure, as though everything is either ultimately evil or good.

in this, there is no is good or no is bad, no evil or good. there is no ego. therefore, the trip simply is.

it is a learning experience. there is no "bad" learning experience, every learning experience is what you needed at that time.

and it was my experiences on psychedelic drugs which blessed me with this tiny piece of enlightenment. i once thought it was all about me, my ego, and something being enjoyable for myself or not. the moment you let go of that need for sating some drive or desire, or all desires, and shed the ego as well, you can truly experience infinity with these catalysts.

as soon as you recognize things as "good or bad," you shut the door on how high you can take yourself with psychedelics.

So if someone mugs you its just a learning experiance

The first and only time I broke through on Salvia was my only terror trip to date.
It was about five or so years ago, I loaded a pipe to the brim with the 20x extract and smoked it all in three hits.

The very second I let out that third hit, I lost all sense of self. I had no idea where I was, what I was, or how I got there. The sensations I felt can only be described as feeling as through I was pages in a book being flipped through very fast and being torn to shreds. It was painful, but this was secondary to the state reality was it. I saw reality split into BILLIONS of fragments moving at incredible speeds, all points in time at that place existing at once. I felt that I most certainly had died, or had I been dead? I didn't know. I began to regain mobility in my body and quickly feel to my side. The trees limbs grew sinister and long. I began to try and climb away, this is when I felt as though the tree was trying to pull me in, I felt like the kid in that move The Poltergeist. As I tried to crawl from the tree I begged for my friend to pull me out, I think I even had the sense to just say I was having a bad trip. I looked at his face and felt that he was the devil, a sinister and evil grin, and this was all a cruel trick. I became concerned with my breathing and fight or flight kicked it I got up and began walking, and after about 50 stopped and layed on the ground. I told my friend to call an ambulance and I couldn't breath. He reassured me I was on a drug and would come down soon. I lay there in misery, my eyes closed seeing strands of dna-like strings floating in a void, then as quickly as I had left, I returned. I had never been so happy and appreciative to be in this reality. I will say that the trip I had was like being reborn, I saw the world as bright and crisp as a young child, like I was seeing everything for the first time.

To this day, that is the worst trip I've ever had.

The first and only time I broke through on Salvia was my only terror trip to date.
It was about five or so years ago, I loaded a pipe to the brim with the 20x extract and smoked it all in three hits.

The very second I let out that third hit, I lost all sense of self. I had no idea where I was, what I was, or how I got there. The sensations I felt can only be described as feeling as through I was pages in a book being flipped through very fast and being torn to shreds. It was painful, but this was secondary to the state reality was it. I saw reality split into BILLIONS of fragments moving at incredible speeds, all points in time at that place existing at once. I felt that I most certainly had died, or had I been dead? I didn't know. I began to regain mobility in my body and quickly feel to my side. The trees limbs grew sinister and long. I began to try and climb away, this is when I felt as though the tree was trying to pull me in, I felt like the kid in that move The Poltergeist. As I tried to crawl from the tree I begged for my friend to pull me out, I think I even had the sense to just say I was having a bad trip. I looked at his face and felt that he was the devil, a sinister and evil grin, and this was all a cruel trick. I became concerned with my breathing and fight or flight kicked it I got up and began walking, and after about 50 stopped and layed on the ground. I told my friend to call an ambulance and I couldn't breath. He reassured me I was on a drug and would come down soon. I lay there in misery, my eyes closed seeing strands of dna-like strings floating in a void, then as quickly as I had left, I returned. I had never been so happy and appreciative to be in this reality. I will say that the trip I had was like being reborn, I saw the world as bright and crisp as a young child, like I was seeing everything for the first time.

To this day, that is the worst trip I've ever had.

I had a experiance a bit like your pages in a book but I felt like id been cutt into slices

So if someone mugs you its just a learning experiance

Yeah I had a friend who was mugged and had his teeth knocked out the first time he was on acid. This also involved the police coming around while he had an ounce of weed in his bag.
That was not a positive experience for him.

My worst trip was probably the one where i was stuck at a friend's house and i thought i was gonna be either raped/beaten the shit out of by/witness the suicide of some naked asshole if i didn't comply with gay sex (goddamn psychedelic delusions (or was it a delusion?! fuck, makes it hard to trust people when you're convinced that they want nothing but your existence to be ruined))

Ever since then every time i've tripped i've got the conspiracy-shits HARD. The time after that i was quite convinced that the same guy was gonna go batshit crazy in his own yard - this shook me up, as there's not much worse than shitting bricks, let alone shitting bricks on 2C-P. Had to sit around waiting for what seemed like a fucking millenia so that i could leave.
Most recently i know for a fact that it wasn't just me imagining crazy shit, the guy i was tripping with DELIBERATELY DEVIATED and started coming out with shit like "what if a tsunami or somethin like that came in here and took us away, there'd be nothing i could do about it i'd just have to go with it", also started saying shit like "Oh man i'm still getting higher/the visuals are still getting more intense" or "I can't taste anything" when he's eating a goddamn toffee yoghurt and it's just like "DUDE WHY ARE YOU FUCKING LYING TO ME, GTFO I'M NOT HAVING YOU GO CRAZY ON MY ASS". Shat me up hard, ruined the latter half of my trip.

The most fucked up one though has to be my most recent 4-Ho-MET experience - telepathy hard between me and a guy on the same 22ish dose who basically told me that he was some next being who was disturbing my imaginary world and completely fucking with my shit for his own pleasure (as far as i remember none of this was said in actual words), he tried to convince me to do some fucked up things that night - thankfully the worst i did was chew some cat-biscuits, he explicitly told me as well that if i didn't comply it'd be FAR worse next time (i'm not looking forward to that). I need to be way less suggestible when tripping. Or i just need to trip with people who aren't sketched out crazies.

On all of these trips any euphoria and awesome visuals were put to the back of my mind while i was getting fucked with, and i didn't walk away from these trips having learnt anything besides from "I fucking hate people, trip alone in future"

Well, it depends on what you're looking for in a psychedelic trip.

If you're looking to have a jolly old time, then any trip in which you're confronted by negative aspects of yourself would be a bad trip. Because it would oppose your goal.

If you're looking to improve yourself, then such an experience could be immensely valuable, in which case it would be a good trip. Because it would succeed your goal.

^^ Absolutely.

I was thinking last night while on LSD that most people probably have bad trips because they go playing with their minds looking to have a good time, and they don't know what they're in for. Not all but a great deal would be like that. When I encounter something confronting, my attitude is, "Excellent, this is what I came here for!"

Personally, I also consider an experience of shattering terror or despair from which you're not able to salvage anything meaningful, except maybe "Don't do drugs", to be a bad trip. I've had two of these.

Most recently i know for a fact that it wasn't just me imagining crazy shit, the guy i was tripping with DELIBERATELY DEVIATED and started coming out with shit like "what if a tsunami or somethin like that came in here and took us away, there'd be nothing i could do about it i'd just have to go with it", also started saying shit like "Oh man i'm still getting higher/the visuals are still getting more intense" or "I can't taste anything" when he's eating a goddamn toffee yoghurt and it's just like "DUDE WHY ARE YOU FUCKING LYING TO ME, GTFO I'M NOT HAVING YOU GO CRAZY ON MY ASS". Shat me up hard, ruined the latter half of my trip.

Sorry but I'm a little confused by this - why did you assume he was lying, or that he was going crazy? The things you listed him saying sound like typical things someone tripping might say.

The first one sounds crazy yes but I don't think he was actually thinking there was any chance of a tsunami coming in, just pondering over such thoughts as psychedelics often bring the mind to quite odd places.

The "Wow my trips getting stronger" I've said in about 1/2 my trips and I'm pretty sure most people have said that fairly often ;) - and as for not being able to taste anything, psychedelics affect all senses so it's possible he really was experiencing that.

I see there being 4 different kinds of trips:

Life-changing trips - These go beyond the norm and are just so wonderful that they might even change you forever, and at the very least you'll probably remember them for most/all of your life.
Good trips - A trip that went well/very well.
Difficult trips - These are what most people refer to as bad trips, but I don't regard them as such. A difficult trip is one in which you may feel bad, cry, feel scared, have an emotional rollercoaster of a time, but these difficult trips while hard are accompanied by valuable lessons.
Bad trips - A difficult trip that held no valuable lesson either. (And not just because you were oblivious to the lesson)

I've had the first three but I've yet to have a difficult trip I didn't learn something from, so I've yet to have had something I'd label a bad trip, despite having once had a trip that could have led to me being hospitalised/dead if I'd been alone, and several other rather scary trips when I was less cautious.

Who would do such a thing? That is just cruel..

Street rats looking for money. I know the person who did it as well, he should be in jail many times over. He's not.
The system works!

Difficult trips - These are what most people refer to as bad trips, but I don't regard them as such. A difficult trip is one in which you may feel bad, cry, feel scared, have an emotional rollercoaster of a time, but these difficult trips while hard are accompanied by valuable lessons.

I get this on a regular basis now. I honestly cry on acid pretty regularly these days and feel sorry for anyone who considers feeling their emotions a bad trip, but each to their own :)
Crying on psychedelics is an amazingly therapeutic experience if you have something worth crying about.

Last edited:
Likewise, TangerinO. I think I've cried at some point almost every time I've taken mescaline or LSD. The last time, I was bawling my eyes out like a kid as a revelation about what went wrong in my life hit me. It went on for about an hour, and I didn't care who the hell heard me. When it was over, I felt like I'd been born again, like this fake identity I'd been wearing for years had finally been torn away and I remembered who I was. That feeling hasn't left, either. It was the best trip I've ever had.

Jail, hospital, or morgue. I've ended up in the first 2 and a few friends in the 3rd.:(

Likewise, TangerinO. I think I've cried at some point almost every time I've taken mescaline or LSD. The last time, I was bawling my eyes out like a kid as a revelation about what went wrong in my life hit me. It went on for about an hour, and I didn't care who the hell heard me. When it was over, I felt like I'd been born again, like this fake identity I'd been wearing for years had finally been torn away and I remembered who I was. That feeling hasn't left, either. It was the best trip I've ever had.

I know the feeling. Not the last time I dosed but the time before, I had been having some tension with a mate of mine for some reason.
We ended up alone, I don't even know how. We were just talking and having a smoke, and when we got on the topic of his low self esteem, I realised how beautiful he is. How much he has to give, how much love and happiness is in his heart, and how if he could just realise for himself how much of a positive influence he was he would feel better.

I couldn't even finish the conversation before tears of happiness started streaming. I hugged him, told him exactly what I was feeling, and demanded he spread that love in his heart.
Once you see the true light whether in someone else, or yourself, all the bullshit just melts away.

I've never had a bad trip exactly but there have been plenty that just weren't that interesting or very fun. Most of my trips are a blast though. I either have really good trips or occasionally i will have trips that aren't bad but just not as 'good' as others.

I would imagine a bad trip would be when things are way too intense for your set and setting. Then possibly getting arrested, taken to the hospital, or whatever might happen as a result. That would probably be considered bad in my opinion.

Waves, A Bad Trip and The Runs

consisted of a big blue cooler, an Xbox and back pack full of clothes and pot smoking utensils, I was ready for a night at the beach. Though this particular night would not turn out like the rest of my beer drunken sabbaticals in the sands of New Smyrna, I cruised along unaware, with the beating wind and rocking guitar strums of Jimi. When I got to the beach I drank beer on the beach and then munched out at a cool river bar and took the pieces of white paper, one, two, and a little more around midnight. Fast forward, 2 a.m. After taking my last gravity bong (which I later was told heightened the trip, not sure..) and stumbling bleary eyed into my normal sleeping quarters, a top bunk in the condos front bedroom, I climbed the stairs and closed my eyes. First, a tie-dye print exploded into my sight and when I opened my eyes, the bedrooms doorway was reverberating with such force, I could not determine what was the door and what was the shaking visuals. At this point, fully aware I was properly fucked, I hastily crawled down the ladder that felt as though stories high and quickly went to the sleeping friend of mine who took not near as much. I nervously said I was freaking out and he assured me I was fine. These words were not comforting, About this time, I felt a strong stomach evacuation in process and ran for the adjoining bathroom, the bowel movement was that of a soda machine (Sprite colored) and throughout the trip I was in the bathroom countless times. Needless to say, the small, dimly lit, bathroom was not the place I preferred to be, considering the Spanish tile was shifting as if lava and the shower curtain a floral print, was exploding in streams of the bright colors like a never ending firework, for this reason I usually kept the door opened and told my friend Mike that I may be shitting so much out of “sheer fucking fear.” Between 3 a.m. and 5:30 Mike stayed up and continued to answer my questions. He also got a seasoned tripper, Amanda who was staying with us to answer some of my ridiculous questions and shoot down my proposal I go to a hospital. My most common inquiry was asking when the fuck it was going to end. I kept saying I just wanted to sleep. Silly me. Besides the mind-blowing visuals (being at the beach, the ocean was terrifying) the biggest agitation with my bad trip was the anxiety of my continuous bubbling energy. I just wanted to de-compress but this was impossible, I continued to move from couch to his king size bed laying on a sliver of it, peeking outside at the churning waves that seemed much larger and more violent than they really were. Around 6 a.m. the sun rose and with the rising orange sun I thought the trip may be coming to a close, wrong. I sat on the couch at this point jogging to the bathroom when I needed to go more and asking Mike if he was, “ok,” clearly an automated mechanism I did, to feel safe. Around 7 a.m. I went outside by myself as Mike had fallen asleep and looked at the sun rising over the water. The bright beaming reflection of the sun shot across the water and I felt as though the light went right off the water and the yellow beam continued past me on the porch. This was the most serene part of the trip and felt a strong momentary inner peace. The sun was beautiful. Though many of the strong visuals had faded around 8 a.m. I cold now close my eyes but falling sleep was in a very distant realm. I got very anxious about the fact I wanted to sleep and knew I couldn’t, a paranoia almost. Around 9 a.m. my other buddy woke up and headed out surfing, talking to him seemed foreign and everything I said, I doubted, very weird feeling. From here on the faint visuals were gone but the anxiety and mental agitation was very persistent. From 10 a.m. till we left that day I estimate I shit out a few gallons of water, ate nothing and had never been so mind fucked in my entire life. We left the beach that evening and made it home around 8 p.m. My friend drove my car as I felt I was so tired it would be dangerous and the initial moments of the ride back I was very nervous but eventfully chilled out. When I got home I took a Xanax to wind down after unsuccessfully trying to sleep and faded away into the most yearned for sleep I have ever had around 9 p.m. I slept for 12 hours and woke up still slightly off, but definitely back on planet earth and my mind could grasp ideas, thoughts, and process basic information again.
All in all, it was the most intense experience of my otherwise relaxed life but clearly most people have a awesome time. I have to say I probably wont do acid or even shrooms again, as I have decided reality is weird enough for me. My words of advice are to make the decision to take something like this ahead of time as to mentally prepare. Also, I made the decision after drinking on the beach for 8 hours and if I had been sober would have never done it in those circumstance with people not tripping and some that were, the entire atmosphere was wrong and being drunk disregarded it. I later talked to Amanda and she said I had taken the equivalent of two hits of “high quality shit” as I was unaware, since I had never done it. For those that continue to have epic journeys of mental exploration and worldly enlightenment I wish you many more escapes, as for me, I’ll be that creepy guy you refuse to trip around because, he never does.

My worst trip was probably the one where i was stuck at a friend's house and i thought i was gonna be either raped/beaten the shit out of by/witness the suicide of some naked asshole if i didn't comply with gay sex (goddamn psychedelic delusions (or was it a delusion?! fuck, makes it hard to trust people when you're convinced that they want nothing but your existence to be ruined))

Ever since then every time i've tripped i've got the conspiracy-shits HARD. The time after that i was quite convinced that the same guy was gonna go batshit crazy in his own yard - this shook me up, as there's not much worse than shitting bricks, let alone shitting bricks on 2C-P. Had to sit around waiting for what seemed like a fucking millenia so that i could leave.

The most fucked up one though has to be my most recent 4-Ho-MET experience - telepathy hard between me and a guy on the same 22ish dose who basically told me that he was some next being who was disturbing my imaginary world and completely fucking with my shit for his own pleasure (as far as i remember none of this was said in actual words), he tried to convince me to do some fucked up things that night - thankfully the worst i did was chew some cat-biscuits, he explicitly told me as well that if i didn't comply it'd be FAR worse next time (i'm not looking forward to that). I need to be way less suggestible when tripping. Or i just need to trip with people who aren't sketched out crazies.

On all of these trips any euphoria and awesome visuals were put to the back of my mind while i was getting fucked with, and i didn't walk away from these trips having learnt anything besides from "I fucking hate people, trip alone in future"

that is ridiculous. I'm sorry, but if I were you, I would never take drugs around that person again. Honestly, if you do, you're a moron.

This is why I trip alone.

A trip becomes bad as soon as soon as soon as paranoia turns into logic within ones mind & the line seperating panic & excitement dissolves. Derealization is also frightening if allowed to become part of a thought loop; sometimes this is unavoidable. Pre-trip, its a good idea to have a safety object that you can refer to to snap your mind back to Earth, like a sentimental piece of jewelry or any tangible object not requiring abstract symbols to comprehend.