• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Backyard Vegetable Gardening & Livestock Raising & Sustainable Living

i would probably sabotage my neighbors chicken coup if they had one.
maybe. or i would pay the neighborhood kids to do it for me.

you must love living in chicago. that place is so full of assholes you probably fit right in.

amor said:
WIN. Do you seriously think all the complaints about neighbors' constantly barking dogs is unwarranted? This is a fallacy argument Pander, you know it. Just to break it down, because other things are bothersome to people and they still do it means I'm allowed to do it too is not logical.

The additional noise of a rooster in my neighborhood would be unwelcome, as are thinks like backing up trucks, honking horns— living in a city doesn't mean i'm a glutton for noise pollution, it means I'm willing to tolerate as much is necessary to keep a city operating. A rooster is superfluous.

Reading comprehension: its not on the LSAT, evidently. ;)

Amor called me yesterday to warn me that I was gonna get ribbed in this thread for owning a rooster, which was news to me. Since I posted my rooster negative thoughts though, I've been made aware that several neighbors I drive past semi-regularly keep them to no ill-effect. Food for thought. I'm still not getting one, because I'm not interested in the breeding of animals in my back yard. ;)

seedless said:
i would probably sabotage my neighbors chicken coup if they had one.
maybe. or i would pay the neighborhood kids to do it for me.

I would probably grit my teeth and hate my neighbor until I grew a pair and walked over to his place to speak to him like an adult ought to. I'm not a candy-ass though, so what works for me might not work for you.

Reading comp. was the only section of the LSAT I got a perfect on. :p

But yeah, I still don't want a neighbor rooster. :) I *do* live in an apartment with a patio so this is kinda a ridiculous thing to happen anyway.

For what its worth when i came home from school today there was a big rooster clucking around my backyard. I went outside and followed him into the woods. He had no leg tags or whatever you would think they have. I gave him a big pile of sunflower seeds and decoration corn cobs, he is eating it right now. I could probably catch him but I am not going to try. Dont have a clue where he came from, I do know I never hear a rooster crow around here. Now I feel bad that somebody out there is neglecting there rooster and its taking up residence in my backyard!

He wont last long coyotes are plentiful here. Im tempted to call animal control but I have things to do [kinda]. Ahhh if your going to keep chickens/roosters should probably have a excellent coop.

Well the rooster was found.

Something bit/ripped its head off and buried it under my neighbors hedges. He thought it was somebody playing a 'sick Halloween prank'. I just told him it was just an escaped rooster from a negligent urban homesteader.

8(

The only reason I mentioned a rooster was to make the cock comment. I would not get a rooster in the city either it is not needed.

It was 71 degrees in atlanta today, so it was a perfect time to build another lasagna garden, add to our first one, and tinker further with the most dangerous chicken coop this side of the mississippi.

391884_10100909873073910_4928683_65566245_447516401_n.jpg

379117_10100909873782490_4928683_65566250_787093559_n.jpg

378050_10100909873537980_4928683_65566249_245291329_n.jpg

in our first lasagna garden we planted beans -- we got a shit ton of wax, dragon, and green beans. this was our first harvest:

20u7b84.jpg

we haven't decided what to do next year in either of the beds yet, i'm hoping for some fruit, and maybe weird greens, for sure tomatoes and peppers again...

Last edited:
That looks fantastic, Pander and Keni! :D The link to your bean photo is broken though- i'd love to see what you've harvested!

If I know Pander, this is all in preparation for 2012. :D

i'm so sick of the left coast and the east coast and their self centered attitude. new york gets a foot of snow and it's national news for weeks. a hair salon gets shot up in california and it's a 'massacre' that i'm hearing about all the way down here in nobody gives a shit Southern US. it sucks, people died that shouldn't have died, but seriously, get the fuck over it, California. that goes for you too, New York, Boston, Chicago, D.C. i'm from a place where you see a goddamn dead body every day. /rant

I hope nobody does a "drive-by" on your chicken coop!

I'll tell ya, If I had a neighbor with a rooster that cock-a-doodled every morning at the crack of dawn, that bird is gonna get a "hot one" in its chest.

That's 'urban'? ;)

my property taxes are. ;)

APD homicide was out about a mile and a half from my home investigating a slain rapper the other day. I live about 3/4 of a mile from where the braves play, and a few blocks from an old derelict ford assembly factory, a mosque, a federal penitentiary. We got urban problems in a pastoral landscape. ;)

we axed out hood friend and according to the black people's twitter, slim and the rest of the 1017 crew are the kind of people to sell you a brick, then rob you of that brick and take your car too. They start a lot of shit at ESSO, and pretty much do whatever they want. Chances are good that the dude who shot slim was looking to settle *that* kind of score.

Atlanta has been dangerous if you're a thug or a cab driver this season. Kinda freakin' me out— though I doubt any of that violence will ever trickle down to he urban homesteadin' set. ;)

my property taxes are. ;)

APD homicide was out about a mile and a half from my home investigating a slain rapper the other day. I live about 3/4 of a mile from where the braves play, and a few blocks from an old derelict ford assembly factory, a mosque, a federal penitentiary. We got urban problems in a pastoral landscape. ;)

None of these things suggest that it's super urban to me. The Royals are in the boonies...

The Royals are in the boonies...
afaic, the boonies start when I leave st louis and don't end until I hit denver.

IDK amor— we can't all live in overpriced yuppie lofts and stucco monstrosities with teeny tiny decks. The Poors have to live somewhere. If I live inside the city limits, especially in a city like mine, that just sprawls out over about 5 counties, I get to say i live in an urban area. My lot is 1/3 or an acre or less, I am governed by the city's restrictive laws about tree removal, wood fires, et cetera. I'm two blocks from two bus routes, 5 minutes on foot from the future street car and some housing projects, and 5 minutes by car from the capitol and city hall. shrug.