• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Backyard Vegetable Gardening & Livestock Raising & Sustainable Living

I'll leave the chickens for the farmers, no thanks. I read in the newspaper not to long ago in some city up here someone wanted to put a chicken coop in there backyard and [try] to raise eggs. the city wouldn't let them, neighbors complained about squawking chickens roosters whatever.

Atlanta allows for up to 75 chickens and 5 goats, so we're totally covered on that front. We have an empty house behind us, a vacant lot next to us, a street on our other side (we're the corner house) and we talked to our neighbors across that street and he was okay with it, and really, we don't care about anyone else but him. anyway, free eggs are a good way to win over any gripes.

eta: this is totally awesome as well : http://midtown.11alive.com/news/bus...n-helps-atlantans-get-rid-baaaad-plants/66169 (video in link)

this thread is awesome! i really hope we can do the same thing when we get our house.

I worked for a company called plant partners for a few years, I love plants and have a bit of a green thumb. Grew 4 gigantum poppies last year its a shame the flower only lasts a few days!

Kenickie you should be good with the chickens as long as you put the pen far from the house, them things stink.

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother-in-law has 4 chooks in his back yard (in Brisbane, Australia), and it's wonderful. I grew up eating home-laid eggs - my grandparents grew most of their f&v in the garden, had chooks, and for the most part, ate beef that had been raised/slaughtered by my uncle. They bought form the store as well, but i can't speak highly enough of how satisfying it is to eat food that you've grown yourself or had a direct impact over (ie, the raising/keeping of the chooks).

We're moving to Brisbane this year, and one thing we'll do almost as soon as we buy is to install a chook coop, and build some raised garden beds for f&v. I'm also excited about moving to a climate that can sustain the fruit that i love. :)

Fresh eggs are great. You need a rooster too. Then you can tell everyone about your cock. :)

^ OMFG, is the noise of a rooster fucking terrible? That's what I hear... especially in an urban environment...

^ I personally would never consider a rooster's noises as "fucking terrible." I mean, they're not that loud. :p Though I live on the edge of the sticks. People in the city would probably find the noises of roosters to be "fucking terrible."

it does not bother me at all, the sounds of sirens, speeding cars and reversing vehicles at 6am I find "fucking terrible" suppose its what you are used to.
You do not need a rooster for the hens to lay, however sometimes you need one to start them off. you can get ex battery hens, kind of a rehoming thing you will get a couple of years from them, they come to you half the time with half their feathers but in no time they pick up and you can see how much more active they are.
It is nice having chickens, I rotate them around the garden so keeps it clear of bugs :D

Sorry guys. I didn't know saying 'fucking terrible' was so offensive. I was seriously just asking a question about the noise. Maybe I've seen 'My Cousin Vinny' too many times. :)

Last edited:
The additional noise of a rooster in my neighborhood would be unwelcome, as are thinks like backing up trucks, honking horns— living in a city doesn't mean i'm a glutton for noise pollution, it means I'm willing to tolerate as much is necessary to keep a city operating. A rooster is superfluous.

well, bumping this thread -- we're so much closer now. PB went and pulled off these giant pieces of metal roofing stuff from some exploded out building on the traintracks. we got most of our wood from a drag off dumpster from some foreclosure down the street. and now it looks like…a structure of some kind from haiti. i'm in love with it and want to put more spraypaint all over it, much to PB's horror. the whole thing has been made in such a punk rock way, why not go all out?

start winterizing medium/large sized flowering/fruiting plants with a good dose of High-P Bat Guano once a month / every 50 days.

larger fruit trees will respond well with much more Bat Guano and a dash of Borax...punch a hole 2-3 feet deep into the ground several feet from the trunk to help get the nutrients down along the tap-root further - 'cinder-blocks' can be broken and used to help keep the shape of the hole for years.

all of this will boost micro-biological activity for the root-system while dormant, and does produce, this is beneficial.

i'm in love with it and want to put more spraypaint all over it, much to PB's horror. the whole thing has been made in such a punk rock way, why not go all out?

Its so punk rock I'm concerned that it'll blow over in a stiff breeze. I cut the corrugated metal roofing down to size while you were away at work today tho. ;)All that's left to do it put up the walls, cut doors, hang them, build nest boxes, roosts, feeders, put the wire on, and buy some chookz!

i would probably sabotage my neighbors chicken coup if they had one.
maybe. or i would pay the neighborhood kids to do it for me.

There is a difference between PERSONALLY causing the noise in the morning and the city. Should I start woodchipping at 6am just because other noises occur too? Why don't I just start a 'yelling league' because I want to? The city makes noises too! They are bothering people's lives so I can without feeling any remorse. WIN. Do you seriously think all the complaints about neighbors' constantly barking dogs is unwarranted? This is a fallacy argument Pander, you know it. Just to break it down, because other things are bothersome to people and they still do it means I'm allowed to do it too is not logical.

Last edited:
^lmao

that how it is here, one cockadoodle - and the chainsaws start sawing, the leaf blowers start blowing, and the restless get going.

Pretty sure in most states it's illegal to keep a rooster in the city. This is not an oversight. Sorry to PB b/c he wasn't the peg in this argument.

^ I personally would never consider a rooster's noises as "fucking terrible." I mean, they're not that loud. :p Though I live on the edge of the sticks. People in the city would probably find the noises of roosters to be "fucking terrible."

Yeah, this is called 'urban homesteading' not 'homesteading in the sticks', different categories.

You're out of your element Donnie.