• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Backyard Vegetable Gardening & Livestock Raising & Sustainable Living

my mom loved flowers, but she died 20yrs ago. now i'm trying to get a handle on things and one project is restoring the rose beds my dad now uses for tomatoes. i'm not going to plant roses, but i am fixing the borders, spreading the striped liriope and replanting. i've been trying to get some of the johnny jump ups we used to have back, but slugs just destroy them. the other day, in the corner of the bed where i throw out extra dirt, i found this:

uc

i actually teared up. thanks, mom.

Last edited:
^tantric, that is so great. I have a poem you might like.

Mother

by Ted Kooser

Mid April already, and the wild plums
bloom at the roadside, a lacy white
against the exuberant, jubilant green
of new grass in the dusty, fading black
of burned-out ditches. No leaves, not yet,
only the delicate, star-petaled
blossoms, sweet with their timeless perfume.

You have been gone a month today
and have missed three rains and one nightlong
watch for tornadoes. I sat in the cellar
from six to eight while fat spring clouds
went somersaulting, rumbling east. Then it poured,
a storm that walked on legs of lightning,
dragging its shaggy belly over the fields.

The meadowlarks are back, and the finches
are turning from green to gold. Those same
two geese have come to the pond again this year,
honking in over the trees and splashing down.
They never nest, but stay a week or two
then leave. The peonies are up, the red sprouts
burning in circles like birthday candles,

for this is the month of my birth, as you know,
the best month to be born in, thanks to you,
everything ready to burst with living.
There will be no more new flannel nightshirts
sewn on your old black Singer, no birthday card
addressed in a shaky but businesslike hand.
You asked me if I would be sad when it happened

and I am sad. But the iris I moved from your house
now hold in the dusty dry fists of their roots
green knives and forks as if waiting for dinner,
as if spring were a feast. I thank you for that.
Were it not for the way you taught me to look
at the world, to see the life at play in everything,
I would have to be lonely forever.

Today I transplanted some yarrow flowers into a dead tree stump that is in the middle of my garden. It looks really neat, I hope they survive but I have a feeling most of them will, they look happy. I accomplished this by drilling some holes into the stump, then using the back side of a hammer to tear out more of the soft rotting wood so that I could fit a bunch of dirt as well as the whole clump of dirt that the yarrow flower roots came out with when I dug them up from their original spot. If they live and prosper I will be very happy.

Also, right now I am drinking a smoothy with pineapple-sage and lemon-balm from my garden mixed in, its interesting and delicious, it adds a bit of complexity to the taste, and works very well with the peach and blueberries which are the main ingredients in my smoothy. I will definitely be using my pineapple sage in smoothies more in the future, and I am psyched to have found a new use for it.

Not from my backyard but from The Community Gardens. It was midnight and I had just spent 20 minutes scrubbing soil off all it with a toothbrush.

18577828733_40bbe175b1_c.jpg

We have more too. The tubers originally came from my mums garden.

Anyone guess what it is? :)

Tumeric, yes :)

It's a group thing I am doing. So far it's been used in a few meals volunteers cook for a lot of people (and will be continued to be used), bartered for seeds, given away for other people to use in their cooking (and juices I think) and some saved for when spring comes around in a few months. This was harvested when the leaves were all yellow and just starting to brown, but there is more in the ground that I suggested we wait until the leaves completely die back to see if it makes a difference to things like flavor and colour.

Can't say I have ever grown lemon balm or pineapple sage. Normal sage though :)

My friend once made some fantastic fish tacos with finely chopped lemon balm, pineapple sage and fresh pineapple and cod. Simple and totally delicious.

Klue, I've never actually seen tumeric roots like that. I've been trying to drink tumeric tea lately (for medicinal reasons) but I always have the feeling that it isn't really doing much as it is dried, processed and stored on shelves before it comes to my body. I would love to have some slices of that to brew in hot water. Ever tried it fresh as tea?

I'm not a herbal tea drinker, and I do drink earl grey occasionally but no never tried it as a tea :)

I'm glad I posted a photo seeing you hadn't seen them before, it was so easy to grow. Something I have loved over the years with plants is hard for me to explain. But it's this amazing, overwhelming, enthusiastic feeling I get thinking about discovering things about food plants. Years ago when I started using the internet a lot I looked up pepper. I had ground pepper a thousand times but had never seen fresh pepper before and didn't realize it was a vine and I had all this information at my fingertips about different types of pepper.

Anyway, food plants rule.

Turmeric... Very cool.

It's been a lame growing season here so far. Very cool and wet. Peas are about ready though. Potatoes are doing well. Been eating beet greens... Yum

Impressive looking melon LuGo!

Do you have problems with squirrels? They like to dig up the seeds where I live.

Impressive looking melon LuGo!

Do you have problems with squirrels? They like to dig up the seeds where I live.

I do not but they are very aware of what's happening on my balcony, there are a lot of them in the trees around me. I saw one climbing up the fence a few months ago but I scared it away. My cats also hang out in the windows so I think that might help keep them away.

The only pests I have to deal with are insects. I get terrible leaf hoppers in early spring and then usually a bunch of green aphids. In the past I had to use neem oil but this year I had enough spiders and ladybugs hanging around to eliminate them.

Excellent. How many fruit set? I think I asked this last year. Do you see many bees around the place? :)

My marshmallow is huge, like 4.5 feet tall, and has such delicate pale blue almost white flowers blooming all over it. I can't wait to see what kind of root system it has been developing down there come fall, which will also incidentally be time to make seriously old fashioned marshmellows with marshmallow root.

I'm drinking freshly dried chamomile tea now from my garden with orange geranium and pineapple sage. I tried pineapple sage in tacos with lemon balm and pineapple, also added caramelized onion, apple and green jalapenos, it was certainly unique. Lemon balm and pineapple sage together seems to be a taste that can work equally well in desserts or savory dishes. Playing with it is a current fascination for me.

Sometimes I add leaves of my Valerian plant to teas. It tastes like watery pea soup from fresh leaves, inoffensive, but weird. I'm hoping the roots are stronger I notice more of a mellowing effect from my chamomile flowers. Not complaining though.

Excellent. How many fruit set? I think I asked this last year. Do you see many bees around the place? :)

Just one for now. I have a bunch of flowers so a few more should set within the next week. Not many bees unfortunately but I do grow whatever I can to help attract them.

32730309081_4cc226ec78_b.jpg

Here is my turmeric, trying it in a pot this year. Second crop of 'Brown Beauty' beans from seed this summer and some 'Dark Opal' purple basil also from seed :)

With the space in front of the beans I spread some coriander seeds about a week ago. It's interesting seeing what's germinating of worth; the usual suspect - cherry tomatoes but a basil or two also. Usually there is lots of lettuce there but it's summer so too hot although I did put some lettuce seeds down into a punnet this afternoon anticipating it being cool enough in a month or six weeks.

Last edited: