• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Backyard Vegetable Gardening & Livestock Raising & Sustainable Living

We finally got some passionfruit growing!!
passionfruit.jpg

And the pomegranates are coming along nicely as well!
pomegranate.jpg

I'll have to start looking up some cool/easy pomegranate recipes! %)

I wouldn't use 'soil' as such,

Is that because of the drainage? Or because of contaminants?

I think Im lucky because we have quite sandy soil that drains a treat. I try and use worm castings to beef it up a bit but they never seem to be able to make enough castings to keep up with how much I use.

^ Hey, if it's working for you run with it :)

Yes and yes. Even loamy soils eventually compact, discouraging airflow, water penetration and therefore root growth. And yeah, Potting mixes are sterile. It's a trend these days based on the science of it all, I would say 99% of production nurseries use potting 'mix'. 20 years ago it would have been a different story though.

That passionfruit looks awesome! The over ripe ones like that are so much sweeter.

Well done :D

Oooh fuck, did I pick it prematurely?!
There are plenty more green ones on the vine so let me know when I should wait to pick those ones :)

Also, if you have any tips about the pomegranates, sock it to me! The only reason I'm picking them so obviously early is because either bats or possums are eating them all! :D
Cheeky fuckers!

No no, yours is perfect. You should pretty much wait until they fall off, that means they are fully ripe and will be soo much sweeter. The wrinkles in the skin is an indication to me that it will be delicious!

Excellent! Thank you Dr Garden! =D
I will wait for longer to pick the other ones though. There are about 15 green ones on the vine. Niiiice :)

bumpity bump again :)

Glad I did a search to see if there was a garden thread here. I'm into my gardening and have a mixed success with my plants this year. We moved to an exposed coastal location and some plants have just not enjoyed the salty wind and rain coming in from the sea.

Lots of bulbs planted into the ground like gladioli have not responded well or have bent over from the wind - the soil is sandy. I did plant a wild flower bed and it's done really well has as my poppy collection. The nasturtiums which usually grow like weeds have not flourished or climbed!

Lavenders, various trailing flowers have done well as have my sturdier herbs.

I've recently potted some winter colours - ivies, heathers, pansies and lemon scented firs - I have high hopes they will cope with the winter to come.

Indoors my cati have done well unlike my pepper and chilli pants. The Scottish sunlight has not been enough to mature the fruit from them.

I'll post some pics tomorrow to bore you all haha....I need to go to bed now!

There is actually a more recent thread here in SO; http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=482980

I have spent the last week preparing beds, mulching my citrus trees (planted two more too) and planting out herbs into beds. Been enjoying fresh Broccoli and have some Caulis almost ready too. Going to make two trellises for cucumbers and snow peas shortly.

Early Spring crops are in the ground.
NSFW:
Spring10009.jpg

Mixed salad leaves including rocket for BustaBeats famous scallop Summer salads, leeks for our blue cheese and mussel's, sweet corn because it is about the only veg we can get the youngest to eat.

Spring10010.jpg

Herb garden with mint, lemon, basil and rosemary. Perfect for Spring cocktails. San Pedro for decoration ;)

Spring10008.jpg

Wild tomatoe shrub that decided to sprout randomly from a pot and explode while we were away.

Spring10011.jpg

Lady finger banana's almost ready to harvest

Spring10007.jpg

Our resident Blue tongue lizard.

I recently ordered some organic, non-gmo, open pollinated vegetable and herb heirloom seeds and am VERY much looking forward to starting a garden. Unfortunately I need to erect a raised bed as I live with 2 dogs in my apartment :\ But with hope and luck I'll hardly ever have to buy food again. :D

I also feel very strongly the need to plant some non-edible flowers or other plants as well, and to keep them as healthy and help them live as long and confortable life as possible. In fact I absolutely refuse to do one without the other.

This is in hopes of balancing the negative karma generated by cultivating plants for the simple and only purpose of killing them. Which does nothing but add to the common lot of dukkha.

Early Spring crops are in the ground.
NSFW:
Spring10009.jpg

Mixed salad leaves including rocket for BustaBeats famous scallop Summer salads, leeks for our blue cheese and mussel's, sweet corn because it is about the only veg we can get the youngest to eat.

Spring10010.jpg

Herb garden with mint, lemon, basil and rosemary. Perfect for Spring cocktails. San Pedro for decoration ;)

Spring10008.jpg

Wild tomatoe shrub that decided to sprout randomly from a pot and explode while we were away.

Spring10011.jpg

Lady finger banana's almost ready to harvest

Spring10007.jpg

Our resident Blue tongue lizard.

10/10
14.gif

^ You two should totally help me put a mural on my shed wall! I would fucking love that.

I just put up about 15 meters of Brush Screen fencing today and have new garden beds everywhere, you guys will love it. Get your butt down here, Fat Albert are playing on the 29th :D

We have been waiting for the weather to improve so we could jump over the border Klue. We might be bringing the kids with us this time but we will definitely drop in. What sort of crops do you suggest we (I) plant this season given I expect a hell of lot more rain to fall before Winter?