• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Accidentally Opened My Third Eye While Doing Nitrous and Got Possessed by (Demon?)

luckily the day after I felt like I had a hole in my brain from nitrous I was already feelin quite a bit better. I combined mine with cocaine and ketamine not a megadose of amphs, also as soon as I noticed I was definitely doing damage I stopped, that may be why you didn't get so lucky.

When you do drugs, always listen to the voice inside your head. Seriously. Tried the same with an E-juice. I was almost choked to death the next day lol.

Last edited:
I agree actually: for example telling people to imagine the amount of salt they consume in a year as some pile does not prove that it is a toxic amount. It may very well be, but not necessarily. Mostly, it's an appeal to the imagination.

However it is kind of besides the point. Your symptoms are kind of doing the 'proving' so let's not spin this as a justification of your abuse.

About the existence of supernatural beings or forces: there is a difference between casually arguing about personal beliefs or superstitions and being affected by them in what I'd say is a pathological way. When your sanity is at stake I don't see how you can afford not be skeptical about matters like these. The unproven nature of supernatural beliefs will not help your case, but the scientific explanations which IMO are just more substantial and while not 100% perfect can still suggest medically agreeable theories, they may help limit confusion. And they may contribute to a clear path to recovery. Whereas questions about demons are just likely to stay open-ended, or worse: complicate into even more thoughts that - and you must at least consider this - may very well be virtually completely delusional.
Even if a proper diagnosis has not yet been given in this thread, the approach is decently rooted in reality... and you would do well to emphasize on reality right now.

OK, I got ya, all that makes great sense. I think initially I was more concerned about this because of the nature & severity of my hallucinations, and how realistic it was, but now I'm more concerned about the possibility of permanent brain damage, and rebuilding my emotional state and self esteem via increased cognitive performance. I can tell I'm far from sharp right now and very fatigued, and it's tough to build positive emotions in this state.

A bubbling/moving sensation in the head sounds like brain zaps, a result of serotonin releaser (amphetamines and some others) abuse and sometimes even just serotonin agonists (any psychedelic). I haven't done nitrous, except at the dentist, so I can't comment on that. But look into brain zaps. I abused MDMA and AMT in 2 separate periods and I would get brain zaps really bad, they're very alarming and weird feeling.

Ya, thanks for this, wasn't aware, and it makes sense because I actually quit lexapro cold turkey about 3 weeks ago @ 10 - 15 mg / day, but never really considered this as a cause because I had only been on it about 6 weeks, and I felt perfectly for the 2 weeks after quitting.

However, what I'm experiencing i would describe as a very extreme version of this. Feeling quite a bit of movement and a "swelling feeling" to the point where its almost put me in a panic & envisioning catastrophic scenarios a few times.

Do you know if 5-htp would be a good choice to alleviate some of these symptoms since I no longer have any Lexapro, and wouldn't want to go back on it anyways?

When you do drugs, always listen to the voice inside your head. Seriously. Tried the same with an E-juice. I was almost choked to death the next day lol.

Wish I had this advice going into it. I was just telling myself it was all in my head so I could just ignore it

Last edited:
Since you are addicted to a number of drugs that we cannot exclude from possible negative interactions, I'd say no on the 5-HTP. That stuff really doesn't work that much magic anyway, most of that is reputation based on theory and psychological effects like wishful thinking.
Brain zaps are thought to arise from changes in neurotransmitter systems - mostly serotonin - that the brain cannot keep up with. I think the best is to let it run its course, usually it is not considered to be dangerous but with you more is going on. It cannot be stressed enough how important it is that you don't take any more nitrous or drugs that lower the seizure threshold. Because between what happened / now happens with the krater and demonic head sensations and the brain zaps IMO you definitely are at risk for abnormal surges of brain activity which is also what epileptiform activity and seizures are.
It's a complex situation and I am not a professional, so it is hard to say what role the gabapentin plays but anti-convulsants just might protect you. Apart from that if you ask me you'd need to revise your drug intake to avert disaster and also so that you could start on some new script that can help with derealisation, mood problems and also importantly panic / anxiety and confusion. I wouldn't be surprised if that were antipsychotics like people said.

If you have previously taken Lexapro, does that mean that you do indeed have a psychiatrist, or were you just taking it on your own accord? Cold turkey was probably not a good idea and it would be strange if you were instructed to do that. Hopefully if you can find the chance to see a psychiatrist next to neurological consult, you can discuss how you can get help. It may very well involve quitting some of these drugs, or psych medication... I couldn't say what comes first in this situation.

So again avoid things that can contribute to seizures, or drugs that are stimulating or psychedelic... and if anything stick to moderate and wise use of sedatives when escalation is impending.

If you need to be admitted clinically to save your health, life or sanity, do it.

Thank you very much for your help. Yes, I do have a psychiatrist, but I really wanted to to see how it plays out with the neurologists & cutting some of these drugs before I go in to get on meds that may treat the symptoms, but not the cause. You're saying that antipsychotics help with feelings of emotional dullness, even though I don't feel like I am delusional?

I would rather try to get healthy first without any meds, and see how I feel. Will excessive exercise, nutrition, and sleep help excellerate the reversal of some of these symptoms I am having, and is it okay to do intense cardio with the way my brain is feeling right now?

^^^^

I just wanted to say that IMO you shouldn't let people being dicks on here cause you to leave this forum.

It looks like the best HR drug forum on the net and frankly, FUCK people if they are dicks.

Pretend they don't exist and I think if you only listen to the smart comments on this forum they might be some of the better drug advice you can find on the net.

You sound like you've had a hard time so you've got my sympathy and I like nitrous too and wouldn't want that shit to happen to me.

I hope you figure out a remedy for your situation.

Ya, I mean, nobody too out of line, it's just that when you're struggling and in a negative state of mind like I've been it's tough to deal with much of anything

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your help. Yes, I do have a psychiatrist, but I really wanted to to see how it plays out with the neurologists & cutting some of these drugs before I go in to get on meds that may treat the symptoms, but not the cause. You're saying that antipsychotics help with feelings of emotional dullness, even though I don't feel like I am delusional?

I would rather try to get healthy first without any meds, and see how I feel. Will excessive exercise, nutrition, and sleep help excellerate the reversal of some of these symptoms I am having, and is it okay to do intense cardio with the way my brain is feeling right now?

Would be great if you did that. About the anti-psychotics: I am just saying they might be there in your future, but it is probably too early to speculate too much now and you ought to let medical professionals handle it.

Eat a varied / complete nutritional diet and get enough sleep. Exercising is not a substitute for anything so just do that in moderation. Overly intense taxing and doing stuff excessively by definition implies that it is too much.
Getting off multiple addictions and having possible additional issues may very well have an impact on your sleep / appetite and generally your mental or physical state... so take it one step at a time, don't overcompensate and count your lucky stars when you find that you do have the willpower and discipline to change your lifestyle. It can be doable, but expect to work for it. Just focus your energy on the basics, not doing everything extremely well.

Best of luck. :)

Neurologist was a huge disappointment. To say that he was going through the motions is an understatement. Very old guy probably in his late 70’s early 80’s put me through a series of half-assed field sobriety type tests and tested my reflexes and told me everything “appeared to be fine”…

Because I had told him about my hallucinations, I feel like I had lost my credibility in his eyes from the get-go, so when I began to tell him about the sensations in my head he kept cutting me off and wouldn’t even acknowledge what I was saying.

In the end I finally asked him what he thought of the sensations I was having in my head and he said it sounded like psychosis… Apparently he has never heard of “brain zaps” from abrupt discontinuation of ssri’s and possibly some of the other things I was taking such as Nitrous, PEA and Kratom.

Not to mention, he knew nothing about almost all of the drugs I was taking, which I guess is to be expected, but that’s why I sent him my list a week in advance for his review… He even told me that nitrous causes neuron death and can cause “catastrophic neuron death”. I think he was confusing this with – huffing gasoline???

The good news, is that at least he referred me to get an MRI, but I am planning on taking the results to another doctor if possible.

It amazes me how the level of knowledgeable care and consideration here on B/L is literally night and day from seeing a doc who is probably making over 200K / year. I wish you guys could read brain scans…

Try someone else. Maybe look online for recommendations for good doctors for this type of thing. Not all doctors are worth their education, unfortunately.

Dude, at least nothing showed up on the MRI! You'll be fine, I knew you were gonna be fine the moment I read your story. Just stop worrying about it, and don't use drugs anymore, they are not for you.... you will go back to normal.

...“catastrophic neuron death”…

Too many people lull themselves into a false sense of security. Nitrous, when abused like you were, is a very strong NMDA antagonist with neuronal effects similar to PCP. I have a friend who used to do like 2-3 boxes of whippets in single sittings like you and it actually REALLY fucked him up.
Just because olney's lesions aren't totally proven in humans doesn't make reckless NMDA administration "safe".

Personally, I can't recommend anyone doing more than a few whippets a day, not in a row.

I haven't taken the MRI yet, but if they find anything crazy, I will let you know. I am also taking an eeg as well

No, you didn't get possessed by a demon. If you did, it would have made you do evil stuff not make you're head feel weird. You probably depleted your B12 stores and that caused some kind of neurological effects. Take some B12 supplements as a first step. Can't hurt, right? Anyway, unless they find a brain tumor you'll probably pull out of it after a while. Let's just say your whippet huffing days are over.

No, you didn't get possessed by a demon. If you did, it would have made you do evil stuff not make you're head feel weird. You probably depleted your B12 stores and that caused some kind of neurological effects. Take some B12 supplements as a first step. Can't hurt, right? Anyway, unless they find a brain tumor you'll probably pull out of it after a while. Let's just say your whippet huffing days are over.
Sure it could hurt. You can't just take random crap when you've got a compromised system.

Today is the first day (11 days after experience), with no strange sensations in my head, although any time I take a bit of gabapentin or caffeine my head feels abnormally “tight”, like my brain has swelled up, but nothing major.

I wanted to bump this thread once more, and I may even start a new one, since I’m not sure if people are even still looking at this thread, or perhaps some of the mods have said what they wanted to say and moved on.

First off, I will admit that I wasn’t in my right mind when I initially wrote this thread and was worried about the possibility of possession. I feel like some of my statements, let alone the title of the thread, may have destroyed my credibility right off the bat in your eyes regarding my experience and the profound sensations I was experiencing in my head

I would like to say that I do in fact believe that not only my hallucination, but also the sensations in my head were in fact a result of opening my third eye, and not a “psychotic” episode in the traditional sense.

I say this with more confidence now, because initially I just did a general google search on it, but just now I tried searching the DMT-nexus forum, and within about a half hour, I was able to find MANY reports of people experiencing the same types of sensations I was.

It also makes a lot of sense because it seems to be the consensus that DMT hallucinations are experienced through the third eye which utilizes all of the senses. This would be the only way I could have actually seen (in its entirety), felt, and heard in the side of my head, that obviously wasn’t physically happening.

Below are the two threads which most accurately describe what I went through, but I pulled the best posts from these threads (in no particular order because theyre all good) to show you pretty much exactly what I went through, that I am not alone and necessarily psychotic. There are many more, but I don't have enough time, and I thought this would be sufficient.

Now you might understand a bit more what I have been going through and why I wasn’t very receptive to many of you who claimed I was psychotic and needed to be put on drugs. Thanks for reading.

https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16701

https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=18639
https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=52713

1. My gf experienced something that I havent her first time taking the journey. She said she felt an odd sensation;
She felt like something was being inflated in the center of her brain. For a period that felt like a minute she felt this odd pressure build in the center of her head and as soon as she realized that this wasnt normal it deflated/popped and went away?
Has anyone experienced this? What could it be?

2. that happens to me often as well..if you read eastern literature about then third eye in combination with yoga, meditation and the "pineal necter" there is mention of this. It is definatily not just some somatic hallucination, I think there is a real physiological component behind it.

3. could be a defective pituitary gland

4. he first time I used DMT a few years ago I felt like my head was going to explode. It was scary, and I really felt a lot of pressure building up in my head. It built up really fast as the DMT was hitting me then it dissipated, and I felt good after words. I only felt this the first time though, and never again. It was yellow spice, and only a threshold dose with fractal visuals. Smoked out of a bong with weed in it. Since than most journeys have been with white spice and a machine or the GVG.

5. has anyone felt the 3rd eye vibrate after psychedelic use....the middle my forehead has had a buzzing vibrating feeling for a few weeks now after a heroic dose of lsd... is this really my 3rd eye ,if so is it opening? would love to hear what you guys think>

6. SWIM felt some kind of liquid energy pumping up and getting concentrated somewhere in her brain just behind her forehead bone wall after just her first low dose of DMT.
SWIM says it felt like there was something long time left there inactive and suddenly it was filled with energy and turned on.

7. Prior to Iboga I was somewhat sceptical of third eye claims, it all sounded a bit new agey to me. But during my Iboga initiation my third eye opened in a very profound, clear and obvious fashion, and remained open for the better part of a day. An incredible and completely unexpected experience. Thus I believe firmly that we all have a third eye, whether we know it or believe it.

8. I have these strange brain sensations, feelings, whatever, sometimes when using certain psychedelics. Mainly cannabis and shrooms.
When I haven't smoked in a while, weed can be very intense, the other day I had 1 bucket and it was equivalent to something in-between an ayahuasca trip and LSA. Sometimes the intensity of my thoughts leads to this third eye feeling, it's like something is trying to rip through your head, or like I'm experiencing my brains electro magnetic field. With the mushroom it's more like a small psychic drill, drilling into the middle of my forehead, or like something is being sucked out. It reminds me of the rotating of a double helix and I have found myself moving my limbs in this way as well. We can try to weigh it all up in countless ways, but I've come to realise that "what" things are is unimportant and that it can be more helpful to look at it's meaning in relation to yourself and your view of the world. I'd like to hear more interpretations of this though.

9. The very first time i tasted spice i felt my third eye open. I was at my brothers apt. And i we just finished smoking a spliff. And he turned me on to DMT and told me all about it and showed me some and the pipe and all. Well there was a little residue in the pipe and he let me try it. I had no break through or anything like that. I got really really happy. My smile was ear to ear. and it felt like my head was cut around at my forehead. like if i turned my face to the right, the top half would spin the other way. like they were disconnected right where the third eye sits. I was sitting at a kitchen table during this and deiced to move to the couch right next to it. and when i sat down i felt like i was watching myself from an over the shoulder prospective

10. i kinda had this feeling the first time i traveled, it began with the ringing and slowly it felt as if the vibrations was moving towards the center of my forehead, i didn't think of it much till i read this

11. Since my last few experiences with mushrooms, ayahuasca, meditation, yoga and even sound healing, I have been feeling this stimulation of my third eye.
At some point during the experience I feel as if it swells up and expands. It's a very nice feeling to have. During psychedelic experiences it is much stronger. During my first aya ceremony I felt as if the visions I had emanated from that single point.
During meditation I sometimes manage to focus on that point, consciously stimulating it. It feels as if I start "looking" through this eye, leaving my two other eyes behind. At first it is a movement inside (to the back of my head) and once the stimulation starts it seems to move outside, forward. Breathing exercises also cause this stimulation. I find it fascinating that it comes back throughout all these different types of techniques.
I was wondering if some of you guys experience this and what you make of it? Is there any source where I can find more info about this?

13. My DMT trip yesterday made me feel like my third eye was going to pop/explode...it was borderline unpleasant. I get this same effect through meditation, but it is far more subtle.

14. Interesting stuff. I've seen and felt what I believe to be my third eye. My first tangible experience of this was on my first experience with iboga, which I believe was a fair old dose. My third eye opened very suddenly and dramatically, in the centre of my vision behind closed eye lids, in the upper centre of my vision where one would expect it to be. It looked a lot like a normal eye, in that it had a pupil, and it was ever in motion, both the eye itself and the roving pupil. Below my eye with eyes closed, in the lower centre part of my vision, I watched this wormhole/energy vortex snake its way up to me, then I rode that into the iboga realm. My third eye remained open for at least 24 hours after this, and would seem to be more sensitive following this experience, opening to some degree when I smoked cannabis, when I meditated, or on other psychedelics and prior to sleep. I had some mescaline extract not long after the iboga and my third eye opened again in a really dramatic fashion. This was in no way subtle as experiences go, it was very obvious and very detailed and I don't believe what I was perceiving was illusionary, whatever its basis. This was quite a big thought for me at the time, as prior to this experience I had always been sceptical of the whole 'third eye' thing, I kinda thought it was baseless, new agey stuff. But iboga seemed to demonstrate otherwise, and in a very tangible fashion. I'm not alone either...it is really interesting how many people experience their third eye opening on a flood dose of iboga. I have a friend who practices zazen meditation, and he described an experience of his third eye opening, and for him it was a very powerful experience and he thought he was going mad for a time! His experience sounded remarkably similar to what I experienced on the iboga. Since then I have definitely had sensations of my third eye being active, on pharma, ayahuasca, DMT, on cactus and mushrooms and when stoned and having consumed melatonin prior to sleep. For me I can feel this slight pressure in the centre of my forehead, and there is this definite twisting sensation the tends to accompany this, not unpleasant though. I'm curious as to how sound and meditation could affect this and plan on investigating.

15. Great to see so many of you have experienced this. I too have had the feeling it was almost about to explode, to the point it feels almost unpleasant.

Last edited:
I didn't read all of what you wrote but I just wanted to give credence to the fact/idea that at the very least "sensations" in the middle of the forehead where the pineal gland or "3rd eye" are are something I have also experienced minimally from time to time but nothing crazy like you said.

I DO think that it's very possible to somehow "stimulate" that area but I am really not sure what it means overall, all I know is that I've felt sensations there doing a number of things:

Just today I felt sensations in that area while vaping some chamomile tea in my heralaire.

I've felt sensations there smoking weed.

I've felt sensations there doing Yoga.

I've felt sensations there meditating.

Possibly with other drugs as well.

IMO there is something going on with the idea that stimulation of the pineal gland can occur through various types of psychedelic exploration but I really don't know anything more about what exactly it means.

...I wanted to bump this thread once more, and I may even start a new one, since I?m not sure if people are even still looking at this thread, or perhaps some of the mods have said what they wanted to say and moved on...

I think the issue is, you have a pretty unique point of view about what's going on, and in order for people to comment they have to believe the same things as you.

For instance, I think it's all a bunch of mumbo jumbo and you are potentially experiencing the prodromal phrase of schizophrenia - I'm quite certain, for me, there is no such thing as a third eye. I also don't believe in spirits or souls. In my opinion, you are experiencing the results of cell death, damaged pathways, and a jumpy temporal lobe - and this is your way of stringing your experiences together into making sense.

Does that mean I'm right and you're wrong? Of course not! But that's my opinion, and probably quite a few others' too, and that's why you're not getting too much more feedback, probably.

EDIT: late 2018 Addendum, almost 5 years later:

I just wanted to say, for anyone who might be reading this in the future, that I have changed my views. Spirituality is very real, and while "3rd eye" related content is usually mumbojumbo, there is a bunch of evidence connecting endogenous DMT and the Pineal Gland. I still think OP had a psychotic break, but it felt bad to look at this old post and think that maybe my misguided views in 2014 were potentially discouraging younger readers from looking into spirituality. Happy trails friends :)

Last edited:
I think the issue is, you have a pretty unique point of view about what's going on, and in order for people to comment they have to believe the same things as you.

For instance, I think it's all a bunch of mumbo jumbo and you are potentially experiencing the prodromal phrase of schizophrenia - I'm quite certain, for me, there is no such thing as a third eye. I also don't believe in spirits or souls. In my opinion, you are experiencing the results of cell death, damaged pathways, and a jumpy temporal lobe - and this is your way of stringing your experiences together into making sense.

Does that mean I'm right and you're wrong? Of course not! But that's my opinion, and probably quite a few others' too, and that's why you're not getting too much more feedback, probably.

No, the thread was dead because everyone said what they had to say and so did I. Then, just a couple hours ago, I stumbled across the dmt-nexus forums searching for answers for what might be going on with me, and I found MANY identical reports to what I experienced. Then I just recently made my last post so I wasn't expecting to get a lot of responses right off the bat, but I still think many of the people here won't be looking at this thread anymore, even though I've recently discovered many anecdotal reports that confirm what I am going through is most likely not psychosis but a "malfunctioning" peneal gland and/or third eye activtion & stimulation.

If you go on these forums with people who are more experienced with DMT, you will find that the consensus is that DMT is released through the third eye, and you experience your trip through your third eye.

So, my point of view actually isn't unique to people who have actually done substantual research and experiences involving the third eye. I think if I started saying the third eye was something like a gateway to our spirituality or it gave you special powers then yeah, I could see your point, but I'm not, at this stage I'm just saying that opening my third eye is responsible for these sensations, not psychosis.

Are you saying that everyone who had those experiences listed above is also psychotic? Do you need to have someone from these forums jump in and confirm that they have had experiences too, because I'm sure we can find somebody, in fact, we already have.

Like I said, the reason I mentioned possession and was all worked up over it, is because I had never had a dmt-esque trip of this nature that was this extreme and realistic. I actually don't believe I got possessed anymore, especially noticing that my emotions stayed pretty much the same all things considered, so please stop using this as justification for your views that I am schizophrenic or psychotic in general.

Last edited: