• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Flashback Thread

according to the good drugs guide it *can* happen although I've never heard of it happening.

ANYTHING that causes an intense emotional response can cause flashbacks.

Google "Shell-shock" or "PTSD" (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).

Mushrooms are no different. It is completely possible (however improbable) that you may have an emotional episode on mushrooms (good or bad) that it may effect you after the trip is through, possibly for the rest of your life.

You need to decide for yourself what to do. My own psychedelic use has made me understand some very ugly things about myself and people in general - but I am glad to have recieved these realizations and I believe myself to be a better person for them.

Play carefully. Mushrooms are and can be a total blast, but disrespect them and they will make you their bitch.

If you have respect for yourself, and respect for the mushroom, you should have no problem.

Happy trails.

Why is it that lsd causes flashbacks but no one has ever heard of mushrooms causing them?

Yes, I did. Why is it that LSD likes to cause "emotional episodes" that cause flashbacks, but I no one on this forum has heard of it happening on mushrooms, even though it is possible.

^^^^ as far as i know, acid flashbacks are nothing more than urban myth. I've never heard first hand of anyone having one and neither have any of my friends, or their friends.... etc etc The myth was probably popularised by the anti drug people. It is a pretty catchy phrase

we shouldn't think of "flashbacks" as some kind of condition
because this kind of thinking just leads to prohibition
(i mean...if that's your point, then go ahead, but don't expect kind words from me about the topic)

i agree with TheMMT, in that you shouldn't be looking at your life as sober vs. not-sober. You are always your conscious self, except your perceptions are affected in different ways by different things. Things don't leave permanent marks on your psyche (in the form of flashbacks, or a permanent changed state, or whatever) unless you let them (this can be good or bad).

If you ignore such things, they will probably go away.

The feeling of tripping is not something that you cannot accomplish while sober, it's just not very easy that way. Remember, all drugs simply mimic natural chemicals in the body, so it's probably possible to simulate a trip or whatnot just by raising levels of various neurotransmitters in your brain. I know I can make myself hallucinate at will...

If you're having body rushes or thoughts that scare you, I would recommend (in any time when this happens, tripping or not) just to take some deep breaths and try to keep attention where you need it. Body rushes warrant attention to the body and "mini trips" (dunno what you mean by that) warrant attention to the PRESENT instead of getting lost in your thoughts. Cause thoughts don't make happiness, actions do (well, thoughts can make you happy for a while, but then you need to act on them, or else you put yourself into delusion...i'm there half the time, lol)...I should try to take my own advice more seriously...heh...good luck, anyhow. :)

rave_dave said:
^^^^ as far as i know, acid flashbacks are nothing more than urban myth. I've never heard first hand of anyone having one and neither have any of my friends, or their friends.... etc etc The myth was probably popularised by the anti drug people. It is a pretty catchy phrase

with some folks, there minds, simple play tricks on them!
then they justify there self by placing a definition on it.
Flash-Back!

From there on, when ever they feel that certian way again they call it
a Flashback. And the snow ball gets bigger and bigger as it rolls on!

They are really just memories with attached definitions. we all do that unknowingly! lot of our senses trigger these episodes ie smell, taste, and sight, even unorganized thoughts!

Secret smile: Don't be fooled. Re-read my post from above.
The people claiming that acid / mushrooms / whatever can't cause flashbacks are lying. They are spewing pro-psychedelic propaganda, much like the government spews anti-drug propaganda.

They don't want to admit that what they see as a safe and fun activity can have some very real consequences. It's called cognitive dissonance. Basically, they want to feel secure and safe, so they delude themselves into thinking that their psychedelic use is fun and safe.

You could be a completely normal person, predisposed to mental illness. That illness would never have manifested, except one day you took LSD or mushrooms, and that was the catalyst - The Straw That Broke The Camel's Back - to triggering your mental illness. It happens.

Psychedelics cannot turn you into a hateful awful monster, just as they cannot turn you into a more beautiful, caring person. But they can act as catalysts, as a I said earlier, to these ends.

The one thing you MUST NOT DO is underestimate the mushroom. This factors in to what I was saying about RESPECT.

RESPECT yourself enough to educate yourself on HOW the psychedelics work, how your own brain works, and who and what you are as a person.

RESPECT the mushroom by remembering it was a living being, that it at one point had its own reason for coming into existence, and it's made of the same earth as you. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

If you have respect, you should be fine. I personally would be terrified to eat mushrooms without the afforementioned knowledge. Your Mileage May Vary.

Why is it that lsd causes flashbacks but no one has ever heard of mushrooms causing them?
if i take your post to the letter, then i'm one :)
mushrooms did cause me a flashback.. except it was not a mushrooms flashback

i closed my eyes... and the similarity with 5-MeO-DMT visuals triggered a 5-MeO flashback
and believe me, that was a fucking incredibly real flashback
the 5-MeO experience is so alienly alien that i had been unable to recall it properly so far (apart from the 2 flashbacks in the following nights while sleeping)
but this time on mushrooms, i had it again

I havent had flashbacks, but have defnitely had times where i got the same connected feeling that shroomies give when i was completely sober. Like im walking along and look at a tree and just ahve to stop for a few minutes and look at it.

The MMT... Thanks heaps for your wise reply. I did do lots of reading and learning about the drug before I took them, but at the time I was having a few personal dilemas, so I've had a few bad trips. But as things started getting better for me mentally, and since ive been feeling more confident about who I am, Its a much nicer experience. But I am aware, as it's a fact, that all drug's can damage you one way or another in the long run.

Respect them, they'll respect you ;)

-- Party Safe!

I've tripped hundreds of times with high doses. Never had a flashback. John Lennon had a thousand trips and said he'd never had one either and that he'd never met anyone who had.

You could be a completely normal person, predisposed to mental illness. That illness would never have manifested, except one day you took LSD or mushrooms, and that was the catalyst - The Straw That Broke The Camel's Back - to triggering your mental illness. It happens.

Yeah but you could say this about any human experience. If you're mentally ill your girlfriend leaving you might be the straw that breaks the camels back, a guy cutting you up in traffic, losing your job, your buddy breaking wind in the car on a cold day.

so they delude themselves into thinking that their psychedelic use is fun and safe.

On the contrary, I've searched high and low for some reliable evidence that mushrooms cause harm to sensible people who are not mentally ill. After many years I still can't find any.

I have definitly had some sort of flashback or vision from drugs as i swear i saw little trickles of white light cover my scope of vision. On talking to someone at a party about drugs he said that he had the same thing happen. Has anyone heard of this kind of thing, i was sober but it didn't effect me too much the lights were just there i didn't feel like i was tripping.

peace

often while driving, regardless of time of day ill feel sort of light headed for a second, vision will go blur and my brain will feel like how as if you push the reset button on a xbox and goes backon all this happening in less then a second

I simply get recurring shroom thought processes at random times. Seems to happen less often lately, but every so often I'll suddenly feel much more "aware" of reality for no apparent reason, just like on shrooms.

I used to freak out a little when I'd get flashbacks. Now I've learned to control them...and I even bring them on for a free trip every once in a while!

After I smoke a bowl by myself, I just sit or lay in a comfortable position and space out. The walls start to breathe, the artwork on my walls move...mild visuals and etc. I always snap out of it after 30-45 seconds, or if I start thinking. I can do it all night if I want.

Also, after smoking a bowl, I can lay in bed, close my eyes, and ...physically melt and zap around I guess I'll call it? I'll feel like I'm in a rocking boat, or like parts of my body are getting huge and deflating, or like my whole body is in a spinning around inside a wheel. Sometimes though, this gets waaaay, waaay too intense (I'll even get nauseous!) and I have to open my eyes, turn on the lights, and start repeating mundane facts. I've often found myself falling into a bad trip flashback during this.

Nothing except for marijuana smoked by myself in a completley quiet room OR sleep deprivation (24 hours+) brings on flashbacks for me, so far.

Usually it's just literally a flashback, a one second glimpse at an emotion/feeling of a trip I had. Which leaves me feeling a bit weird and analytical for a few minutes afterward. It's never been a bad feeling though.
Most of the times were when watching TV. Might have to do something with MDMA use as well, that made me sympathize a lot easier with certain things like TV.
I often get to swallow a tear when I watch drama stuff or the news, I didn't have that before. Or maybe I'm just an emokid?