• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone/Buprenorphine FAQ & Megathread v2; 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How long after my last bupe dose can I take an opiate and feel its effects?
A: It depends on what dose of bupe you were taking and how long. The short answer is 36-48 hours, though it may certainly be less, or more than that. Caution should be used when dosing, as you will still have a tolerance but it will not be as high as it was when you first got on bupe.

Q: I'm thinking about switching from methadone to bupe. At what methadone dose should I be when I switch?
A: Most places recommend being at 30-40mgs of methadone when switching. That may be hard to achieve since that level is lower than the recommended therapeutic maintenance level. Also, you'd have to wait at the very least 36-48 hours before your last methadone dose to switch in order to avoid precipitated withdrawal.

Q: Is bupe good for depression/anxiety?
A: Yes, it may help with depression and anxiety. It is not currently prescribed for either and its effectiveness has not been studied for long term use for either. You may be able to get it prescribed off label for depression/anxiety, but its not likely to happen. Here is an article on PubMed about a study on bupe being used to treat depression.

Q: Is bupe recreational?
A: Yes. Although it is rarely the preferred opiate for people who have experience with full agonists, a few people do prefer it to full agonists (i.e. morphine).

Q: Can you overdose on buprenorphine?
A: Yes you can, but typically not by itself. Buprenorphine causes respiratory depression which may lead to death, but typically wouldn't do so in a healthy individual, unless you combined other CNS depressants with buprenorphine, like benzodiazepines, alcohol, barbiturates, and other downers. The person most likely to OD on bupe has a low(if any) tolerance to opiates and may have taken another depressant. A buprenorphine overdose may not be reversed by naloxone(or naltrexone for that matter) due to bupe's higher affinity. Diprenorphine may reverse the overdose, but it is not regularly stocked by emergency personnel or hospitals. If a proper antagonist isn't available, the person suffering an overdose may be maintained with assisted respiration.

Q: Can I still get high on other opiates if I'm on bupe?
A: This depends on what dose of bupe you're on. You will most likely be able to shoot through a low dose of bupe (1-2mgs). Though some might be able to expect the full effects of the opiate you're shooting through with, it is often only partially felt for many people. Even at higher doses, if you take enough of the opiate you may feel it. This is not recommended, as you may overdose before reaching the desired recreational effects. It is better to wait until bupe is no longer effecting you, or to stick the course with bupe treatment.

Q: How come you can IV Suboxone? Isn't naloxone going to put you into withdrawal?
A: No, naloxone will not put you into withdrawal. If you are using heroin or a full agonist, and then use Suboxone, you will go into precipitated withdrawal if you don't wait for regular withdrawal first. If you are otherwise already on buprenorphine, IVing Suboxone will not put you into withdrawal. This is because buprenorphine has greater receptor affinity than naloxone does. There is no functional reason why naloxone is in Suboxone, and for all intensive purposes, Suboxone and Subutex are the same thing - both can be used with any route of administration.

Q: Is Suboxone safe to IV?
A: In essence, you should not shoot Suboxone. Unless you have enough patience and money to afford and use micron filters, Suboxone or Subutex, like any other pill, has risks when IVing. Missing a shot of Suboxone or Subutex may be more detrimental to your health, when compared to shooting out of a sterile ampule, or pure drugs in sterile water. Please read up on injection complications regarding pill based drugs, like Subutex, in the Case Studies thread. It is better, if you are truly intending on IVing buprenorphine (outside of the ampule version Buprenex), to read up on my Micron Filtering Mega Thread and FAQ and then purchase the necessary supplies to help enable a safer shooting experience for yourself.

Q: How good is bupe as an analgesic? What are the pain-killing properties like in comparison to other opiates?
A: This may vary from individual to individual, but what I can say for the average person, you will probably find that it is about half as good feasibly speaking as an analgesic (pain-killing) medication, compared to an equipotent dose of heroin, morphine, oxycodone, and so on. I have talked to several people who are pain patients, and they have a general consensus that while full agonist opiates are much better in the pain killing department, buprenorphine does help considerably when taking off the edge in mild to somewhat moderate pain cases. For people with moderate to heavy or severe pain issues, buprenorphine can do but only so much.

Q: If I am a pain patient, can I utilize buprenorphine?
A: Yes, it is possible. It will be most likely you will combine a compatible drug, like tramadol with it. However if you are going to combine full agonist opiates like morphine, hydrocodone, oxycodone, heroin, and so on, you are probably going to want to take a dose of buprenorphine first, and then once the effects are going, you can use other full agonist opiates on top of buprenorphine. However, you can't take another dose of buprenorphine until the full agonists have left your system. This is why if you're already dependent on full agonist opiates, it's better not to use buprenorphine as well (as you may go into precipitated withdrawal). If you have mild to moderate pain at best, and it flares up sometimes but doesn't at others, then you may be able to combine both buprenorphine and a full agonist on the days you need to, and then on the days you don't, you can stick to strictly buprenorphine.

Suboxone Mega Thread Directory - Other links about buprenorphine in Other Drugs

Alcohol and Suboxone - Alcoholic Solutions for Higher BA With Sublingual Use**
Buprenex - should I IM or IV?
Buprenorphine and Antihistamine IV FAQ
Buprenorphine as a recreational drug?
Buprenorphine dosages commonly prescribed are unnecessarily high
Buprenorphine for depression?
Buprenorphine patches
Buprenorphine withdrawals?
Ketoconazole Potenation of Suboxone
Mephedrone and Buprenorphine
Micron Filtering Mega Thread and FAQ - How to Micron Filter Suboxone
Nasal Administration of Suboxone - Issues
Rectal (Plugging) Buprenorphine
Suboxone in place of Naloxone in the event of an opiate overdose*
Suboxone sublingual film official thread
Subutex has gone generic
Tramadol and Suboxone

Discussion in the Suboxone mega thread goes along quite quickly, so we have a few other threads to promote intermediate/advanced discussion of buprenorphine and its formulations. These threads are meant to divert some of the more advanced discussion that otherwise becomes buried in the mega thread.

If there's another link you think which would go well in this list of related buprenorphine threads, please let me know. We're trying to reserve extra threads on buprenorphine for more intermediary/advanced discussion mostly to reserve the mega thread for a place for questions that can be answered quickly, and the other threads for a place for questions which will otherwise not get the same discussion going on in the mega thread, due to its quick pace.

If you have an idea for a new thread on buprenorphine, it's probably best to figure out by talking to a moderator first to see if it's thread worthy or should be discussed in the mega thread.

*Not Advised. Opiate antagonists are the only safe thing to do in case of an opiate overdose. Please do not give people Suboxone if they have overdosed.
**also known as "6/7's method" or "SixPartSeven's method"

Never realized just how powerful sub really is..My girl was bored the other night and has never done an opiate and was like "hey will your meds get me high?" I was like yeah probably..I shaved a TINY amount off an 8mg pill..I mean TINY...Like a line 1/4 as long and thin as a toothpick (probably smaller actually like 0.5% of the pill) ..And she got tore..She was nodding so hard and doin the dope lean,scratching her nose etc etc..Crazy..Wish it did that to me lol..She did however wake up the next day and puke pretty much all day.

Yeah when i was in high school a lot of people used suboxone to get high. They could buy 1 8 MG pill and get high like 15-20 times from it. I remember the first time i did it i also did a very small line and was surprisingly high from it. Wish i could get fucked up off a bump of suboxone still lol

The inactive ingredients left in the solution can cause damage, but ignoring this, you also have other things to worry about, such as the sterility of your water source, the pills, and the other equipment you use. Tap water can be used, but isn't ideal to use due to the fact that it can be contaminated. You also have to ensure that the pill you are using, the spoon (and whatever else you're using to produce the shot, including cotton, etc) is sterile.

It is possible to still be OK after missing part of a shot, but it's not something you can really ensure without using a micron filter.

Your doctor is misinformed. Benzos with Suboxone is relatively safe and common.

The problem occurs when people take too many benzos at once, this can cause a lot of respiratory depression.

There's no reason why your doctor should have taken away your clonazepam, though.

Yeah my sub doctor said the same thing. He acted like i was going to die or something if i took a xanax while on my sub. It's sad how little knowledge doctors have about the drugs they prescribe.

JB,

Thanks for the reply, I would love your advice on the topic. Please, by all means, take your time in your response. Any words of wisdom you can give are greatly appreciated. If you would prefer to email me or send a PM thats fine too. I can't send PM's yet, as I'm still a "greenlighter". I'm guessing I have to have ~10 posts to PM people.

Thanks again for the help.

-BB

In the interest of harm reduction, I have to say that my doctor warned me that no matter what, DO NOT take benzos with suboxone. So much so that he took away the few klonopins I had left from my prescription. He said we'd have to find a better way to deal with anxiety. I mean, he even said "I realize people relapse, I realize people abuse whatever they have in a time of need....BUT DON'T TAKE BENZOS OF ANY KIND"

I'm not going to change anyone's mind about anything, just hoping y'all will be careful. (just stopped by the bluelight shrine this morning. sobering)

Every death of Buprenorphine that I know of has been with a combination of Bupe & Benzoz + maybe alcohol.
So its the same like with all opioids, u gotta be carefull mixing them with benzoz.

Im on Suboxone 16mg/day + I have Oxazepam also but as it being a pretty weak benzo I can have it as long as I feel I need it.

About to receive some 6-apb pellets (1st time doing it)which reportedly should be somewhat similar to MDA... has anybody tried 6-apb in conjunction with Subutex(2-4mgs-daily)-Wellbutrin (150mgs-daily) Midazolam(...mgs-daily) ... I usually stop the wellbutrin altogether 1 or 2 days before I use stuff like MDMA-Mephedrone-Methylone-MDA etc etc ,I just do this out of common sense really ,not really sure about bupropion´s half-life or/and how it accumulates in one´s system after regular use for a few months etc etc ...thanks to Cap for the Wellbutrin-Bupre advice btw , it´s definitely been having some positive results in my life lately ...

I found MDA went very well with buprenorphine. I have never combined benzos with MDA/MDMA, so I can't comment on what that will be like. I get the sense that people have reported that benzos can dull a psychedelic experience, so keep that in mind for what it's worth.

i know the deaths were in europe and from INJECTING benzo and bupe. i dont understand injecting benzos though. i know they were not using midazolam or flurazepam and that they were most likley using temazepam. but temies are not water soluble, right? i dont get it.

i know the deaths were in europe and from INJECTING benzo and bupe. i dont understand injecting benzos though. i know they were not using midazolam or flurazepam and that they were most likley using temazepam. but temies are not water soluble, right? i dont get it.

Temazepam used to be packaged in solvents other than water in a "gel". This is how people have shot it.

Temazepam has a near 100% oral BA and is really euphoric orally as is, so I wouldn't see the need in injecting it, especially since you can just IV midazolam with just water.

I actually have those 20mgs oval temaz jellies(Normison) here and the liquid I get from those does not look very IV-friendly to me ... awesome benzo when taken orally though, actually the one I currently choose for stim comedowns ...go figure . There´s people injecting Ketamine in high doses along with speedballs ,I´ve even seen people attempting to IV acid and alcohol so ... ime benzos+bupre is a fairly safe combination, my Psychiatrist shares the same opinion btw ... there will always be excesses I guess

I actually have those 20mgs oval temaz jellies(Normison) here and the liquid I get from those does not look very IV-friendly to me ... awesome benzo when taken orally though, actually the one I currently choose for stim comedowns ...go figure . There´s people injecting Ketamine in high doses along with speedballs ,I´ve even seen people attempting to IV acid and alcohol so ... ime benzos+bupre is a fairly safe combination, my Psychiatrist shares the same opinion btw ... there will always be excesses I guess

Ketamine is better IM'd than IV'd for the record.

Alcohol is also horrible on your veins if it isn't diluted properly, so I feel bad for people who have attempted to inject it without diluting it.

Hey James, I notice in most of your posts you tell the person it was hard to understand what they were saying. You seem to struggle alot with your reading comprehension and if you'd like some help with it just let me know, I have some very good online resources that help with comprehension. Don't take any offense to it, it was just something I happened to notice and thought I could help ya out. Just shoot me a PM if you want me to send you some of the online resources I give to my students.

Hey James, I notice in most of your posts you tell the person it was hard to understand what they were saying. You seem to struggle alot with your reading comprehension and if you'd like some help with it just let me know, I have some very good online resources that help with comprehension. Don't take any offense to it, it was just something I happened to notice and thought I could help ya out. Just shoot me a PM if you want me to send you some of the online resources I give to my students.

lol hahahaha,

alot of people dont explain well, also JB has said he doesn't pick up emotion well over the web......

dont bother.....my inablity to read some posts has always been a result of the poster not being able to type correcty, form complete, understandable senences....It has nothing to do with my reading ablilities trust me.

Allthough, alot of poeple that are able to actually type out words and sentences that are understandable to read, still dont make sense sometimes....they just dont say things that are worded correclty so that I really dont know what they are talking about cuz there posts can be very poorly written.
If you want I can refer you to all those posts that have me telling someone I dont know what they are talking about and then you will understand that alot of people just dont know how to type and therefeore it is EXREMELY difficult to decipher there posts. I think that would be much easier and benefit is both alot more instead of you referring me to somone or something that can help my reading.
Yea, it would prove to you that these posts I was responding to were actually poorly written with no grammar whatsoever and consequently someone could give the wrong advice to the poster as a result.....that will show you that I can read quite well....instead of reffering me to a website or person or whatever to "help my reading"...its much better for you to be shown all those instance where I responded to a very unclear post, and maybe then you can stop treating me like I cant read. In fact, YOU do the research on your on, im not gonna waste time showing you all these peoples horribly written posts(alot of which admit that they cant type well at all) just to show you i can read.
I reccommend doing a search for my posts and then you will find the evidence there....good luck.

And also.......talking derogatory to someone as if they cant even fucking read is absolutely rediculous and rude. It really doesnt matter if you were sincere or not, its just plain disrespectfull. I have contributed ALOT more to this website and to all the people who use this website than you. Im not saying your retarded or cant read or anything(like you are apparently trying to tell me), im just saying that I have proven myself ove and over again that I am able to read perfectly fine. Probably better than you....especially because you failed to see thse posts I was talking about and how most of them had horrible grammar and basically posted a bunch of gibberish.

SO, dont ever question my ability to read again please. Thres no need for that anymore, especiall because I have just told you that I can read fine(and im serious when i say im better that you at reading most likely)

Heres a perfect example below me, the first post down.....that post is somewhat undersandable but he does not make it perectly clear reffering to his opiate use, how much suboxone he uses in each dose/day, and a few other very important questions that are needed to compeltely and properly answer his question(s)

Last edited:
I took Suboxone so i didnt have to deal with the heroin withdrawl i had minor withdrawls that probably only wouldve lasted four days and this is the third night i have been on suboxen, only taken 9mg and have 7 left. I took 2mg around 1pm this morning and 1mg a few hours ago. Will taking all 16 make me have suboxone withdrawls? Should I stop and not take anymore tommorow?

Mon I took 2mg at 8pm, Tuesday I took 1mg when I woke up around 12pm and another mg around 3 and then 2mg at 8pm. Today I woke up and took 2mg and then took 1mg a few hours ago.

Last edited:
dont bother.....my inablity to read some posts has always been a result of the poster not being able to type correcty, form complete, understandable senences....It has nothing to do with my reading ablilities trust me.

Allthough, alot of poeple that are able to actually type out words and sentences that are understandable to read, still dont make sense sometimes....they just dont say things that are worded correclty so that I really dont know what they are talking about cuz there posts can be very poorly written.
If you want I can refer you to all those posts that have me telling someone I dont know what they are talking about and then you will understand that alot of people just dont know how to type and therefeore it is EXREMELY difficult to decipher there posts. I think that would be much easier and benefit is both alot more instead of you referring me to somone or something that can help my reading.
Yea, it would prove to you that these posts I was responding to were actually poorly written with no grammar whatsoever and consequently someone could give the wrong advice to the poster as a result.....that will show you that I can read quite well....instead of reffering me to a website or person or whatever to "help my reading"...its much better for you to be shown all those instance where I responded to a very unclear post, and maybe then you can stop treating me like I cant read. In fact, YOU do the research on your on, im not gonna waste time showing you all these peoples horribly written posts(alot of which admit that they cant type well at all) just to show you i can read.
I reccommend doing a search for my posts and then you will find the evidence there....good luck.

And also.......talking derogatory to someone as if they cant even fucking read is absolutely rediculous and rude. It really doesnt matter if you were sincere or not, its just plain disrespectfull. I have contributed ALOT more to this website and to all the people who use this website than you. Im not saying your retarded or cant read or anything(like you are apparently trying to tell me), im just saying that I have proven myself ove and over again that I am able to read perfectly fine. Probably better than you....especially because you failed to see thse posts I was talking about and how most of them had horrible grammar and basically posted a bunch of gibberish.

SO, dont ever question my ability to read again please. Thres no need for that anymore, especiall because I have just told you that I can read fine(and im serious when i say im better that you at reading most likely)

Heres a perfect example below me, the first post down.....that post is somewhat undersandable but he does not make it perectly clear reffering to his opiate use, how much suboxone he uses in each dose/day, and a few other very important questions that are needed to compeltely and properly answer his question(s)

pwned

Status
Not open for further replies.