• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Alcohol Megathread

So, I kind of binge drink when I do drink and all this Covid-19 talk about immune systems has got me wondering about alcohol's deleterious effect on the immune system. Can't go out anywhere and I'm not having people over so me and a mate had a carpark drinking session last night in our building's underground.

Does anyone know by what mechanism alcohol has a negative influence on the immune system?

Probably inhibits interferon production, among other things. I'd recommend decreasing your intake.

Given how tremendously contagious it is, you're likely to catch it regardless of alcohol induced immunosuppression, but you'll have a harder time fighting it and increased risk of pneumonia.

I'm trying to drink less too.

Interferon eh? I don't even know what that is.

Research time!!

Thanks for the response....I am indeed severely curtailing intake as I don't drink alone and right now there is no one to drink with as I think mine and buddy's carpark sessions can't go on again next weekend.

Hi Bluelighters.

How euphoric is alcohol? I have never been a heavy drinker, and I consider their euphoria quite poor. It doesn't even come close to the euphoria of a benzo or even Pregabalin, which causes quite similar effects to alcohol.

I feel a slight euphoria for about 15-30 minutes and then it makes me act confused and silly. Not to mention the hangover if you drink too much.

I get pretty decent euphoria for about an hour from smaller amounts like a beer or two. It's not like taking oxycodone or anything but alcohol seems to provide a solid enough mood lift often times. Before I was used to it it would make me depressed though like almost immediately.

Not much euphoria at all.

In a way its sort of like benzos, the more underlying anxiety you have, the more euphoric it is. That said, I find benzos way more euphoric.

That said i drink every night but am cutting back. Id like to stop entirely.

For me the most enjoyable part is the disinhibition i suppose, but it is a shitty dirty high. Perhaps the most euphoric sensation is the body high/analgesia.

I get pretty decent euphoria for about an hour from smaller amounts like a beer or two. It's not like taking oxycodone or anything but alcohol seems to provide a solid enough mood lift often times. Before I was used to it it would make me depressed though like almost immediately.

Well I hate beer hahaha. It's next to wine the alcohol that causes me the worse hangover.

In a way its sort of like benzos, the more underlying anxiety you have, the more euphoric it is. That said, I find benzos way more euphoric.

I suffer from social anxiety and I have never felt that alcohol helps me too much. In fact, many times it makes me feel more anxious because I don't like to be seen acting drunk. Unlike benzos, where I don't give a shit about everything.

For me, alcohol is far more euphoric than benzos, benzos aren't euphoric at all for me, they just make me not care about stuff, and/or sleep. Alcohol can make me feel really good, but it is really a nasty drug, getting drunk does a lot of damage to your organs and brain.

Alcohol euphoria does not measure up to many hard drugs and it's about as toxic as drugs get, aside from inhalants. It's a shitty drug but can be quite fun.

I have no experience with benzos because I keep reading how fucked the withdrawals are, though alcohol withdrawal is also a bitch.
I do binge drink though like it's my job and....euphoria? Man, like 3/10 with a perfect score being a candyflip or something.

I think what I like about alcohol's effects is that it makes me into a mischievious joker and puts me into a really interesting mindset that I would best describe as everything is a joke/love life. There's not much euphoria though.
Maybe with wine there's a bit more....wine sometimes makes me feel jovial.
I also like the taste of various drinks (Negronis, grin and chronics, various wines, etc) which is another excuse/reason I use to drink.

You want euphoria? Try MDMA. ;)

I used to suffer from pretty bad social anxiety and depression and self-medicated with MDMA and mushrooms which took care of that problem permanently (until I fucked it all up by doing meth). Alcohol is a temporary fix to any problem. Not worth the cost, both financial and physical/psychological, in my opinion. Please don't ask me to defend my own use of it. 🙃

To me alcohol is among the top most euphoric drugs, the only thing I'd really place ahead of it is crack cocaine and of course psychedelics like amanita muscaria and psilocybin can be more euphoric but only if the trip is good. The problem with alcohol is that unless you're young and healthy, the euphoria comes at the price of bitter side effects and is not worthwhile at all. These days I am old and in poor health and can't drink much at all. If I drink more than 2 beers I really pay for it the next days and yes I mean days I usually feel the aftermath of a few beers for 3-4 days. That's most likely due to my history of benzo abuse.

Certainly for me alcohol produces more euphoria than benzos, but this effect is so ephemeral, perhaps the first half hour, something that I feel very similar in its euphoria to alcohol is soma (carisoprodol) but it is even more pleasant ...
Lyrica is definitely more euphoric than alcohol, it lasts for many hours .. alcohol has a very poor euphoria although sometimes it is very fun, like almost everyone, I prefer the more consistent euphoria like mdma or oxy ..

Alcohol carries euphoria when consumed with other people consuming alcohol. 4 out of ten at best. I bet you could graph the drop in euphoria as intoxication increases. (for me anyway)

As a professional drinker that can only stand a couple drinks these days, im glad the side effects started to get more pronounced.

I bet you could graph the drop in euphoria as intoxication increases. (for me anyway)

Interesting....I think my experience would be the exact opposite. 2 pints in I'm like meh.....20 pints in I'm having the laugh of my life, though it's still probably just a 3/10 on the euphoria scale.

As a professional drinker that can only stand a couple drinks these days, im glad the side effects started to get more pronounced.

I'm hoping to graduate to this level of "been there done that, fuck it" fairly soon.

For me its jst social thing.otherwise id rather have a nice opiate high or even weed even tho i dont smoke much anymore. Hehe

In the past 2 years I have gone from having virtually no hangovers and being able to drink frequently to getting nasty hangovers that go on for 2 days sometimes and really paying for it, it sucks. It's probably because of drinking, too.

Alcohol for m brings a decent euphoria, makes me feel good about myself, gives me self confidence and makes me happy and out going ( very sociable ). So for me it does bring euphoria and I lik it, plus I hardly ever get a "babalas". But compared to benzos alone, alcohol is superior ime. But a combo of alc, benzos and opiates is the cream of th crop but I don't advise that to anyone.

Homebrew ( grains & the maximum amount of variable fresh hops) is a very relaxing type of alcohol "euphoria"

I make ginger beer & mead also, but a highly hopped beer is a more enjoyable intoxication

I find alcohol more euphoric than benzos, I find the disinhibition is stronger though that might be because alcohol I use more in a party type setting and benzos in situations I cant act "drunk". Also the body warmth of alcohol is kind of like an opiate sensation on top which is pretty euphoric.

I feel like this is debunked but is there any truth to those different alcohols having different effects theories? I see the guy above me staying that "highly hopped beer is a more enjoyable intoxication" so maybe certain alcohols have different qualities such as euphoria? Its kinda like the precursor theory for the "mehDMA" with all the alcohols being produced from different plants.

is there any truth to those different alcohols having different effects theories? I see the guy above me staying that "highly hopped beer is a more enjoyable intoxication" so maybe certain alcohols have different qualities such as euphoria? Its kinda like the precursor theory for the "mehDMA" with all the alcohols being produced from different plants.

I find that when one becomes a connoisseur of a substance then the effects of different formulations can vary immensely. Initially it all seems the same. With alcohol you just get pissed. With weed you just get stoned. With MDMA you just get mashed. But the more you partake, the more you can appreciate the subtle variations. For me, the effects of spirits, wine, beer and cider are very different. Spirits give me a speed ball type effect - energetic and euphoric with an underlying sedation that gets more pronounced as dosage increases - until you fall over. Wine is like hash - a pleasant, dreamy sensation that gets more pronounced - until you fall over. Beer is more like a buzzy weed - until you fall over. Cider just makes you fall over...