Extreme Metal (Black, Death, Doom)

:{ d. }:

Bluelighter
From misanthropic to pagan-tinged to altar-of-the-horned-worship to grim, kvlt, frostbittenness ...

To furious blasting gored brutality ...

To 2BPM tortured soulcrushing hymns of despair and whatnot

How many of you here are going to go deaf by the time you're middle-aged? ;) What're a few of your favorite bands?

Mine are: diSEMBOWELMENT, Deathspell Omega, Weakling, Inquisition, Drudkh, Corrupted, Blut Aus Nord, Grand Belial's Key, Lurker of Chalice, Gorguts, Immolation, Benighted In Sodom, Last Days of Humanity, Taake, Nortt, Arghoslent, and too many others to name.

white Chapel, Conducting from The grave. i love that type of stuff, i also dig the melvins musugaH SORRY FOR BAD SPELLING. IM GOING TO SEE BETWEEN THE buried and me sorry for caps....@_@

Although I'm not such a huge fan of grind-core, doom metal or black metal (now I just sound really picky), my favourite band is All shall Perish.. they rock! :D

Im really only into sludge and crust. Grief Dystopia bands like that.

i rarely listen to black and death metal, i used to listen to tons of it but i found it put me in a bad mood.
some of the best albums though are:
immortal - pure holocaust
morbid angel - altars of madness
marduk - opus nocturne
deicide - legion

doom i listen to a lot, but pretty much only traditional and stoner doom.
electric wizard put out some of my favorite albums of all time, especially dopethrone.
trouble is a great band.
also sleep is awesome.

Jungle Rot
Acid Bath - and any of their offshoots
Dimmu Borgir (sometimes)
iwrestledabearonce
Crowbar
Soilent Green

basically Louisiana sludge and then some others thrown in there (iwrestledabearonce is also from LA)

Im really only into sludge and crust. Grief Dystopia bands like that.

hell yeah. I'm wearing my Dystopia shirt right now! Also I love powerviolence, which is pretty extreme even if it isnt truly metal..bands like spazz, infest, plutocracy. In terms of metal I like black metal and viking metal, those bands just seem to throw in alot of extra stuff like random instruments and choirs, and I love stuff like that sine I have a short attention span. Plus, many of them (Bathory, Vintersorg, Einherjer, etc) are pretty melodic and a surprising amount of people can get into 'em even if they dont normally listen to metal.

Of the artists i would categorise as Extreme (not things like Opeth), i guess stuff like Burzum, Darkthrone, Emperor, Falkenbach, Ikuinen Kaamos, Mirrorthrone, Nokturnal Mortum, Sad Legend, Solefald, Sorgsvart, ULVER, Vintersorg... Got gbs and gbs of black metal, but idk not really into it much anymore, my wonderfully eclectic taste has ventured away from it lol

Most reccomended 'Extreme Metal' artist would have to be Traumatic Voyage, most deranged, psychotic disturbing thing ive ever listened to and all his albums are about his psychedelic journeys haha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KK9kccXpg0 . Song names like: Tripnosis, Eternal Mind Voyager, Purified Ego, Metaphysical and Concentric Trance haha

Oddly I can't stand most of it, except for a few artists who I absolutely love. I believe because they have a bit of a "grindcore"/stoner-metal element to it, as well as political/reasonable lyrics

#1 is Napalm Death, who I bestow with the title of best metal band of all time (as far as overall level of skill/speed and contribution to humanity through their amazing post-political lyrics).
Also a Bolt Thrower fan, even though most of their songs sound the same, and still love the classic 6 Feet Under (tho was never a Cannibal Corpse fan).

Otherwise, I gotta have lyrics I can at least understand parts of without looking up, even though I love the metal of metal regardless ;)

I believe my very first introduction (age 12 or 13) was to Metanoia, a very odd Australian Christian metal band. If i recall two of the members were fat/older husband + wife.
when me and my best friend were into extreme music just for the extremity of it, we once discovered a death metal band with the best name ever, Scraping foetus off the wheel. and actually they sounded better than a lot of death metal.

About 3 hours ago I randomly discovered my old copy of Mudvayne's L.D.50, hidden on an old hard-drive I recently recovered. not really the same category, as they progressed to fairly mainstream metal, but their first album was pretty extreme. Forgot how good it is until now, don't think I'd listened to them for about 7 years before today.

Last edited:
i do NOT like any of the bands that sound like tea

moonspell
celtic frost
etc

Early Emporer, Satyricon, Absu, Opeth, Arcturus, Borknagar, Darkthrone, Mayhem, Marduk, Dark Tranquility, Enslaved, Soilwork, The Haunted..... and I could go on...

hell yeah. I'm wearing my Dystopia shirt right now! Also I love powerviolence, which is pretty extreme even if it isnt truly metal..bands like spazz, infest, plutocracy.

POWER VIOLENCE & HARDCORE BABY!!!!!!!!

hatred surge (!!!), despise you, charles bronson, mk ultra, crossed out, no comply, repulsion, cult ritual (8o), vile gash, apartment 213, issei sagawa, breathe heavy, men's interest, pissed jeans, waste management (!!!), wiccans (!!!), nazi dust, surf nazis must die, back stabbath, akkolyte, so many more...

it's a lifestyle motherfuckaaaa :!

BEHEMOTH,
NILE,
VITAL REMAINS,
obscura,
belphegor,
satyricon,
BEHEMOTH,
dark funeral,
incantation,
BEHEMOTH,
despised icon,
BEHEMOTH

hell yeah. I'm wearing my Dystopia shirt right now! Also I love powerviolence, which is pretty extreme even if it isnt truly metal..bands like spazz, infest, plutocracy. In terms of metal I like black metal and viking metal, those bands just seem to throw in alot of extra stuff like random instruments and choirs, and I love stuff like that sine I have a short attention span. Plus, many of them (Bathory, Vintersorg, Einherjer, etc) are pretty melodic and a surprising amount of people can get into 'em even if they dont normally listen to metal.

Fuck yeah I think the best extreme genres are the ones that off-shooted from punk.

I listened to a lot of metal when I was a teenager. I've stopped since then. Honestly I blame cannabis and LSD. Metal is just too fast and hard for being stoned. I still like to listen to some Cannibal Corpse when I work out though. Your dead child/ I defile/ Necropedophile. It's fucking poetry.

Ps. Considering that Metal evolved from blues and shitty fucking genres like hardcore came from punk (not that punk isn't awesome, I'm rather fond of post punk too) I think the genres that came from punk fail in comparison to things that came from metal. Punk came after metal and it developed from rock which developed from blues, it's so disconnected from metal that I don't get whet you're saying.

Last edited:
Ps. Considering that Metal evolved from blues and shitty fucking genres like hardcore came from punk (not that punk isn't awesome, I'm rather fond of post punk too) I think the genres that came from punk fail in comparison to things that came from metal. Punk came after metal and it developed from rock which developed from blues, it's so disconnected from metal that I don't get whet you're saying.

yup. wont bother reiterating you said flawlessly mate ;)