Your Productions Go Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is the first vocal I've recorded in years, I still need a lot of work on doing it proper . . . hip hop track

I know the lyrics need work on the technical side . .. again, this is just a first draft demo . . . constructive criticism is always welcome though. =D

. . . this one, on top of needing technical recording work, I think I'm going to extend and add another verse . . . I don't know though, cause its already almost three minutes . . . maybe make another verse for an extended remix though . . . =D

Want You

LoFi Play
HiFi Play
Download

. . . again, comments and constructive critisms well received.

two other instrumental tracks . . . pretty chill . . . probably not gonna stay instrumental, but anybody following the thread can see how long it has taken me to get the nerve up to record and post any of my lyrics work, lol . . . so unless I find and hook up with a really talented singer or rapper, you may not hear much more out of me lyrically for a while . . . or it may just be the start, lol . . .

anyways, the two instrumental . . .

earlymorning

LoFi
HiFi
Download

Insignifigance

LoFi
HiFi
Download

Last edited:
Rasclatt--Cured --->I really like the pads at the start, I like the intro . . . the drum patterns are pretty nice, a bit stiff for my likings though . . . you quantize? I'm also a fan of more natural sounding drums most of the time, but again, that's just personal preference, nothing wrong with them . . . I really dig the cuts on the vocal sample or stab there . . . very nice. :D The real high-pitched synth line that comes in around three minutes kept me listening . . . just as it was starting to get just a bit monotonous, the change up . . . nicely timed . . .

DexterMeth--Roadkill ---> wow . . . that's interesting to say the least . . . do I detect a new genre here? IDM country? lol . . . its cool though . . . its out there, which I like . . . and there is more going on than you would think at first listen . . . weird, but pretty cool.

Aliens_99--People Pt. 3 - The Superego --->The intro to this is really dope . . . I fuckin love ambient shit like this . . . this totally reminds me of some of Badalamenti's work on the Lost Highway soundtrack . . . the muffled samples and keys that come in at like 1:15 are sick . . . there aren't enough people that do music like this, let alone do it well . . . this moves along as well as any ambient I've heard in a long time, IMHO . . . OOOOOHHHHHH . . . that change up that comes in around 2:30 is fuckin IIIILLLLLLLLLLLLL . . . I'm liking this track more and more the longer it goes . . . those high pitched warps are fuckin dope man . . . this is really an ill track . . . seriously nice work man. =D

normal heights - dun
i surely wasn't expecting this. it's definitely not my kinda groove as far as an electronic beat goes. to me it sounded like the music that played in the initial menu screen on some old SNES of genesis video games. the change at 1:00-1:05 and the resulting rhythm lasts entirely too long and sounded out of place with the rest of the song's synths. not to mention it made me feel like i had entered the game's loading screen now...Where's teh game to go along with this one? D- because it still took talent to at least operate your production software correctly, even though should the program ever become animated, it would surely smack you one for such use of it in this way. please never reproduce something like this.

normal heights - spacetime gatoraid
although it sounds a bit jazzy to me, i suppose you could call it electronic. i like the beat, although it doesn't ignite in my emotions the normal response i get with more common electronic beats. where this song excels is in the simplicity that your synths rhythms' have been utilized. simple, similar note runs, but a variety of sounds that is definitive of electronic music. in perfecting/expanding this song i would suggest you:
  1. use a more synthetic sounding beat. keep the same rhythm, but change your drumkits and kick the tempo up a few BPM.
  2. use whatever formula you did with version one to spawn the many synths-sort of like shading in art-, but in the remix you might try to make the entire loop of this rhythm longer, seek a total of something like 4-8 bars for the entire synth loop to run.
  3. give the song identity with some defining part, i.e. a recognizable/catchy melody or bassline, a fresh new utilization of some old machine to produce some warped and distorted effects
  4. and finally make it longer by at least 300%.
    [/list=1]
    C+ because you are definitely onto something here, but until you actually tap into the potential of this song and write it in entirety-the song screams it has more to offer than can be done in 1:31-it's still a song that sounds like a winner, but isn't because it doesn't finish what it barely started.

my first upload...
    dj.appeal - MLBK

Last edited:
dj.appeal said:
normal heights - dun
i surely wasn't expecting this. it's definitely not my kinda groove as far as an electronic beat goes. to me it sounded like the music that played in the initial menu screen on some old SNES of genesis video games. the change at 1:00-1:05 and the resulting rhythm lasts entirely too long and sounded out of place with the rest of the song's synths. not to mention it made me feel like i had entered the game's loading screen now...Where's teh game to go along with this one? D- because it still took talent to at least operate your production software correctly, even though should the program ever become animated, it would surely smack you one for such use of it in this way. please never reproduce something like this.

normal heights - spacetime gatoraid
although it sounds a bit jazzy to me, i suppose you could call it electronic. i like the beat, although it doesn't ignite in my emotions the normal response i get with more common electronic beats. where this song excels is in the simplicity that your synths rhythms' have been utilized. simple, similar note runs, but a variety of sounds that is definitive of electronic music. in perfecting/expanding this song i would suggest you:
  1. use a more synthetic sounding beat. keep the same rhythm, but change your drumkits and kick the tempo up a few BPM.
  2. use whatever formula you did with version one to spawn the many synths-sort of like shading in art-, but in the remix you might try to make the entire loop of this rhythm longer, seek a total of something like 4-8 bars for the entire synth loop to run.
  3. give the song identity with some defining part, i.e. a recognizable/catchy melody or bassline, a fresh new utilization of some old machine to produce some warped and distorted effects
  4. and finally make it longer by at least 300%.
    [/list=1]
    C+ because you are definitely onto something here, but until you actually tap into the potential of this song and write it in entirety-the song screams it has more to offer than can be done in 1:31-it's still a song that sounds like a winner, but isn't because it doesn't finish what it barely started.

my first upload...
    dj.appeal - MLBK

1. THanks for the input...seriously. I like constructive criticism...For your info...im using the most bottom of the line gear you could imagine...A 10 year old casio $80 keyboard. And these are just ideas...i would hardly call them songs....hence the short time......i just got REason3.0 so i have A LOT to learn.....I also posted in the wrong forum....i meant to actually post in non-electronic....cause i play mostly rock/folk, and the eletronic stuff is more hybrid....

Yeah...all my stuff needs to go more indepth...etc....like i said...just idea....I call them shoebox demos....Like postit notes....then go back later and combine different post it notes, mix and match, use higher-end gear...do 100 takes on one track if i need to. I literally ran through these songs in 1 or 2 takes for each track....the sampling, if any was present was from holding a cheap mic up to a radio or TV!

Aside from all this, Im not sure if you said this too, but you will know what i am talking about....for electronic music, im still in the early stages of working on single sections of the song....and just looping them for a random amount of time......transitions into other areas is DEFINATELY what i need to work on.....and over all smoothing things out......but this is when i decide to finalize things......i have so many ideas, i can never find the time to finalize and produce a 100percent finished CLEAN track......cause i'll come up with another idea for anotehr song or whatever, and just save what i was working on and start something else.......i actually think this approach is beneficial to me, cause learning how to polish stuff up and make final masters isnt that hard once you know how to use your gear like your own voice.....it's the ideas that are most important...no?

On a scale of achievment and creationism, between 1-10, im still in the 3-4 young childhood range.

im gonna check out your stuff now....will report back on it later.

thanks

EDIT - yeah right. I like the idea of Dun a lot. And i didnt use any software...I used a cheap digitech digital recorder with a cheap effects processor...not bad for such crappy gear....and its just a train of though, kind of idea...not a song...i like it a lot.
    Dont get me wrong, i like criticism more than "good job dude", but the 1:00-05 part makes complete sense....smooth it out in a later version, and its a transitional ending to sends you over nicely to the fade out.....its like the song had something to say, then the 1min part starts tripping and imploding and folding inwards and outwards on itself, into oblivion....

Last edited:
DJ.appeal

MJBK -

A+ quality in the engineering department....quality timmings, delays, repeats, timestretching, fading, dither, build-ups, fallouts, and all the synths just sound plain GOOD...like you were using a $1000 keyboard or something....software synths continue to amaze me beyond amazement.....aside from this though.....lacking any real melody that sets it out from the million other electro COMPOSITIONS out there. Sounds a lot like a composition you would hear if you were listening to a demo that came along with REason or something...but a little better...extra elements...more complex. But this is comming from someone that is pretty damn new to the genre....im fascinated by it....will never leave the rock/blues, alternative genres...but am DEFINATELY getting into this. To tell you the truth, i havent heard enough electronic to judge your song's "melody".....do eletronic composers even really aim for this as much as the other elements? ...cause there's SO many variables that goes into this kind of music.....it's almost like a melody comes 2nd, and doesnt even really matter.....it's almost as if you composers are presenting the study a stretching a plethora of different variables into the neverending to be continued.

You should raise the overall volume of the composition....just so more people with all different kind of audio setups can crank this up low and hear all the elements as intended.

I really like how you sampled that human voice, and what you did to it with different modes of attacks, time stretching, rapid delays, sinking reverbs...

About Spacetime Gatoraid...although this goes for any of my electronic stuff....yeah the drums need to be completely reamped in my opinion....just take into consideration what a piece of shit setup i was using....an $80 keyboard thats easily 10 years old....no software synth like Reason and the likes....but i am working on that.......

I got another composition i would like you to hear, that was made around the same time as SpacetimeG, and would like to get your critique/criticism on it....Try not to judge the obvious as much on this one, still do it, but i know what the flaws are now, tell me what you think of the concept....but still be as constructive as you would like... you have truely been very informative...thank you.

PS - complexity doesnt always = good...and simplicity doesn't always = bad. I think i takes more skill to make something REALLY simple that people really like. I have yet to do this...but i really believe in this idea...though not to do it all the time...you dont want to do anything the same every time...redundancy is boring.

Can you please critique the following 2 songs? More of hybrid than pure electronic...but people here, specifically you, critique and analyze the material like a pro...instead of "yeah dude! awesome." Anyways...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/6/normalheightsmusic.htm

Listening to some of the stuff in here...i have a long ways to go...but it's work and engineering i look forward to.

keep in mind i'm still not using softsynths and nice hightech programs like Cubase, Native, Reason...just a simple sequencer and a keyboard, cheap effect processor, and guitar and mic. LOL, im using mic recording for it all..no line in's, as i dont have a setup to permit that right now...and a cheap mic at that.
DexFUG it. I just spent the last 4 hours uploading like 30 songs.

Last edited:
^Check out the 2 songs i just mentioned then....im listening to yours now...ill report back in a few.

So do you just do sampling? I dont mean that in a negative way...just curious...I really like your stuff. Honestly. Nothing wrong with it so far...

EDIT#3 - "Xanadu" very sick!! Velvet underground sampling! so fucking sick! Im saving that shit! ..eh i can only save the stream....pm me with a link to save this song sometime...i love this...VU is one of my favorite bands man.
EDIT#4 - 3minPopSong(Remix) that was very good. Is that your voice singing? It's good...And do you play the piano on it, or did you sample?
EDIT#5 - What went wrong.....this is my favorite right here...fucking sick transitions...so avant garde...jazzy, trippityhop, acid jazzy, on dont know what to call it...but its fucking sick...you are my main influence now...thanks man. (Though i will still always play rock, folk, punk, blues as well)
EDIT#6 - Qwalli Meditation....DAMN! I already like Raga music on its own...this is fucking nuts man! you are such a good sampler/arranger...you're really creative...you're like my big brother now....i seriously hope you are older than me...cause if not, i am way behind.
EDIT#7 - Woke up this morning, and this song was fucking sick...are the bongos sampled or did you do them? This is so cool. The old mixed with the new. Percussion that could have been from ancient times, and modern day electric drum kits...a really well suited blues voice bawling away with the futuristic synths weaving and droning through....and you even put the old record sound in....nice. Little elements of crawling loops comming silently and cunnningly from the side.

Conclusion:
What kind of drugs do you do? fuck your compositions are good. I need to learn a lot of shit..hopefully you guys can help me out....i have the creativity...just lack the knowhow of all the software.....and need to get a really nice keyboard. Nice job man!

Sn2 said:
Some worthless beats (hip hop). I'm just starting out, really have no clue what I am doing technically, so be gentle!!

Oh, stfu...you know that shit is off the hook.

Last edited:
Dex, do you ever sleep?! =D Heh, I'm the same way.

Thanks a lot for listening to every single track!! Geez, I really appreciate the comments. Yes, unfortunately I don't play any instruments and all of those tracks are made on my desktop using Acid Pro 4 (some w/ 5) and samples I take from CDs and mp3s. I really don't know much about actual music production aside from that program. I just kind of mess around with making beats in my spare time.

You have heaps of music on your page! The newest tracks definately sound a whole lot different from when I last listened to your work (jesus, I'm really horrible at giving critiques and advice, sorry). A lot of your stuff reminds me of Pavement and Lou Reed. I REALLY like that little accoustic number at the end of "2C-T-2 Keyboard." I think you might be onto something with those folksy, rhythmic guitar melodies. I wish I were a musician, so I could give you better advice in regard to songwriting/structure/all that stuff.

I'll update this post later when I have time to listen to more of your stuff and actually put some serious thought into a reply. I gotta run.

Last edited:
^Dude, fuck it.. You're such a good arranger and sampler...people like you are needed in music production in my honest opinion. I would seriously like to here what you could do to some of my songs.....you can rip em apart and combine with others and do whatever to them....Seriously, if you have the time and are intersted....do a fatty remix of one of my songs with your kickass style. I'm not sure how you are going to save one of my mp3's but if you know how...do it....i would feel honored... you have a lot of talent man.

This is a weird, grimey garage cover version of Rage Against The Machine's Take the Power Back that was done by me and the_witchdoctor . . . he did the drums, I did the vocals, the rest of the sounds and the mix down . . . its just a rough draft, but I think its alright . . . comments?

Take The Power Back

Lofi Play
Hifi Play
Download

im searching though this thread, but its uber long. havent found what im lookin for

could anyone please PM me with some websites with free sound fx samples? in particular im trying to get some birds chirping or more specifically seagulls making whatever you call seagull noises. i prolly will forget to check this, so pretty pls pm me if u know any. thx.

Negative said:
This is a weird, grimey garage cover version of Rage Against The Machine's Take the Power Back that was done by me and the_witchdoctor . . . he did the drums, I did the vocals, the rest of the sounds and the mix down . . . its just a rough draft, but I think its alright . . . comments?

Take The Power Back

Lofi Play
Hifi Play
Download

yea I like that, where did you get the acapella or did you do some mastering on it or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.