• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

TDS Your Favorite Quotes; Vs "I Have a Dream"

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

Confine yourself to the present.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

Forward, as occasion offers. Never look round to see whether any shall note it... Be satisfied with success in even the smallest matter, and think that even such a result is no trifle.

Marcus Aurelius<3

“You are a divine being. You matter, you count. You come from realms of unimaginable* power and light, and you will* return to those realms.”
– Terence McKenna RIP

i like that...

*requires faith in more than what you acknowledge to be real and *faith that what you think is made your reality.

_________
Inhale Patience
Exhale Compassion

_________
excerpt from an article on utilizing courage as a skill:
"The U.S. senator and onetime prisoner of war John McCain has defined courage as a brief, singular occurrence: “that rare moment of unity between conscience, fear, and action, when something deep within us strikes the flint of love, of honor, of duty, to make the spark that fires our resolve.” This definition conjures up an image of the lone hero who—instinctively, spontaneously, and against all odds—suddenly takes charge and stands up for virtue."
source

=D

strike the flint of love !

Popularity never meant much to me, since my teenage years anyway, It may be alluring, but as far as I'm concerned, I'd rather have a few people surround me that I get on with, that respect me (and vice-versa), rather than deal with the tedious, energy-wasting flocks of admirers that only like me for what they interpret me to be; through what I've sold them, when I wanted to be liked, so much that I could not stand to face myself, as I am.
~Anon
<3

When Voltaire was on his deathbed a priest came to him and said, “You should renounce the devil,” and Voltaire replied, “This is no time to be making enemies.”

“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.” – Horace Mann

“Don’t forget to love yourself.” – Soren Kierkegaard

"Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind." - Bertrand Russell

“I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.” - Mark Twain

“Many people die at twenty five and aren't buried until they are seventy five.” - Benjamin Franklin

“When you have once seen the glow of happiness on the face of a beloved person, you know that a man can have no vocation but to awaken that light on the faces surrounding him. In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. And that makes me happy. For it says that no matter how hard the world pushes against me, within me, there’s something stronger – something better, pushing right back.” – Albert Camus

“A person's life purpose is nothing more than to rediscover, through the detours of art or love or passionate work, those one or two images in the presence of which his heart first opened.” – Albert Camus

“Smooth and smiling faces everywhere, but ruin in their eyes.” – Jean-Paul Sartre

“Love is the expression of the one who loves, not of the one who is loved. Those who think they can love only the people they prefer do not love at all. Love discovers truths about individuals that others cannot see.” – Soren Kierkegaard

1009834_10201588945353832_947001412_n.jpg

@ Tom288 Loved those quotes. :)

Ideals are dangerous things. Realities are better. They wound, but they're better.
~ Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a weary world.

~William Shakespeare

If we can really understand the problem, the answer will come out of it, because the answer is not separate from the problem.
~Jiddu Krishnamurti

When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives means the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand.
~Henri Nouwen

<3

Last edited:
“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~Marilyn Monroe

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

the-dalai-lama-when-asked-what-surprised-him-most-about-humanity-answered-man-because-he-sacrifices-his-health-in-order-to-make-money.jpg

And kid, you’ve got to love yourself. You’ve got to wake up at four in the morning, brew black coffee, and stare at the birds drowning in the darkness of the dawn. You’ve got to sit next to the man at the train station who’s reading your favorite book and start a conversation.

You’ve got to come home after a bad day and burn your skin from a shower. Then you’ve got to wash all your sheets until they smell of lemon detergent you bought for four dollars at the local grocery store. You’ve got to stop taking everything so damn personally. You are not the moon kissing the black sky.

You’ve got to compliment someones crooked brows at an art fair and tell them that their eyes remind you of green swimming pools in mid July. You’ve got to stop letting yourself get upset about things that won’t matter in two years. Sleep in on Saturday mornings and wake yourself up early on Sunday. You’ve got to stop worrying about what you’re going to tell her when she finds out. You’ve got to stop over thinking why he stopped caring about you over six months ago. You’ve got to stop asking everyone for their opinions.

Fuck it. Love yourself, kiddo. You’ve got to love yourself.

~Unknown via Writer's Vineyard

<3

Decide in your heart of hearts what really excites and challenges you, and start moving your life in that direction. Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight turns you into who you are tomorrow, and the day after that. Look at who you want to be, and start sculpting yourself into that person. You may not get exactly where you thought you'd be, but you will be doing things in a profession you believe in. Don't let life randomly kick you into the adult you don't want to become.

Chris Hadfield (Commander, Expedition 35, International Space Station)

999434_404902356303071_2089521660_n.jpg

(Ignore the voting thing at the top. It's for our Aus elections)

Last edited:
“How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving,
and tolerant of the weak and the strong, because someday in your life, you will have been all of these.”

~ George Washington Carver

Now the hour bends down and touches me
with its clear, metallic ring:
my senses tremble. The feeling forms: I can-
and I grasp the malleable day.

Nothing was complete before I saw it,
all becoming stood still.
My eyes are ripe, and whatever they desire
approaches like a bride.

Nothing is too small: against a gold background
I paint it large and lovingly
and hold it high, and I will never know
whose soul it may release...

Rilke.

The First Thing You Know by Lee Marvin

God made the mountains
God made the sky
God made the people
God knows why

He fixed up the planet
As best as He could
Then in come the people
And gum it up good

The first thing you know

They civilized the foothills
And everywhere He put hills
The mountains and valley below

They come along and take 'em
And civilize and make 'em
A place where no civilized
Person would go

The first thing you know
The first thing you know

They civilize what's pretty
By puttin' up a city
Where nothin' that's
Pretty can grow

They muddy up the winter
And civilize it into
A place too uncivilized
Even for snow

The first thing you know

They civilize left
They civilize right
Till nothing is left
Till nothing is right

They civilize freedom
Till no one is free
No one except
By coincidence, me

The first thing you know

The boozer's in prison
And the criminally isn't
And only the rascals have dough

When I see a parson
I gotta put my arse in
A wagon that follows the tail of a crow

The first thing you know
I pick up a blow!
The first thing you know

Last edited:
You give but little when you give of your possessions.
It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.

Kahlil Gibran

A person with Ubuntu is open and available to others, affirming of others, does not feel threatened that others are able and good, for he or she has a proper self-assurance that comes from knowing that he or she belongs in a greater whole and is diminished when others are humiliated or diminished, when others are tortured or oppressed.

and

One of the sayings in our country is Ubuntu - the essence of being human. Ubuntu speaks particularly about the fact that you can't exist as a human being in isolation. It speaks about our interconnectedness. You can't be human all by yourself, and when you have this quality - Ubuntu - you are known for your generosity. We think of ourselves far too frequently as just individuals, separated from one another, whereas you are connected and what you do affects the whole world. When you do well, it spreads out; it is for the whole of humanity.

~ Desmond Tutu

"Develop an interest in life as you see it; the people, things, literature, music - the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself."

"Imagination is the voice of daring. If there is anything Godlike about God it is that. He dared to imagine everything."

"Every man has his own destiny: the only imperative is to follow it, to accept it, no matter where it leads him."

"True strength lies in submission which permits one to dedicate his life, through devotion, to something beyond himself."

"If we are always arriving and departing, it is also true that we are eternally anchored. One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things."

"Why are we so full of restraint? Why do we not give in all directions? Is it fear of losing ourselves? Until we do lose ourselves there is no hope of finding ourselves."

"I have no money, no resources, no hopes. I am the happiest man alive."

"If there is to be any peace it will come through being, not having."

"Life has to be given a meaning because of the obvious fact that it has no meaning."

"One of the reasons why so few of us ever act, instead of react, is because we are continually stifling our deepest impulses."

"Plots and character don't make life. Life is here and now, anytime you say the word, anytime you let her rip."

~Henry Miller

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bump as well

Here is something I wrote for myself when I was trying to break out of my comfort zone, I hope it might help some people!

Trust Yourself

• The most important thing that overarches everything is to trust yourself! Your reality is exactly as you decide to perceive and design it. You are the maker of your universe. Believe this and you will achieve and feel everything you want.
• There is no place for negativity in your mind. Your brain is your kingdom, treat it well and make it flourish.
• Find serenity in chaos. Do not look for refuge and comfort, make uncertainty, risk and discomfort your home.
• Failure is positive. It is ok to make mistakes. They are learning experiences and opportunities to arise stronger.
• It is Okay to be afraid. Do not let it hinder you though, go out of your skin and attack fear with everything in your arsenal.
• Know that you are your only enemy. You are only as powerful and limitless as you allow yourself to be. The only real barriers are the barriers that you put up yourself.

There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.

Read more at

John Lydon

You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth

William Purkey