TDS Your Favorite Quotes; Vs "I Have a Dream"

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too, was a gift." -Mary Oliver

...as far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being...
- C.G. Jung

As a fire enthusiast, it was the use of the word "kindle" that made me love this quote. I have kindled many a fire into being. It takes faith, skill, patience, sensitivity, and breath, among other things, to get a fire started. It takes the same to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.

Being positive is like going up a mountain.
Being negative is like sliding down a hill.
A lot of times, people want to take the easy way out"

-Chuck D

^ True in a way. However this is very simple and clichéd - it doesnt always apply in the real world/existence.
I mean you no offence and of course, this motivation is needed but considering the negative shit, a good friend of mine has experienced lately from so called 'positive' people, I am posting this. People mean well but sometimes, our own righteousness causes others to stay stuck or just galvanises our own sense of importance -neither of which, in my opinion anyway, are worth much more than bullshit.

*BTW this has no relation to the above poster's quote but is just an unrelated quote based on recent events experienced* ;)

What bothers me is peoples lack of compassion of those stuck in addiction. To be misunderstood by those; who in their plight to avoid it, escape it but yet to have no thought for those; who for fear of contagion, may bring them down. Consider how 'happy' or 'positive' you are, if it really is positive?... maybe you should be in such a balanced place that you would have enough mind-centredness or balance, that you should consider those who aren't in the same place one is. Enforcing a 'mode of being' on someone, is akin to what fanatics - of any kind of belief, do. It is an imposition of your 'answer' on to others, it is judgemental, thoughtless and albeit, true within the context of your discourse - is nowhere near the truth, for those stuck in different circumstances than what you are.

No doubt, society is a tough dictator and requires us to be tough, in order to succeed but it is not the WHOLE truth. NEVER fool yourself into believing that your truth is the all-encompassing answer. This is the height of arrogance and is therefore foolish and being a fool, I know about such things. Be kind, be forgiving because only an understanding of the things that threaten you in life, are the things that will, one day, save you.

Stay open to that, never forget it.

-me

Last edited:
“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
― Terry Pratchett,

“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

“Love and hunger rule the world. Ergo, to rule the world, one must master love and hunger.” - Yevgeny Zamyatin

“Better to be strong than pretty and useless.”
― Lilith Saintcrow, Strange Angels

I have found wisdom is really easy to find.. all you have to do is make as many mistakes as possible and take as many wrong turns on as many misguided paths as you can find to get lost on. Then just remember all the things you learn.

~Neversickanymore

^ love that, nsa. Have you ever listened to this? The ability to fail being one of our best assets. I love when things get turned inside out and revealed as something completely different from the limited view our perceptions handed us.

here's one for all the writers out there:
"A writer is someone for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people."
=D
Thomas Mann

"When I was in solitary retreat, I knew that I was together with all sentient beings in innumerable worlds. Even though I seemed to be alone in a small, enclosed room, actually I was in company with many ants who found their way inside, and there were many insects around the hut who created all kinds of sounds in the evening. When I opened the Sutras, people thousands of years in the past were talking to me. How could I feel lonely? Some people think I must feel lonely being a monk without any wife or children. Not at all. I have the 5 precepts and the 10 Virtuous Deeds as my wife, and my children are all the people who I have developed a karmic affinity with and who call me Shih-fu. It is only those pitiable people who enclose themselves and cannot establish a relationship with the outside world who feel lonely. If you keep yourself enclosed, even if you live among thousands of people you will still feel very lonely. However, if you keep yourself open, then even if you are living alone, you will still have a very full life. So open your mind and treat everyone as your intimate, virtuous friend."
- Shih-fu Sheng-ye

“Don't be afraid of your fears. They're not there to scare you. They're there to let you know that something is worth it.”
― C. JoyBell C.

^ Yes, yes. Great film right there!

Reminds me of...

"Everything we ever did, we did with the best of intentions." - Dan from Candy

^ This is an amazing film that all TDSers should watch (it does contain triggers, though)

“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be"- Douglas Adams

^ love that, nsa. Have you ever listened to this? The ability to fail being one of our best assets. I love when things get turned inside out and revealed as something completely different from the limited view our perceptions handed us.
Thanks for this Herbi<3

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual, from the successful one- is a lot of HARD WORK." - Stephen King

"Noones too bad to be good or too good to be bad".

Harder in practice though but I like the saying.