Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

young people leaving religion (yayyy)

nepalnt21

Bluelighter
gen z is leaving church.

do you think it's because they're now more forthcoming because they don't fear being an outcast? (and don't fear being put to death as an apostate, in most countries at least)

because of the internet as a quick and easy information network? popular influencers?

maybe it's because of the extreme examples of painfully evangelical politicians, hmm?

In Europe ? Yes. Down here in Brazil? Religion is still a thing for many people, young ones (in their 20´s ) included. Many students of mine are Christians ( mostly Evangelicals but also Catholics) but maybe thatbs because my area of specialization ( Philosophy of Religion) and the fact that differently from the 99¨% of my colleagues I m very critical of the political left ( and of the right as well but in the Humanities left wingers are over represented) hence I attract a certain public....
Anyway, from my Catholic perspective I have noticed that the young ones ar increasingly attracted by the more orthodox- traditional approaches ( i.e. groups like Opus Dei or Herald of the Gospels, Latin Mass or at least Traditional Catholic Teaching and worship) and are less attracted by the "Vanilla Catholicism", Why shouldn't they? Young ones are looking for a real alternative, something worth living for, not for the the discount version of what they can already find in "the world"....

maybe once religion is the extreme minority, we can move on and start the hard journey to making life a heaven on earth
Not so sure about it, usually when religion is abandoned is followed by either atrocious ideologies ( communism, nazism, nationalism, pretty much any ism) or by a widespread unsustainable nihilism ( see Europe)

Not if I have anything to say about it and I already know I will go around the world. This is what the 1969 beetles H bomb caused to both America and all of the world. Not to say that this world is going off the edge anyways. I'm sure they'll try to assassinate me but I don't care. To live as Christ. To die to gain.

I will go to the gutters themselves and tell everyone that God created them just as they are. Not some monster your too weak to overcome. Once you change you sex you live with it everyday. Trust me. Christ plan for mankind is much better and will clean your conscious by repenting of this perverse thinking. I'mma make damn sure my children don't fall prey to this delusion.only Jesus can help you overcome that evil.

OHHHH yes, very much so.

maybe once religion is the extreme minority, we can move on and start the hard journey to making life a heaven on earth.
I think its a mixed blessing. On one hand, we'll move away from the sort of divine morality which gave rise to all manner of inequities and brutality, on the other we'll lose one of the few overarching systems we've found which bind a group of unrelated tribalistic apes together. It seems more likely that we'll replace religion with other belief systems and there's not a completely assuring chance these systems will be any better. One of our greatest challenges will be facing down any of the number of utopian economic and social visions that we saw dominate the 20th century. Many a wolf in sheep's clothing lurk in humanities future.

Religion I think has had its day though. Our scientific progress has revealed ever decreasing gaps where God may be hidden. It's provided more material benefit in 200 years than religion provided in thousands. I don't think a revealed moral system can compete with that. After centuries of stasis, people's lives have finally started to improve. That's a difficult reality for a system of morality to contend with. But we're going to need something to keep us destroying each other.

Yall are responsible for those homosexual thought. You too weak on ur own to beat a biological monster that is apart of you. If I can clearly give up sin you have no excuse. These pearls I hope you stomp on cuz it's the trust. I know yall will just be butthurt.whats said is once you make yourself a so called female I know ppl who killed themselves and freaks. There is no reversing it.

Look, I'll give you a example SS Nazi. They wanted a super soldier. There will bee a man who will be given this type of power I'm sure kinda like Captain America. If you Read Daniel He does a blitzcreek thru all of the Middle East just crushing armies. His peace is by throwing in or die. This is exactly why when Jesus returns for the Elects sake Jew and Christian. He will be so delusion to wage war w God lol. In scripture it says who can wage war w the beast? Well, Scripture also says when you see the sky burst open with all of His Wonder majesty and Glory. All He has to do is breathe on the AC. And from neck to thighs he will just burst open. were on the edge. Cuz trust me. We probably already are making the this man of lawlessness.

I believe he's made in a lab. Jesus will just set foor with His Warriors which are US. This time it's our turn. He gets the beast. The AC soldiers are going to run.Nazi Germany was in the wrong century. When you see a man come outta the shadows just mowing over armies in the Middle East the whole wide world will be caught up in this drama.

I don't think this is a particularly good thing. Research has tended to demonstrate that people with low empathy, broken people, narcissists/sociopaths/ASPDs - for example - are often very prone to believing in God or other supernatural forces. When there's nothing else to constrain their more malignant and selfish impulses, believing that there are supernatural or afterlife consequences probably plays a significant role in tempering that behavior. Strip that constraint away from them, them why not just push things as far as you can take them?

I don't think this is a particularly good thing. Research has tended to demonstrate that people with low empathy, broken people, narcissists/sociopaths/ASPDs - for example - are often very prone to believing in God or other supernatural forces. When there's nothing else to constrain their more malignant and selfish impulses, believing that there are supernatural or afterlife consequences probably plays a significant role in tempering that behavior. Strip that constraint away from them, them why not just push things as far as you can take them?

you can believe in god without organized religion

you can believe in god without organized religion

Very true indeed. I do think for a lot of people, though, the fact that others also share the same belief, and take part in communal rituals and the like, helps to validate their feeling that there is a God/supernatural, and reinforce the sense that consequences are real and so on.