• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Yay! Bottled water to drop in price at all clubs!

I believe that lowering prices would in fact increase their water sales and therefore overall profit. How many people do you know go to a club, but 1 bottle of water for $5, then fill it up for the rest of the nite? LOTS. Why? Cos it is so damn expensive. However, if you could get a bottle of water for say $2.50 (i remember those days :( ) then you would in fact buy more of it. Why do you think a crap car company like Hyundai sells a shit load of cars??? Why do you think AMD sells so many CPU's??? Its not just because they are good, it is because they are cheap. Lets face it...water from the tap at most clubs is shite. Most of the time it tastes Chlorinated, and it sure as shit isnt as good as bottled water at replenishing what you lose on a nite out. The chlorine etc. ends up as waste product, so you ARE losing out. I would be quite happy to purchase EVERY bottle of water i would normally drink if the prices werent so damn high, cos I dont mind paying for quality. As for the clubs not becoming economically viable...yeah, righto, pull the other one. As if a place like * or * is gonna go bankrupt by selling their water at half price. At $10 entry with 1200+ ppl inside, me thinks not.
Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't see why people agree with the clubs... The figure mentioned of 80c sounds spot on to me. I find myself refilling in the bathroom but I would prefer to drink bottled water. The reason the price has been kept so high is people have been buying 5+ bottles a night and not caring what it costs. If the price was $2 I would end up spending about $10 on water because I know I'm getting my moneys worth. With the extra need for water they would then buy in bigger bulk and get them even cheaper anyway. Its funny when you look at the service they are providing (music / atmosphere) and then look at where the money comes in.

Dirtycarrot,
i think that the big clubs won't suffer as much from lowering their water prices.. But if the smaller clubs are forced to lower theirs, then there might be issues. If the door charge is only $15 or something, and less than say, i dunno, 300 people turn up.. they might start to make a loss. Most of these places i would assume, overall are pretty expensive to run. The big clubs might get away with it, based purely on the quantity of turnover, but the smaller ones might not. There will also always be an element in the crowd who decide to just buy one bottle and refill at the tap, regardless of price. Why pay for something when its free? most people would agree with the majority here, and say that the spring water is most definitely worth paying for.. but others.. well yeah :)

what would be interesting, is to see the revenues received from selling water, and perhaps establish some sort of model from it :) i don't think that will ever happen however....
the bottom line of my argument?
I think prices need to be lowered, but only to a point where a smaller club is still making some sort of profit. $3 a bottle sounds nice.. $2.50 as well.. but these clubs have to stay alive :)

edit: how many people wouldn't mind paying a higher door charge, while paying less for water? that would also be an interesting situation..

Cowboy Mac said:
why not have water bottles with the venues label on it selling for say $5, but offer free chilled refills into it from the bar?
One place I went to did just that. I think I've mentioned it before...they would give free water in little plastic cups or for $3 (maybe $2.50) they would sell 300ml waters and refill them for free from the bar tap.

It was a smaller, more friendly club. I can't see any big names doing this in a hurry.

Sorry, I'm going to have to step in here, play devil's advocate and bullshit to all these calls that if you drop the price of water you'll buy more. You'll still pay your $2.50 and fill the bottle up from the toilets...its human nature.

Having worked in the industry for many years, and having been exposed to a hell of a lot of diverse crowds, one thing has always remained constant - a lot of people fill up from the bathroom tap. Hell I've seen people at the old Sublime in Sydney, where there was a free, chilled water tap available, and they still walked into the toilets and fill up there .

I find it extremely hard to believe that the majority would think "gee, isn't that great, water only cost me $2.50, so I'll go back the bar every time I feel like a drink." Some may, but I doubt it - especially given the state of mind you'd be in.

Whilst $5 may be a bit steep (I reckon $4 for a 600ml), as someone else mentioned if you can afford to spend $$$ on the "ingredients" of a big night out, and you plan to rock up to a club, party, whatever, be prepared to pay for the privilege and services they provide.

Or wack on your favourite CD and sit at home, and fill up in the comfort of your own bathroom.

And as for the idea of charging more on the door, with the level of competition, as well as the fact that many venues take a high percentage of the door as the ticket price increases (if they can!), that extra few bucks goes no where. And that few extra bucks may also make your mind up as to whether you go to the party at all.

Whilst there are some major promoters who are doing very well out of the industry, and there are some venue owners in the same boat, a majority of those people have also put up a hell of a lot off money, for a pretty small possible profit, and one hell of a risk - and from their point of view, if they can get a couple of thousand more on a good night from the extra $1 or $2 a bottle, then great.

Also, you've got to remember that at a lot of venues, the only source of revenue they get is the bar, maybe the cloak room, and a couple of bucks on the door on a major event. The majority of the door goes to the promoter. The bar alone (especially in this drug addled day and age) ain't always that much considering the overheads.

Life behind the scenes isn't as rosy as everyone imagines (except for the lucky few, and they still cope a shitload of flak), so perhaps spare a thought next time you fill up from the tap.

And to be honest, in all the years and all the clubs, I've got to say, if you're in a reasonable venue, and you clearly look like you need some water, most bar staff will give you one (its part of the Responsible Service of Alcohol requirements).

Bent said:
And that few extra bucks may also make your mind up as to whether you go to the party at all.

This can be a good thing...not to be elitist, but a slightly higher ticket price can mean only the truly keen go. A good atmosphere often results from this.

Life behind the scenes isn't as rosy as everyone imagines (except for the lucky few, and they still cope a shitload of flak), so perhaps spare a thought next time you fill up from the tap.

My heart bleeds. No, truly it does. People cop flack and shit wherever they go, whatever they do. Some more than others. Some work hard, some don't. Some are under paid, some are over paid.

I'm not sure what your point is. I'm always respectful to bar staff, but I'm not going to buy heaps more to keep the owners happy. Maybe I'll just drop $100 at the bar when I arrive then fill up at the bogs anyway.

No laws in QLD

Just to clear this up.... there are no laws that force licensed premises to provide free water over the bar. They are legally allowed to refuse you, and there are no caps on the prices they charge for bottled water. This is the case in QLD, where Premier Peter Beattie has come out saying he believes clubs should be allowed to charge whatever they like for water, and he fails to see how this is a public health and safety issue.
Lets get away from the issue of pills - I don't take any drugs other than alcohol. For the health and safety of beer drinkers, water is an absolute necessity. Let's not let governments dismiss this as an ecstasy issue, they need to face up to the fact that all those alcohol drinkers out there are also at risk of dehydrating or worse

In Qld ~4 years ago, I was told by a senior official that Premier Beattie had held a coy of proposed changes to licencing in one hand and the RaveSafe report figures in the other. It was decided to hold off on passing legislation (requiring amongst other things, availability of free water and up to std air conditioning) and instead give more money to the RaveSafe project. At that time RaveSafe was concentrating on Valley night spots, giving out free bottled water (thanks to the support of Palm Springs).

In late 1999 by QH instruction, the project focus was directed towards larger festivals. RaveSafe continued to provide free water when permitted, but in clubs this generally became limited to emergency water only. Presently, RaveSafe does not receive any state funding. Some promoters have supported teams by assisting with recent attendance costs. Rather than a token approach to harm reduction, such promoters have displayed a realistic and responsible view towards maintaining the well being of patrons.

The water availability issue needs to be completely resolved - nation wide. As a promoter, I understand the problems of costs, but I do believe increasing door costs slightly would not decrease attendances by anything significant. Some smaller clubs could suffer, but as competition grows amongst clubs, it will probably come back to being more the quality of performance - the vaudeville of a rave- which largely attracts the punters.

This may in itself raise costs, but I bet you'd pay more to see trapeze artists descend onto the middle of the dance floor where they perform amidst dancers [Beyond the Brain '96], or a woman in a steel breast plate dancing erotically with a power grinder (see footage of "The Dawning 2001" [by Squiffy Vision -ask me] or the movie "Preaching to the Perverted") As the peak of current dance music approaches/ passes, I see the surviving promoters/ clubs as being those who can provide such variations to their events. For this, a worthy director is employed - and a real show is created.

Prices for events have steadily gone up over the years and this is often reflected in the quality of events. Much can also be soaked up by rising operational costs. But in the end I don't believe a few extra "water" bucks for a ticket will deter the dedicated.

We all know the importance of regular water consumption, so should welcome any move towards making it cheaper and ultimately freely available. Even if that includes upping the entry price. Becoming dehydrated every time you party may not kill you overnight, but it will likely affect how quickly you age.

The water availability issue needs to be completely resolved - nation wide. As a promoter, I understand the problems of costs, but I do believe increasing door costs slightly would not decrease attendances by anything significant.

I agree... If a national plan was put in place, and was widely advertised, i think it could work. For example, then govt might make some big announcement saying "door prices will rise by $5 (or 10% or something). This is to compensate for lower water prices. Every club will have this put in place by xx/xx/xxxx. Water prices will be expected to drop x% (or to a set figure)."

I think a scenario like that wouldn't stop alot of people still going out and having a good time. As long as it was across the board, most people wouldn't mind i don't think. A rise from something like $15--> $20 isn't that much.. Not when you can get decent water at a decent price inside. I think the elasticity of the price rise is pretty low, and hence will not create that much of a change in demand.

Jubas said:
I agree... If a national plan was put in place, and was widely advertised, i think it could work. For example, then govt might make some big announcement saying "door prices will rise by $5 (or 10% or something). This is to compensate for lower water prices. Every club will have this put in place by xx/xx/xxxx. Water prices will be expected to drop x% (or to a set figure)."

I think a scenario like that wouldn't stop alot of people still going out and having a good time. As long as it was across the board, most people wouldn't mind i don't think. A rise from something like $15--> $20 isn't that much.. Not when you can get decent water at a decent price inside. I think the elasticity of the price rise is pretty low, and hence will not create that much of a change in demand.
I don't understand why people would favour an increase on door price over the price of water. Imagine if door prices went up $5. There is NO way to avoid this, you have to pay to play. However there are plenty of ways to avoid the cost of water. When we go out as a group of say 6 friends, we might get 3 bottles of water from the bar, and just make sure we keep them filled up (yes I can drink the water from the toilets, it's not going to kill you). It adds a couple of dollars onto everyones night and we all stay happy. Worse comes to worse, go into the toilets, cup your hands under the sink have a drink. I know that when i can get water for free after buying the first bottle, it doesn't matter how cheap it is, ill just duck into the toilets and refill.

Even if water prices DO need to drop to the lowest alcoholic beverage, that doesn't mean they can't just make the water smaller. QBH charge i think $5 for a 300mL water, AND they refuse to give you a lid at most events. Shameful IMO, but I have recently decided to continue buying water instead of refilling, as I have become rather sick in the past from tap water at events (can you say DOCKS!).

bigmick said:
I don't understand why people would favour an increase on door price over the price of water. Imagine if door prices went up $5. There is NO way to avoid this, you have to pay to play. However there are plenty of ways to avoid the cost of water. When we go out as a group of say 6 friends, we might get 3 bottles of water from the bar, and just make sure we keep them filled up (yes I can drink the water from the toilets, it's not going to kill you). It adds a couple of dollars onto everyones night and we all stay happy. Worse comes to worse, go into the toilets, cup your hands under the sink have a drink. I know that when i can get water for free after buying the first bottle, it doesn't matter how cheap it is, ill just duck into the toilets and refill.

Exactly my point - we can all talk about how we'll all be pro-active and be happy to pay more on the door, but...

Hello, people - we're already complaining about paying a couple of dollars more than what we think is reasonable for SOMETHING WE NEED! Are you seriously saying you'd happy pay more to get in as well. Can't see it happening (if you had the choice).

Sometimes its cheaper to buy glass of soda water than a bottled water in some clubs, but not much, but I rather buy a tall glass of soda water than bottled water.... the fizz in the soda water is much nicer in some cases. But I don't hang around clubs much these days.. I'am more of a pub goer... and they often always have free water... just go to the pokie rooms, there's always water in endless supply that's iced and chilled that you can help yourself ;)

There's been few times that I brought a bottled water from the * in Brisbane and I walked into several clubs with bottled water in my hand and the bouncers never stopped me or took the water off me. But few times, the bouncers have asked me to finish off the water before I could even enter the club... I thought that was fucking stupid.... but in some ways I kinda understand from a businessman's point of view, I mean if I was a club owner, I would want to increase the prices of bottled water... I mean... it's all part of business, we can whinge as much we can... but is it going to change much at all?

Just IMO....

Urbanhog %)

[Edit: Venue details removed in line with Guidelines. BigTrancer]

Last edited by a moderator:
^ They don't want you bringing in a bottle full of vodka or water because you'd be ripping them off. But, they also don't want you bringing in a bottle of GHB and wiping yourself and half of your mates out and leaving them with unconcscious clubbers to deal with... or date raping someone.

IMHO the water issue is a really serious harm reduction issue, people need water when they're having drugs (including alcohol), otherwise they can overheat, dehydrate, and suffer for it. I hope they sort this out pretty soon.

BigTrancer :)

^^ ive been to places where they wont let me bring in an empty bottle. now theres no reason for this except greed.

hah, you mean like EVERY single party you've ever been to?

I've only been to one party that allowed empty water bottles in, I think it was TwoTribes this year. I've even had my water spray bottle confiscated (R.I.P). You are correct in saying that it is purely greed.

I was actually highly impressed when they said I was allowed to bring an emoty bottle in, I never thought i'd see the day.

um... excuse me BigTrancer... I noticed that you edited my posting, thats fine, no problem...I am aware of the Bluelight's posting guidelines... but in fact I didn't name a "venue" I was just talking about a 24 hour shop... where it's cheaper to buy water anyway. I am not talking about venues, bars, nightclubs, etc

Are you telling me "its illegal" for me to post the name of a shop thats everywhere all over Australia? that had no involement in the "drug disscussion"???

Just curious.

Urbanhog

It's a 'blanket' rule, and I can't possibly know the name of all the shops in australia... If I enforce this rule in every situation, I don't have to judge the relative merit of whether a shop should or shouldn't be allowed to be posted. The name of the shop isn't crucial to the point of your post anyway.

Unless they sell Ez-test, or 5-htp, then I don't want them on the board :)

BT :)

Cowboy Mac said:
^^ ive been to places where they wont let me bring in an empty bottle. now theres no reason for this except greed.

Fancy running a business and wanting to make money from it! The bastards! ;) ;)

Bent said:
Fancy running a business and wanting to make money from it! The bastards! ;) ;)

I hope you're joking, if not you have missed the point of the whole thread.