• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax

LisaSue2015

Bluelighter
I recently went off Klonapin 1 mg 3x a day because it felt like it was working at first then it felt like it was working less and less and then felt like it had little effect. Only at night it would help more.

My psychiatrist recently switched me to Xanax 1mg 3x a day. Initially, when I take it it works great, but in about 3 hours it wears off. I space the 3 pills out at least 5 or so hours a day. So as soon as it wears off, I feel very nervous, anxious and feel like I am on nothing. With the Klonapin, it had a half life. You still felt it for hours at a time but very weak.

I do not know how to present this to my psychiatrist when I go to her.

Do you think I should suggest Xanax XR to her? I read that it slowly comes out in your body.

But I was told you should not tell doctors stuff or suggest what to do. But I just do not feel she will suggest it.

I really wish she would have just put me on 1 1/2 Klonapins 3x a day. It would have been stronger and lasted longer. But it would not be right for me to say it. She is the doctor.

She could completely switch it to another benzo.

Also she knows I do not want a benzo that causes weight gain.

I also just started Toperamax 25mg a day but that takes 2 months to work I read. I am on Wellbutrin also 200mg.

But this Xanax is making me nuts. After 3 hours I am back to nervous, anxious, yelling at my kids, no patience etc. I have a lot going on so it is hard. I go to my phych 1x a month and I just started the Xanax. I am only on it a week. I do not want to run back to the psychiatrist right now.

Any experience?

Thanks.

WHAT?

Why in the FUCK would she do that? That's obviously going to put u into W/D. Talking about Half-life. Xanax's elimination half life is 11.2 hours MAX. Clonazepam lasts over or up to 50 hours. makes no sense AT ALL to me.

If she would've switched you to something else, Diazepam would have made perfect sense. 10mg of Valium 3x a day would've worked GODLY for you. Because 1mg of Klonopin = 10mg of Valium.
Valium also lasts LONGER than Klonopin. Diazepam's half-life can go up all the way to 100 hours. 50 hours avg. (IMO)

Talk to your doctor and say I don't want Xanax or double the dose because of half life.

Likely your physician switched you b/c the max recommended dose of Klonopin for anxiety disorders is now (in the US) 4-mg/day, down from 6-mg/day a decade ago. Xanax XR might be your best bet. Just tell your doc the truth - you have inter-dose withdrawal from Xanax and she should take it from there. I see nothing wrong with asking about a certain medication. People do it all the time, but there's risks asssociated with asking for controlled substances.

Beyond that I can't help much, BL rules dictate we can't help posters get drugs from their doctors. Just suggesting you be upfront and use the right terminology for what you're experiencing- interdose withdrawal.

Switch to .5mg 6x a day. or .25mg even more. When I was first on xanax, I got the .25mg pills 3x a day for anxiety, and always had pills left over at the end of each month. Knowing i had something on hand that could calm me in 10min or less was soothing in itself.

Kpins are generally 1/3rd the strength of xanax but last 3x as long, so your equivalent dose was jumped up quite a bit. Try taking half a football (1mg pill) every 3-4 hours instead of a whole mg at once.

I think I will try to split them like you said because 1 mg 3x a day with all the in between hours I am not doing well. I am having lots of anxiety.

I am going to take a 1/2 now actually :)

I just posted that I am sorry if I posted something that went against the rules about asking if I should ask my dr. about a certain drug. But I will suggest Xanax XR to her and just type it on the bottom of my log that I will give it to her.

For now I am going to try what the previous post said .5 6x a day and see how I feel. But when I go to the Dr. I am going to tell her I am taking the 1mg 3x a day so I can just switch. I am not 100% but I do not know if .5 will have enough of an effect to relieve the anxiety but I rather do this than have all those hours without anything.

The Xanax XR sounds good but then again I do not want to be on benzos long term so it is a bit scary to me also. Before the Klonapin I was taking Buspar for years and that was it until my life took a bad turn.

That sounds like a good plan. I hope it works out for you. No worries about violating rules - I was being conservative as I like to not piss off moderators, and try to steer others clear of the same. Don't take that as a personal thing, it's just the rules here are different than other forums, as we focus on harm reduction. That stated you came to a good place for advice on your situation. just take what we all say for what it is - free advice.

Best.

Switch to .5mg 6x a day. or .25mg even more. When I was first on xanax, I got the .25mg pills 3x a day for anxiety, and always had pills left over at the end of each month. Knowing i had something on hand that could calm me in 10min or less was soothing in itself.

Kpins are generally 1/3rd the strength of xanax but last 3x as long, so your equivalent dose was jumped up quite a bit. Try taking half a football (1mg pill) every 3-4 hours instead of a whole mg at once.

Thanks so much kid this is what I'm doing and I hope it's going to help

I've been on a 3x a day 10 mg. diazepam treatment personally, because I felt it suited me better than other benzos. This was purely because of what I had to say to my Dr. He never suggested a benzo, and I'd only brought them up after he'd prescribed 2 other antidepressants, which had negatives far outweighing any positives they could provide, and wasn't open to any other form of anti anxiety/depression treatment carrying serious medical risks, even if it worked, which the others had not at all (rather exacerbated several). The drugs I'd tried i can remember for any inquiring minds were buspiron and bupropion I believe. Point being; mention things to your Dr. say what you feel is a good fit for you, because everyone is slightly different. If you truly NEED these drugs this stuff should just come to you, and I was most certainly nervous out of my skin bringing it up, thinking he'll just think I'm seeking drugs, or some nonsense, but if you're right, they'll come around. Mine wanted to put me on lorazepam first, but fortunately I'd been around enough to know what I needed. Talk I say, and good luck.

Yeah? Someone else is saying K-pin is 1/3 strength of Xanax. So K-pin is 3x stronger than Xanax? (Kid Amine)

So that would mean 1mg of Xanax is 60mg of Valium? YA.

No. 1mg of klonopin is equal to .333mg of xanax as far as immediate effects. It lasts 3 as long, so, over time, they equal out (supposedly). Doses of xanax, because it is shorter lasting than xanax, would have to be more frequent, but in smaller doses than k-pins, hence my recommendation the OP take .5mg xanax 6x a day rather than 1mg 3x a day.

All benzos are slightly different, aside from potency. Focusing solely on that, or a conversion chart is the wrong way to go about it.

Yeah Here's my strength chart

1mg Xanax = 0.5mg K-pin
1mg Xanax = 10mg Valium
0.5mg K-pin = 10mg Valium
2mg Ativan = 10mg Valium

Those are the benzo's I have tried. The person who said 1mg of K-pin is 20mg of Valium is CORRECT, sorry.

When I go back to the psychiatrist, I am going to mention Xanax XR to her. I am not familiar with any other benzo medicines that may be good for me. I am not sure from the rules on this board if I am allowed to ask for any recommendations on a good benzo without weight gain etc. I found out about klonapin doing my own research. Xanax was pretty popular out there and I read up on it a little bit.

dont ever say that to a shrink or a regular doc you are a clueless patient not an informed BL knowledged person.

LOL- I was putting on my note that I type up for her "half life" and my husband was like No, No don't tell your psychiatrist half life. I am like why? I cant be smart and have learned from BL etc. I want to ask her about Zanax XR and see what she says.

dont ever say that to a shrink or a regular doc you are a clueless patient not an informed BL knowledged person.

wtf are you talking about?

she's putting him in RISK by dosing more Benzos. That's what I was referring too. Oh wait your too much of a fucktard to know what half life or tolerance mean.