• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Whys PCP so stigmatized? (even by drug-users!)

PCP, wet, or dust is still around.

It's found in rather dangerous areas of the city where I'm from and the only reason why people go to this area is just to get crack, coke, H, and dust. The residents know it and so do the 5-0.

While I have not done it as I don't think I'd enjoy dissociatives as I never even used DXM recreationally, and I've never used K.

Friends of mine in HS would smoke dust in joints or blunts between a few people and they said it did various things to them.

Like how it would make them feel as though they were very tall or extremely small while everything else around them was gigantic sort of like in Alice in Wonderland but it was very confusing at the time.

HS friends of mine talked about how they smoked a blunt of dust while sitting on someone's parked car and they were messing around and jumping off of it and that gravity was all fucked up and that a few hours felt like minutes or the reverse of that.

Another friend of mine smoked what sounds like PCP before watching a movie at home and he said how it was like he was an observer to himself and he wasn't just very high since this guy smoked tons and had a tolerance.

My dad's friend told me how he did PCP a few times in the mid/late 70s and loved it and how he got artistic on it and actually drew a portrait of Jimmy Page from Led Zeppelin and he's no artist at all so I guess it enhanced that part of his brain while he was on it. He also enjoyed how it made him stumble a lot and feel very numb like he was very drunk. He smoked the Angel dust with his friends another time and he said how one of them had trouble with it but eventually calmed down. Apparently PCP was very popular then in the 70s and early 80s. Anyone know why?

A friend of mine who's also older smoked some PCP at a concert in the late 70s or 80s and he said how he passed out from it in public.

Another HS friend of mine intentionally smoked lots of dust through a large bong after snorting a 8ball of coke with his friends and he said how he'd walk around outside for the evening and how it was like he was a zombie or somehow floating a bit above the ground he was walking on. He also wondered if he had died and was having an out of body experience at the time. He said he'd never use PCP again but he did intentionally do a huge dose of it the first time.

From what my friends told me about dust it's on really shitty herb and you can tell the pot has PCP on it since it smells and tastes like pure chemicals and not like herb and they put it on crappy herb that's even worse than Mexican schwag full of seeds and you know that you're getting dust.

I think that PCP gets the rep that it does because of the urban legends about people smoking it and then thinking they could fly and jumping off of buildings, or how Rodney King was supposedly on PCP but this has been disputed. Or how it was once used as a veterinarian anesthetic like Ketamine is but it's no longer used at all. There's an actor named David Locharcy who was in lots of early John Waters movies who apparently died of a PCP overdose he had the blue hair in Pink Flamingos and played the Lipstick beauty salon owner in Female Trouble. Or I remember growing up hearing about how James Brown had smoked some PCP and went crazy on it.

Just doing a simple search for PCP online I found out that some guy supposedly killed a female friend and ate her lungs while high on PCP and how a guy in Bakersfield CA bit out his 4 year old son's eye and tried to chop off his own legs with an axe while supposedly high on PCP. Who knows if any of this is true though? They probably would have done this even if they were sober since they're psychopaths and crazy.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2589/does-pcp-turn-people-into-cannibals

I also found this website which I only skimmed which shows how PCP got stigmatized by the media based on urban legends of people smoking dust and gouging out their own eyes.
http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/pcp3.htm

Granted not everyone is going to go crazy while on dust. I have friends who enjoyed it. I had a friend in college who was apparently big into dissociatives and high doses of them including DXM and K and he loved PCP.

Thizzer-What did PCP do for you when you used it?

Last edited:
One of the things that makes me skeptical of PCP is all the cops episodes and youtube videos of people in public, usually the middle of the road, often at least half undressed, screaming and making threatening gestures.

That said, maybe I would try it just for the hell of it if it was pure and I had a trusted sitter to restrain me if necessary.

I have seen the same thing happen a lot more frequently with liquor ;)

People just need to know their limits and be responsible for their own actions. The same goes for any drug. Truth is its not a bad drug, you may like it or you may not. Some people can handle it better than others and some may have sensitivities. You can never really know if it is for you or not until you try it. Just play smart and treat it as you would any drug.

People may act strange or freak sober people out because it is a dissociative. I have seen the same thing happen on bad DXM trips or even people who are too drunk. Think about it.

I have never done PCP but I have tried 3-MeO-PCP after hearing good things and I had a great time, it is no longer available but I wish I would have tried a slightly larger dose.

One of my friends smoked weed laced with pcp, he through up like 5 times, then he told me he turned into a volcano and had a conversation with his door.

That Strange Guy said:
I have never done PCP but I have tried 3-MeO-PCP after hearing good things and I had a great time, it is no longer available but I wish I would have tried a slightly larger dose.

You should consider posting in the 3-MeO-PCP thread since I think there's only around 8 people who have written about their experiences.

The article link posted by PriestTheyCalledHim was a fun/disturbing read. Here's some interesting excerpts that address the thread question:
* In a 1980 special issue on PCP, the Journal of Psychedelic Drugs reported that, on the one hand, (1) some stories about PCP-induced dementia were demonstrably embroidered or otherwise unreliable--for example, Baltimore college dropout Charles Innes blinded himself while in jail after swallowing a canister of drugs, but there was no proof the stuff was PCP; (2) the vast majority of PCP experiences were nonviolent; (3) you could find eye gougings, superhuman strength, and whatnot attributed to drugs ranging from LSD to ergot; (4) PCP users took gobs of other drugs too; and (5) the one recreational drug indisputably linked to crime was alcohol. On the other hand, the Journal's contributors went on to say, PCP had played a role in plenty of stunningly senseless violence: (1) a 17-year-old boy made a sexual advance on a 14-year-old girl after both had smoked "superweed" (here meaning marijuana dosed with PCP); when she resisted, he concluded he was being attacked by a wild animal and strangled her; (2) a man cut off one of his partner's testicles at the latter's request while both were high on PCP; (3) one chronic PCP user "branded himself by burning a cross on his chest"; (4) a 38-year-old man smoked superweed, cut off the head of his dog, and attacked a stranger on the street with a razor; (5) high on PCP, a man waved down a car, shot and killed a passenger, then frolicked on the freeway firing in the air before being subdued; and (6) a 29-year-old man smoked a PCP "crystal joint," entered a pregnant woman's home, stabbed her, killing the fetus, killed her two-year-old child, and when found was running down the street with a knife, naked and bloody, yelling, "Hallelujah, I'm Jesus!"

PCP was studied in the 1950s as a human anesthetic but after reports of delusions, psychosis, and other side effects was restricted to veterinary use and eventually discontinued. ...

Is PCP inherently dangerous? Given the continuing litany of horror stories after 40 years of street use, it seems clear this stuff is in a different league from LSD and other drugs with which it's often compared. The argument can be made that it unleashes violent outbursts mainly in people who were unstable to start with. But let's face it, much the same can be said of a gun.

the only dissociative ive ever had was DXM, but if any K or PCP came my way id make time for it

the concept of dissociation is alluring

Because it's pretty damn bad for you.

Why is meth stigmatized?

Meth is stigmatized because it gives you false hope that everything will be alright while it rips your life apart completely, trust me. It makes you oblivious to the addiction and problems that come with it. Meth was the hardest thing I have ever had to overcome because I didn't see it as a problem at the time. My health reached a critical condition because all I did was party on that stuff. It took a close friend to do something very drastic to make me even attempt to quit, and i still slipped up a few times.

Meth created a scar that will never fade over a large portion of my past and I nor my family nor friends and even a few strangers will never be able to forget about those times.

I don't know anyone who had anything even close to similar on PCP

PCP is just as addictive as meth. If you aren't taking neuroprotectants with it, it's probably worse for you too. Neither of them are particularly unhealthy when taken sparingly instead of compulsively.

There are millions of people who have had no problem taking small amount of methamphetamine orally for the past century.

Thizzer-What did PCP do for you when you used it?

Ive never taken an extreme dose of PCP, so I cant say ive had an insane experience with it.

Ive only gotten wet a handful of times, so im starting slow and buidling my way up as I feel safer with the substance.

PCP numbs me, and makes me lose contact with what is real with the world. More times than none it'll knock me on my ass physically, but mentally I have left the room and am wandering my surroundings on a higher level (in all aspects of the word ;)).

PCP can be a very dark substance, and I often see the world in a daker manner. Lights seem dimmer, the walls seem darker, peoples eyes sink in in a maniacal sort of way.

That being said the dissociative effects, along with the numbing effects give me a reason to love the drug.

One of my friends smoked weed laced with pcp, he through up like 5 times, then he told me he turned into a volcano and had a conversation with his door.

9/10 those who claim to have smoked weed laced with PCP either smoked some ghetto weed, or are lying.
It is very easy to distinguish PCP as it smells like doo-doo and magic marker.

Damn, I think I feel a sherm coming on sometime soon :D

Alot of weed does have leftover fertilizers from the improper flushing most commercial weed gets. Some of these can taste metallic and even cause a tingling effect on the body that is not unlike the numbing of PCP, but it goes away after a few minutes. Alot of your laced weed stories can be debunked by this alone, and the rest... Well, it's kinda like UFO sightings, isn't it? Hehe.

Here's something from wikipedia that can help all you paranoid stoners out there figure out what's in your weed: "Symptoms are summarized by the mnemonic device RED DANES: rage, erythema (redness of skin), dilated pupils, delusions, amnesia, nystagmus (oscillation of the eyeball when moving laterally), excitation, and skin dryness." Remember friends, RED DANES ...Taking off across the parking lot of the betting parlour, lost the leash and running free for the first time like Chief Broom after escaping the ward. Only red danes can tell you whether you've lost the plot or should toss the pot... Oh, spontaneous poetry and rhyming is another symptom of PCP intoxication ;)

^ this

Ghetto weed: Homegrown ghetto schwagg with who knows what pestisides and additives in it.

I need a ghetto contact to get me a sherm. I wouldn't mind trying it at least once.

Whats up with the "legend" of PCP?

I don't think there is a legend really. Every single story you've ever heard about PCP - the strength of 10 men, etc has been repeated about every illegal drug since the 1920's from pot to cocaine to crack to LSD. It's utter bollocks.

The most usual thing that happens when someone takes PCP is they lay down and giggle.

PCP is probably pretty safe for the vast majority of casual users out there but the small tiny minority that do go cuckoo on it go so crazy that it over-stigmatizes the reputation of PCP by quite a bit. I'm sure some, if not most, of the stories of PCP-induced murders and killings are factual.
However, I'd guesstimate alcohol probably is more prone to causing violence than PCP.

PCP was one of the first drugs I heard about when young and what I heard was all really bad of course; the problem with the 'drugs are bad' message is that this stuff sounded so terrible I was fascinated by it; I still am though of course I know much of what I heard was total BS - read some where the bad rap this got was this was a street drug with ghetto users whilst Ketamine was used by middle class educated new age sorts - I suspect there's a lot in that. If I could get a clean sample I'd be very interested but I've never even had a contact for Ket (other than a few lines 10 years back) - even missed 3meo-pcp type things unfortunately; I did try DXM once but didn't think it very worthwhile. Dissosociatives fascinate me but doubt I'll ever see any now short of a new catagory coming up