• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Whys PCP so stigmatized? (even by drug-users!)

I'd try it (rather than H and Meth anyway), but I live in Europe..

First time I got wet, I tore apart my room thlooking desperately for something (I don't know what), and passed out halway outside my closet after having a conversation with a nonexistent (not even hallucinated or delusioned; just me talking to empty air and I knew it).

Second time, I spent six hours hiding underneath a computer desk, thinking I was rapping a tupac caliber mad flow, but afterwardsmy friends were making fun at me and said I'd just been saying to a beat, "my nigguh, my nigguh nigguh, nigguh nigguh nigguh nigguh, ny nigguh nig, my nigguh nigguh." Bhahahahahahah.

God I want some more angel dust.

Last edited:
I would say it's stigmatization is due mostly to the fact that it isn't readily available to most people even drug users.
I know in canada it is particularly difficult to find, the only drug I've actively looked everywhere for and never been able to even find someone who knew someone who knew someone who had it at one time kinda deal.
Without anyone actually experiencing it to break the stigma, the stigma stays
Perhaps even the fact that its so hard to find lead people to believe that it must turn the user psychotic at times and everyone is too afraid or smart to try it

When I was on the east coast you could buy PCP in the ghettos people would call it "sherm" or "dust" you could buy a "dime bag" for $10 that would usually get 3 people messed up, 2 people really messed up or 1 person completely mess up. It was some kind of leaves oregano or peppermint soaked in the substance usually people would put it in a joint and smoke it.

Everyone would call it getting "dusted". I don't know anyone that did it as a regular habit usually people would get board and get some and get wacky for a night. I heard bad stories of people that would smoke and entire dime bag and wander in the roads and wake up in strange places with their clothes half ripped off.

I never liked the feel of it and it was strange. I used to make me feel like I was outside of my self, I would be walking down the street but I would feel and see like I was floating 3ft above myself watching like I was another person.

In diametrical contrast to HT's predicament, my first trip was an unexpected and very high dose of PCP. The drug magically found its way into some cannabis that my roommate and I were planning to smoke. That was just over a quarter century ago, and to this day, I consider the experience to have been exceptionally intense. PCP is serious stuff, folks, especially at high doses. Be careful.

OMG yes!

Liquid Jesus...

Shermanator!

I would scream that on my way into the abyss...

If you are on a budget, pcp is the hands down easiest dissociative to hole out on.

My only concern is for people who smoke entirely too much, where the terror comes into play because of the stimulating effects.

It will make people loony. That is nothing a dose of I.M. valium can’t handle...

People a lot of the times forget that a nice small alcohol buzz, not completely drunk, can make the experience not as intense on the come up.

Long acting benzos allow you to go to sleep after the trip ends.

It does cause terrible insomnia and tons of nausea if you smoke a good dose..

I would definitely try PCP but it is non-existant in europe. I'll have to settle with 3-meo-pcp, which kind of seems like an upgraded version of PCP anyway with more affinity for serotonin and less for dopamine, which is good.

I think a lot of the stigma is the result of... the stigma itself. Like the bad reputation is self-perpetuating.

Think about it, PCP is pretty rare. It's been 'out of style' for several decades in the mainstream drug scene. The vast majority of drug users don't take it up as such a hobby as we do here on Bluelight, and aren't as educated about drugs. So while they may easily discover that the myths about MDMA or acid or weed are just that – myths to scare people away – they don't have access to PCP, or to people who have done PCP, who could tell them the real deal about it.

I haven't done it myself, but I imagine this (the rarity of it) is probably a factor that makes the myth perpetuate itself.

When I was on the east coast you could buy PCP in the ghettos people would call it "sherm" or "dust" you could buy a "dime bag" for $10 that would usually get 3 people messed up, 2 people really messed up or 1 person completely mess up. It was some kind of leaves oregano or peppermint soaked in the substance usually people would put it in a joint and smoke it.

Everyone would call it getting "dusted". I don't know anyone that did it as a regular habit usually people would get board and get some and get wacky for a night. I heard bad stories of people that would smoke and entire dime bag and wander in the roads and wake up in strange places with their clothes half ripped off.

I never liked the feel of it and it was strange. I used to make me feel like I was outside of my self, I would be walking down the street but I would feel and see like I was floating 3ft above myself watching like I was another person.

Yeah it's all around the East coast, certain parts of the West coast, and Midwest too.

The people who claim that it's "rare" or not popular anymore are not looking hard enough. I grew up in an area where it's very common and you had to go to a slum or ghetto of a city to hypothetically get it but even people who lived outside of the city in a suburb or in the middle of nowhere had access to it since there was and probably still is a demand for it.

I never used it or really wanted to but I know a lot of people who I grew up with who had. Most would just smoke it if someone else had some or wanted to get it, and only a few people were actual dustheads who used it on a regular basis.

I also knew people who were around in the 70s and used it then, and enjoyed it but they said how they liked how it made them feel numb and insanely drunk.

The people I knew who used it would just smoke it in a bowl, joint, or blunt with a few other people or alone and they would get the effects you wrote about where it was as though they were outside of their body watching themselves. I knew one guy who intentionally did a very large dose of it like a lot of hits all at once out of a 2 foot bong and he said it made him very confused and he was unable to move unless he really concentrated on it, and he would stumble and fall down.

Ketamine does not even come within eyesight of it, ketamine is like the trippy elements of PCP with NONE of the actual ENJOYABLE elements of PCP like the godly egocentricity and invincibility that makes you feel like your a superhero.

It's a matter of opinion really, some people like the stimulating ego-centric dissociatives, others prefer the smooth sedative ones like Ketamine. Others like both equally. :)

But anyway the part of your message I highlighted is why sometimes people on PCP *actually* do some of the things we've all heard horror stories about. We all know stimulants can make people more aggressive or prone to crazy and dangerous behaviour (both towards themselves and others) - now combine that with the fact you can't really feel any pain and someone could slice your arm off and you'd still be swinging at them and you'll see why PCP seems like a horror drug when people see the rare incidents that do happen with it.

Ketamine has a bad reputation in the UK somewhat but that reputation revolves around the fact that when people do too much they roll about on the floor like a severely brain-damaged fish out of water and while they may be having a great time themselves (Hell yea! :D) to everyone else it looks pretty appalling - and when people do it in public places, people get wary of the drug. It doesn't have the whole horror reputation of PCP simply for the fact that when you take too much Ketamine you can't tell left from right or stand up nevermind get in a fight with someone - good luck trying. :p

It's certainly not remotely common that these things happen and it's not a reason to be scared to take PCP (unless of course you have existing problems with your psyche, then I'd shy away from any dissociatives for sure) but such incidents have occurred and been blown up in the media and as such it has a bad name.

Psychedelics have their bad reputation to many too, I feel it's just that due to them being more common they aren't quite so feared as when it comes to PCP for some. You've heard the stories about people jumping out of windows and the like during the trip, and these things have happened - despite being extremely rare, they happen on near enough any drug known to man and when sober too - people do silly things! All about being careful and making sure you stay safe, and approach them with a clear head. :)

It's happened with a lot of other drugs too, for example in the UK there's a case of reefer madness in the newspapers and as such I've met many a non-drug user (and even some drug users) who think Cannabis is a guaranteed one-step route to schizophrenia and butchering and eating your 90 year old grandmother. 8)

Last edited:
The people who claim that it's "rare" or not popular anymore are not looking hard enough. I grew up in an area where it's very common and you had to go to a slum or ghetto of a city to hypothetically get it but even people who lived outside of the city in a suburb or in the middle of nowhere had access to it since there was and probably still is a demand for it.

Surely you could acknowledge that it is probably one of the most unusual or rare psychedelics or dissociatives out there, probably on a par with things like 4-XX-DiPT and so on?

I think the point about it being rare isn't so much a statement (at least when I make the statement) about absolute availability but rather that the sherm scene seems to be rather closed off. Ie if you can get it it's easy to get, but for the average dude looking for it unless you randomly happen to meet a sherm vermin you won't be able to find it.

EDIT: I think a better way to say what I'm getting at is that the sherm scene is secretive and insular to a degree, in no small part probably *because* of the stigma. I looked for it all over the Chicago ghettos when I wanted to try some several years ago, and since I was buying heroin from the folks I don't see them being shy and holding back when I asked if they knew about any wet, but I never did find any so I just sort of moved on and gave up on finding some.

Last edited:
Surely you could acknowledge that it is probably one of the most unusual or rare psychedelics or dissociatives out there, probably on a par with things like 4-XX-DiPT and so on?

I think the point about it being rare isn't so much a statement (at least when I make the statement) about absolute availability but rather that the sherm scene seems to be rather closed off. Ie if you can get it it's easy to get, but for the average dude looking for it unless you randomly happen to meet a sherm vermin you won't be able to find it.

EDIT: I think a better way to say what I'm getting at is that the sherm scene is secretive and insular to a degree, in no small part probably *because* of the stigma. I looked for it all over the Chicago ghettos when I wanted to try some several years ago, and since I was buying heroin from the folks I don't see them being shy and holding back when I asked if they knew about any wet, but I never did find any so I just sort of moved on and gave up on finding some.

To you it might be rare but to me it's not. I grew up in an area where it's common but I never used it. It's not secretive; but there's a higher demand for other drugs like coke/crack, H, crystal meth, MDMA, and even weed, pharmaceutical drugs, and booze over it. There might even be a bigger demand for K over PCP but I wouldn't know about that.

Last edited:
I think it is a combination of things:

- PCP is known to be distributed and administered in ways that make it very hard to dose accurately or knowingly at all.
- It is a potent dissociative that like 3-MeO-PCP can cause 'hole' experience where there is extensive dissociation from reality.
- But in the case of a very high dose or overdose there is not incapacitating and immobilizing anaesthesia that takes over but mania / compulsive psychotomimicry...
- The pleasurable effects can lead a user to keep redosing in a state of progressive ignorance so to speak.

...potentially leading to extreme disaster.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I feel it was a little before my time (or maybe not in my area) I grew up in Jersey right outside of Philadelphia in 1978. I didn't see much of it around, and it's the only drug I can think of besides some of the more obscure RC's that I haven't tried. Really the only one I haven't tried. At first i was like, I didn't know if I want to, but now the idea is growing on me. I love psychedelics, I love disassociatives. Why not try it? And I'm the biggest advocator of braking drug stereotypes. I don't want people judging me for the track marks on my arm (although I know its going to happen). Why would I judge someone for liking the PCP pipe. Although I did know one guy who went so crazy in the 80's with PCP, he's been sober like 20 years now, and is still really fucked up in the head. But that's just one guy with a drug problem, not the standard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Closed to PCP I tried was 3-MeO-PCP, different story then Ketamine and Methoxetamine! Love that drug, king of NMDA-Antagonist imo (From what I've tried, yet to try PCP)

I remember when 'Angel Dust' came on the national news here a while back (we're probably talking about ~10 years, not sure really) as something that would make people go completely nuts. Since it's a pretty rare drug, especially here in Europe, that was the only info I got on the stuff, so naturally I felt disgusted about it. With other/more popular drugs, it's easier to get alternative information sources, so it's easier to get a more objective/positive opinion about it.
Fast-forwarding to now, with me having tried a bunch of different drugs, including Ketamine, I feel a lot less resentment towards it. I might even try it one day, although the only thing I could get my hands on is 3- or 4-MeO-PCP (and I haven't done enough research to know the differences).

Yeah, I know what you mean. I feel it was a little before my time (or maybe not in my area) I grew up in Jersey right outside of Philadelphia in 1978. I didn't see much of it around, and it's the only drug I can think of besides some of the more obscure RC's that I haven't tried. Really the only one I haven't tried. At first i was like, I didn't know if I want to, but now the idea is growing on me. I love psychedelics, I love disassociatives. Why not try it? And I'm the biggest advocator of braking drug stereotypes. I don't want people judging me for the track marks on my arm (although I know its going to happen). Why would I judge someone for liking the PCP pipe. Although I did know one guy who went so crazy in the 80's with PCP, he's been sober like 20 years now, and is still really fucked up in the head. But that's just one guy with a drug problem, not the standard.
PCP or dust was and still is ALL around the multi-state and city area of PA, NJ, NYC, MD, DC, and it was super popular in the 1970s and still is popular today.

I never used PCP or angel dust, wet, love boat, illy, sherm, 'embalming fluid', etc. Given how in vogue it was when I was a teen and adult and how in the city I grew up in how common it was I am surprised. A lot of people who I grew up with used it, had tried it once or maybe two or three times. Or would smoke some if someone had some on weed and everyone wanted to get wet. Nobody became violent, went crazy, or had the police called on them. There was one dust head but he died from heroin/opiates, or coke and not PCP.

How did the angel-dust make you feel?
I dunno, blazin!

Last edited:
Probably because it's a powerful disassociative, anesthetic and stimulant that has the propensity for unpredictable behavior.
Ever hear of the Rapper Big Lurch?
He was a pcp addict, smoked a bunch with a female friend of his all day and ended up brutally killing and cannibalizing her.
Cops reportedly found him naked covered in blood just staying into the sky in the middle of the street.

I've never done PCP or any of its analogs but I can tell you on MXE there have several occasions where I'm in a state where I dont recognize where I am or who I'm with.
(Even though I was in my own house and with my girlfriend). Being in such a state can be quite confusing and scary (who are these people? Where am I? Why am I fucked up right now? Have I been kidnapped and drugged by strangers?) These were all thoughts that rambled through my brain a few times on MXE before realizing (thankfully) that I'm probably on drugs voluntarily and just confused before I began to re-recognize my own godamn house and Girlfriend.
I think it's not a far stretch to understand how people could have the propensity to go bat shit crazy on PCP.

I really wanted to check it out but I am not interested in being the gingerbread man.
High or moderate doses make running or movement difficult. I know someone who smoked PCP at a party with three other people in a bathroom and it took them hours to get up and leave the room.