BEST OF ALL TIME
Stanley Kubrik
Martin Scorsese
Roman Polanski
Alfred Hitchcock
Oliver Stone
Coen Bros

HONORABLE MENTIONS
Peter Jackson...... (I really really liked LoTR)
Sydney Pollack
Robert Zemeckis
Orson Welles
Ridley Scott
Quinten Tarantino

Peter Jackson...... (I really really liked LoTR)

I prefer his earlier work. Lord of the Rings is great, but there's a reason he was given such a massive budget and such a huge trilogy of films. Bad Taste isn't as obvious a work of genius, but it still is one.

that ghost thing with michael j fox is entertaining and heavenly creatures has an incredible haunting atmosphere.

I thought 'The Frighteners' was (although entertaining) by far his worst film.

You seen Braindead/ Meet the Feebles?

i don't think i have... big fan of bad taste. i'll remedy this asap.

have you seen lovely bones yet?

don't be too excited, i liked the frighteners more. it's made well and acted well, but there's too much missing from the story to make it satisfying, and i haven't even read the book.

Zhang Yimou, hands down. Very few directors have the range he does, and none of his movies are like any others he's done. He really singlehandedly convinced the world his country can turn out more than cheap action flicks.

I like David Lynch very much as a DIRECTOR. He can't write to save his life, though :\ He could learn a lot from Spike Jonze, who at least knows who to collaborate with to make up for his limitations.

George Romero- Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead. Day of the Dead, Creepshow, Martin, need I say more
Mel Gibson- Braveheart, The Passion of the Christ, Apocolypto, awesome actor, even more awesome director
Umberto Lenzi- City of the Walking Dead, Eyeball, Cannibal Ferox, great Italian horror genious
Ruggero Deodato-Jungle Holocaust, Cannibal Holocaust, House on the Edge of the Park- see Umberto Lenzi

David Cronenberg
Michel Gondry
Park Chan-Wook
Coen Brothers
Errol Morris

edit:
oh and Hayao Miyazaki

Last edited:
Good call, his vengeance trilogy is great. Recently saw I'm a Cyborg... and was really impressed, completely different feel to his other films, still need to watch thirst though.

Thirst is fantastic. Interesting religious commentary/satire, unique/surprising narrative, and beautiful direction, as per usual for Park Chan-Wook.

Zhang Yimou, hands down. Very few directors have the range he does, and none of his movies are like any others he's done. He really singlehandedly convinced the world his country can turn out more than cheap action flicks.

Red Sorghum (Hong gao liang) is his most favorite movie of mine :)
Among his latest works, House of Flying Daggers and Curse of the Golden Flower are what I like (they didn't move me as much as RS though).

6302263948.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

^ I first saw Red Sorghum as a kid when my dad brought it home from the public library. It was a bit much to handle at that age, and left me with a lot of questions my dad wasn't in the mood to get deep into.