Votes: 152 15.8%
  • 4-HO Family

Votes: 151 15.7%
  • DOx Family

Votes: 138 14.3%
  • I would legalize all drugs

Votes: 449 46.6%

• Total voters
Slightly back on topic a bit, I like how David Nutt speaks about alcohol and its danger compared to other substances from a purely scientific fact-based perspective. People went mad when he published a study concluding alcohol is the most dangerous drug when dangers to the individual and society are taken into account. That research was repeated by a different team of researchers who gathered data from the whole of the EU and they came to the same conclusion.

Yeah, I've read a lot of these articles and pieces related to David Nutt. I admire him for straight talking the politician wankers and not standing down even when faced with obstinate resistance from ignorant or ill-intentioned politicians.

Of course you are in Canada, your laws on cannabis at least are already far more enlightened than ours. Afaik you also have supervised injection rooms over there too?

Our marijuana legalisation regime is not without its pretty serious flaws and has utterly failed to curb the black market. Which is fine, to a certain degree. Why should the cultivation of a damn plant be referred to as a black market in the first place? It's not ideal still having dodgy and violent criminal elements being involved in production and distribution but the stuff has become so democratised here that they've been pushed out more by non-criminal black market operatives than by the legal market.
It's still early days, as well, so a lot will probably change as the rules are constantly being tweaked.
One of the biggest failures here was the refusal at first by the government of Ontario to allow private retail shops. Ontario is the biggest province in Canada by quite a margin (almost twice the population of the next biggest, Quebec, for example) and a lack of retail shops in Ontario to begin with seriously fucked with the whole cultivation and distribution system in the country.
Our government in Ontario originally set up an Ontario Cannabis Store modelled after our Liquor Control Board which is the only shops that sell liquor here and have a sort of monopoly on procurement and distribution and heavily regulate the market with, for example, minimum pricing and shelf space quotas even at private shops.
That wasn't working out and there was a change of government here and the new started opening up the market to private retailers through a damn lottery and quot system which was super bunk. The number of retail shops is still less than in some much less populous provinces. It's slowly opening up more though.
It will take time, but I'm sure in the next decade it will become quite sophisticated.

As for supervised injection sites, we do indeed have those, all over the place. They've become so socially accepted that even some conservative politicians who were traditionally opposed to them are allowing them to be set up in their various jurisdictions.

The most promising development, I personally think, is the GCMS/LCMS drugs testing available in Toronto which is paid for in part by our federal Ministry of Health and is done at two local hospitals through three local public health clinics run by non-profit organisations. If this programme were to be expanded nation-wide, it'd do wonders for harm reduction, I reckon.

In terms of being legal to the extent that people are allowed to advertise it? Almost none. Caffeine, Marijuana perhaps? Not alcohol though. I don't generally agree with advertising potentially addictive drugs. There might be others that on further thought I'd agree to as well, but not many.

Mushrooms or gtfo. ;)

Yeah, I'm not sure I would allow much advertising. Maybe of psychedelics which have a good safety profile and have therapeutic uses.

Id have to think about it in more depth and specificity to decide how to handle each drug, but that's the general principle I believe in.

Yeah, it would be a bit complicated in that each drug would have to be considered independently of others, but I think it would also be in a way quite simple. If we had drugs policy based on safety profile and therapeutic use as a start, for example.

It's not that I don't think alcohol is a hard drug in the same level of other hard drugs, but I'd treat it a bit differently because of its existing cultural acceptance.

I think we'd find culturla acceptance changing quite quickly. Here at least, the cultural acceptance of marijuana is pretty well a ubiquitous fact of life. Supervised consumption sites are also approaching near society-wide acceptance.
Open people to new things and attitudes change rather quickly, I think.

Oh yeah most psychedelics would definitely be in the least restricted category of my hypothetical society. At the very least in the "no license required" category.

Sorry I tend to overlook psychedelics. I'm very much a hard drug user and psychedelics aren't really my scene so I have a habit of forgetting them.

Probably wont be long before it really all is legal. In canada now you can get IV heroin maintenance, there is even IV dilaudid maintenance where they let people inject pills and give em good filters. Times are a changin

Hate to say it... but legalization of all drugs I think would be very very bad for humanity and society. As much as I love a wide-variety of drugs, I think pot should be legal for all no prescription required and thats about it.

Yeah, I’m with you on the non-legalization. The unfortunate result of a broad social endorsement for many of these drugs, is that it leads to random, indiscriminate use by many who just let their behavior get out of hand. Personally, the discreet and clandestine aspect of serious psychedelics is part of their charm.

Cocaine fucks you up.

Speed fucks you up.

I’m tired of pot already...

Let’s all watch as LSD is proven to mitigate the effects of Alzheimer’s...

Correct my memory, ( ha. ) but I believe that the substance flushes “Amyloid” - - - ( uh...correct me please ) plaques from the 5-HT2A receptor areas in yur ol’crusty noggin’.

Back to the subject... keeping drugs from free-form distribution appears to be a matter of maintaining social ORDER.

BTW: I hate coke, and what it does to people. ( Myself included )

Cheers,
Bryan

Yeah, I've read a lot of these articles and pieces related to David Nutt. I admire him for straight talking the politician wankers and not standing down even when faced with obstinate resistance from ignorant or ill-intentioned politicians.

Our marijuana legalisation regime is not without its pretty serious flaws and has utterly failed to curb the black market. Which is fine, to a certain degree. Why should the cultivation of a damn plant be referred to as a black market in the first place? It's not ideal still having dodgy and violent criminal elements being involved in production and distribution but the stuff has become so democratised here that they've been pushed out more by non-criminal black market operatives than by the legal market.
It's still early days, as well, so a lot will probably change as the rules are constantly being tweaked.
One of the biggest failures here was the refusal at first by the government of Ontario to allow private retail shops. Ontario is the biggest province in Canada by quite a margin (almost twice the population of the next biggest, Quebec, for example) and a lack of retail shops in Ontario to begin with seriously fucked with the whole cultivation and distribution system in the country.
Our government in Ontario originally set up an Ontario Cannabis Store modelled after our Liquor Control Board which is the only shops that sell liquor here and have a sort of monopoly on procurement and distribution and heavily regulate the market with, for example, minimum pricing and shelf space quotas even at private shops.
That wasn't working out and there was a change of government here and the new started opening up the market to private retailers through a damn lottery and quot system which was super bunk. The number of retail shops is still less than in some much less populous provinces. It's slowly opening up more though.
It will take time, but I'm sure in the next decade it will become quite sophisticated.

As for supervised injection sites, we do indeed have those, all over the place. They've become so socially accepted that even some conservative politicians who were traditionally opposed to them are allowing them to be set up in their various jurisdictions.

The most promising development, I personally think, is the GCMS/LCMS drugs testing available in Toronto which is paid for in part by our federal Ministry of Health and is done at two local hospitals through three local public health clinics run by non-profit organisations. If this programme were to be expanded nation-wide, it'd do wonders for harm reduction, I reckon.

That's all some very good harm reduction going on!

I have read about the issues with the legal weed market, main thing seems to be not enough legal dispensary licenses being given out so people in rural areas especially just end up buying on the black market like usual. Seems like a system that will be developed over time though, it's early days so far. Still much much better than what we have in the UK.

Heroin loves me more. Sure heroin might hurt me sometimes, but that's just because I upset heroin by trying to leave, it's my fault really. When I just do what heroin wants, heroin is really good to me.

:D

As a friend of mine always said: "opiates are like getting a hug from an abusive lover."

That's all some very good harm reduction going on!

I have read about the issues with the legal weed market, main thing seems to be not enough legal dispensary licenses being given out so people in rural areas especially just end up buying on the black market like usual. Seems like a system that will be developed over time though, it's early days so far. Still much much better than what we have in the UK.

As a friend of mine always said: "opiates are like getting a hug from an abusive lover."
Buprenorphine/subutex is like smelling the scent of a person you love but not quite touching them

Heroin loves me more. Sure heroin might hurt me sometimes, but that's just because I upset heroin by trying to leave, it's my fault really. When I just do what heroin wants, heroin is really good to me.

:D

More psychs for me then? Cheers, mate. :)

All of them. Calculate a tax to deal with the product's "negative externalities", i.e. people getting high and acting in reckless or irresponsible ways (this part could be modeled after what happened with the tobacco industry) and have a certain number of state-operated distribution points where users could access the pharmaceutically-pure drug in measured doses. This would allow outreach workers and others dedicated to helping people who may have problems with an addiction or dependency to reach the larger drug-using community within a safe context, as they can now in places where "shooting galleries" operate. Immediately release all prisoners who are serving time on a non-violent drug charge (these people represented around half of the people serving a year or more in federal prison in 2015, haven't seen more recent stats). Take a portion of the federal drug interdiction budget and use it fund rehabilitation clinics and support programs for drug addicts...dedicate any additional funds from the bogus "war on drugs" to the material re-investment in poor communities and neighborhoods hit hardest by aforementioned "war", along with a sincere apology and promises of continuing help and investment.

That's what I wish would happen anyway. lol. Decriminalization would be OK, and bring some benefits (like public outreach and HR resources for drug users), but doesn't go far enough IMO. The war on drugs is an atrocity but it's an atrocity that allows some people (both on the legal and illegal side of the equation) a chance to make money so it'll continue...I'm hopeful, though, there's been some promising developments regarding drug policy reform in Europe and the Americas over the past decade or so.

Name brand prescription Xanax for all....
And a rubber room to take a break if need be.

Speaking of which, I forgot to mention: at least in Ontario (though, I think it's Canada-wide) you can get a naloxone kit for free at any chemist's.

There's openly available naloxone here too, you can get it without a script but only from drug addiction clinics so they can show you how to use it first. Anyone can get it by going in and saying they have a friend/relative who is an addict.

I'm not sure if it's free, but any charge would be minimal I imagine. Generics are usually cheap over here.

All drugs definitely should not be legalized. There would be so many more deaths because it would be more accessible. There would be tons of car accidents from more people driving under the influence. People running around naked from bad trips. Children thinking this is all okay and they can live that way. We would lose so many loved ones. The ones wanting to legalize everything arent thinking about how everyone else would be affected, just them. I use all types of drugs but that does not mean it should be legal.

All drugs definitely should not be legalized. There would be so many more deaths because it would be more accessible. There would be tons of car accidents from more people driving under the influence. People running around naked from bad trips. Children thinking this is all okay and they can live that way. We would lose so many loved ones. The ones wanting to legalize everything arent thinking about how everyone else would be affected, just them. I use all types of drugs but that does not mean it should be legal.

There are different kinds of legal.

Im aware. Either way if it was any type of legal it would be more accessible and would lead to more problems. Some should be decriminalized, but not legal.

Sure seems like we've had no end of problems and deaths caused by that kind of thinking already. I'd say it's at least worth a try rather than just accepting all the deaths and crime the illegal drug problem causes.

All those fentanyl deaths we might have prevented just for a start.

There's plenty of death and harm caused directly by making them illegal.

And there's no end of policies that have been opposed on extremely similar grounds, that when finally tried turned out extremely effective. Similar arguments were made against needle exchanges, free drug testing, methadone clinics, supervised injection centers, just to name a few.

All had someone crying that it sends a message of acceptability. That it's the wrong approach because it doesn't aim to just stop drug use entirely.