• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc What's your subjective experience with Gamma-Hydroxybutyric Acid?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter

An oxymoron, no?

"Stimulated sedating effects produced....".

It's administered as an anesthetic, but also for treatment of narcolepsy;

lolwut?

Does it yield stimulant (consistent with amphetamine) effects or sedative (consistent with benzo's) effects on a day to day basis?

It does some very interesting things on people's sleep cycle which is why it's used for narcolepsy and sleep paralysis

I have no idea why people call it a stimulant. I never felt anything close to stimulation.

It's a liquid sleeping pill to me. Makes you sleepier than benzos.

I never found it to be recreational or euphoric. I thought it was quite boring, tbh.

I have no idea how people report MDMA like effects from it.

I thought it was pretty shit tbh.

Had a disappointing binge, never touched it again.

Gimme vodka anyday...

yeah it's kinda like a stronger alcohol without the euphoric buzz

very unremarkable but good for stim comedowns...

I guess it's stimulating in the sense that alcohol is. It can make you more talkative and seem like you're on stims (or drunk). It's 100% a potent CNS depressant.

Last edited:
A guy in my highschool science class who was an alcoholic offered to sell me some GHB, as I guess he would take it instead of drinking lots of alcohol, or when he could not get someone to buy him lots of alcohol?

I declined as I had heard and read that it was extremely easy to overdose and die from GHB.

He was not into other drugs like my friends and I were such as pot/hashish, LSD, or mushrooms, so I was not sure if he would know how to measure it correctly? I was maybe 54kg at the most then, and pharmaceutical drugs tend to hit me super hard or give me effects that would happen to others on a moderate or high dose of the drug. I had gotten drunk on alcohol but I preferred smoking pot/hashish, tripping on LSD, or taking mushrooms instead.

Some years later a guy a grade ahead of me overdosed on GHB when his 'friend' laced/spiked his sports drink with it, and purposely gave him GHB as a joke and did not tell him. The 'friend', and the girlfriend of the piece of shit that killed this guy could have called 9-1-1 or taken him to a hospital but did nothing.

I know a gay man who has taken GHB and he said how it made him super stimulated, horny, and he got gang banged in both his ass and mouth by at least 5-7 men or more in a bath house where he took it with a couple who were also on it. This guy is Poz and on meds and swallowed their cum and took it unsafe up the ass. He has NO SHAME about being sexually submissive and into RAW SEX.

Last edited:
I get some pretty serious euphoria from GBL but usually when dosed high enough to the point where I'm probably gonna pass out at some stage.

The last time I had some, one evening it physically felt like one the best drug sensations I've ever had. Seriously it was comparable to MDMA or IV heroin for me.

But when you do pass out and come to, is one of the harshest rebounds ever.

I'll take it over alcohol only because of the lack of hangover.

When combined with stims I didn't get the same 'knocked flat on my ass' feeling I get when doing it on its own.

I also enjoy the lower doses as it helps with my anxiety.

In the past I never used it 24/7 but the last time I had some I came close.

Can be very, very addictive.

I get some pretty serious euphoria from GBL but usually when dosed high enough to the point where I'm probably gonna pass out at some stage.
I think it's genetic or something. I tried every dose from 1-10ml (I black out around 7ml) and never had any euphoria at all.

Which sucks since a euphoric depressant sounds like the ultimate drug to me.

Could very well be genetics, metabolism, psycho-social factors, who knows! I'm just glad I don't have litres of it around anymore.

The last time I had some, one evening it physically felt like one the best drug sensations I've ever had. Seriously it was comparable to MDMA or IV heroin for me.

But when you do pass out and come to, is one of the harshest rebounds ever.

I'll take it over alcohol only because of the lack of hangover.

When combined with stims I didn't get the same 'knocked flat on my ass' feeling I get when doing it on its own.

I also enjoy the lower doses as it helps with my anxiety.

In the past I never used it 24/7 but the last time I had some I came close.

Can be very, very addictive.
What was the euphoria from GHB like for you? What do you mean by the rebound, when you come down, or when you are not on it anymore and you crave it again?

I would have probably became addicted to it, if it was like alcohol with no hangovers at all.

Could very well be genetics, metabolism, psycho-social factors, who knows! I'm just glad I don't have litres of it around anymore.
Cognitive.

Physiological response to downstream effecters like transmitter implicators (drugs) will always perform "as a function" of upstream electrical activity.

You could argue that it is genetic, as the genome will code for cell ion channels, which determine essentially the electrical performance of the cell, i.e. the predisposed cognition.

But as we grow older our cognition evolves, i.e. the electrical pathways and electrical cell performance changes, which reverses the initial process, inducing epigenetic changes, changing gene expression itself which had initially coded for said electrical disposition (cognition).

Neurological electrical performance and cognition are essential synonyms of one another (which is quite clearly intuitively apparent on a day to day basis).

But yeah, just in relation to subjective responses on drugs from one person to the next, it's all in the cognizance/cognition/neural-electrical-upstream-function (really easy example of this is the looney dipshit we all knew as a kid who had a taste of alcohol and almost kills himself or someone else; i.e. cognitive state affecting drug response)

What was the euphoria from GHB like for you? What do you mean by the rebound, when you come down, or when you are not on it anymore and you crave it again?

I would have probably became addicted to it, if it was like alcohol with no hangovers at all.
It felt like pleasurable sensations rushing through my body, warm, fuzzy, barely able to stand I felt so good I just wanted to roll around in bed, coupled with a noticeable mood lift mentally. So yeah...it can be really nice for me sometimes. I used to also love combining with cannabis for added euphoria.

By rebound I meant, when you do get knocked out by G and come to a couple hours later when it's worn off, there's a period of say 20mins where you feel pretty shitty/raw mentally, and just wanna be wrapped in a blanket or something.

Old school ravers sometimes would call it "liquid X," as in Ecstasy as in MDMA, which is stupid and deceptive, but not entirely without basis in reality. It can get you in a state that is almost reminiscent of an entactogen in a way that is difficult to describe. You are extremely content, anxieties fade away, social anxieties especially, things feel like they are just "flowing." It is very pleasant. It can be sedating in the sense of wanting to melt into your chair but you can dance too on a reasonable dose. You look like you are fucked up though. It doesn't feel intoxicating per se like booze, but it can be. It's not especially dangerous by itself, but mixing with other downers can escalate into "oh-shit-I'm-dead."

I don't care what people say, GBL and 1,4-B aren't the same, GHB is way better. Things that are sort of similar are higher doses of some of the weird branched alcohols, but that feels much dirtier and more intoxicating, and high doses of pregabalin, which isn't quite as magical.

Old school ravers sometimes would call it "liquid X," as in Ecstasy as in MDMA, which is stupid and deceptive, but not entirely without basis in reality. It can get you in a state that is almost reminiscent of an entactogen in a way that is difficult to describe. You are extremely content, anxieties fade away, social anxieties especially, things feel like they are just "flowing." It is very pleasant. It can be sedating in the sense of wanting to melt into your chair but you can dance too on a reasonable dose. You look like you are fucked up though. It doesn't feel intoxicating per se like booze, but it can be. It's not especially dangerous by itself, but mixing with other downers can escalate into "oh-shit-I'm-dead."

I don't care what people say, GBL and 1,4-B aren't the same, GHB is way better. Things that are sort of similar are higher doses of some of the weird branched alcohols, but that feels much dirtier and more intoxicating, and high doses of pregabalin, which isn't quite as magical.

I've achieved similar states with alcohol (ab)use that are reminiscent of the MDMA experience, but it takes a lot of practice...

Yeah I did not understand how if it was basically like alcohol why raver/kandy kids called it 'liquid ecstasy'?

I am glad I never used it. I was careful and never mixed downers, unlike friends of mine who are lucky to be alive.

I've achieved similar states with alcohol (ab)use that are reminiscent of the MDMA experience, but it takes a lot of practice...
I have never taken MDMA but alcohol would do this to me, when I would drink it in large amounts.

I do not reccomend this at all.

I took between 2-4 grams with almost no effect - could have drove. Might try again sometime

I don't get that *at all*. Alcohol seriously sucks for me, but I drink it anyway. But its really antisocial for me.

Limited experience.
But I remember it having a sleepy drunken come up, somewhere in between alcohol and benzos for me.
I never took it too far though. As with benzos I think the experience can vary wildly from person to person.
I also think there are varying thresholds with it, I guess somewhat similar to DXM. I missed any part that was
stimulating, but I imagined it being similar to the description of Kratom. Low doses come off as stimulating
while higher doses come off as sedating.

It *may* have been like a mild dose of a benzo to me, like maybe 4 grams ghb = 0.25mg alprazolam. Is this typical?

Yup.
Alcohol, Benzos and GHB all effect GABA receptors variously in the brain.

Can't speak for the dosages though, i'm not so versed with GHB, or Alprazolam for that matter.