Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like it was pretty reminiscent of the Dark Tower series. Granted, I havent finished the series yet, but it had that feel to it.

Great series. Although the first novel was a bit unapproachable I thought and not in the same voice as the others, I believe that is due to King editing it after the fact so that it fits as the first of a series (was initially meant to be stand-alone).
Heard the new film adaption is total crap though, but that seems to be the fate of many of King's cinematic adaptions :)

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

8.5/10

Tarantino has done it again. I didn't get a lot of the boomer-type references at first, but ultimately I loved it.

8.5/10

Tarantino has done it again. I didn't get a lot of the boomer-type references at first, but ultimately I loved it.

Do you have a Tarantino film list? If so where does it rank?

8.5/10

I really want to see this but I'm honestly not the biggest Tarantino fan. Does Is it have the same cheap over the top shock value as his other films?

Last edited:
Do you have a Tarantino film list? If so where does it rank?
It ranks fairly high up for me. Not a huge buff, but I can make a small list. There are still a few I'd like to see that I haven't yet (like django, etc), but this is what I have so far, roughly in order of preference:

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Kill Bill 1
3. Kill Bill 2
4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
5. Natural Born Killers
6. Reservoir Dogs
7. Inglorious Bastards

I really want to see this but I'm honestly not the biggest Tarantino fan. Does Is it have the same cheap over the top shock value as his other films?
It's actually way more tame than most of his shock value type movies. It only has one (hilariously) violent scene and it's at the end of the movie. Def. give this one a shot if you don't like his other violent movies.

It ranks fairly high up for me. Not a huge buff, but I can make a small list. There are still a few I'd like to see that I haven't yet (like django, etc), but this is what I have so far, roughly in order of preference:

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Kill Bill 1
3. Kill Bill 2
4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
5. Natural Born Killers
6. Reservoir Dogs
7. Inglorious Bastards

It's actually way more tame than most of his shock value type movies. It only has one (hilariously) violent scene and it's at the end of the movie. Def. give this one a shot if you don't like his other violent movies.

Cool...you should watch Hateful Eight. It's one of my favorites and probably his most underrated films imo.

Hateful Eight wasn't bad but I wouldn't rank it highly. IMO, Kill Bill 2 was his peak film. Maybe Pulp Fiction after that.

Also surprised to see no mention of Jackie Brown, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

aniara_ver2.jpg

Watched this on 2cb the other day.

A large spaceship is taking a quick simple trip to Mars and things go wrong causing it to get knocked off coarse. I thought it did a good job at capturing the hopeless despair of trapped with nowhere to go for an extended period of time.

I’m gonna throw out a good movie here: Mile 22 staring Mark Whalburg! Fantastic movie, non stop action guns killin and a trust you never see comin! I’d have to rate it 8/10 stars would be 9/10 but Rhonda rousy can’t act and I applaud her final scene just good riddance!

Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (2018)

The first was awesome (pun intended) and I really wondered how they'd pull together a second one. Rather than stick to the same lego world this one sought to break through to a somewhat alternate reality where some of their characters had gone, and our hero sought to save them. For adults, we could see the alternate reality and how it was coming into play, but it wasn't overbearing. The move overall struck me as trying to play itself out as a kids film, and at the same time as an adult level film (there were A LOT of references to catch if you were looking), but it felt like it tried too hard to operate on two levels at once rather than focus and deliver a solid overall film. There were a lot of moments where old tropes where revived from the first film, which was enjoyable and at the same time helping you transition to the current film with the old connection to the characters. All in all, it felt like something was missing while they were trying to provide twice what you expected. Good film for kids and adults of all ages. If the first was a 9, this falls to 8 or 8.5, so still worth watching.

Spent the last weekend on my own again, meaning late night movie binging. Decided to go back for a pair of Quinten Tarantino films:

Reservoir Dogs (1992)

I went back to watch this one again. I had downloaded a copy of the 10y anniversary edition to hear the narration and comment soundtrack, but it utterly sucked. Seemed like someone took a ton of audio quotes from various interviews and just pasted them in randomly - no flow, no connection to the current scene, etc. So, back to just enjoying the movie on it's own, and it was pretty damn good all these years later. It's showing it's age a bit, which, given it's had 25+ years of others who built off the impact it made will dim it's spotlight a bit. But, it still has that gritty feel, and the torture scene carries a lot of the original impact. Character development, and story overlaps are still enjoyable this many years later. Definitely a good spend of time. 9/10.

Pulp Fiction (1994)

This one has changed in terms of experience with years of hindsight. I like films where there are a few different story lines that overlap like this, and it's a joy seeing such an awesome cast all around (with several familiar faces from Reservoir Dogs). Ultimately, the difference between now and watching it long ago is picking up on a few more subtleties and truly enjoying moments of laughing my ass off, whereas the first time through it was more of a 'wtf is going on' type viewing. This was a shear delight to view from beginning to end, cheering for some of the moments I knew were coming up next, and generally knowing this was a top spend of my time. I highly recommend revisiting this for anyone with a free night. I never give perfect scores (good or bad) but this gets a 9.9/10.

Watched these yesterday:

Haunting on Fraternity Row - fun frat movie for the most part but sucks ass as a horror movie. Any "horror" is extremely lame and only occurs in the last 15 minutes.

Esteros - One of the most beautiful romance movies I have ever seen

White Chicks - One of my favourites. Seen it many times but always makes me laugh.

Strangers on a Train

I'm unemployed and fairly ill lately, and my wife is at work 9-5 M-F so I've got a lot of alone time. Decided to watch this Alfred Hitchcock classic to kill some time today.

I'm not much for thrillers, I have to be in the mood or something. Today I guess I was. I really quite enjoyed the film; unlike many modern thrillers, it kept me guessing up till the last scene. The filmography that Hitchcock utilized was simply exquisite considering the film came out in 1951. The lead characters were acted extremely well. This film could have come out today and would definitely win an Oscar or two. If it weren't for the screen ratio and the black and white picture, it would blend right in. I was truly impressed. Almost 70 years old and puts modern film techniques to shame.

Give it a watch if you like dark crime thrillers.

8/10

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood

I ventured to the local cinema to give this a watch yesterday. I have to say, I was very happy to see Tarantino finally break his 'bloody revenge flick' spell that was getting tired and boring. Some might argue that Hateful 8 was that break, but I disagree, due to some elements of the film, most primarily Samuel Jackson's character.

Anyways. I thoroughly enjoyed the film. The 3 hour run time seemed a bit unnecessary, but in a year filled with absolute crap and trash (where I'm most excited about the 9th Star Wars film... blech) this film stood out like a Mary Kay Cadillac in a ghetto. I'm not sure that I was able to glean a point or even a plot from the film, and yet it still kept me riveted. The ending convinced me that it was supposed to be like an alternate reality (Once upon a time... and all that), and I have to say that the performance from both DiCaprio and Pitt was fantastic. They've both really hit their stride in recent years.

Little cameos from Kurt Russel and Al Pacino gave me a chuckle, and I enjoyed the 60s period piece nature of the film. The Paul Revere and the Raiders album that Margot Robbie's character plays early on is one I actually picked up for a buck myself at an old hippy record shop back where I went to college, and I also have the Vanilla Fudge record that has the final scene's song on it (a cover of Keep Me Hanging On, Vanilla Fudge did some AMAZING covers back in the 60s).

All in all, if you're a fan of 60s pop culture, and a sort of Woody Allen type approach to a Tarantino film, you'll love Once Upon a Time. I highly recommend making the trip to the theaters to see it on the big screen before it's gone.

8.2/10

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.