• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

whats the best kind of martial arts?

Portillo

Bluelighter
Im looking for a martial art to try and im thinking about either wing chun or jeet kune do. But most ppl nowadays are into the MMA/UFC type of fighting.

Last edited:
who really cares what others are into?

when you say "best", you need to be more specific. what do you want to gain from training? is it for fitness? is it for the art? is it simply to kick someones arse?

all martial arts have value in some way or another. it really doesn't matter which you choose, as long as you get what you want from it.

besides, everyone knows that samurai owns all :p

Kungfu like Tai Chi or Wing Chun will age well with you. If you take Wing Chun prepare to have your eyes poked out.

Judo
I'm biased though, my boyfriend was a national judo player =D
I've seen videos of him playing, OH MY GOD so fucking hot 8o 8o 8o

I also <3 watching Capoeira

Judo seems to be a pretty good/easy martial art to start out with. And what about Karate?

judo..pffffft! most useless form of MA there is!......here let me grapple your collar and twist you over my shoulder!

there is only one true form, only one a real man will do

Muay Thai

or STFU!!!

filenet said:
judo..pffffft! most useless form of MA there is!......here let me grapple your collar and twist you over my shoulder!
Hahahaha I KNEW I would get that response!!
Well, I think it's hot so shut the hell up hehe :p

Impacto Profundo said:
who really cares what others are into?

when you say "best", you need to be more specific. what do you want to gain from training? is it for fitness? is it for the art? is it simply to kick someones arse?

all martial arts have value in some way or another. it really doesn't matter which you choose, as long as you get what you want from it.

besides, everyone knows that samurai owns all :p

Yes im interested in kicking arse, the art and gaining mental strength. But i also want it to be street smart and practical.

The only other form of exercise i do is skateboarding, and seeing how im so bored with life and have absolutely nothing going for me, i thought id try martial arts.

muay thai will develop your fitness and kickheadedness considerably, but i don't think it touches on the finer points of patience and discipline one may achieve from the more artistic forms from japan and china.

there's something to earning the perspective that the more dangerous you are the more you try to not use it.

^ sounds like a load of zen bullshit to me!

if you want to be that sort of person do tai chi!

Impacto Profundo said:
there's something to earning the perspective that the more dangerous you are the more you try to not use it.

The three stages of Aikido:
1. We fight I get hurt
2. We fight you get hurt
3. We fight no one gets hurt

Portillo said:
Yes im interested in kicking arse, the art and gaining mental strength. But i also want it to be street smart and practical.

Then Balintawak is perfect for you. Filipino stick fighting. You train with one stick about the length of your arm and it's all about reflex, disarming, and counterattacks. You can adapt it to use any similar sized weapon in a pinch aswell.

neonads said:
Then Balintawak is perfect for you. Filipino stick fighting. You train with one stick about the length of your arm and it's all about reflex, disarming, and counterattacks. You can adapt it to use any similar sized weapon in a pinch aswell.

Not really into weapon fighting. Although it sounds cool.

yougene said:
The three stages of Aikido:
1. We fight I get hurt
2. We fight you get hurt
3. We fight no one gets hurt

Aikido has got it going on - great to watch 2 masters going at it!

I can highly recommend Wah Lum Kung Fu. There is even a temple in Florida where you can live and study full time.

My BF does Muay Thai. It was cool to watch the fights.

I have three friends who are deep into Muay Thai. They all attest that it completely changed their personality, mostly for the better. They also all agree that Muay Thai is not a discipline kind of MA, but more of a practice that would strengthen the body and allow you to inflict lots of damage on opponents.

They also all agree that punching MA in general are more useful than grappling types, however, they do acknowledge that a good wrestler (read: not judo, but greek-style wrestling) is difficult to beat.

One of them thinks that Chinese martial arts are all glitter and no substance.

Muay Thai definitely carries homoerotic undertones, so I can't complain. I do prefer watching wrestling though, for that purpose ;)

As for me, I would like to try Tai Chi, but can't find a good place to do it around here... I wouldn't mind Muay Thai at some point, but I am the most frail person I know, haha.

n3ophy7e said:
Judo
I'm biased though, my boyfriend was a national judo player =D

I think the key here is the word play.;)

If your serious about learning a martial art as self defense, I would suggest a combination.

Something like Mauy Thai is effective for striking and conditioning, although I would also suggest a traditional martial art, i.e Wado Ryu.

You would also want something that deals with grabs and ground work as most fights end up on the ground. Aikido is very effective for shaking off opponents - yes we`ve all seen the ki master get his ass kicked - but that was ki aikidio, and there is a big difference between that, and the traditional Ueshiba school. The reason aikido looks so pretty, with guys flying through the air, is because if they stay and don`t move like that, they`re gonna get their shit broken.
Traditional Ju-Jitsu, not specifically brazillian, is also very effective on the ground, as is the Russian (I think) Krav Maga.