• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

whats the best kind of martial arts?

umm if someone jabbed me in the throat or poked me in the eye, that would really piss me off. what other special moves have you learnt? do you understand how hard it would be to poke someone in the eye or jab them in the throat in a real fight? and what kind of training do you do in your martial arts? heavy sparring? what would you do if you were in a street fight? say someone coming at you with a right to your head?

Ernestrome said:
For me i've done a little tai chi, pa kua/ba gua/hsing i, and some kung fu sets, but no sparring. Ba ji looks good to me.

no sparring? wtf... this is the number one sign of a mcdojo, and why these asian martial arts get paid out so much. seriously how do people expect to learn how to fight if they don't get any experience sparring (and real sparring, if it doesn't match up to the type of training in a muay thai or boxing gym, forget it), only doing forms or katas. i know there are places that train eastern martial arts properly (in asia), but 99% of these places in the western world are just bullshit. the truth is most people can't handle proper training, and there's a whole market for people who want to do a martial art because they've been watching too much karate kid movies.

Last edited:
Defense? Krav-maga
Pleasure? I don't know, I would like to get to know judo

Christian Soldier said:
no sparring? wtf... this is the number one sign of a mcdojo, and why these asian martial arts get paid out so much. seriously how do people expect to learn how to fight if they don't get any experience sparring (and real sparring, if it doesn't match up to the type of training in a muay thai or boxing gym, forget it), only doing forms or katas. i know there are places that train eastern martial arts properly (in asia), but 99% of these places in the western world are just bullshit. the truth is most people can't handle proper training, and there's a whole market for people who want to do a martial art because they've been watching too much karate kid movies.

Our school had sparring, i just didn't have time to attend those classes. I didn't expect to learn to fight, i expected to learn the tai chi set i studied, and the first few Bagua moves.

Christian Soldier said:
umm if someone jabbed me in the throat or poked me in the eye, that would really piss me off.
Ok, Jab is the wrong word. A full force hit to the throat, eye, or various pressure points.

what other special moves have you learnt? do you understand how hard it would be to poke someone in the eye or jab them in the throat in a real fight?
It'd probably be pretty hard. But if you were taking Wing Chun for example, the form of the punches are designed to take out throats and eyeballs. Not good for sport fighting, great for self defense.

Bruce Lee liked to do a variation on these punches. You'd see him take on like 10 guys in these sparring matches. He'd hit them once in the face and they'd just fall over in agony. Turns out he stuck his thumbs in between his index and middle finger when he punched... The thumb would go right in the eye, it's pretty unbearable(Don't try this unless you want to deal with seriously injuring someone).

what would you do if you were in a street fight? say someone coming at you with a right to your head?
Me? I don't know what I'd do I'm not a trained fighter.

The Aikido thing to do would be to not get to that point in the first place. Part of their martial arts training is situational awareness. If you see someone approaching you with open arms, dilated eyes, curling nostrils etc... You attempt to de-escalate the situation. If that doesn't work you make the first strike. Not applicable to all situations I know but the point is some of these kung fus were DESIGNED for real world application first and foremost.

This thread is turning into a dick size contest. I have no clue why filenet is even posting on here he has no idea what he is talking about and is just flaming this thread.

Portillo, I've seen that fight before, but it doesn't really apply to anything I said. Those are Royce's rules.. Royce is a BJJ black belt with a Vale Tudo/NHB/MMA background. He's fighting a sumo wrestler in that video whose objective in his sport of choice is entirely different than BJJ or MMA matches. In sumo, you win for pushing your opponent outside of a circle. In MMA, you get disqualified for pushing your opponent outside of the ring or cage. The sumo guy's biggest skill doesn't apply in the match he fought in. If it was his goal to throw Royce out of the ring, could he win? Good chance of it. Could he win by kneebar or armbar? No way.

Weight definitely matters in any situation. It doesn't take a decade of martial arts training to acquire eye gouging or biting skills. If you're willing to take it to that level with someone who outweighs you by a large amount, you better pray you have some good defense and reversal skills.

Pound-for-pound discussions exist for a reason. They're impossible to resolve but universally accepted that weight will always be the different between greats. Floyd Mayweather, De La Hoya, or Chavez could never beat Tyson or Lewis no matter how fast or technical they are.

The 'my martial arts beats big guys because of technique' theme is getting outdated on top of that. Yea, small guys could beat the big guys when some of these martial arts were unknown. The UFC was where BJJ gained its fame.. now that pretty much every martial artist you come across if a BJJ purple belt, the weight differences make a big difference now. Everybody knows what triangles, omoplatas. gogoplatas, sweeps and armbars are now. In 1993, they didn't. The sumo guy royce fought lost every MMA match he competed in if I remember correctly.

Weight is the ultimate difference in a fight of similarly skilled people. The sumo wrestler Royce fought isnt similarly skilled. In his life long trained sport, you don't train to submit or knock out opponents.. Royce did. Also, sumo wrestlers are famous in Japan and that's the only reason he was ever competing in MMA. That was a money fight..that wasn't a fight relative to MMA at all. Boxers and Muay Thai guys have the same objectives in the ring, one just has more tools in their arsenal.

Under controlled environments and unified rules, it comes down to how you train. On the street? If you can tuck your chin, circle away from your opponents power hand, keep your hands up and know a sprawl with a basic submissiond efense, you'll probably win most encounters. Eye gouging and biting doesn't require too much training.

my three years of muso jikiden eishin ryu iaijutsu could come in handy if i could legally carry around my 32 inch blade :(

I'm assuming some of your post is a response to mine.

x0x said:
Weight definitely matters in any situation.
Yeah, it matters ALOT. It's just not the only deciding factor, particularly when fighting out of the ring.

It doesn't take a decade of martial arts training to acquire eye gouging or biting skills.
No, it doesn't. But it does take a while to master it and integrate it into a cohesive fighting system.

If you're willing to take it to that level with someone who outweighs you by a large amount, you better pray you have some good defense and reversal skills.
Sure

Pound-for-pound discussions exist for a reason. They're impossible to resolve but universally accepted that weight will always be the different between greats. Floyd Mayweather, De La Hoya, or Chavez could never beat Tyson or Lewis no matter how fast or technical they are.
Yes, all things being equal, weight will be a deciding factor. The thing is all things are not equal. The differences in skill set development can be vast between any two given artists regardless of size.

First start with boxing.

Then move to grapple skills and locks.

Then make you legs do the rest.

Hapkido & Jiujutsu = Greatness.

NHBfighter said:
No it isnt. BJJ is one of the strongest forms of martial arts out there right now.

But no good if your fighting more than one person.

HypGnosis said:
But no good if your fighting more than one person.

most people are smart enough to run away when they are forced to fight 2 people. And no matter what you train in the odds are against you big time.

NHBfighter said:
most people are smart enough to run away when they are forced to fight 2 people. And no matter what you train in the odds are against you big time.

Agreed, but something like aikido teahes awareness of multiple attacks.