• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

What to do when a friend goes completely crazy on psychedelics?

Dr. Drugs

Greenlighter
This past weekend, one of my friends had a serious "freakout" incident that landed him in the hospital, strapped down to a bed, after police intervention.

The story:

Friday night, I was having a couple friends at my apartment when around 7:30 three other friends show up unannounced, one of whom (I'll call him Evan) is tripping on "acid" (in quotes because I'm not convinced it was real LSD). We smoke and chill, watching a mix of TV and videos online. Evan dosed around 6:30 so he's coming up while we're hanging out. As time goes on, he starts making less and less sense and becomes seriously agitated. By 8:30, he's running around my apartment screaming and making a huge mess of my stuff. The rest of us try for a while to talk him down without success. At this point, he's shouting and making so much noise that I expected my neighbors to call the police. Then, Evan threw my brand new iPhone 6+ at my TV; thankfully he missed the TV but the phone is totaled.

A couple minutes later, he ran out the door into <10°F weather. At this point, all but one of my friends leave because they expect the cops to show up at any minute. I run out to follow him so we don't lose track of him. My remaining friend (Craig) and I get into my car to try to give Evan a ride home. I figured a change of scenery might help and being home might calm him down. He didn't seem to recognize us and ran away whenever we tried to get him in the car, so we back off and watch him from a distance.

After being outside for 15-20 minutes, Evan starts trying to break into cars parked at my apartment complex. Craig and I then realized that if we don't call the police now, someone else will and Evan would be in serious trouble. We decide to call the campus police (since Evan is a student and I still live on campus as a recent graduate). The cops come and we explain that he took too much "acid". Cops approach him and he runs off almost immediately, so the officers had to tackle and handcuff him. I'm just glad he didn't try to fight the officers or he would be in jail right now. The EMS arrives and the officers had to help the EMT's strap Evan down in the ambulance since he's so strong and resistant. They take him to the nearby hospital, where staff tied him down (full ankle and wrist restraints) to a bed in a locked room. The doctors gave him a shot of lorazepam and kept him restrained overnight. I can only imagine how shitty it must have been to be tripping BALLS while experiencing that.

This whole experience was incredibly stressful for me and really ruined my night. Evan was really scaring me, to the point that I was worried about my own safety. It really sucks to be in a situation where you have to call the authorities about one of your friends. I couldn't sleep all night after this. On top of all that, I'm out over $1000 for damage to my apartment and a replacement phone.

My questions:

I have a lot of experience with psychedelics and I've never seen anything like this. I used to live in a house where people (often including myself) would be tripping more weekends than not. The worst we ever had to deal with was the occasional bad trip, something we could easily handle. Nothing like this total loss of mental and physical control.

In the past, I kept some trazodone on hand for people who were tripping too hard. It would bring someone down pretty quickly if talking didn't work. I currently don't have any since I haven't tripped in a few years.

If something like this happens again, is there anything I can do before things get out of hand?
I tried talking him down, moving him to another room, and attempting to steer his trip in a more positive direction but none of the usual tricks worked.

Should my friend Evan trip again? I'm thinking not since it might set him off again but he says he still wants to. Any recommendations as to how to encourage him to avoid psychs?

I enjoy psychedelics but I feel like I don't want to trip again after this debacle.

strap him down. Dissolve as much xanax as you can into something and make him drink it.

A tough one, and I think prevention is the key here.

How much did he take, how much did he smoke, does he have experience with either? What was his mental state like beforehand?

These kind of threads popping up kinda scare me. Did Evan have previous experience with psychedelics? Any mental illnesses? It is just really scary to think that something like this could happen to you while tripping. But I guess there are many things that can cause psychosis.

He wants to trip again after trashing his friend's apartment and ending up strapped down to a gurney for his own safety? What's wrong with this kid?? Does he show any remorse for what he did?

I think you did all of the non-medical interventions that you could. You really need benzos for a situation that gets this out of hand.

How much did he take, how much did he smoke, does he have experience with either? What was his mental state like beforehand?
He took four tabs of blotter, but the dealer cut them himself from the sheet. A friend who saw them said it looked more like six tabs worth. He smoked a couple bowls of good weed in the first hour after dosing and that was it. He's a daily weed smoker and he was mentally stable before he dosed.

These kind of threads popping up kinda scare me. Did Evan have previous experience with psychedelics? Any mental illnesses? It is just really scary to think that something like this could happen to you while tripping. But I guess there are many things that can cause psychosis.

I agree, shit like this is worrisome. He's taken acid at least three times before this, including one higher-dose trip (5 good tabs). No mental illness or family history. When he was having this freakout, it really reminded me of a manic episode or even a psychotic break. He was very agitated, as if he was amped up on a stimulant.

I know someone else who took the same batch of "acid" (at a lower dose) and reported that it lasted much longer than usual. The combination of Evan's reaction, his level of stimulation, the duration of action, and my friend's experience really lead me to conclude that it was likely an NBOMe or something similar.

I'm going to try explain to him that if he takes a psychedelic again, he runs the very real risk of it triggering a return to that state of mind.

He wants to trip again after trashing his friend's apartment and ending up strapped down to a gurney for his own safety? What's wrong with this kid?? Does he show any remorse for what he did?

I think you did all of the non-medical interventions that you could. You really need benzos for a situation that gets this out of hand.

He apologized repeatedly the next morning and made a significant down-payment for the damages. As for tripping again, he has since said that he won't for at least a few months but I don't think that's enough.

Regarding the benzos, I think it was past that point. I was worried they might be counterproductive. The benzos could have just lowered his inhibitions and increased confusion while not reducing the intensity of his trip enough.

The effects of Nbomes should last less than LSD and not more.
The lesson here shouldn't be "I must not trip anymore" but more like "I should not take 4-6 tabs of something sold to my as acid, but that probably isn't, without testing it beforehand".
Buy an ehrlich reagent and test those tabs. It would be nice to know what that really is. It looks like reactions like that are much more common with Nbomes than with LSD..

The effects of Nbomes should last less than LSD and not more.
The lesson here shouldn't be "I must not trip anymore" but more like "I should not take 4-6 tabs of something sold to my as acid, but that probably isn't, without testing it beforehand".
Buy an ehrlich reagent and test those tabs. It would be nice to know what that really is. It looks like reactions like that are much more common with Nbomes than with LSD..

Exactly!!

To be completely honest I wouldn't even have let it get to the point where he smashed your phone. Not trying to sound like a badass but if I were you I would have double-legged him and choked his ass out the second he started shouting his mouth off. Being proficient in wrestling and BJJ is extremely useful in these kinds of scenarios.
I have in my stash two quetiapine pills of unknown strength in blister, which I received several months ago from some fucking idiot I had asked to procure me a relaxing sedative. On waking up; the offender would swallow both these pills along with 20mg diazepam - willingly or not.

I once took some acid at a friend's flat. This was a guy that used to train with me. I'd been round there a few times before to smoke weed and he seemed alright. What I didn't know was that he had paranoid schizophrenia. This guy had a major psychotic break in front of me and became totally impossible to reason with. Now I've seen people in states but this was just something else.
After trying to bring him back to reality for a while, I lost my temper and walked out (easy to do since it was his flat). I haven't spoke to him since but I hear he ended up doing some time in a psychiatric hospital.

Personally I think how you handled the situation was right. I think once it becomes clear the person is at risk of harming themselves or someone else then outside help should be considered.

It doesn't sound like acid to me, but then again I haven't taken acid in so long and last time I did I was often in my own world and a little unaware of what was going on around me. What's evans history with psychedelics like? Has he acted like that before on acid, how many times has he taken it etc?

It's evans choice if he wants to take psychedelics again. You aren't responsible for him so maybe letting him know that you don't want any involvement next time he does take them removes you from any responsibility.

And don't let it ruin psychedelics for you.

Dr. Drugs said:
the duration of action, and my friend's experience really lead me to conclude that it was likely an NBOMe or something similar.

Preliminary annoyance: NBOMe duration is shorter than LSD. If it really lasted way too long, the more likely culprit is DOI.

Dr. Drugs said:
he has since said that he won't for at least a few months but I don't think that's enough.

Okay, so he's suffering from memory loss. That is, he must obviously be amnesic because otherwise he wouldn't want to do it again. Does Evan remember what happened?

Truth is, you can't -- shouldn't -- do very much in this situation, unless you're confident in your ability to restrain the... err... "patient"; dealing with someone who is aggressive and noncompliant usually involves the police for a pretty good reason. What you can do is to recognize a "freakout" situation before it really gets out of hand, and try to calm the person before such.

I think benzodiazepines would probably have been okay; my estimation is that you can't lower the inhibitions of someone who doesn't know what's going on. For that matter, even alcohol is probably fine. Your goal isn't really to quiet the person's mind, but their body...

Dr. Drugs said:
He apologized repeatedly the next morning

Let me guess, he didn't want to talk about it, and headed off all questions with a pre-emptive "I'm really sorry, dude" or similar.

Anywho, I suggest you find the stuff the dealer was selling and send it in for testing.

I would blame the weed if anything. Like it or not, weed has a very anxious side to it. Bringing it into a high dose of psychedelic like that should not be taken lightly.

As for the benzos, I can't see them do anything but helping. People really should keep them on hand while tripping as a safety net.

I've had a trip where I wasn't in control of myself or capable of distinguishing fantasy from reality. I wrecked my glasses, bit someone, ran full speed into a wall, and spoke ceaseless nonsense for several hours, among other things. I think benzos would have helped but my friends couldn't find my stash. Luckily I didn't cause as much trouble as your friend did, but it is not something I'd like to repeat. Once the trip ended I had no residual effects.

Having downers more immediately available and a different, more experienced mind set is what I'm relying on now.

I used to be in the military. We were all weekend warriors. Couldn't smoke weed... but psychedelics were urine safe.... We just did it the military way. Get out of hand, get a fist to your face... sleep a while. Wake up confused.... Better than any other cure I've tried.

Its EASILY possible to freak out on acid. When i was in highschool my best friend had a friend i knew a little bit. Well over the course of two weekends he had two people go completely crazy and lose touch with reality.

This was like ten yrs ago. The main guy mitch had some good lsd so he says. He invites phil over they drop 1 hit!! It may have been two but i remember him telling me phil just took one i think. Well as it kicks in phil starts to lose touch with reality. Starts organizing all the books and dvds in alphabetical order than turned them all upside down. He was then convinced he had to turn everything in the room upside down. He was trying to turn mitchs computer monitor upside down at which time mitch gets scared and gets his father lol. Btw he lived with his dad only. From the sound of the story he is cool with drug use i guess lol so his dad comes upstairs tries to talk him down phil then punches mitchs dad in the face. I dont know how hard but i assume it was a good slug. Mitchs dad then phsysically restrains phil by holding him down. I think they gave him benzos and he eventually came back to reality...

Then the very next weekend mitch invites rob over. They each have 1 hit. Sometime in the night rob starts loosing touch with reality. He is talking crazy. During this time he puts his hand on mitchs leg and confesses he always liked him in "that" way or something crazy. I shit u not. Obviously it wAs akward and makes rob go into a even worse trip. Eventually mitch decides he cant handle rob by himself. He goes and gets his dad again. Both of these times were in the middle of the night. Mitchs dad put on some jazz like kenny g or something to try and calm him.Rob goes nuts, starts screaming and kicks mitchs dad in the balls ! I dont remember the story after that. I just know rob never came around after that night, ever.

I feel bad for mitchs dad haha id be pissed if my teenage son kept having people come over and assult me on acid. These werent like people prone to fighting or had mental disorders. Just scrawny teenagers. Lol he must have had some real deal family hits or something. Which isnt unheard of. I see blotters on the darkweb 200-400ug ! So yea maybe he got ahold of something like that. I dont know. Just thought id share...

How sure r u its real lsd ?

Last edited:
Haha from what my friend told me he sounds like a ex tripper or is at least ok with them tripping. This was in 02-03 lol

The first thing i asked after i heard that was have u talked to mitch.and can he get more ?! At the time i had only tripped on rcs and mush. But after that weekend my friend said.mitch pretty much stopped tripping and we never really talked to him much after that. From what i remember the people who sold mitch his acid didnt like to sell THAT batch
Maybe its super strong and like thier personal high dosed hits.not for sale to the general public.

It seems like some people are prone to having the "psychotic"-type bad trip, where they often don't even remember it, they act animalistic or hyper-sexual and lose complete control over themselves. I've never had anything like that and I've tripped many hundreds of times. It does concern me to hear that other very experienced trippers would have had an experience like that at some point though. Some people seem much more prone to it and those people shouldn't use psychedelics, IMO.

This is why you don't let people in your home when they're taking high doses of unpredictable drugs, too much trouble tacklin them and tying them to a chair and sticking a sock in their mouth. Then if they need to take a wiz you gotta untie them or they'll make a big stinky puddle. That fucker threw your damn cellphone at your TV. That cunt! Next time you see him ask him if you can take a look at his cellphone for a second. Then whip it at a brick wall full force. Then just walk away.

Last edited: