• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

What pills were common in the 60s, 70s and 80s?

Valiums were way popular before xanax came into the picture. Phenobarbitol along with all the others mentioned above

Most popular were Qualudes also called Mandrax, and then they came out with the fake ones. Talwin were big too. And the real black mollies were the shit. Darvon was a great pain killer and then it was changed to darvocet, a shit drug.

Did you ever take amphetamines like Black beauties, or L.A. 20s, Obertol, etc.?

Or did you ever take downers like these, including reds?

barbiturate-tm.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm, all I know are the lude's, barbituates, and speed pills people talk of...remember reading an artical about Methadone clinics in the 70s and people also taking I THINK Barbituates with it, till they realized everyone was dropping like flies from Done maintaince and barbituates...who would have thought???lol Wouldn't mind trying Ludes, Tuonal,Seconal, black beuaties..stuff like that just to see what I missed,lol. Didn't miss Valium though, I guese the first benzo to become popular in the 60's. Think the Rolling Stones had a song for them, 'Mothers Little Helper'. I prefer Klons or Xanax to Vaium though, because valium tends to make me deppressed/just wanna sleep with continued use...it's nice every now and again,40-60mg laying around smoking pot all day on the couch type of benzo.... But ya, Klonopin or xanax over Vals though....

nobody has mentioned green goblins??? I've heard all about them from older addicts

pcp

I forgot PCP. Is it even still around or people prefer ketamine nowadays?
I remember kids at school getting so messed up on it, we called them "teaheads"

Its apparently still around huge problem in chicago and detroit areas! National Geographic's Drugs Inc is an incredible series and up to date for parents,addicts and dealers in a strange yet ironic twist!

Mothers Little Helper

Hmmm, all I know are the lude's, barbituates, and speed pills people talk of...remember reading an artical about Methadone clinics in the 70s and people also taking I THINK Barbituates with it, till they realized everyone was dropping like flies from Done maintaince and barbituates...who would have thought???lol Wouldn't mind trying Ludes, Tuonal,Seconal, black beuaties..stuff like that just to see what I missed,lol. Didn't miss Valium though, I guese the first benzo to become popular in the 60's. Think the Rolling Stones had a song for them, 'Mothers Little Helper'. I prefer Klons or Xanax to Vaium though, because valium tends to make me deppressed/just wanna sleep with continued use...it's nice every now and again,40-60mg laying around smoking pot all day on the couch type of benzo.... But ya, Klonopin or xanax over Vals though....

Oh yep the Rolling Stone song is about housewives of 60's using amph: black beauties to b the ultimate housewives n allowing them to get thru their day!"

I forgot PCP. Is it even still around or people prefer ketamine nowadays?
I remember kids at school getting so messed up on it, we called them "teaheads"

PCP, dust, or wet is still around.

I grew up in an area on the east coast where it's been popular since the late 60s, and a lot of people I grew up with have used it and this was all through the 90s and early 00s. I never used it as I had no real major desire to.

In reply to your other post yes Mandrax and Quaaludes are the same. In the UK, and South Africa and in other countries they call it Mandrax.

Last edited:
I read an old and dated essay from the early 70s by a writer I like in a collection of his essays and he wrote about taking a lot of Biphetamine 20s with a few friends and how they were driving a car and coming down off of them. The writer just described the high as though you were powerful and how if you took enough it could last for 96 hours. I never took that much Adderall or Dexedrine since I was prescribed it in low doses and I took it as prescribed.

I looked up info about black beauties or biphetamine 20s online and apparently they're racemic just like Adderall is. My friends who took black beauties decades ago who've also taken Adderall said how the speed high from black beauties/biphetamine pills are just like Adderall.

Obetrol was just a brand name. I never took them but a friend of mine did take Obetrol and he said there were other brand names like Eskatrol/Escatrol. He also told me about taking LA 20s in the late 60s and very early 70s, and how they were easily available even if you were in the military.

I know another guy who told me how he was into what were called white crosses and how those would just make him jittery and he'd put a few into coffee and drink it before work.

A lot of people were prescribed amphetamines, even Andy Warhol took them. http://warholstars.org/chron/1963.html#awspeed My dad told me how he never took them but he knew a lot of people who did including some woman he dated who literally went crazy from them. A friend of mine who was once addicted to both benzos and diet pills said she took them when she was younger but has not used any in decades. Also a lot of people just took pills they bought on the street. I know an old head who is 51 who told me how in the late 70s he took too many black beauties and he thought he was ODing but he probably had anxiety or a panic attack since he gets those. Other friends of mine who were around in the late 70s said how back then they would take amphetamine sulfate or just get black beauties/white crosses, or amphetamine pills that looked like little aspirin tablets and red and white speckled, and take those and how it was an amphetamine high but that it was in a very high dose and lasted for about two or three days depending upon how many you took. These people also told me how the pharmaceutical amphetamines they would take were a lot smoother than any of the meth they have ever used even ice/crystal meth.

Then when crystal meth which they said was called crank became popular in the 80s and 90s they got into that, and high grade crystal meth but both are now sober.

Another older guy I know told me about how he had access to pharmaceutical grade cocaine in the 70s and how it was excellent stuff and better than anything you would get on the street.

Last edited:
Captagon pills (Fenetyllin) was very popular in Germany in the 80s. From what i have heard, they were wildly & easily prescribed as diet pills - just needed go to the doc with some overweight. They were popular as a amphetamine substitute - even toilette women in clubs would sell them open.

My dad told me how he never took them but he knew a lot of people who did including some woman he dated who literally went crazy from them. A friend of mine who was once addicted to both benzos and diet pills said she took them when she was younger but has not used any in decades.

My mother used to love Quaaludes and what were called "goofballs" back in the day, a combination of amphetamine and barbiturate, I know there was something crazy on the market that actually combined the 2, either that or just taking them together, but she was mainly into speed I guess, wound up in the psych ward at least once from amphetamine psychosis ... runs in family I guess

NSFW:
My mother used to love Quaaludes and what were called "goofballs" back in the day, a combination of amphetamine and barbiturate, I know there was something crazy on the market that actually combined the 2, either that or just taking them together, but she was mainly into speed I guess, wound up in the psych ward at least once from amphetamine psychosis ... runs in family I guess
Dexamyl was amobarbital and dextroamphetamine combined in a tablet actually marketed as an antidepressant starting in 1950 up until 1973. I guess the barb was supposed to take the edge off the stim, essentially. Interesting stuff.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dexamyl

Damn, reading this thread makes me feel like the 60's-80's were the golden age of pills...I missed out!

I was born in '92, so if you're around my age - we missed out on 'ludes, barbs, the best stimulants (like phenmetrazine), barb COMBO PLATTERS (Tuinal), and this is the first I'm hearing about this Dexamyl stuff...unreal!

I want to try it all! I'm lucky enough to be prescribed Dexedrine spanules (the best stim you can currently be prescribed next to Desoxyn, which is impossible to get), and also Clonazepam (probably the closest thing I'll ever get to being prescribed barbs.) I've never tried Quaaludes, the only barbituate I've tried is Phenobarbital (which feels quite nice, a bit like a stronger version of Valium, but I hear shorter acting barbs like Seconal blow it out of the water.) And now we have 3FPM, which is pretty similar to Phenmetrazine, and also the best functional stimulant I've ever tried. To say nothing of Black Beauties...ahh, this thread is making me salivate.

You older heads got pretty lucky when it comes to pills. I'd do just about anything to try Seconal.

Damn, reading this thread makes me feel like the 60's-80's were the golden age of pills...I missed out!

I was born in '92, so if you're around my age - we missed out on 'ludes, barbs, the best stimulants (like phenmetrazine), barb COMBO PLATTERS (Tuinal), and this is the first I'm hearing about this Dexamyl stuff...unreal!

I want to try it all! I'm lucky enough to be prescribed Dexedrine spanules (the best stim you can currently be prescribed next to Desoxyn, which is impossible to get), and also Clonazepam (probably the closest thing I'll ever get to being prescribed barbs.) I've never tried Quaaludes, the only barbituate I've tried is Phenobarbital (which feels quite nice, a bit like a stronger version of Valium, but I hear shorter acting barbs like Seconal blow it out of the water.) And now we have 3FPM, which is pretty similar to Phenmetrazine, and also the best functional stimulant I've ever tried. To say nothing of Black Beauties...ahh, this thread is making me salivate.

You older heads got pretty lucky when it comes to pills. I'd do just about anything to try Seconal.

Always keep in mind. Everything was better back then - at least people think so. By chance i knew some old junkies that started their careers in the 60's. Asked about, none of them ever complained that the meds where better back then. heroine and coke was considered cleaner. The old fashioned hash sorts, like red lebanese and green turk, where missed, but thats it. Nobody missed mandrax, meprobamte, barbs etc. They all switched to benzos and it was totally ok for them - they never looked back.
It might be different, talking to somebody who had his druggie time in the 60s-80s. Of course everything was good back then, they had their "time of the live" and where just young.
Imagine you are a old guy telling some school kid how the rc scene was: "High quality drugs were delivered for cheap". Obviousness he might think, back then it must been paradise.

The people boosting, how great drugs where once a time, are the ones that manged to jump of the train on time or are still searching for the high of their teens.......

I grew up in England in the Northern soul scene which is a load of people taking as much amphets as they can take and dancing for 12 hours. As a 16 year old in 73 there was many types of speed about and I loved all of it. I had a script for Black Bombers (biphetamine) to which I topped up with Green n Clears (Dexamyl) Brown n clears (Dexedrine), Purple Hearts - French blues (Drinamyl). but there was amazing street speed about with one called Speckly blues that would get you gasping and gurning for England. If I was only happy enough to stick with that. but with an addictive personality (so I'm told) I got big into barbs. Tuinal,Sodium amytal,Seconal,Mandrax,Qualuuds. And then onto opiates through one of my fave ever drugs Diconal (Dipipanone and Cyclizine) to which I still have a Methadone script. Script speed is almost impossible to get in England but I see online and in the US there is still an abundance. Could somebody who has done both the old and new script speed please tell me if theyre all the same.

Doriden (Glutethimide) and Codeine combination were very big in my area of NJ, the were known on the street as "hits" or "Cibas and Codeine", at one time Ciba manufactured Doriden and the tablet was stamped CIBA on it. They were the most euphoric blissful long lasting high ever. Nothing can compare to my beloved Doriden and Codeine. Sadly the government strong armed the few pharmaceutical companies that were still making Glutethimide to discontinue them. You see the Doriden (Glutethimide) induced a liver enzyme that made the Codeine way stronger and longer lasting, Codeine turns into morphine in your body but only about ten percent, with the Doriden it was like eighty to ninety percent. Then add the sedative hypnotic effect of the Doriden and you got an intensely euphoric long lasting bliss. Nothing like the Doriden and Codeine combination, it was pure pleasure. When they were discontinued in '93 every one started using H, including myself. I am on methadone maintenance about twenty years now.

At the time I was doing a four on four which was four Doriden and four codeine tablets. They were going for twenty dollars a pop so a four on four cost eighty dollars, money well spent in my opinion. I still dream about them, it was like a mystical experience, a feeling of being "loved", nothing comes close to my Doriden and Codeine. Finding some Doriden would be like finding the holy Grail.

Just came across this while looking up "hits"...they were so so huge in my HS years, the early to mid 80's. I can still remember many of my friends, I'm from Jersey, taking rides to Philly/Camden to pick up literally mayonnaise jars of them to bring back and sell. I never took them but know once they stopped making the Empirin or Doriden, as one of them was found to5no longer have a medicinal need anymore and from what I understood were produced in Puerto Rico, and as the supplies dried up quite rapidly, everyone started coming to NYC to pick up "P-Funk" or "P-Dope" which is what's supposedly sold today on the streets. Many I knew were hooked because of the codeine in the "hits" and needed an equal to stronger opiate so as not to go into full withdrawals.

The shit they have now is just some wanna be chemists mixtures of crap ranging from some morphine sulphate mixed with benzos or chopped up percs and roxies.

Yes...the 70's and 80's were a wild time for many of us lol...especially with the "gorilla pills" or ludes added to the mix lol!

My mom was the biggest hippie (who enjoyed her drugs) of anyone I know. She never was into anything involving needles or snorting, but she liked to tell me that she tripped on acid about 100 times, tho it wasn't her DOC..that was qualludes, and she took them daily for over a decade. That's the one drug I'd love, love, love to try. She has told ,e that you could get the, EVERYWHERE. You could get coke everywhere too, but coke is still popular and afaik you can't get ludes anymore bc they aren't made any longer.

Red Devils sold at 7/11 = Dextroamphetamine aka Adderall

Black pills sold at 7/11- phenobarbital

---lsd was commonly placed on small pressed pills i.e microdots

In 1969 I did amphetamines. Yeah, I was a speed freak. After a while though you get paranoid. I didn't hang around with other speeders - they were out to steal my stash. LOL It was okay, most of my friends did downers. I'd be talking a mile a minute - "let's go out. Let's go to the park. Let's get some wine. Let's go play frisbee". Nonstop. My friends would be sitting around, eyes half closed, nodding out or slowly smoking a joint. Finally someone would say "Oh man. could you just STFU". hahaha Good times. Lot of stories from back then, everybody has them. Not all had happy endings. I'm sorry for the few friends I knew who died between 1969 and 1975. Names of some of the pills - dexies, eskatrol (the best), daprisal, crossroads, mini-whites. Then the stronger ones, too strong for me, the crash was terrible - black beauties, yellow jackets. Friends did quaaludes, reds, percodan and darvon. I know there were more, Those are the ones I remember. In the early days of darvon they had a little ball inside along with with a bunch of powdered aspirin. Friends would take out the little balls and take them with a glass of wine.

Last edited: