• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What is the weather doing in your part of Australia?

^ Did they cut the mice, fish and rats in half to see if they would regenerate?

^ Did they cut the mice, fish and rats in half to see if they would regenerate?

Nah I think they just tried the same thing on mice etc. Feeding them bits of learned others to see if it also worked on them. But no dice!

Damn.

I was thinking I'd solved the problem of why they failed to replicate the results.

Mice, fish and rats usually die when you cut them in half.

(Or so I've been told)

Anyway.

Awful lot of weather about today.

Windy as all fuck here, so windy it is keeping me awake, keeping me away from my much needed beauty sleep

The fact that something responds to a stimuli doesn't mean it necessarily feels pain. I guess plenty of people find it convenient to ignore things that don't fit with their world view.

Oh, I know, I was just talking about the anti-fishing activists who I'm sure will be holding this up as "proof" that fish feel pain. I should have been more clear.

Yeah, I'm a vegetarian for ethical reasons but I absolutely hate the distortion of fact by vegetarian organisations. As far as fishing goes I'm a little bit opposed to it due to the shear devastation we've wracked upon the ocean's ecosystems in the past few hundred years. Hobby fishing in this country is really well regulated but commercial fishing worldwide has a lot to answer for.

Why is pain a bad thing anyway? It is just a firing of neurons. For some the same stimulus is nothing more than an irritation while others cry out from a mere brush. I have patients who cry and moan not because it is painful but because "they can feel it moving" when I extract a tooth. I have dislocated fingers in rugby rucks and snapped them back into place then played out the game. I doubt I was in any less pain than another person whose finger dislocates, it is just a mind over matter. What about the pain after completing a difficult climb up a mountain. Sometimes pain is pleasurable. Besides the article above even states....

... James Rose, an expert in fish neurobiology at the University of Wyoming in Laramie disagrees: "It has nothing to do with pain - the fish brain just hasn't got the hardware to experience pain."

He points out, for example, that even people in a persistent vegetative state are able to make complex responses to painful stimuli. They can cry out or screw up their faces without ever being conscious of their surroundings.

Personally as long as you don't torture an animal for enjoyment I have no moral problems with eating them. Most fish are dead before the boat gets back to port, so they don't suffer long. If it wasn't for the beef industry, slow moving cattle would have probably become extinct anyway ;)

Sunny and 29 where I am sitting. Might have to head to the pub at lunch for a seafood basket with perhaps half a dozen oysters for an entree. %)

Some people are more sensitive to pain than others. While there certainly is a large psychological element to it, I don't think that's the only variable.

Personally as long as you don't torture an animal for enjoyment I have no moral problems with eating them. Most fish are dead before the boat gets back to port, so they don't suffer long. If it wasn't for the beef industry, slow moving cattle would have probably become extinct anyway ;)

Sunny and 29 where I am sitting. Might have to head to the pub at lunch for a seafood basket with perhaps half a dozen oysters for an entree. %)

I don't really mind pain either. It's more the way the industry operates that disturbs me. If it wasn't for the beef industry, slow moving, docile cattle wouldn't exist in the first place. They're a result of years of selective breeding, in the same way that all dogs are descended from wolves, and bred for certain characteristics.

As for the weather, well, it's been a pretty damn fine few days!

Today was a great day to be at work :)

Especially seeing as my boss was away so I just enjoyed the weather and read for most of the day.

They predicted 35 degrees today here, and it was 34 by 9.30am. Crikey!

Total fire ban in Southern QLD

:)

Sorry Klue what was that? I can't hear you over the noise coming from the over worked air conditioning.

Have to say on the sweaty balls scale it looks decidedly Sticky out there

316498.jpg

They predicted 35 degrees today here, and it was 34 by 9.30am. Crikey!

Total fire ban in Southern QLD

:)

What?! That is crazy!

27 in Sydney, such a beautiful day <3
I miss the weekend :(

got pretty shitty pretty quickly though neo

looks like rain, very cloudy outside.

Sorry Klue what was that? I can't hear you over the noise coming from the over worked air conditioning.
316498.jpg
Sorry Busty, but I couldn't reply to this post because I was swimming down in the estuary at high tide. =D

Water was bloody freezing, reminding me it is still winter :)

Its 29 degrees here today.

I love how the warm weather seems to melt clothes off girls at uni.