• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What is the weather doing in your part of Australia?

Wyong Council has made residents pay to dismantle fences, paving etc. in backyards that are falling away to reduce weight on cliffs in Norah Head. Not quite the same as losing your property but it's good to see stupidity punished.

Shitstorm? Or Justa Lul?

Just my personal opinion really

I am happy for people to talk about the weather as much as they like if thats what they want to do =D

No, no.
I agree wif cho.

But should I start aforementioned thread?

I need a verdict.

smash.gif

My little girl got "Student of the Week" on Friday, the same day she came second in the running race and a third in the sack race at her school sports day. The sun was out, with a slight tail wind so her time didn't count.

That is amazingly adorable and makes me so damn clucky =D

May I just add that the weather in Sydney has been so fucking exquisite the last couple of weeks?!
Absolutely divine. Cold crisp air and bright blue skies every day <3

I don't know why people are so down on small talk. Its the grease that makes "polite" society run more smoothly. Its not like this is a forum for advanced string theory.

It started raining here in Melbourne, at least in the city, which wasn't a big shock.

Hmmm, is it my turn? Ya Mum.

See what vanth and I have to do to keep Aus Social alive?

Hmmm, is it my turn? Ya Mum.

See what vanth and I have to do to keep Aus Social alive?

Yeah man, I've seen a photo of Vanth's mum. She is hawt!
naughty.gif

I was checking out the Coastal watch webcam of my local beach and the camera pans across to my secret fishing spot! If anyone had been streaming that a few weeks ago they would have seen me live online! Oh shit! And they have repeats. The. Internet.

It's hardly a secret fishing spot if it's on the internet. But just to make sure I'm going to post a sign with "Klue's Super Secret Fishing Spot" on it so there's no confusion. That'll teach you jerk!

Fish 'capable of experiencing pain'

* 00:01 30 April 2003 by James Randerson

Fish are capable of experiencing pain. This is the conclusion of researchers who observed rainbow trout behaviour after the animals were given injections that would be painful to people. Other scientists reject their interpretation, but the study could still be used by anti-angling campaigners.

The argument over whether fishing is a "blood sport" in the same vein as fox hunting and hare coursing has hinged on whether fish feel pain in a similar way to animals. If they do not, as most researchers currently believe, then the animal welfare argument against angling largely falls apart.

Lynne Sneddon at the Roslin Institute, near Edinburgh, Scotland, and her colleagues, took measurements from individual neurons in anaesthetised fish while they poked the fish's heads and applied acid and heat.

They identified up to 22 neurons that fire in response to the stimuli. What is more, the firing pattern looked much the same as neurons in humans that transmit the pain message. So fish have the neural hardware to transmit the message but does it register as pain in the fish brain?

It is of course impossible to really know whether another person is feeling pain, let alone another species, notes Patrick Bateson, an animal behaviour expert at Cambridge University, UK. But the next best thing, he says, is to look for behavioural responses that resemble those exhibited by a human in pain.

Bee venom

The team compared the behaviour of fish that had either bee venom or acetic acid injected into their lips with animals that had received harmless saline.

The fish given the nasty chemicals showed clear signs of physiological stress, the researchers found. They took 90 minutes longer to resume feeding and their rate of gill breathing was characteristic of a fish swimming at top speed.

More surprisingly, they displayed very unusual behaviours such as rocking from side to side. Sneddon believes this may be similar to repetitive behaviours sometimes seen in zoo animals. The fish treated with acid also rubbed their lips on the sides and bottom of the tank.

"These behaviours are not just reflex responses," argues Sneddon. If a human touches a hot iron then, before any pain is registered, a local neural reflex circuit pulls the hand away to prevent damage. But the throbbing discomfort felt after the event is pain. She believes that the strange trout behaviours are evidence of something similar.

Cry out

But James Rose, an expert in fish neurobiology at the University of Wyoming in Laramie disagrees: "It has nothing to do with pain - the fish brain just hasn't got the hardware to experience pain."

He points out, for example, that even people in a persistent vegetative state are able to make complex responses to painful stimuli. They can cry out or screw up their faces without ever being conscious of their surroundings.

Whether it can be classed as pain or not, Sneddon's work has identified that fish experience prolonged discomfort following an injection that would be painful to humans.

For Bateson that is a significant step forward in the argument : "There seems, already, to be a good argument to say that fish should be treated carefully."

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn3673-fish-capable-of-experiencing-pain.html

Journal reference: Proceedings of the Royal Society B (DOI 10.1098/rspb.2003.2349)

I'm sure parasitic worms also have a way of feeling pain. That doesn't mean I won't nuke their spineless bodies with some toxic drug when the need arises. Fucking hippies and their "sea kittens" 8)

Fine and 24 today peeps, perfect weather for a day at the races. Guaranteed I won't have a bet.

Considering worms don't really have brains to speak of I doubt it. Here's a pretty interesting and creepy platyhelminth fact though:

Biochemical Memory

In 1955, Thompson and McConnell conditioned planarian flatworms by pairing a bright light with an electric shock. After repeating this several times, they took away the electric shock, and only exposed them to the bright light. The flatworms would react to the bright light as if they had been shocked. Thompson and McConnell found that if they cut the worm in two, and allowed both worms to regenerate each half would develop the light-shock reaction.

In 1962, McConnell repeated the experiment, but instead of cutting the trained flatworms in two he ground them into small pieces and fed them to other flatworms. Incredibility, these flatworms learned to associate the bright light with a shock much faster than flatworms who has not been fed trained worms.

This experiment showed that memory could perhaps be transferred chemically. The experiment was repeated with mice, fish, and rats, but it always failed to produce the same results. Likewise, the findings with planarians could not be consistently replicated and thus are somewhat controversial. An explanation for this phenomenon in flatworms is still unknown today.

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Flatworm