• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What is 'the nod'?

You can feel the nod coming on when you start to go cross eyed, then you get to a extremely relaxed state where you fade in and out of consciousness very rapidly. I have nodded while not high at all and it's still very pleasurable, but when the opiate is added it's like nothing else will ever be as good as that feeling.
Do you nod while sober, falling asleep, or while you are meditating?

When I was into opiates and dabbled with them I did not find the nod to be the best feeling ever like I did while being high on a high dose of LSD, cannabis, mushrooms, or alcohol.

I found the nod to be more annoying since I would do it at inappropriate times like in class, or even at dinner with my parents, family friends, and my friends. :\

I completely stopped using opiates since I did not like how I would feel nauseous on them and feel as though I could possibly get sick, and I started to get stomach cramps while coming down off of them; but I haven't used any in 11 or 12 years.

I did not like how once I took them I could not drink at all on them. I know a lot of people do or have; but it's not something I wanted to ever do since sometimes I would drink more than I had planned especially when at a party, when bored, while at a bar meeting people, or out with friends at a bar. Smoking herb while on them was nice though.

Last edited:
ill be on the computer trying to type the my head will DROP almost smashing the keyboard; ill try to type one thing and it may take a half hour because I am completely out of it and barely keeping the head up.

this is exactly how I am. However I've been chasing that nod for a long time. I only got it off Hydrocodone my first time. But some nice snorted Black Tar gets me nodding every time.

Idk about everyone else but I was never aware I was about to nod off.

Its just like, ahhhhhhhh....*out*

When you wake up its actually kind of annoying imo. Depending on how your limbs were situated, there could be some that are asleep because you don't get a chance to properly position them.

One time I nodded out in the bathroom and woke up on the floor with the door locked and both of my legs were asleep so I had to open the door with just my upper body and start crawling around before myn legs weren't numb anymore. Weirdest feeling in the world, and for a split second I thought I was never going to walk again

Or you could have just sat there and waited for circulation to start flowing again.

Also I believe there to be a difference between nod out and black out.

I've heard (but can't verify) that the term comes from what you look like while nodding - start falling asleep, and then your head goes down, and then snaps back up as you startle awake, and repeat.

You dont say

No need to get snippy. Obviously somebody had to ask what it was and nobody explained that. Furthermore, it seems like a number of people here trying to answer said question aren't really too clear themselves about what nodding is.

For me it's the best thing I've ever experienced , first got it from taking 15mg Percocet , now it takes 90mg IR (3 blues) snorted and 1mg kpin swallowed, be careful chasing the nod could ruin your life !

Using benzos to push opiates into a nod is very irresponsible and could easily lead to death. Mixing opiates and benzos is not recommended.

Neither is chasing the nod as it's a fine line vs nod and fatal overdose as the nod is a production of overdose already.

I love, love, LOVE the nod. It's pretty much my entire goal every time I use heroin (or opiates in general). Sadly I find it difficult to reach after using so much. I find I get close and worry about overdose because like taco said, it really is a fine line. I also IV though so if I were to pass a nod and OD I want to make damn sure I see it coming.

As for what it is, it's hard to explain. Think about a completely realistic world that you can control consciously. Kind of like lucid dreaming, but if the dream was seemingly equally as real as life/reality.

Using benzos to push opiates into a nod is very irresponsible and could easily lead to death. Mixing opiates and benzos is not recommended.

Neither is chasing the nod as it's a fine line vs nod and fatal overdose as the nod is a production of overdose already.

Agreed taco you're definitely have to be careful mixing benzo's and opiates. If done responsibly you will be ok, as I am prescribed both. I just keep them a few hours apart especially before I go to sleep. The problem is people take way more than the reccomended dosage and pass out and end up never waking up. Lets say I take my opiate dose at like 5pm and then take my benzo dose at like 8pm and then I can barley keep my eyes open by 11pm. Benzo's definitely accentuate the nod.

I must have a low tolerance as because I get a slight nod off 15mg of Roxi's and I have been in them for a year daily. I have been on and off pain meds for 20 years but only for a couple months at a time do to surgeries and injuries.

Last edited:
Agreed taco you're definitely have to be careful mixing benzo's and opiates. If done responsibly you will be ok, as I am prescribed both. I just keep them a few hours apart especially before I go to sleep. The problem is people take way more than the reccomended dosage and pass out and end up never waking up. Lets say I take my opiate dose at like 5pm and then take my benzo dose at like 8pm and then I can barley keep my eyes open by 11pm. Benzo's definitely accentuate the nod.

I must have a low tolerance as because I get a slight nod off 15mg of Roxi's and I have been in them for a year daily. I have been on and off pain meds for 20 years but only for a couple months at a time do to surgeries and injuries.

there isnt really a responsible way to take them together.
people die in the hospital from this mix, there is no safe way to take them together at home.

Sorry , wasn't trying to encourage anyone to mix the 2 , was just stating how out of control it gets quickly trying to chase the nod , hope no one took it as something they should do.

I must be in a tiny minority I hate nodding and I don't associate it with the opiate experience. It makes me think somethings wrong and I have a panic attack.

there isnt really a responsible way to take them together.
people die in the hospital from this mix, there is no safe way to take them together at home.

That's why I take them as prescribed under the direction of my Psych Dr and PM Dr. Like I said I don't mix the 2,meaning I take them hours apart and hours before sleeping. 3mg's of Klonopin and 15mg of Oxy IR spread out from morning until evening is being responsible as per DR's orders. Dosing all at once and passing out is irresponsible.

Last edited:
its something you just dont get anymore, lol.

oh, to be in the nod stage again. man, that was a long ass time ago. I just cant imagine it anymore; I will hear this stuff is "fire" or other things like that talking about how good the dope in the area is; then I go out and grab a G and it will be gone in no time and a NOD is far from the truth. I never push to far but I surly shoot fast and if I cant catch a NOD or a FEEL it will be gone in no time and its something I got used to and a reason why I stopped using like I once did; dont get me wrong, I still get a good "feel" but after so many years its become a waste of money and time and the Suboxone make me just as happy as dope does - AKA - just kills the sickness; I get nothing from it.