• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc What are the best supplements to help mimic an opioid or benzo high/content feeling?

how well does Ashgwanda work?
If the effects I felt weren't placebo. It was more of a general better sense of being. And it took some time before the effects came up. It also makes your piss smell like horse urine hence its name power of a horse/ Ashwagandha.

Today two pots of the grounded up whole root from a reputable company were purchased, for a bargain price :), which will end up in my morning smoothies along with the Maca root powder and Rhodiola ( a lower end dose/ 300 mg ). I'll report back in a while if or if not it effects my mood, sleeping patterns and energy levels and such.

They do sell Phenibut as a "supplement". The sold GHB as one many moons ago as well.
Yeah because they are amino acid derivites.

To the OP, I've been in clonazepam withdrawal for a few months now and I've had some success with low dose pregabolin kava kava NAC and full spectrum cbd oil.

Helps alot but it's still rough. I had the worst day yesterday that left me incapacitated all day with tremors and this odd non stop electric shock feeling, it was super uncomfortable

If you're on bupe you probably won't feel Kratom. It never did anything for me on methadone.
For anxiety only thing that works for me is benzos . Kava was a waste of money.

Actually I guess if I only dose about 2mg of bupe then somehow feel
some stimulating properties from Red Maeng Da.

I did stop taking bupe the past 5 days bc my dude was able to help his uncle rid of 3 different scripts of 30mg oxycodone IR. My first love a decade or more ago...it's cool bc they are legit(don't have to worry about fetty) and its sweet bc one bottle is the light blue M 30s, 2nd bottle is dark blue 30s that say U 24 I believe, and the third bottle one of my favorites they are a bit small, and yellow. But all are definitely IR 30mg goodness.

If only something like this existed.
Yes I agree. But I guess what I was looking for in this thread is the best supplements that will relieve stress or on the other hand get a somewhat pep in my step while in shitty withdrawal or PAWS.

Just my 2 cents but there isn't a supplement in the world that can compare to the real deal. Whether it's phamaceuticals or something else.

I mean there's some good supplements that can kind of get us there but most fall short. But they are better than nothing.

Best I have found for mild relaxation AND a bit of energy is kratom.

It's okay but it ain't oxy and adderall.

Haha very true..guess I'm looking for something noticeable in the stress relief section of supplements but you guys have been a great help so far thanks!
Good kava provides a solid buzz and stress relief similar to benzos or a less sloppy alcohol.

The only easily attainable otc supplements/herbs that I have found to be similar to a druggy buzz are phenibut, kratom and kava.

A good micronized/instant kava is easy to dose for those who are naive to the whole kneading process that medium grind requires and can actually be a very pleasant buzz. I prefer kava to kratom even though I've been an opiate addict for 25yrs, probably why I actually prefer it to kratom because the nasty, edgy stimulant properties of kratom are the most pronounced part of the buzz for me and I find it quite unpleasant and dysphoric. My opiate tolerance is just too high to ever get anything worthwhile out of kratom. Even if I abstain for months. A good Kava however can be very nice and guilt free because there's no addiction, comedown or hangover to deal with. Just a nice relaxing mood lift.

You have to go to a reputable vendor though. Most people who dismiss kava have bought some vitamin shoppe/GNC kava capsules or liquid dropper, which is exponentially weaker than good kava brew and isn't worth your time or effort.

Last edited:
Good kava provides a solid buzz and stress relief similar to benzos or a less sloppy alcohol.

The only easily attainable otc supplements/herbs that I have found to be similar to a druggy buzz are phenibut, kratom and kava.

A good micronized/instant kava is easy to dose for those who are naive to the whole kneading process that medium grind requires and can actually be a very pleasant buzz. I prefer kava to kratom even though I've been an opiate addict for 25yrs, probably why I actually prefer it to kratom because the nasty, edgy stimulant properties of kratom are the most pronounced part of the buzz for me and I find it quite unpleasant and dysphoric. My opiate tolerance is just too high to ever get anything worthwhile out of kratom. Even if I abstain for months. A good Kava however can be very nice and guilt free because there's no addiction, comedown or hangover to deal with. Just a nice relaxing mood lift.

You have to go to a reputable vendor though. Most people who dismiss kava have bought some vitamin shoppe/GNC kava capsules or liquid dropper, which is exponentially weaker than good kava brew and isn't worth your time or effort.
Thank you! This right here is very helpful..I need to look into phenibut..never heard of it

Be careful because phenibut can be physically addictive if taken too frequently, with a withdrawal similar to benzo withdrawal.
Thanks again...so it appears to me that phenibut is OTC at a vitamin store. Not trying to source but if I were to purchase it at GNC or something similar, would it still be good quality? Or does it vary depending on where you go?
Same with kava kava I just dont know where to start as far as a vendor goes.

If you or anyone can DM me, I think could be very helpful.

Kind of like poppy seeds back in the day, I wanted to buy unwashed seeds in bulk and finally someone pointed me in the right direction and best brand.

Just my 2 cents but there isn't a supplement in the world that can compare to the real deal. Whether it's phamaceuticals or something else.

I mean there's some good supplements that can kind of get us there but most fall short. But they are better than nothing.

Best I have found for mild relaxation AND a bit of energy is kratom.

It's okay but it ain't oxy and adderall.
100% accurate. Thank you

how well does Ashgwanda work?
Its subtle but noticeable. Two things I noticed my mood improved, despite it being affected by Valproic Acid in a negative way. That drug really flattens out your mood. And makes coming dull or immpossible.

Secondly it seems to combat the loss of libido that drug causes. My sexual motivation had lowered to an all time low. Only after adding Ashwagandha to the Maca and Rhodiola this was coutered.

Imo good stuff afa adatogens go. But no Opiod or Benzo replacement.

Phenobarbital?
Its subtle but noticeable. Two things I noticed my mood improved, despite it being affected by Valproic Acid in a negative way. That drug really flattens out your mood. And makes coming dull or immpossible.

Secondly it seems to combat the loss of libido that drug causes. My sexual motivation had lowered to an all time low. Only after adding Ashwagandha to the Maca and Rhodiola this was coutered.

Imo good stuff afa adatogens go. But no Opiod or Benzo replacement.
“Only after adding ashwa- something to the Maca and Rhodiola…”

What in the world are you talking about

Phenobarbital?

“Only after adding ashwa- something to the Maca and Rhodiola…”

What in the world are you talking about
Maca and Rhodiola are adaptogens, Ginseng is the most wellknown. And both these in theory should be good for everything encluding libido and mood.

But it was only after adding Ashwagandha in the mix that the side effects of my anti-epileptic medication. Loss of interest in sex and reduced pleasure in orgasms and flattened out mood were countered a bit.

I am on Valproic acid, mood stabilizer and also anti-epileptic, not Phenobarbital. Levotiracetam is even worse innability to cum and to sleep accompenied by Kepprage. The brand name is Keppra. Glad that is out of the picture. Is it clear now?

Phenibut isn't anything like phenobarbital, it's a gabapentinoid (like gabapentin, pregabalin) and a GABA-B agonist like baclofen.

Rhodiola is weird stuff. First time I've used it was with some methylphenidate (prescribed) in my system and it led to a jittery but not too uncomfortable feeling of overstimulation, so I put it aside for a while. Years later I've acquired some again, they sell it here in pharmacies in standardized quality so I doubt that it's a quality problem - I feel absolutely nothing from it. Not from one, not from three or four capsules (recommended is 1 per day). Never had maca before but it's on my extended list of to-try drugs and herbs. Ashwagandha was another one which did have absolutely zero effects on me, even from 8-10g which should be an overdose. Possible that it was bunk quality but I'm not so sure, wouldn't be the first drug which affected me very differently than supposed.

@emkee_reinvented On which salt of valproic acid are you, sodium or magnesium, and instant or extended release? They put me on VA sodium XR some years ago when I entered the psych ward with taking memantine, which they said they couldn't give me because offlabel and not-wanting-ism so I got first 100mg IR, then some days later 400mg XR. The effects were indeed not too bad, smoking cigs on it gave me an unforgettable rush, and overall did it have some anxiolytic effects without affecting my mood otherwise. Upped that to 600mg after some weeks. I think I was on it for maybe 4 months, at the end of this period I began to feel physically sick and lost a good part of my hair (read later that it depletes biotin in some people and should be supplemented with). Eventually I stopped it and my body recovered slowly.

Time later I was desperate for something legally prescribable to help me and I agreed to try valproate again. This time they started me with 300mg IR magnesium salt and this hit me like a hammer. My whole digestive tract began to hurt like a motherfucker, inflammation and hell knows what. Diarrhea too. So bad that I've lowered the dose and stopped eventually after a few days. This stuff is definitely nothing to take lightly, but I wonder if my reaction was either because of instant release and/or the specific Mg salt.

Do you have experiences with ginseng, mace and/or other adaptogens? Would you mind to give a short report about? I'm currently interested in this stuff but so far most of the herbs were a disappointment, the latest one was polygala tenuifola. a putative triple reuptake inhibitor with good reviews on Reddit etc. but I dosed up to 6x the recommended capsule and got, again, zero effects :(

Phenibut isn't anything like phenobarbital, it's a gabapentinoid (like gabapentin, pregabalin) and a GABA-B agonist like baclofen.

Rhodiola is weird stuff. First time I've used it was with some methylphenidate (prescribed) in my system and it led to a jittery but not too uncomfortable feeling of overstimulation, so I put it aside for a while. Years later I've acquired some again, they sell it here in pharmacies in standardized quality so I doubt that it's a quality problem - I feel absolutely nothing from it. Not from one, not from three or four capsules (recommended is 1 per day). Never had maca before but it's on my extended list of to-try drugs and herbs. Ashwagandha was another one which did have absolutely zero effects on me, even from 8-10g which should be an overdose. Possible that it was bunk quality but I'm not so sure, wouldn't be the first drug which affected me very differently than supposed.

@emkee_reinvented On which salt of valproic acid are you, sodium or magnesium, and instant or extended release? They put me on VA sodium XR some years ago when I entered the psych ward with taking memantine, which they said they couldn't give me because offlabel and not-wanting-ism so I got first 100mg IR, then some days later 400mg XR. The effects were indeed not too bad, smoking cigs on it gave me an unforgettable rush, and overall did it have some anxiolytic effects without affecting my mood otherwise. Upped that to 600mg after some weeks. I think I was on it for maybe 4 months, at the end of this period I began to feel physically sick and lost a good part of my hair (read later that it depletes biotin in some people and should be supplemented with). Eventually I stopped it and my body recovered slowly.

Time later I was desperate for something legally prescribable to help me and I agreed to try valproate again. This time they started me with 300mg IR magnesium salt and this hit me like a hammer. My whole digestive tract began to hurt like a motherfucker, inflammation and hell knows what. Diarrhea too. So bad that I've lowered the dose and stopped eventually after a few days. This stuff is definitely nothing to take lightly, but I wonder if my reaction was either because of instant release and/or the specific Mg salt.

Do you have experiences with ginseng, mace and/or other adaptogens? Would you mind to give a short report about? I'm currently interested in this stuff but so far most of the herbs were a disappointment, the latest one was polygala tenuifola. a putative triple reuptake inhibitor with good reviews on Reddit etc. but I dosed up to 6x the recommended capsule and got, again, zero effects :(
In all these years from all the adaptogens that got in the open thanks to internet. Ginseng was probably the first. Siberian and American/ Indian seemed to do nothing but I once aquired Korean Ginseng from a friend that went there which seemed to work.

Hit or miss these adaptogens: Schizandra, Gotu Kola/ Centella Asiatica, Shitake mushrooms and Bacopa Monierii didn't work for me. Rhodiola and st. Johns Worth caused hypertension, or something like that, in combo with stimulants in therapeutic dosages ime. And without them were not all that effective.

About the comparison between Phenibut and Gabapentinoids they are not under the same flag ime. I can't enjoy the effects of the first but the latter is very usefull against anxiety and stress and had no negative side effects besides a little loss of balance and attention.
Pregabalin cured my Tinnitus when the first dose of 75 mg kicked in, and that first dose was even euphoric. I could barely hear at that point from the beep in my ears ( probably stress related ) and it vanished to never come back. Phenibut just made me feel sick in varying degrees depending on the dose.

Atm I am taking 999 mg Sodium Valproate and 145 mg Valproic acid time (3 pills equalling 1500 mg) time released. But these medication ( prescribed for my Epilepsy ) must be taken with a meal consisting of non sour/ not to warm food. Not on a empty stomach or with a glass of juice or hot beverage. How do you take it? It can also mess with your liver so you'll need yearly check ups.

As mentioned before, Ginseng extract's all variety's, atm drinking tea with the American/ Indian produces no noticeable effects whatsoever in me. Are there people that do get a good effect from it?
And Maca also has no noticeable effect on me but its native uses against Osteoporosis in Peru coupled with the fact I recently broke my Arm and right after that my Clavicula bone. Made me conclude it wouldn't hurt either, and its full of nutritious vitamins, minerals and specific substances.

I'd definitely say kratom. Although I don't use kratom for recreational/high purposes.

I've been using it to get off suboxone. Went from 12mg of sub down to 6mg almost 4mg in the last couple months with kratom.

Really wanted to try it for stimulant purposes but I feel none of that, or maybe it's not as stim as ppl claim or I won't feel full effects till off of sub. Kratom I believe binds to all 3 opiate receptors but sub and kratom both have a high affinity for the mu receptor which sounds like is what makes opiates feel good, but I'm still learning and researching.

However, my holy grail medication was klonipin, when i was prescribed to that I didn't need anything else.

I'd say kratom, l-theanine and dopa mucuna feel the most like klonipin to me.

Had my mom try kratom she's not on ant opiates and it felt just like Valium to her. Had her try a good sourced green MD.

I like red hulu kapuas, green MD and white MD. I take a mix of all 3 every day.

Plus ones higher in 7-OH will be more potent opiate wise as it is 10x that of morphine.

Naga Jolokia/Morichi. Doesn't cause excruciating withdrawals but you need to suffer very first before your nervous system gives up and sends endorphins. In addition it is supposedly healthy plant product. Drug-pepper for masochists. Not very boring.