• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Weird shit I found on the internet: I'm just Curious 24...

Lol that's awesome. I want to see a busker with one on every high street!

People have been building automatas for centuries now, I'm quite sure that thing is real.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Turk
The Turk really existed; but it was a fake, insofar as there was a person concealed inside it playing the game. It's essentially the same conjuring trick as making a person appear out of, or disappear from, an empty cabinet; they move around as you close and open the doors to show the interior empty.

This https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Ajedrecista, on the other hand, is real, as in an actual, functioning machine that thinks and moves for itself, without a person inside. And not at all bad for Murdoch Mysteries-era technology.

It is said, however, that the Turk in its heyday inspired some inventors of the day -- who were so minded to pay to see it, for their own amusement and inspiration -- to build machines to do things that previously could only be done by hand, for real. Nothing as complex as playing a game of chess, but nonetheless an important contribution to the Industrial Revolution. So it wasn't quite just for show. But I think the Spanish

The Turk really existed; but it was a fake, insofar as there was a person concealed inside it playing the game. It's essentially the same conjuring trick as making a person appear out of, or disappear from, an empty cabinet; they move around as you close and open the doors to show the interior empty.

This https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Ajedrecista, on the other hand, is real, as in an actual, functioning machine that thinks and moves for itself, without a person inside. And not at all bad for Murdoch Mysteries-era technology.

It is said, however, that the Turk in its heyday inspired some inventors of the day -- who were so minded to pay to see it, for their own amusement and inspiration -- to build machines to do things that previously could only be done by hand, for real. Nothing as complex as playing a game of chess, but nonetheless an important contribution to the Industrial Revolution. So it wasn't quite just for show. But I think the Spanish

It was very influential, it inspired many inventors of its day. Automata are very interesting as they seem to be one of the earliest forms of what we concieve computers to be today.

hxxs://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLb54FCMt9o is a very well made documentary. I'll post the BBC link as well, it's not on the iPlayet atm but at least it'll give you its name.

I'd strongly suggest watching that documentary, it's so profound in many ways. I thought it to be quite psychedelic too, not in style or colours, but the mindset of it all.

hxxp://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0229pbp

I would like to see a working replica of the Antikythera mechanism. Looks fascinating

ciencia_antikythera04.jpg

A computer as we know it today is basically an automaton. Specifically, a deterministic finite state automaton: it can exist in a finite number of states, and there exist well-defined rules for shifting from any.? state to the next. A classical Turing machine with an infinitely-long tape is actually an infinite state automaton; but it can be shown that any program that completes in a finite amount of time requires only a finite length of tape anyway, so we can just about scrape through, if those are the only programs we consider.

The Industrial Revolution also brought about tremendous social change. Such as Trade Unions; the creation of a whole new class of workers brought with it the need to protect their interests -- fair wages, paid in cash, not vouchers that could only be spent in certain outlets; reasonable hours, rest breaks; safe working practices and protective equipment; refreshments; hygiene and sanitation; terms of employment that could not be varied capriciously on short notice, and so forth -- against the worst excesses of the industrial capitalists.

The city I call Home grew up with the arrival of the railways; and my own modest residence was built, not for railway workers but for workers in any of the newly-created secondary industries that sprang into being with the coming of the railways. The establishment of trade links meant that there were now goods to be made, bought and sold; thus needing factories to make them, warehouses to store them and the raw materials from which they were made, offices to organise the administration, shops, pubs and restaurants for the workers to spend their newly-earned money, schools for the next generation of workers, hospitals for the sick, churches for those so inclined, banks to look after the money. And all the staff to work there, not to mention janitors to clean up after them and caterers to feed them. For awhile at least, there would be tough manual labour building all the new factories, stores, offices and homes.

All those jobs! All that money! All those people! Must have been one hell of a big, scary trip .....

A computer as we know it today is basically an automaton. Specifically, a deterministic finite state automaton: it can exist in a finite number of states, and there exist well-defined rules for shifting from any.? state to the next. A classical Turing machine with an infinitely-long tape is actually an infinite state automaton; but it can be shown that any program that completes in a finite amount of time requires only a finite length of tape anyway, so we can just about scrape through, if those are the only programs we consider.

The Industrial Revolution also brought about tremendous social change. Such as Trade Unions; the creation of a whole new class of workers brought with it the need to protect their interests -- fair wages, paid in cash, not vouchers that could only be spent in certain outlets; reasonable hours, rest breaks; safe working practices and protective equipment; refreshments; hygiene and sanitation; terms of employment that could not be varied capriciously on short notice, and so forth -- against the worst excesses of the industrial capitalists.

The city I call Home grew up with the arrival of the railways; and my own modest residence was built, not for railway workers but for workers in any of the newly-created secondary industries that sprang into being with the coming of the railways. The establishment of trade links meant that there were now goods to be made, bought and sold; thus needing factories to make them, warehouses to store them and the raw materials from which they were made, offices to organise the administration, shops, pubs and restaurants for the workers to spend their newly-earned money, schools for the next generation of workers, hospitals for the sick, churches for those so inclined, banks to look after the money. And all the staff to work there, not to mention janitors to clean up after them and caterers to feed them. For awhile at least, there would be tough manual labour building all the new factories, stores, offices and homes.

All those jobs! All that money! All those people! Must have been one hell of a big, scary trip .....

Love your meandering posts Julie :)

^^ Hahaha. What's the betting they licked up the wine? ;)

The Bin Chicken:

Definitely added this thread to my browser bookmarks. May it save many a future inebriated night that winds up with me sleepless and stuck somewhere where I can't do active, tweaky or social things...

Why do I have a really prevalent fetish like it affects all my sex and my entire sex life, predominantly, and it's NOT on this list?!