• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News Virginia Mother Charged With Murder After 4-Year-Old Son Dies From Eating THC Gummies

xtcgrrrl

Sr. Moderator: SLR
Staff member

Virginia Mother Charged With Murder After 4-Year-Old Son Dies From Eating THC Gummies

Julie Carey, Gina Cook
NBC (Washington DC Local Affiliate)
20 Oct 2022

Excerpt:
A mother in Spotsylvania County, Virginia, faces felony murder and child neglect charges after her 4-year-old son died from eating marijuana-infused gummies earlier this year.

Investigators said Dorothy Annette Clements didn't get help soon enough for her son, Tanner Clements, when he was found unresponsive on May 6 at a home they were both visiting.

Tanner Clements died two days later.

Dorothy Annette Clements told a police detective that her son ate half of a CBD gummy and that she called poison control and was assured that he'd be OK, according to search warrant documents.

But the detective said she found an empty THC gummy jar in the house and toxicology results showed Tanner Clements had extremely high levels of THC in his system, documents say. THC is the active ingredient in marijuana that gets people high.

An autopsy found that THC caused the boy's death.

Last edited by a moderator:
What the fuck. Gonna hide the THC gummies from the kids, brb…

Last edited by a moderator:
This story is actually sounding extremely sus. Like, the boy didn’t die until 2 days AFTER consuming these?? And how much is a “lethal dose of THC” anyway? This doesn’t add up…
Yeah, something is really off here.
This would be the first death from THC ever recorded if true...

Here's a good explanation of why this is unlikely (From Reddit):
For THC, there are varying (LD50) figures, ranging from 1,260 milligrams of THC per kilogram of body weight down to 666 mg/kg. Even going with the lowest figure, a 175-pound man would have to consume more than 53 whole grams of pure THC all at once. And pure THC isn't something you are going to find in even the purest shatter oils and waxes produced. If we're talking commercially produced edibles, then you would probably die from an overdose of salt (3,000 mg/kg) or sugar (1,100 mg/kg) before even coming close to the threshold for marijuana.
Need more perspective? Caffeine has an LD50 of 192 mg/kg, and nicotine is around 60 mg/kg.
https://www.westword.com/news/dear-stoner-how-much-thc-equals-a-lethal-dose-5124769
e: I'm seeing a few replies regarding price now, which I didn't even begin to consider, and the low likelihood of that much money tied up in gummies just sitting around is a very good point.

Yeah, something is really off here.
This would be the first death from THC ever recorded if true...

Here's a good explanation of why this is unlikely (From Reddit):
This is good info. I’m relieved to hear that even if my kids DID break into my THC gummy stash (I actually have them on a subscription order, lol!) they’d probably be fine. But I was joking in the comment above - my kids know better than to touch “mommy’s special gummies” and I keep all my stuff hidden in the closet.

But why tf is the mainstream media promoting this lie? Who benefits from this?

I guess since the article is false there is no need to keep this here. Just going to close it so the naysayers don't come along and say " See I told ya so. Weed kills. "

If anyone feels that an inaccurate article should stay open just pm me and we can discuss it.

I made a post on our reddit attempting to clarify what happened here:

There has been much discussion around this story with many people discounting it as fake or misleading news. I'd like to talk about the reality of the situation.

While it's clearly virtually impossible to die from an acute THC overdose, there are many documented cases of THC related deaths.

- The child actually overdosed on delta 8 THC gummies. The legal cannabinoid market is unregulated. Almost all of the products are contaminated with some level of toxic chemical byproducts leftover from the synthesis process or even added later as a cutting agent. Many of these products are also contaminated with other semisynthetic cannabinoids which are up to 33x more potent than d9-THC itself and have zero established pharmacology or safety profile. While I think it's unlikely this significantly contributed to the death, it's possible.

- All known cannabis related deaths are due to complications or preexisting conditions. Extremely high doses may cause a number of dangerous conditions including but not limited to: seizures, myocarditis, heart attack, stroke. Cannabis can also interact with other medications or drugs and contribute to such things as serotonin syndrome (although it's unlikely a child would be on such meds).

Most of the discussion around this tragic incident points to the near impossibility of overdosing on cannabis, so I just wanted to clarify that such an idea is actually fairly misleading itself.

Please always keep your drugs away from children and pets. My heart goes out to their family.

Also, check out and support our reddit 8)

If anyone feels that an inaccurate article should stay open just pm me and we can discuss it.
A large chunk of the articles in DPMC contain bad journalistic practices, like this one where police claims are reported as fact and not independently validated by the authors.

While I like do like to highlight good reporting on drug topics, we still take the bad stuff too.

Part of our mission is to document these inaccurate articles in order to hold the press accountable, so we'll keep it open.

interesting for sure.....

but ive been waiting for the leg to drop with these gummies being marketed like they are

that's a legal pot state and she probably bought them in a state run store.....so they're probably responsible for the boys death too

do they sell those gummies in a jar with a child proof lock? i doubt it

and please dont lock this thread

Sounds like the kid did die from it, but the death was very likely iatrogenic (probably a consequence of intubation/general anesthesia). So the storyline is true, a kid ate some gummies and died, but what caused the death was likely the supportive measures performed in the course of treatment. Happens all the time.

while it is legal there, virginia does not have recreational dispensaries operational yet, only medical (and there was no mention of this being diverted medical marijuana)

Yea the devil's in the details... Which of course we don't have

And it sounds like the mom is lying too so who knows... It'll be interesting for sure to see how much more we hear about this

Yea the devil's in the details... Which of course we don't have

And it sounds like the mom is lying too so who knows... It'll be interesting for sure to see how much more we hear about this
Given that it’s a minor that died I’m not sure how much info we’ll get

I think we only got what we did because the mother was charged, the autopsy details likely will not become public

Sounds like the kid did die from it, but the death was very likely iatrogenic (probably a consequence of intubation/general anesthesia). So the storyline is true, a kid ate some gummies and died, but what caused the death was likely the supportive measures performed in the course of treatment. Happens all the time.
That sounds like a pretty likely cause of death, honestly.

Right, I mean the child was only 4 years old and probably weighed 50lbs. All sorts of bad things can happen from emergency medical treatment. I imagine he/she presented to a regular hospital and not a pediatric hospital.

While it's clearly virtually impossible to die from an acute THC overdose, there are many documented cases of THC related deaths

Really.. anybody going to post up the links to this? Better be legit or its going to be shot to shit.

Really.. anybody going to post up the links to this? Better be legit or its going to be shot to shit.

One article I read today.

Personally I lean towards the mantra of THC being physically harmless as a little too zealous.

Tell me, how many experiments have they done on 4 year olds with massive THC overdose? Zero, obviously. This mantra also ignores people with preexisting conditions.

I think it's foolhardy to believe massive doses cannot lead to death either directly or indirectly.

I don't see many people lining up to take 10,000mg of THC orally without tolerance, which is probably near equivalent to what a 4 year old 50lb child would experience after eating 1000-2000mg of it. They report "1 container of edibles"... but the mom also had 48 hours to destroy evidence. We have no idea if that's what she reported, or that's what they found as evidence.

I'm being hyperbolic, but the amount the child took or the autospy has not been released.

Heart attacks and seizures are not as rare as you think either.

Last edited:
Its very tragic this happened. I'm confident it will not be attributed to THC. The mother just lost her child and she is being charged.. Jesus what heartless freak would do that <3 <3 <3 She is probably sitting in the hell of a county lock up grieving her child's death.

What if it was Tylenol, a much more dangerous chemical to OD on.. would she be getting charged?

Last edited:
Its very tragic this happened. I'm confident it will not be attributed to THC. The mother just lost her child and she is being charged.. Jesus what heartless freak would do that <3 <3 <3

What if it was Tylenol, a much more dangerous chemical to OD on.. would she be getting charged?

i think she's being charged because she said it was just 1 half of a CBD gummie and they think it was a whole bag of THC gummies and because she didn't bring her kid in sooner

"Investigators said he might have survived had Dorothy Annette Clements gotten help for him sooner."

not that im defending anything one way or another - just an interpretation of what i read