• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News Virginia Mother Charged With Murder After 4-Year-Old Son Dies From Eating THC Gummies

A correlation and a causation are VERY different things.
This isn’t the gotcha you think it is

Researchers have known for a long time that the population wide statistics they are looking at can not prove causation.

One way they have tried to overcome this obstacle is through ‘within-person studies’ i.e. self reporting

Example

One can observe that psychotic experiences are a function of cannabis use, when evaluated over time. So yeah, they are at least quite correlated. But of course that still leaves the question of self medication of psychotic symptoms open…

Yet when one looks at the within person fixed effects model, as opposed to the population wide random effects model, the bidirectionality is no longer evident. Thus we can see that cannabis use predicts future psychotic experiences, not the other way around.

I’ll admit this is a lot of hand wavy statistics, and it’s by no means conclusive, but ‘correlation vs. causation’ just isn’t a sufficient rebuttal anymore

I also just realized you only quoted the intelligence part of snafus post and not the psychotic part, but I guess the point still kinda stands

Dude, I’m 42, and I have 3 children, and apparently lost a few of my marbles with each birth…I have lost, personally, a total of 5 iPhones…I think? A very expensive habit…so don’t be asking ME to help you locate your phone or anything else 😅

Is it possible to die of a THC overdose?

If the child did indeed die of a THC overdose, it would be one of the first-ever recorded cases. Despite being used by nearly 50 million Americans at least once in 2019, there are no deaths recorded from the overdose of marijuana, according to the Drug Enforcement Agency’s website. The National Institute on Drug Abuse echoes this finding, saying there have been no recorded instances of death from marijuana alone.

Still, a few similar cases have been reported over the years and were largely disputed by the medical community.

In 2015, after an 11-month-old baby died in Colorado, his blood and urine tested positive for marijuana, according to a case study from researchers at the Denver Health and Hospital Authority. Officially, he died of myocarditis, but doctors concluded in their report “this is the first reported pediatric death associated with cannabis.”

It’s very probable the baby had a heart problem before ingesting marijuana, Yasmin Hurd, the director of the Addiction Institute at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City, told NBC News. “And [the drug] could have been the last straw.”

One of the doctors who authored the report later clarified their findings, telling The Washington Post “we’re not saying definitively that marijuana caused the myocarditis. All we are saying is we didn’t find any other reasons. So we need to study this further.”

At least one medical professional wasn’t so skeptical of the findings, however.

Jonathan Caulkins, a professor at Carnegie Mellon University, told the Post he didn’t think it was impossible that the death could be linked to marijuana.

“Unambiguously, cannabis can accelerate the heart,” he said.

A 2014 study in France supports this claim, as it found marijuana could potentially trigger cardiovascular complications in young people.

In 2019, a Louisiana coroner determined a 39-year-old woman in Louisiana died of a THC overdose, according to WWLTV, a decision that again turned heads in the medical community.

“It looked like it was all THC because her autopsy showed no physical disease or afflictions that were the cause of death,” St. John the Baptist Parish Coroner Christy Montegut told Nola.com. “There was nothing else identified in the toxicology.”

Keith Humphreys, a former adviser at the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, told the outlet that coroners occasionally conclude a drug was the cause of someone’s death if it’s detected in their system and unaccompanied by other clues.

“There’s always some imperfection in these kinds of assessments,” he added. “We know from really good survey data that Americans use cannabis products billions of times a year, collectively,” Humphreys told Fox5. “So, that means that if the risk of death was one in a million, we would have a couple thousand cannabis overdose deaths a year.”

In response to the reports of the Louisiana woman’s death, the executive director of the UCLA Cannabis Research Initiative told Insider “there is a theoretical THC limit that could lead to an overdose...but it’s basically impossible to consume a level that high.”

“[A] fatal dose of marijuana would require ingestion of fifteen hundred pounds in fifteen minutes — a physical impossibility for any human, even Snoop Dogg,” wrote David Schmader, author of a book about marijuana.

But while there are no undisputed reported fatalities from marijuana alone, the drug can still pose other risks.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article267654522.html#storylink=cpy

Unless you count CHS and resistance to not wanting to still abuse it as an overdose, this would indeed be the first case in history and I don't believe it whatsoever. Kid probably choked on them or something if anything, Idk. Those gummies can be thick as hell. Obviously if you add THC into a cocktail of other drugs it can kill you but that has nothing to do with THC. It's definitely not safe to use if you're super drunk. I've seen all this shit like "if you get high while drunk it reduces your nausea" uhh no, it makes you more fucked up lol. And it won't cure a hangover either, I've had many hangovers worsened by getting high, but I think it had more to do with low blood sugar and dehydration.

Personally that only happened to me a few times, and I only ever puked once despite drinking insane amounts, sometimes around 30 shots. But alcoholism runs in both sides of my family so I naturally had a high tolerance from the get go. It always took me so much more to get drunk which was frustrating. Glad I stopped that shit.

@Snafu in the Void waiting for the studies that show weed causes anything but early onset of predetermined schizophrenia.
An updated and systematic review of over 500 studies from 2022:

"Both high- and low-frequency marijuana usage were associated with a significantly increased risk of schizophrenia. The frequency of use among high- and low-frequency users is similar in both, demonstrating statistically significant increased risk in developing schizophrenia."

Also, schizophrenia is not a genetic "predetermined" condition. It can be for some people, but that's an old stereotype. That's like suggesting psychosis is genetically predetermined. Schizophrenia is basically a more definable version of psychosis that lasts at least 6 months (DSM definition). It's also possible to recover from schizophrenia, which is another common stereotype to think it's always permanent.

Last edited:
An updated and systematic review of over 500 studies from 2022:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jclp.23312
"Both high- and low-frequency marijuana usage were associated with a significantly increased risk of schizophrenia. The frequency of use among high- and low-frequency users is similar in both, demonstrating statistically significant increased risk in developing schizophrenia."
That review actually does not claim to show that weed causes schizophrenia, it only further demonstrates the well known association between the two, to my understanding.

Also, schizophrenia is not a genetic "predetermined" condition. It can be for some people, but that's an old stereotype. That's like suggesting psychosis is genetically predetermined. Schizophrenia is basically a more definable version of psychosis that lasts at least 6 months (DSM definition).
This, however, is a much stronger argument imo and I agree with it

@neversickanymore if you’re “ waiting for the studies that show weed causes anything but early onset of predetermined schizophrenia.” then you’ll be waiting a long time.

The reason is that it’s an ill conceived question. It assumes that schizophrenia is predetermined and not influenced by environmental factors (e.g. weed). It’s kinda circular reasoning. “Prove that a predetermined phenomenon is brought about by environmental factors” is essentially an impossible task. Remove the predetermined assumption and then the question is reasonable

That review actually does not claim to show that weed causes schizophrenia, it only further demonstrates the well known association between the two, to my understanding.
Right, I mean nothing really causes schizophrenia, it gets activated or unlocked. One could semantically argue there could be a single causative factor, but that's impossible to determine.

@neversickanymore sorry if I came off as rude last night. Schizophrenia is a hot button topic for me. It's stereotyped, misunderstood and even mocked by some people. In the modern world of acceptance and understanding of mental illness schizophrenia seems to be an outlier. Bothers me a lot.

I use these for pain. I also have children. That’s one reason this article made an impression on me. Fortunately, my kids are older (14, 13 and 10) and they know not to take my stuff. Which I do keep hidden, mostly. I’m more worried, at this point, of one of them nicking my weed to experiment with